BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 your Daily Driver? Reset throttle adaptions!

12-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #45
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Guys. This is an old wives tale that has been around since the early 2000's. It does nothing.

The best way to do this is simply to take the car out and do some hard pulls. This is why it is called adaptations. My car is a DD. Every time I drive it, as soon as it reaches temp, I do some WOT.

Driving around like a granny is what makes it go soft.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #46
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Guys. This is an old wives tale that has been around since the early 2000's. It does nothing.

The best way to do this is simply to take the car out and do some hard pulls. This is why it is called adaptations. My car is a DD. Every time I drive it, as soon as it reaches temp, I do some WOT.

It is not always possible for reasons of force majeure, e.g. traffic, speed limits, road conditions, weather etc.
Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      12-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #47
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

This worked beautifully on my LCI, thank you!!! Turbo lag almost gone!

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #48
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

_RS4_ is correct, not always possible to drive it like you stole it if you live in an Urban area...I get out to the Canyons on the weekends, but spend more time in traffic.

Definitely not a myth. Noticeable difference after doing it, but everyone has their own opinion.

Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      12-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #49
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:

It actually does something.

BMW OEM Diagnostics/Coding software (ISTAT) has the option to reset throttle adaptions. It's not something made-up, it's actually a part of the software.

"Taking car out and doing some hard pulls" = No shit, you're forcing the adaptions to reconfigure

The guide I posted just resets it for you without the need to drive hard for a bit

As per my experience, it is mode dependent, Stock/M1/M2 are all individual profiles. Some people only use Sport+ when they drive hard so switching to that mode at any time will provide the same fast result. It's only really noticeable if you DD your car, often switch through all the modes, and get stuck in traffic a lot.

Obviously you can retain the quick responsiveness even while DD but that involves a shit load of WOT pulls with traffic around, which you know, is mostly unnecessary, dangerous and dumb (and you only really realize this when you knuckle your car into a pole).

Last edited by Dav3; 12-24-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #50
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Fantastic info. I've always felt my Ms have degraded over time!
      12-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #51
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I tried this... didn’t notice a difference.

I probably drive spiritedly enough, at times, to keep software from automatically softening the throttle response.

Use it or lose it, right.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #52
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
If your M2 progressively feels more sluggish over time and you DD your car or have spent most of the cars life in traffic, you probably need to reset your throttle adaptions.

Modern BMW's basically use a form adaptive tech that adjusts throttle response to typical/consistent driving scenarios. I'm guessing it's been implemented a bit for comfort and a bit for consumption/emissions.

The main issue with this technology is that the car has no idea on how hard the owner wants to drive on any given day and requires a consistent driving style to update to a new profile.

My typical workday route involves 70% severely congested and claustrophobic traffic. The remaining 30% is instead free open highway. Even in my scenario, where the two driving scenarios are somewhat balanced out, I've noticed that over time the car just doesn't pull that hard anymore.

The fix? Reset throttle adaptions! It takes 5 minutes with no effort at all.

Taken from another thread, the instructions are as follows:

Push Engine button ON (once; do not start engine)
Step on the throttle pedal down (all the way down)
Hold it there for 30-40 seconds
With throttle still down, push Engine button OFF
Release throttle
Wait 2 minutes
Start car normally. Done

I've done the throttle reset for each mode (felt necessary to repeat the above process for Sport+) and the car feels completely healed. Now I can easily do aggressive pulls with responsive feedback without feeling like there's any turbo lag. Just try it out!
This actually has no effect on an M2 competition. Contact your local BMW Mdivision and mention throttle reset. You will get laughed at.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #53
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurkle View Post
Quote:
If your M2 progressively feels more sluggish over time and you DD your car or have spent most of the cars life in traffic, you probably need to reset your throttle adaptions.

Modern BMW's basically use a form adaptive tech that adjusts throttle response to typical/consistent driving scenarios. I'm guessing it's been implemented a bit for comfort and a bit for consumption/emissions.

The main issue with this technology is that the car has no idea on how hard the owner wants to drive on any given day and requires a consistent driving style to update to a new profile.

My typical workday route involves 70% severely congested and claustrophobic traffic. The remaining 30% is instead free open highway. Even in my scenario, where the two driving scenarios are somewhat balanced out, I've noticed that over time the car just doesn't pull that hard anymore.

The fix? Reset throttle adaptions! It takes 5 minutes with no effort at all.

Taken from another thread, the instructions are as follows:

Push Engine button ON (once; do not start engine)
Step on the throttle pedal down (all the way down)
Hold it there for 30-40 seconds
With throttle still down, push Engine button OFF
Release throttle
Wait 2 minutes
Start car normally. Done

I've done the throttle reset for each mode (felt necessary to repeat the above process for Sport+) and the car feels completely healed. Now I can easily do aggressive pulls with responsive feedback without feeling like there's any turbo lag. Just try it out!
This actually has no effect on an M2 competition. Contact your local BMW Mdivision and mention throttle reset. You will get laughed at.
"Contact your local M division"

Happy new year you troll
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      01-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #54
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I did a complete ECU adaptions reset using ISTA+ for the new year..

The car powered down and up again, similar to a Windows OS booting-up.

