BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rattling sound from depressing clutch in first gear

10-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
veggie
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Rattling sound from depressing clutch in first gear

I started noticing a rattling/vibration sound when I step on the clutch at lower RPMs in first gear (800-1500rpm). This usually happens when I step on the clutch to shift to 2nd or when I shift to neutral to go to a full stop. I've asked a couple friends to listen to it, even had one sit in the back and they said they definitely felt it.

I have only driven around 800 some miles and I'm trying to be careful not to rev too high before the break in service. I've been shifting to 2nd usually before 2k rpm and that's when I notice this the most.

I tried stepping down on the clutch slowly and it feels like the sound is less than when I depressed it quickly. Although sometimes when I want to shift to 2nd quickly I tend to step down on the clutch quickly. My guess is that there is a lot of force being released from the flywheel very quickly through the exhaust so that might be making the exhaust rattle? Maybe I'm thinking too much and this really isn't anything to be worried about. I was just wondering if this is normal and if anyone has had this experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Likely clutch chatter given the relatively low rpm that you're shifting. These cars shouldn't rev to 7k during break-in, but shifting at 2k isn't a great idea either.

Anyway, it's normal and happens on all my M cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Mine has it. I believe it's the product of the dual mass flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
JTPitsch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Seems like a normal thing for these cars. It happens to mine even more so when its loaded up like driving up from a parking ramp or steep hill and then press the clutch in.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
veggie
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Ok, thanks for your responses! I feel a lot better about this now. I'll probably ask the dealer when I take it in for my break in service. Just wondering does anyone know if there's a technical explanation for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
jamnesiac34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Finally! I found a post posing the same question I have. I also hear the "rattling" noise at low speeds, when parking, pressing the clutch in at stop signs, usually during 1st to 2nd gear change. I was sure something was wrong with my car but if this is common for M2's and other M cars, I feel better. Still, I will ask the dealership to check it out during the next service.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Dont shift to 2nd at 2k rpm, that's way too low, you'll drop the engine rpm so low it will chatter and rattle throught the drive train.

Even stone cold go to 2.5 at least on a light throttle...
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00