BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > My 2018 M2 versus my 2018 GTI

11-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

My 2018 M2 versus my 2018 GTI

My wife and I have downsized from our DD F150 to a GTI. For kicks, here are some initial observations of the GTI and my M2.

My big takeaway, aside from the obvious dynamic differences, is that the VW tech is better overall than my M2. I can get a host of information from the fantastic touch screen in the GTI: oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, G meter, water temperature, lap timer . . . not sure why BMW doesn't allow any of this in an M car. The VW also has Android Auto, which would be a lovely thing in my M2. I like the i-Drive interface better than the touch screen, though.

The interiors feel to be similar in quality and materials. The M2 seats are better, with more aggressive bolstering. But the GTI seats are more than adequate. The seat heaters are better in the BMW, but since we don't winter drive that car, it is a bit of a moot point.

At my age, headlights are a big deal. Both cars have LEDs, and both are terrific (light years better than the 2016 F150 halogens). The BMW lights seem to be a bit better at picking up things on the side of the road as I drive. The GTI has adaptive headlights, unlike my M2, and I like the illumination around the corner. The GTI also has LED foglights -- which will likely be useful at some point.

Both have excellent sound systems. I'm not enough of an audiophile to determine which is better (and since I primarily listen to the CBC it likely doesn't matter any way).

Both have distinct (enhanced) sounds. The BMW turbo is much more pronounced.

Both cars are six speeds. The shifting is better in the M2, with more of a mechanical actuation. Not unexpected, since I am sure there are cables involved in the VW because of the drivetrain layout.

We are pretty happy with the GTI as an F150 replacement. And neither of us thinks the GTI is an M2 replacement. But we are privileged to enjoy both for what they are.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
rich8566608.50
      11-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The GTI has always been praised as a great car, maybe the best in the mid-$20k range along with the Civic Si.
Appreciate 1
Yes2m3cs155.00
      11-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I have had both a Mk6 and Mk7 GTI. Fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Same thoughts here, I daily a '16 GTI during the winter. If I could have the performance gauges of the GTI in the M2 I would be ecstatic.

The digital portion of the dashboard on the GTI is also miles better than the M2's, I love the large and clear speed reading on the GTI. But I guess the LCI/M2C has solved a few of these problems correct?

After driving the M2 I hate the GTI shifter, I am considering aftermarket bushings for it as I already have the Euro short shift linkage installed.
      11-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I hate (hate, hate, hate!) FWD cars, but I really enjoy driving the GTI. I came this close || to buying one, twice. The first time I backed-out because the seat was causing me a backache. The second time I mentioned it to the wife and she said "absolutely not". She had ridden in the back, and thought it was horrible. She can't (won't) drive a stick, so the driving experience is lost on her.

The M2 has a larger more powerful engine with the drive wheels in the correct location, and even at twice the price, I prefer it. But I still think that the GTI is a heck of a nice car, and practical to boot. Glad to read that others like it.

They'll probably continue to make it for many more years, and hopefully still with a stick, so one of these days when the M2 has to leave, maybe I'll get my GTI then.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Thanks for the comparo, thinking about downsizing my F80 M3 that is rarely driven to a GTI hatch to haul the kid around. Was very close to pulling the trigger on a 17 Sport GTI last year but didn't get the deal done.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M2 w/3 pedals

I traded my 2017 GTI Sport for my M2. The GTI was fantastic for a FWD platform, decent power, nice interior, great gas mileage if driven conservatively. I do miss integrated Android Auto, but not much else compared to the M2. Would have loved to have kept it, but when the wife authorizes an upgrade, I didn't put up much of a fight!
      11-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Same thoughts here, I daily a '16 GTI during the winter. If I could have the performance gauges of the GTI in the M2 I would be ecstatic.

The digital portion of the dashboard on the GTI is also miles better than the M2's, I love the large and clear speed reading on the GTI. But I guess the LCI/M2C has solved a few of these problems correct?

After driving the M2 I hate the GTI shifter, I am considering aftermarket bushings for it as I already have the Euro short shift linkage installed.
Dang you know a transmission is bad if a BMW transmission puts it to shame. I test drove a 6MT GTI and hated it, one of the only cars I'd get the auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Dang you know a transmission is bad if a BMW transmission puts it to shame. I test drove a 6MT GTI and hated it, one of the only cars I'd get the auto.
Hah, yeah it wasn't Ford manual bad (ahem, T-5/MT-82) but it wasn't great. Just very rubbery, too much throw, and it never felt great to row through for me. I guess maybe Hondas spoiled me, but I feel like the M2 at least has a decent mechanical feel whereas the GTI is just soul less and monotonous to shift. No gratification in the process- very German hah.
      11-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Hah, yeah it wasn't Ford manual bad (ahem, T-5/MT-82) but it wasn't great. Just very rubbery, too much throw, and it never felt great to row through for me. I guess maybe Hondas spoiled me, but I feel like the M2 at least has a decent mechanical feel whereas the GTI is just soul less and monotonous to shift. No gratification in the process- very German hah.
The Germans love rubber, everywhere.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      11-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #11
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I hate (hate, hate, hate!) FWD cars, but I really enjoy driving the GTI. I came this close || to buying one, twice. The first time I backed-out because the seat was causing me a backache. The second time I mentioned it to the wife and she said "absolutely not". She had ridden in the back, and thought it was horrible. She can't (won't) drive a stick, so the driving experience is lost on her.