Drove around for awhile and noticed absolutely no difference in performance or economy, prior to the reset.

I've come to the conclusion that If you're not replacing a defective past or clearing a permanent stored fault, the adaption reset doesn't make any discernible difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #55
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Most of the "BMW M Experts" on staff at dealers know less than many Bimmerheads on these forums....I have experienced it first hand. I take everything a BMW Dealer expert says with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      01-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #56
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think the main difference with resetting adaptations is with how the DCT shifts. If you drive with an egg under your foot the car will learn to shift into a higher gear quicker. I doubt there's much difference with a stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #57
malakas2
M Stable
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Great post!!!! I have absolutely noticed this. Will try tonight.

I've even noticed that right after you turn on the car, if you're more aggressive with the throttle... Right away, then the car is generally more throttle responsive on that drive ...

Hear, hear... Throttle response was noticeably quicker.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:40 AM   #58
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think the main difference with resetting adaptations is with how the DCT shifts. If you drive with an egg under your foot the car will learn to shift into a higher gear quicker. I doubt there's much difference with a stick.
Has 3 different shift modes for this. Throttle adaption is not on m2 competition
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #59
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOrosie View Post
Most of the "BMW M Experts" on staff at dealers know less than many Bimmerheads on these forums....I have experienced it first hand. I take everything a BMW Dealer expert says with a grain of salt.
Lol is this a flat earth community or something. Instead of trusting some random dude posting some rubbish they believe. Do the actual research for yourself. Call up BMW in Germany then and find out if there is throttle adaptions that you can reset this way. You will find out it doesn't and you cant. It's like the people who think that after running in service at 1200 miles the cars considerable faster due to them unlocking something. Lol no you have just driven it faster now.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      01-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #60
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Lol is this a flat earth community or something. Instead of trusting some random dude posting some rubbish they believe. Do the actual research for yourself. Call up BMW in Germany then and find out if there is throttle adaptions that you can reset this way. You will find out it doesn't and you cant. It's like the people who think that after running in service at 1200 miles the cars considerable faster due to them unlocking something. Lol no you have just driven it faster now.
MrMurkle, I believe you. I honestly, 100% think this is entirely placebo effect...

And yet, I'm gonna keep doing it and telling myself that my throttle has now been adjusted and is more responsive!!!

Come on, man, we all need some delusions in life to get us through the day. I mean, think about all the things you used to believe in and got taken away from you: 1) Santa Claus, 2) Easter Bunny, 3) work hard and you'll succeed, 4) your wife really loves you...

Just let me keep this one little delusion! It ain't hurting anyone!
Appreciate 3
BlkSVT388.50
Poochie9099.00
Mavallone164.50
      01-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #61
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Great idea, Mr. Murkle. Let me give BMW AG a ring and see what they have to say.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #62
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
MrMurkle, I believe you. I honestly, 100% think this is entirely placebo effect...

And yet, I'm gonna keep doing it and telling myself that my throttle has now been adjusted and is more responsive!!!

Come on, man, we all need some delusions in life to get us through the day. I mean, think about all the things you used to believe in and got taken away from you: 1) Santa Claus, 2) Easter Bunny, 3) work hard and you'll succeed, 4) your wife really loves you...

Hahahahahahha. I like you lol.
Look who am I to take this away from you. If praying to God makes you a better person then by all means pray to god. Even though god is made up by peasant ideological farmers 🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
IM2C2065.00
      01-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #63
MrMurkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Great idea, Mr. Murkle. Let me give BMW AG a ring and see what they have to say.

Well it's a better idea then believing some moron and sitting there holding you accelerator down while you ignition is on hoping that you car will unlock "beast mode" hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

Look who am I to take this away from you. If praying to God makes you a better person then by all means pray to god. Even though god is made up by peasant ideological farmers 🤣🤣🤣
Sometimes it's just easier living the lie..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #65
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look who am I to take this away from you. If praying to God makes you a better person then by all means pray to god. Even though god is made up by peasant ideological farmers ������
Totally agree that God is made up by peasant ideological farmers (Atheist since I was 10), but I also know my car pretty well and I absolutely noticed reduced turbo lag after doing "The reset".

If proof comes back from someone calling BMW AG and showing otherwise, so be it. I'll eat my words and chalk it up to placebo effect while denouncing my Atheism.

Until then...here's to more linear power and less turbo lag!

Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      01-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #66
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Just a point of reference... It seems the throttle adaptations are different depending on mode. I've been driving more in Sport when I'm in traffic and now, two weeks later, the lagging throttle has returned. I'm only using sport+ when I can hammer on the car, and it's still snappy. Just something to think about ... Probably will need to do the reset at least once a month.

A buddy is a master tech and he didn't think there was any issue doing the reset over and over. Fuel econ may suffer, but... So what
I think throttle adaption is mode dependent

Had to do the reset procedure for Stock/M1/M2 mode for all of them to feel fresh

Those who don't complain probably only enable the "Sport Setup M1/M2" configuration on empty roads and revert to stock basic for daily driving.

Start & Stop Traffic, long queues and just city driving are what fucks it up.
So you put the engine off in M1 / M2/ Sport /sport + mode and follow the same procedure ?

Will try this tomorrow

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0