BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Modify M235i, or save toward M2 upgrade?

04-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #89
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
So true, and the wide body is gorgeous. My car looks malnourished sitting next to an M2, especially from behind.
Go for the M2, if that's what you are set on. Or wait (and save up even more I guess lol?) for the M2/CS (which is more powerful and probably handles better than the M2/OG), there will always be something newer and nicer on the market.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #90
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Quote:
So true, and the wide body is gorgeous. My car looks malnourished sitting next to an M2, especially from behind.
I was deciding between my M2 and RS3 back 2 years ago. RS3 has that killer engine, beautiful interior along with AWD. The reason I chose the M2 is RS3 looks just like a normal S3 or even A3, it lacked road presence that M2 has. M2 with its widebody looks special and stands out a lot.
I agree. RWD and MT are two additional check marks in the M2 column for me.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      04-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #91
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby P View Post
Go for the M2, if that's what you are set on. Or wait (and save up even more I guess lol?) for the M2/CS (which is more powerful and probably handles better than the M2/OG), there will always be something newer and nicer on the market.

Good luck!
Thanks man! The tricky thing is balancing the depreciation in the 235 with the slower depreciation of the OG M2. as much as I would love to pick up an LCI car, there are much stronger deals to be had on earlier cars, and if I forego the sunroof, even stronger still. Decisions, decisions..
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50
      04-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #92
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Man, that's impressive! I love having folding rear seats though... makes it easy to transport longer items that don't bend. there's something very satisfying about pulling up to Home Depot in a little sports car and loading it up with home improvement stuff. Long items were the death of me when I had the Miata... nothing fun about driving home with broom handles trying to attack you from the passenger seat!
When I got my first house, I bought some sliding glass door blinds at Lowe's.

Pulled up in my 135 and the guy helping me load it up just laughed. I smiled and promptly dropped them through the sun roof and into the passenger foot well. He looked flabbergasted and a little pissed when I drove off as the one laughing.

04-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #93
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

Pulled up in my 135 and the guy helping me load it up just laughed. I smiled and promptly dropped them through the sun roof and into the passenger foot well. He looked flabbergasted and a little pissed when I drove off as the one laughing.

love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #94
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Man, that's impressive! I love having folding rear seats though... makes it easy to transport longer items that don't bend. there's something very satisfying about pulling up to Home Depot in a little sports car and loading it up with home improvement stuff. Long items were the death of me when I had the Miata... nothing fun about driving home with broom handles trying to attack you from the passenger seat!

He He.. I bet your 135i was leased..

I know that they're despised on these fronts but if there is no free carbon fiber option, I would always opt for the sunroof, for more reasons than just vanity.

One silly example is my girlfriend knows absolutely nothing about cars but she told me she likes cars with sunroofs, so I inquired why. She said; "In case you crash, I have extra window to jump out of"

#Multipurpose
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      04-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #95
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Thanks for your input! I don't doubt that the 235 can be effective, but the feel that you're describing is what I'm after. Well, that and a manual transmission. definitely not worried about chasing numbers or seconds on a track. I really thought that I could put up with my car being an automatic... I was wrong. I did get a great deal on it when I bought it, so no regrets here. I really think that my way forward is to enjoy my car as it is now, and to focus on saving toward an M2 upgrade in manual. Would definitely love to grab an '18 LCI model... we'll see.
Yeah, the 6MT is fun as hell, regardless if it's in the M235/M240 or M2. It's the same exact gearbox afterall. I wouldn't pump more money into your M235 8AT because the 6MT will always be on your mind and if you like the M2 and can handle the slightly more raw feel, it's the way to go for sure. I'm screwed because I've got a lightweight 6MT M235 and I go back and forth on what to do LOL
      04-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #96
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm pretty sure cars doesn't have souls..
Only the Sunset Orange M2 doesn't have souls.

Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
AndrewC198910903.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
      04-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #97
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure cars doesn't have souls..
Only the Sunset Orange M2 doesn't have souls.
I beg to differ, I'm beginning to love that color. It's a toss up between that and HS. But I just know BMW will bring back Mineral Gray for the last MY run of the M2C

Blame this thread for my change of heart:

M2C colors: Sunset Orange M2C photos thread https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603771
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #98
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I beg to differ, I'm beginning to love that color. It's a toss up between that and HS. But I just know BMW will bring back Mineral Gray for the last MY run of the M2C

Blame this thread for my change of heart:

M2C colors: Sunset Orange M2C photos thread https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603771
Don't get me wrong. I love Sunset Orange and think it's a great color. Not a color I want, because I feel it would attract more attention than my MG, but a really nice color for the M2. I was just saying that to make a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #99
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, weird coincidence.. a 2017 DCT model was just traded in at my local dealership. I don't see myself buying this car given the DCT transmission and the fact that it has over 40k miles on it, but I'm definitely going to test drive it after work tomorrow to add a bit of context to my internal debate! I can't wait... I feel like a kid about to go to Disneyland/World. Here's to finding out!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #100
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Quote:
Ok, weird coincidence.. a 2017 DCT model was just traded in at my local dealership. I don't see myself buying this car given the DCT transmission and the fact that it has over 40k miles on it, but I'm definitely going to test drive it after work tomorrow to add a bit of context to my internal debate! I can't wait... I feel like a kid about to go to Disneyland/World. Here's to finding out!
if you feel that way you should probably buy one. this car is all about the joy and pleasure of driving and so what if sometimes thats happening as you're bouncing up and down for 10 seconds after a bump. its worth it!!

