BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 1000km Review

07-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

1000km Review

I am coming up on 1000km on my M2, half way to the break-in service.

I thought I would post some comments on my experience from ordering to now.

Ordering

In November of 2016, I contacted all five of the BMW dealerships in the Vancouver area. Only one had an M2 in the dealership and they did not allow anyone to enter the car or drive it. Four of the dealerships had waiting lists from 12-24 months. I put a down payment on a Mineral Grey with 6MT at the dealership with a 6 month wait list. They estimated I would get a build date some time in March 2017 with delivery in May.

Delivery

I picked up the car on May 25. The M2 looks great in pictures but even better in person. Its bulging in all the right places - particularly the wheels arches. The front face is really aggressive and I like the vents and scoops. Years back, I had looked at the 1M but something about the headlights and front view stopped me from placing an order. The M2 looks great from all angles although the straight on rear view is perhaps its least flattering.

Driving Experience

The M2 is really fun to drive, I still have a smile on my face every time I am in the car. Coming from an E92 335, the suspension is firm but not uncomfortable. It is my only car and daily driver and can recommend it being a DD driver for anyone with at least half decent roads. I will be getting winter wheels and tires for it in the fall. The body is really stiff. The extra bracing and stiffening plates over the standard 2 series has done the job. Feels super solid going down the road and no chassis quivering or creaking when going over bumps or going diagonally up ramps/inclines.

The power is plentiful although I haven't fully uncorked it yet. I prefer the throttle mapping in Sport Mode. The sound is perhaps one of the most controversial aspects of the car. The exhaust sound level is good. Love the burbles and pops and cracks on the overrun, particularly in the Traction Mode. It is pretty loud during cold start echoing in my garage. There is some droning with the ASD on the freeway in Sport Mode. Switching it to Comfort eliminates the droning. It seems to have gotten a bit louder and deeper after 1000km. Will let the exhaust system break in for another 1000km to see if I code off the ASD, install the bypass harness or just leave it alone.

Coming from hydraulic steering in the E92, the electric steering in the M2 is different. Very little feel on center and sometimes it seems to lighten up unexpectedly when I make a quick move off center. I prefer the Sport mode for steering although its still lighter than the E92. Other manufacturers seem to be further along here so BMW still has some work to do. The steering wheel is nice and meaty with some quality feeling leather on it.

Clutch is pretty light. Travel is about the same as the E92 but bite point seems a bit higher. I have BMS clutch stop but don't have it installed yet. No CDV, yay! Had that thing taken out of my E92. Shift throws are shorter than the E92 but typical BMW rubbery feel. Still getting used to the auto rev match feature. I think I like it, better than I can do myself most of the time. A button to turn it off would be great so I can practice heel-toe without interference.

I did not have Nav on my E92 so iDrive is a new experience for me. The interface is clear and mostly easy to use. The puck is responsive and everything seems to work. Had no problem connecting to Pixel XL phone via Bluetooth. All my contacts synced up although the music streaming doesn't seem to see all the music on my phone. Not sure if its user error or something else. If I were the designer, I would have probably done something different than having it look like an iPad jutting out an at angle from the dash but it is in a good position.

I turned off the lane assist. Could not stand the red lines in the instrument cluster. Kept the accident avoidance mode on. Turned off the auto stop-start. That thing is annoying.

Minor annoyances
  • Window controls are too far back on the door. They are under my forearm and in order to open or close the windows, have to move my arm into an awkward position.
  • Sticky driving mode. I like Sport and want it to start in that mode.
  • Should have a auto rev match button
  • No oil temperature gauge. Even my non-M 335 had one. Come on!
  • Dash contrast could be improved. Seems to be fixed in LCI.
  • Wish I got the Michelin Super Sports instead of Continentals.
  • Not a fan of Alcantara. Collects dust and oil from hands. At least its not on the steering wheel.
  • Got this chemical smell in the cabin. Thought it was usual "new car smell" but isn't going away and starting to get annoying. Seems to be coming mostly from ventilation system? Does BMW still use Cosmoline or similar on the undercarrage for transport? Could my car prep have missed cleaning that stuff off? Will get the dealer to look at it at break-in service.

