BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M340i - Wow

10-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #23
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My DD was in the shop for 10 days, and I got a new X5 4.0 loaner with that gawd-awful IP as well. Also I have read (on the Internet, so it must be true) that you can no longer code the start/stop to remember the last setting, which sucks for those of us that dislike BMW's implementation of start/stop. You can turn off that busy navigation overlay (underlay?) which helps, but I agree with Killed by Death above that the tach is backwards, confusing and distracting. And I don't like the buttons on the console.

Now... I owned a 340i (F30) with the B58 in a manual transmission, and it kind of sucked. I really think that these newer engines are designed and engineered to work best with automatic/DCT transmissions, and that's when they shine. Those quicker shifts help keep the turbo spooled-up and the cars just seem more responsive.

However, I will always buy a manual transmission when it is available. Unfortunately, it is no longer available in any non-M car in the USA.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #24
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Also I have read (on the Internet, so it must be true) that you can no longer code the start/stop to remember the last setting, which sucks for those of us that dislike BMW's implementation of start/stop.
Off topic a bit my 2020 M2C is still a few days away from delivery. Does start/stop have to be coded off now

I could turn it off in my 2017 M4 and it would stay off.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Off topic a bit my 2020 M2C is still a few days away from delivery. Does start/stop have to be coded off now
No, just press the button and it remembers.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #26
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Reverse tacho, that really sucks.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I had a brand new 2020 330i & M340i loaner cars back to back for almost a month, so I was fully aquatinted with BMW's new tach.

BTW, the M340i is quicker than the N55 M2, I put money on that; that car is a rocket.

Anyways, although myself and my passengers was thoroughly impressed with the new technology, I must say the digital dash is way more convoluted than the old-school analog dial and I'm not just referring to the reverse tach, it was entire display was just perplexing. I felt they could of did a better job making it a little more intuitive, as BMW was known for.

At this juncture, makes no sense in complaining about it because based on some recent leaked photos, it's here to stay; BMW is already testing bata variations of the reverse dials for future M cars, so it's a take it or leave it situation, until maybe an LCI revision revises the look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Just noticed the Tach going counter clockwise. That would mess with me big time. BMW is worrying me with gimmicks and design changes just to differentiate models. Ordered a 2020 M2C because I'm concerned how the next generation M2 might turn out.
it makes some sense to why the tac would go counter clockwise. It creates a bigger space in the middle for a larger map. That said it would mess with me too. I like the analog dials. The LCI dials have better utility than the pre LCI, but maybe too modern looking?

I feel like I could get used to it the counter clockwise tac though. I think maybe going vertical or almost vertical with a slight curve one way or the other might be the best use of screen space and intuitiveness.

Like the e9X M gauges best.

Last edited by akkando; 10-30-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #29
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Yes. Good thing I don't plan to be there much.

You could have avoided it altogether by just removing the tail light, clean and dry the plugin connector then put some silicon grease in it. Job done.

They replace tail lights when there's nothing wrong with them except water in the plug as far a i can see.

Anyhow, i suppose you got a free play in a 340i for it....
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #30
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
BTW, the M340i is quicker than the N55 M2, I put money on that; that car is a rocket.
You wink, but at certain speeds I think it's quicker off the draw. Of course, overall it'd lose that race, dig or roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You could have avoided it altogether by just removing the tail light, clean and dry the plugin connector then put some silicon grease in it. Job done.

They replace tail lights when there's nothing wrong with them except water in the plug as far a i can see.

Anyhow, i suppose you got a free play in a 340i for it....
My RR tail light had some evidence of condensation in it, which is why it was replaced. They said my car was out of the VIN production numbers that the TSB covers, which was strange since there are 2019's with the issue and mine is an '18. Who knows, BMW, you know...

The 340 was indeed fun, from a roll, but has no presence whatsoever, and I'm used to cars with presence, so I was very glad to get back into my car.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You wink, but at certain speeds I think it's quicker off the draw. Of course, overall it'd lose that race, dig or roll.
The M340i caught me by surprise, I was expecting it to be quick but damn, it pulled like a supercar. It was the last vehicle since a GTR that actually scared me.

But like you, I was still happy to get back to my car. Although it was fun, the M340i is too large for my taste. Maybe if I had kids, I might consider one but for me, it's an overkill.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #32
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
The M340i caught me by surprise, I was expecting it to be quick but damn, it pulled like a supercar. It was the last vehicle since a GTR that actually scared me.

But like you, I was still happy to get back to my car. Although it was fun, the M340i is too large for my taste. Maybe if I had kids, I might consider one but for me, it's an overkill.
I work for Mecum auctions and drive a lot of actually fast cars, so it didn't quite give me that supercar pull , but it did surprise me for a half a second. It's just the wizardry, the immediacy of the pull, being at the right rpm, and no appreciable lag between shifts.

And I too thought the 3 was too large, I mean, it's technically the size of an older 5.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #33
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I work for Mecum auctions and drive a lot of actually fast cars, so it didn't quite give me that supercar pull , but it did surprise me for a half a second. It's just the wizardry, the immediacy of the pull, being at the right rpm, and no appreciable lag between shifts.

And I too thought the 3 was too large, I mean, it's technically the size of an older 5.
Fair enough, you obviously have more experience than I do, so no dispute.

However, it was tested at 0 - 60mph in under 4 seconds but I guess the criteria for 'supercars' numbers have changed since the last time I checked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #34
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
However, it was tested at 0 - 60mph in under 4 seconds but I guess the criteria for 'supercars' numbers have changed since the last time I checked.
I don't do a lot of 0-60 runs, but 3.8 isn't bad.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00