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #101
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Feels weird quoting myself, but here goes. I just got home from test driving a DCT M2, and I absolutely loved it. It seems to adress everything that I dislike about my car and amplify everything that I love about my car. The ride is a bit more firm than my car in sport suspension, but interestingly enough, it felt much better damped, so bounciness is more controlled than I'm used to (thankfully). My wife also approved the ride, which is awesome.

One thing that really surprised me is how much heavier the steering is while still allowing some amount of feel. Even more surprising was how much I enjoyed driving the DCT. I fully expected to have the same frustrations with that transmission as I do with my current automatic, but it was night and day. I always feel like I'm trying to anticipate what the heck the automatic on my car is going to do, whereas the DCT just did what I wanted it to. A good example of that is downshifting before getting on the brakes... The automatic lurches forward slightly before slowing down minimally, whereas the DCT honestly feels like downshifting a manual transmission. I didn't find it nearly as cumbersome as I expected and low speed closed quarters maneuvers, although I can see how it might be a little frustrating trying to fit in a tight space in a parking lot or parallel parking. I also really appreciated having an actual LSD... did a few quick turns from a stop while merging with traffic, and feeling the back and hook up and apply power while making a sharp turn was revelatory.

As much as I enjoyed the test drive and loved the car, what stood out even more than was the contrast when I got back in my 235 and put it in sport mode as I pulled away from the dealership. My steering felt too light, and the cars responses felt like there was a layer of marshmallow between me and the road. The condom analogy that someone used earlier in this thread is pretty apt. The few quick pass maneuvers that I executed on the highway on the way home felt effective, but numb. Pulling away from a stop with a bit of extra throttle from a stoplight in the M2 felt like an event. And don't get me started about "popcorn mode"... I haven't heard a burble map of the 235 that comes close. Needless to say, when I get my M2, its default mode will be MDM.

This car is a screaming deal for someone who's interested in the spec... The only options on the car are LBB paint and the DCT transmission. BMW of Nashville has it listed for 39k at 41k miles, 1 owner... if anyone's interested, I recommend talking to Timothy Lebens, and you can tell him that Stefan sent you. He was absolutely awesome today.

As for me, now I need to drive a manual car to get a feel for that, and keep an eye out for a good deal on the right spec. either way, the debate is over... I'm not putting any more money into modifying the 235. M2 all the way.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
qnet676.00
TProfit81.50
      05-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #102
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=sevenmarc;24736058]
Quote:

My steering felt too light, and the cars responses felt like there was a layer of marshmallow between me and the road. The condom analogy that someone used earlier in this thread is pretty apt.
Depending on where you live, some people prefer/need a car with a little "protection" or layer of marshmallow. Not everywhere has glass smooth roads for that harder suspension. The M2 is on the firm side, which divine for the track but can be a compromise as a daily driver.

Check out the photo below I took today of a typical street in my neighborhood.

Anyways, glad you found the car that suits you needs. It's better to find out now than buying the wrong car and living with regrets
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #103
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depending on where you live, some people prefer/need a car with a little "protection" or layer of marshmallow. Not everywhere has glass smooth roads for that harder suspension. The M2 is on the firm side, which divine for the track but can be a compromise as a daily driver.

Anyways, glad you found the car that suits you needs. It's better to find out now than buying the wrong car and living with regrets
holy moly, that's nuts! I think I would cry if the roads around me were that bad. how do you manage!?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #104
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

holy moly, that's nuts! I think I would cry if the roads around me were that bad. how do you manage!?

Yep, this is the Big Apple; there's smoother roads on Mars..

I hit a pothole on the highway here recently and slashed a brand new tire.. Yes, a pothole on freaking highway!!

What you can you do but keeping on swerving and have that disposable incoming flowing to buy new rubbers, ever so often..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #105
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, this is the Big Apple; there's smoother roads on Mars..

I hit a pothole on the highway here recently and slashed a brand new tire.. Yes, a pothole on freaking highway!!

What you can you do but keeping on swerving and have that disposable incoming flowing to buy new rubbers, ever so often..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #106
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

[QUOTE=Poochie;24736167]
Quote:

Thats a sh*thole
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #107
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=GoneIn4Secs;24780430]
Quote:
Quote:

Thats a sh*thole
Agreed but everything is still expensive and even a basic, one family house goes for 1/2 million dollars due to the high demand. :
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #108
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Wonder where all that money is going..? Definitely not road maintenance

I wonder what party leaning the mayor of that town is.... hmmmmmm... does it begin with a D and end in RAT?
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #109
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Weird development in case anyone is interested... I test drove a manual M2 this past weekend on a trip down to Atlanta to visit family, and... I didn't like it. No idea why, I just didn't bond with the car the way that I thought that I would! Bizarre. I guess I'll be going for a DCT after all!
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      05-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #110
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Weird development in case anyone is interested... I test drove a manual M2 this past weekend on a trip down to Atlanta to visit family, and... I didn't like it. No idea why, I just didn't bond with the car the way that I thought that I would! Bizarre. I guess I'll be going for a DCT after all!
Well manual transmissions are not for everyone. Keep in mind that to completely bond with a MT car it likely will take more than one day. In my case it took months because the linkage and transmission was still breaking in. Now shifting it is like tying my shoes.
Appreciate 1