BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying M2 Competition - Help Decide DCT or 6M

12-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #111
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Incidentally, that DCT transmission is pretty expensive here in the states as well at $2900 USD. But quite frankly, i would've paid more for a manual if i had to.
It is strange how different countries have different structure of pricing. We don't have the Executive Package or M Performance Package, etc.,

When purchasing an M2C, choose from one of these (I believe these are universal):
- 3 types of wheels
- 5 paint colours
- 2 colours for seat stitching

Then the options are:
- Heated steering wheel (248) - Don't know the price
- M Sports brakes (2NH) - I think... AUD3,000 (USD$2,063)
- Alarm system (302) - Don't know
- Glass sunroof (403) - I think... AUD$2,000 (USD$1,375)
- Sun protection glazing (420) - Don't know
- Smoker's package (441) - Don't know
- Through loading 40:20:40 rear seats (465)
- Heated seats (494) - AUD$650 (USD$447)
- Apple CarPlay (6CP) - AUD$450 (USD$309)
- Wireless phone charging (6NW) - AUD$165 (USD$113)
- 6-speed manual (Z9a) - No Cost Option (NCO)

Unless you belong to a large organisation who is BMW Advantage Platinum member, 5 years (80,000kms) Basic Service Package is AUD$2,500 (USD$1,700). The Plus Service Package (incl. brakes and clutch) is AUD$7,150 (USD$4,900).

There is an M Performance options like the exhaust and carbon fibre bits but that is about it. Our M2C are fully loaded, but they are priced at about AUD$115,000 (USD$79,000). The street price is about AUD$105,000 (USD$72,000). They are 'drive away' prices including taxes.

Just in case anyone was interested.

Quote:
Anyway, good luck with the waiting, i'm guessing now you'll be off to obsessively watch every single search result for "M2 Competition" in YouTube. I know I did!
I've already done that for the past 3 months!! I just started reading the Owner's Manual.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-17-2019 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      12-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #112
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
I have seen many, many people who regret buying a DCT (or automatic) but not a single person who regrets buying a manual.
Now you tell me!!

...I can see why DCT may not suit everyone.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-16-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #113
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

That's weird that you don't get maintenance for free. 2500 AUD makes sense though. What are your final specs? In Canada the only options aside from the same colors/wheels are HK audio, sunroof, DCT, wireless charging, storage package, smoker's package and speed limit info. I went with HK audio & storage package. Hockenheim silver exterior with orange stiching inside. 6MT as well. I have the wireless charging in my F31 and it's a waste of money as well as loosing out on the little space there is under the arm rest.
      12-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #114
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
That's weird that you don't get maintenance for free. 2500 AUD makes sense though.
Only if your organisation (employer or professional association) is a member of BMW Advantage Platinum (5 years) or Gold member (3 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
What are your final specs? ...I went with HK audio & storage package. Hockenheim silver exterior with orange stiching inside. 6MT as well. I have the wireless charging in my F31 and it's a waste of money as well as loosing out on the little space there is under the arm rest.
In Australia, we get the Harman Kardon 360w sound system as standard equipment.

Here is a full list of Australian MY2020 M2 Competition spec.

My spec is similar to your spec. Hockenheim, orange and 6MT. I've added black 788M wheels (AUD$500/USD$343), heated seats and Apple CarPlay.

I briefly considered M Performance exhaust but when they said it costs AUD$8,800 (USD$6,045) fitted. I was far less interested. I guess I will just crank up the audio volume for the fake exhaust sound for free.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw-m2-comp-australian-specs-dec2019.pdf (358.6 KB, 26 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #115
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
...your car is going to be incredibly rare over there, since most people down under appear to be just going with the DCT.
It appears, there are a reasonable number of 6MT M2C in Australia. But for whatever reason, dealers don't stock them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #116
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I'm not sure if you already made up your mind but I'll jump in and share my experience.

I've only driven traditional automatic or manual cars in the past. I currently have 4 cars, three of which are automatic. As far as BMWs go, I previously had an E46 which was MT and it was an absolute blast. I had other sporty MT cars as well.