None of the annoyances significantly detracts from the enjoyment of the car. I would order it again. At $63k and change in Canada, it actually is very good value compared to other BMW models and the competition. I love driving the M2 and it is pretty close to the perfect car for my needs and wants. If manuals continue to disappear from BMW models, this may be a long term keeper.
Appreciate 5
      07-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

hydraulic steering is dead and gone never to return to BMW. the steering on m2 is great.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Agree that BMW needs a lot of work on electric steering
porsche uses a great system
have not had my M2 yet , but test drive felt similar to my F80 M3, which is accurate but numb
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
tstafford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Nice review. I'm at 1700 miles and feel about the same. Motor is great, transmission (DCT for me) is very good, steering is meh, rear grip is weak. I have some suspension parts on the way to try to get some more rear traction. Overall I'm very happy with the value the car provides.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Thanks for your input, and without quoting, I was initially not that psyched with the EPS and had been a proponent of hydraulic systems, but this car has changed my view after some time behind the wheel. Feedback can be a bit numb, but it is precise as hell and feels spot on. On the smell thing, it surely does not have that Napa leather new car smell and I don't think it has anything to do with the ventilation. Something is out gassing a somewhat strange smell though which is starting to bug me as well. I brought my car home with no interior detailing being done, seats wrapped, protective films and tape etc in place so I am wondering if there is a coating or something that was applied to the Dakota leather or elsewhere? I have been told that my sense of smell is beyond normal, maybe my big nose or something, but does anyone else here have any input on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

A few of the things you mention as irritants can be corrected nicely in the aftermarket, and this Board can lead you to them if you haven't already found them. Also, there are some nice mods out there that can improve on what you already like.

I'm with you on the rev match button, for sure. You can always still heel and toe, but rev match is such a safety net that you don't suffer from screwing up--and screwing up is the way you learn to do it better.

Not sure what to say about the smell thing. My smell is definitely reduced after 3,000 miles or so.

The best way I can describe the steering is that it is accurate, but just a bit numb.

At least two schools of thought on ASD. I did not like it, coded it out, and am happy now. The sound I get tells me what the engine is actually doing at every rpm. But to each his own.

I'm one of the few who is not at all bothered by the auto-stop start, apparently, at least on an MT car. I sit at a stop in neutral, with clutch out. When I want to get ready to drive, I push in the clutch, engine starts, slide into first and I'm off when I want to be. When I test drove a DCT car, though, I did NOT like this feature. I felt less in control.

Enjoy the process, and don't be reluctant to let it rip after break-in is done.
Gotta seat those rings!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Good review - I also came from a 335i. Am at 600kms and this week took it in for a "post delivery" check up. This was a bit weird, as there was nothing to sign and no report at end. Supposedly to top up fluids, etc (think I used 5 cc of windscreen wash). Have a tow hook license plate mount so no car wash. This wasn't the 2000km service.

Have same issue with smell. I leave the moonroof open when driving. Doesn't seem to be getting better. Biggest issue (i.e. not that big) to me is the low contrast dash. Is there a way to code for the backlight being always on, as when driving in dark? Have just bought a Carista OBD device.

Mid-range throttle response in 5th/6th seems a bit slow (pedal resistance) - maybe just part of run in. Car feels wider than my 335i. I bought CarPlay option and the integration is basically awful (even though I'm an iPhone guy). Seems bolted on.

These are all minor niggles. The car handles fantastically and looks and sounds great.

I ordered in August and got it in mid-June.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana View Post
Biggest issue (i.e. not that big) to me is the low contrast dash. Is there a way to code for the backlight being always on, as when driving in dark?
I agree, it's a nuisance. Unfortunately, AFAIK, BMW offers no solution for the pre-LCI M2.

I 'resolved' it by installing a P3 Gauge.
      07-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
texasyeehaw
Rep
Drives: M2

3000 miles in and the experience is great. I'm developing a very small rattle in the trunk at very low rpms. If it gets worse I'll take it to the dealer. The engine/exhaust sound is intoxicating. Highly recommend driving with the windows down. I also love hearing the turbo spool up and whistle - something that you can't really hear with the windows up.

I love having the option of comfort vs sport +. The difference in steering, exhaust sound, and throttle response is very pronounced.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      07-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
j_3_f_f
Rep
Drives: MY18 M2 (Ordered)

Thanks for the input. Do you have stock or m perf exhaust on? Debating about that right now but from my limited research, people tend to complain about droning with m perf exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #12
texasyeehaw
Rep
Drives: M2

Stock and its plenty loud especially in Sport+. The m performance exhaust sounds great too, just too loud for me especially for highway driving (I live in Texas so we do 80 on the highway).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #13
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree with most of your comments. Would have liked to see auto rev match option button or through iDrive. Also would have liked to see an option package that would have included:

- HUD
- Blind Spot
- front parking sensors

Also would have been willing to pay more for a CF roof but overall as you said for the price it's an amazing vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
hydraulic steering is dead and gone never to return to BMW. the steering on m2 is great.
No it isn't. But I agree hydraulic is dead.