BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Everything Sounds Normal?

10-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Everything Sounds Normal?

Hello everyone, my 2018 MY M2's warranty will be coming to an end next year. I never had any engine issues (Aside from oil pan gasket leak) or noticed any strange noises while driving/auto crossing. But I started getting a bit paranoid with everything I hear in the engine bay. Wanted to share a quick video I took to see if everyone think it sounds normal. There is a periodic clicking noise that varies with RPM that I'm not sure about (While driving I can't hear it, only idling I can hear it slightly in the cabin and definitely can hear it in the engine bay with the hood open). Asked a few contacts and so far everyone I asked says it sounds pretty normal, wanted to reach a wider audience just in case before my warranty runs out LOL. The car was stationary of course revved it up to ~2.5k ish. Thanks in advance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0v9...annel=SofaKing
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
gsm2x3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x3 35i, 2018 bmw m2

How many miles on your car? I have an 18 with 9k that makes a similar noise but way less pronounced and quieter. (Could be normal tho with more miles) my previous car was an STi and it started clicking like that around 20k.

If you're still under warranty, assuming you haven't voided, it can't hurt to have the dealer look at it if you're concerned
Appreciate 1
Tes108.00
      10-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Sounds like normal high pressure DI ticking. It will always be louder on cold startup while it builds pressure.
Appreciate 1
Tes108.00
      10-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm2x3 View Post
How many miles on your car? I have an 18 with 9k that makes a similar noise but way less pronounced and quieter. (Could be normal tho with more miles) my previous car was an STi and it started clicking like that around 20k.

If you're still under warranty, assuming you haven't voided, it can't hurt to have the dealer look at it if you're concerned
I have about 9300 miles right now! but that's a good point, I will get them to check it out next time I bring it in. I haven't reached out to dealerships yet cause I feel like they are going to be like ok no Check Engine light you are good to go haha, wanted to do some research see what it is first but probably will end up doing that. Good to know that you have a similar noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Sounds like normal high pressure DI ticking. It will always be louder on cold startup while it builds pressure.
Ok good to know that is a potential! These newer engines make so much noise compared to my previous port injected infiniti LOL. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0