Fast forward a few years later and I'm in the market for an M2C. I test drove a DCT M2C and thought it was really fun! I thought It was very cool how quickly it changed gears, almost instantaneous! Even though I'm on the "MT for a sports car" boat, I started to consider it. I started wondering if I was going to be converted into a believer.

Then I thought to myself... how fun will this be in a month? In a year? In 5 years? My gut was to go MT and now I was in a dilema, considering this new technology. But I was true to myself, I knew deep down I had made my decision long ago. This wasn't simply me refusing to adapt or accept the future, if anything that test drive showed me the truth.

I pictured myself with the DCT in the future......disengaged, simply gassing it and pulling on the shift paddles.... how boring I thought. DCT requires no skill, no driver involvement, provides no satisfaction in and of itself. And I knew I had to go with a MT, because all of the things DCT isn't.

There is absolutely nothing like rowing through the gears yourself and the satisfaction of perfectly timed shifts. The engagement as a driver you have with the car. The skill. The demand to actually DRIVE the car and not be driven. I bought this car for maximum smiles per hour and DCT just wasn't going to do it for me. I don't care that it's faster by such a small amount that no one in the real world could really tell.

If you're like me and you want maximum fun, especially if it's not your daily, consider if you would regret not getting it. Picture yourself getting behind the wheel, on the back roads... do you see yourself driving the car with all involvement or do you see yourself paddle shifting?

I will say I've grown to like the rev-match as well, as much as I didn't think I would.

No regrets.

Disclaimer: My M2C is a weekend/fair weather car. I don't have to commute in it nor is it my daily driver. For me the car's role is to provide me with 100% unnecessary excitement and fun. If I had no other means of transportation I may have gone with the DCT as it would be more of a tool than a luxury at that point.

And then there's all of the other stuff mentioned like tried-and-true technology, cheaper to repair (I plan to keep the M2C for a loooong time), etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #117
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I'm not sure if you already made up your mind but I'll jump in and share my experience.
Hi M2C89,

Thanks for your input. I have ordered the car in manual. I also plan to keep the car for a long time... but it all depends on the maintenance cost after the first 5 years. My way of thinking is that this might be the last gasoline powered vehicle for us. The next car will most likely be EV and drive us around.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:54 AM   #118
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
Sorry about the tease... I couldn't help myself.

I did choose the manual transmission.
Congrats! Gutsy to buy a manual without trying it! But as other have said don't think you would ever regret the manual like other DCT owners have post their purchase!!

You got it in the best paint colour too
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #119
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Congrats! Gutsy to buy a manual without trying it!
Everyone here helped to build my confidence. Plus, you have to believe that BMW can't stuff up the implementation of manual too badly. I figured, the 6MT would have to be rated somewhere between 'great' to 'adequate'.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #120
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
If the UCP is using a thicker clutch stop in conjuction with the a new pedal, and you're comfortable with it from a safety standpoint, then why not just a thicker clutch stop alone? I'm not doubting you or trying to start an argument, but the only way I can see the clutch stop being a problem is if it's too thick, and therefore the clutch isn't fully disengaging when the pedal is depressed. This would explain the synchro issue, since if the clutch is still partially engaged, there will be a lot of stress & wear on gear changes due to the load on the current gear.
The clutch stop provided with the UCP is designed to work with the new kit.
The old CS I was referring to was an adjustable one that ended up causing the problems.
I just looked at the BMS one and its a shimmed one. So if they have the rubber shims measured and engineered properly then sure I can see that being a cheap way to adjust the feel of the pedal pick up point.

My point is the UCP is a complete "package" and it works great.....as it should for $295....
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      12-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #121
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
I have ordered the car in manual.
Excellent! Although I know that most DCT people are happy with their choice, for many of us, manual is preferred for a "sports" performance car. Even though DCT is faster.

Congrats on the new car/order.