The M2 has a larger more powerful engine with the drive wheels in the correct location, and even at twice the price, I prefer it. But I still think that the GTI is a heck of a nice car, and practical to boot. Glad to read that others like it.

They'll probably continue to make it for many more years, and hopefully still with a stick, so one of these days when the M2 has to leave, maybe I'll get my GTI then.
I was sceptical about going back to FWD but the GTI has a pretty trick LSD. So far I am impressed. I have a Miata and the M2 when I get tired of the driveline configuration.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Here's another notable difference. The six speed GTI doesn't come with start/stop in Canada. I had it on my F150. I have it on the M2. I miss it on the GTI. I hate idling . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
Here's another notable difference. The six speed GTI doesn't come with start/stop in Canada. I had it on my F150. I have it on the M2. I miss it on the GTI. I hate idling . . .
Wow I hate start stop. Especially in TX summers when the AC starts blowing warm.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
Beakster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M2 w/3 pedals

Quote:
Wow I hate start stop. Especially in TX summers when the AC starts blowing warm.
+1...wouldn't care on a leased car, but since I own my M2, I keep this off to save wear and tear on the starter.
      11-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hate start/stop too, the idle rumble just feels comfortable for me (particularly in a loud-ish car like the M2).

The one thing I envy DSG GTIs for is the option to add remote start, I won't do it in my manual since (besides having to do a clutch bypass or whatever they have to do) I am sure I will mind blank one day and try to start it in gear parked up near the garage or hit the fob when it's in my pocket or something. But getting into a freezing car during these Midwest winters always sucks.
      11-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

What I miss most with my GTI is how little money you need to modify the car. Simple APR tune to give you 80 hp and 100 tq for $600.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakster View Post
+1...wouldn't care on a leased car, but since I own my M2, I keep this off to save wear and tear on the starter.
I think it's a separate starter for the start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #18
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

Quote:
I was sceptical about going back to FWD but the GTI has a pretty trick LSD. So far I am impressed. I have a Miata and the M2 when I get tired of the driveline configuration.
Personally, I never owned a FWD and never cared to. However my wife has a GTI with an auto trans and it's a fun car to drive.

Recently, my respect for FWD has taken even a bigger leap, as my son recently purchased a Honda Civic Type R. He and I did a 5 day, 950 mile road trip after picking it up from the dealer. Both sharing the driving duties to the pick up location for shipping to Hawaii. The hype on this car is not exagerated. Other than straight line accerlation, the Type R will hang with the M2 on almost any other type of road and feel good doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #19
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Personally, I never owned a FWD and never cared to. However my wife has a GTI with an auto trans and it's a fun car to drive.

Recently, my respect for FWD has taken even a bigger leap, as my son recently purchased a Honda Civic Type R. He and I did a 5 day, 950 mile road trip after picking it up from the dealer. Both sharing the driving duties to the pick up location for shipping to Hawaii. The hype on this car is not exagerated. Other than straight line accerlation, the Type R will hang with the M2 on almost any other type of road and feel good doing it.
Yeah but it's hideously ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead in one.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, it looks like it came out of some kind of sci-fi or anime stuff. If it looked anything like a GTI or Golf R I'd already have one.

Every time I see one I think Johnny Tran is going to get out and ask me to race for pink slips.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #21
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
No worries. With your nice stable of cars, I would’ve thought you’d be open minded to driving a Type R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Seriously, it looks like it came out of some kind of sci-fi or anime stuff. If it looked anything like a GTI or Golf R I'd already have one.

Every time I see one I think Johnny Tran is going to get out and ask me to race for pink slips.
Forgot all about Johnny Tran. While those F&F movies were sometimes corny, I enjoyed watching them.

At my age, I wouldn’t buy one either, however if I was 26, I’d sure consider it.

Two things that blew me away on our road trip was, how well the car drove and the amount of love the Type R received. Every gas station, restaurant, other drivers and passer by’s would say nice comments, take photos and give thumbs up. Made my son feel like a rock star
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      12-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
No worries. With your nice stable of cars, I would’ve thought you’d be open minded to driving a Type R.

Forgot all about Johnny Tran. While those F&F movies were sometimes corny, I enjoyed watching them.

At my age, I wouldn’t buy one either, however if I was 26, I’d sure consider it.

Two things that blew me away on our road trip was, how well the car drove and the amount of love the Type R received. Every gas station, restaurant, other drivers and passer by’s would say nice comments, take photos and give thumbs up. Made my son feel like a rock star
They do look fun and I am sure it drives really well. Are there any deals to be had, or are they mostly selling at MSRP?
Appreciate 0