F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I know this doesn't help those with already scratched clusters, but it is simply not true to say it can't be cleaned (with micro fibre clothes) without causing damage. I've found a photo of my dash I happen to take showing 20K km, car was 13mths old and I would have cleaned the dash I guess 8+ times. It's not marked and I have separately used direct sunlight and an LED torch to check given the threads about this.
It's now another 10mths since that photo, 40K km, another 6 or so cleans and it's still unmarked. So happens the car went into dealer yesterday for warranty clutch work so I can't take another photo now but I'm happy to post one for the sceptics once I get the car back

It's obviously not satisfactory that it can be damaged so easily but trying to install some type of screen protector will itself be a risky task (especially if you want it on square & don't want to look at trapped dust/air bubbles).
Yes , just be careful , use some air pressure from far . That protector isnt a long term solution. Especially in hot countries.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #24
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Wish they made something like this for the OG gauge cluster too.
I don't think you need it, there's a plastic cover right?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I don't think you need it, there's a plastic cover right?
I believe so, but when I wipe it off with a microfiber towel I'm always paranoid of hairline scratches so it's always a pain to do.
      08-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #26
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Gonna be hard to impossible to get a screen protector on it. The gauge rounds are raised, so you'd need to heat shrink and squeegee over them. Which requires a special film that I'm not sure exists to form around those tight gauge rounds.

Second, you're gonna have to clean the gauge real good before applying a protector to it. Removing all dust, oils, and fingerprints. If the gauge is easily scratched by cleaning it, you are really risking it here.

Third, as someone else said, an adhesive film may not be a good idea. If the matte layer on the cluster is easily scratched, how do we know the adhesive won't rip up that finish when removing the protector.

One thing I thought of is if you could vacuum form a thin sheet of plastic to go over the gauges. Then you have something easily removable that doesn't require adhesive or deep cleaning to apply. Maybe can apply an anti-reflective coating to it too. Like the coating they use on eye glasses.

For what it's worth. which I don't think is much. Since purchasing my M2 in March 2018 I've driven with the windows down every single day except 3 times, so dust does get into my car. Yet I've only felt the need to wipe the gauge cluster once or twice. What I do is bunch up a lens cloth and make very light passes from side to side. This picks up pretty much all of the dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #27
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Does anyone have a link to the protectors from taobao? I cant seem to find it on their site at all
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #28
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Does anyone have a link to the protectors from taobao? I cant seem to find it on their site at all
I'll dig back through my PMs.

FYI, I tried to order them but I had absolutely zero communication from the seller.

Ended up canceling the order for a refund

Here ya go
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/det...detaiitem_1.i1
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #29
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'll dig back through my PMs.

FYI, I tried to order them but I had absolutely zero communication from the seller.

Ended up canceling the order for a refund

Here ya go
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/det...detaiitem_1.i1
Taobao does not ship to countries outside of China, I had to ask for a favour from my friend to get it into North America. Aliexpress is the only Chinese website that ships worldwide.

I also tried installing it, the glue does not leave any residue on the gauge but it is impossible for it to line up with the cluster. Did not end up not using it. FWIW any gauge cluster would be a terrible idea because of the lack of an anti-reflection layer.
Appreciate 0