Here in the USA our manual transmission car choices are becoming more and more limited. It's gotten to the point where many of us refer to the manual as an anti-theft device, as most younger folks never learned how to use one, and therefore many criminals can't drive these cars.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #122
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo View Post
I have seen many, many people who regret buying a DCT (or automatic) but not a single person who regrets buying a manual.
Oh there have been people who regret manual, but mt owners don't wish to notice them. There are less MT owners that regret their decision than DCT owners though.

Last edited by akkando; 12-17-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50
goku7173.00
      12-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #123
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Congrats on the new car/order.
Thanks!

Quote:
Here in the USA our manual transmission car choices are becoming more and more limited.
Same here. Aside from some driving enthusiasts, the majority of people drives automatic. It would be rare to find a manual car to hire from rental agencies these days.

Quote:
It's gotten to the point where many of us refer to the manual as an anti-theft device, as most younger folks never learned how to use one, and therefore many criminals can't drive these cars.
That's funny! So if a manual car gets stolen, it would have to be a career criminal in their 40s or 50s?

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-17-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #124
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Oh there have been people who regret manual, but mt owners dl don't wish to notice them.
This is not a good time to point this out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #125
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
+1
uh I would have regretted buying the manual. its too much of a pain to keep rowing gears especially in traffic or around town. on the freeway u loose the 7th gear so there is a higher drone. the manual on my 40hp fwd car couple of decades ago is so much easier than trying to wrestle a 400hp beast manually. a Miata + manual is a no brainer

Last edited by goku7; 12-17-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #126
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

If I had a manual I don't believe I would have regretted it, but would have wondered what the DCT was like. My only concern with the DCT is the reliability of it, but I may not know that for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #127
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
If I had a manual I don't believe I would have regretted it, but would have wondered what the DCT was like. My only concern with the DCT is the reliability of it, but I may not know that for awhile.
I have a 6MT on my 2018 M2, and love it. I daily it, but sometimes I sit in traffic and wonder how a DCT would be like.

But then I get out of traffic and get to row my own gears and just grin with happiness.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      12-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #128
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hi OP, do you have the car yet? I think Australia is RHD? If not ignore me

In the UK I had a manual M240i. For me personally the terrible pedal offset eventually ruined it for me.

When I got me M2 it was DCT.

Try to sit in and change gears in a 2 series manual car of any type before committing.
      12-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #129
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblaz View Post
I have a 6MT on my 2018 M2, and love it. I daily it, but sometimes I sit in traffic and wonder how a DCT would be like.

But then I get out of traffic and get to row my own gears and just grin with happiness.
Honestly, DCT isn't that smooth in traffic. It wants to upshift or stay in gear depending on crawling speed. Sometimes it's easier for me to switch over to "manual" to remedy this by coasting with traffic like I do in my M5 for sport wagon.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #130
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hi OP, do you have the car yet? I think Australia is RHD? If not ignore me

In the UK I had a manual M240i. For me personally the terrible pedal offset eventually ruined it for me.

When I got me M2 it was DCT.

Try to sit in and change gears in a 2 series manual car of any type before committing.
Hi Chris,

Being a former colony of Great Britain, we do drive on the same side as you guys.

I have ordered the car. I was not able to sit in any manual BMW cars. It is interesting that you mention the pedal offset on M240i... let's hope it is something I don't notice when I'm driving.

I have been watching a London-based Joe Achilles's Youtube channel. He bought an M2C in manual. Several others have driven RHD M2 and not one mentioned the offset that I can recall. I am hoping it is something you notice more than I would... he says, trying to reassure himself.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      12-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #131
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I have a 17 OG M2 and I think the pedals are spaced perfectly for heal-and-toe downshifts. I rev match on my own, and it’s a rewarding experience. Hope you feel the same way, and great choice with the MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #132
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I have a 17 OG M2 and I think the pedals are spaced perfectly for heal-and-toe downshifts.
Interesting point M0nster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hi Chris, can you please clarify your comment about the 'terrible pedal offset'?

(1) the gap between pedals; or

(2) the cluster of 3 foot controls are not positioned directly in front of you and that they are slightly offset to left or right?

I suspect you meant #2 but in light of Monster's comment, I thought I will seek your clarification.
Appreciate 0