BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > What is this Modded 2017 M Performance Edition 6 spd Worth?

03-15-2022, 09:02 PM   #23
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMarioM2 View Post
I finally listened to my buddies and coughed up the dough to buy a GT4 in this market. I immediately beat all my personal bests on street tires the first time out at Sebring - and nothing went wrong.
Guy I met recently went through a saga very much like this but with his DeMan built Cayman for whatever that’s worth. DeMan made it right, but it happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #24
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
awesome car man ! I'd list it for at least $50k, but I do think it's going to be tough with the damage the car had previously and all the replacements that were made. I think you could probably get mid $50k range with the right buyer. however, if you decide to part out, I'm extremely interested the steering wheel, arm rest, and possibly the seats you decide to let those go ! I'm located in Tampa, FL
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition - 6mt

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Not that it changes anything about what you’re saying, but are you aware of other examples of similar issues from other tracked OG M2s?

As someone whose been through ups and downs with a project/build as you described, I understand how it changes your perspective. Thanks for sharing, a lot of people just move on and don’t want to talk about it Lol
I'm definitely aware of other N55 failures in the M2. I'm not an expert and an only speak from personal experience. The initial issue is definitely BMW's fault. How you design an M car with a fuel tank (saddle tank) that doesn't pump enough fuel to the side where the pickup is in a hard G turn is unforgivable. After turn 17 is a long straight - so you're at WOT. No fuel AND WOT = lean. That's bad.

After that, I think I also had some issues with mechanics that are not BMW related. And after that, once you overheat this block, it's done. Throw it away. These blocks are magnesium alloy and they warp or crack. That's what happened to me. The water pumps in these cars do not have a great reputation.

If you guys know M2 Ghost - Matt - his N55 is down. He says he somehow got water into the fuel. But he's running a Pure Stage 2 turbo setup on the N55.

Some other YouTubers I know say they've seen N55 fail on track more than most of the other motors. It makes sense. That motor is not made for high RPMs for extended periods of time. It seems to do great on the street. It just doesn't get as hot. Heat is the enemy.

So, since I have a full reset on the motor, and a new track car, I'm definitely thinking street. No tune for now, although I'll load that back up after break in if I keep the car. It's just so much more fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #26
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
awesome car man ! I'd list it for at least $50k, but I do think it's going to be tough with the damage the car had previously and all the replacements that were made. I think you could probably get mid $50k range with the right buyer. however, if you decide to part out, I'm extremely interested the steering wheel, arm rest, and possibly the seats you decide to let those go ! I'm located in Tampa, FL
I agree. I'm aware it's a $50k something car on a good day. That's why the part out strategy is makes the most sense.

BTW - Did i mention this is a BMW M2 M Performance Edition - 1 or 150 - ZL9. So really, 1 of 75, since the other 75 have the DCT.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      03-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #27
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
I agree. I'm aware it's a $50k something car on a good day. That's why the part out strategy is makes the most sense.

BTW - Did i mention this is a BMW M2 M Performance Edition - 1 or 150 - ZL9. So really, 1 of 75, since the other 75 have the DCT.
yea, I'm hoping to help take a few of those mods what's the difference with the performance edition ? is it just tuned differently ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #28
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Let’s be honest here. Any M2 can be made into a performance edition just by using off the shelf parts. It was a nice specked M2 but not unique. The market doesn’t value it any more than any other M2.

By the way, my 2018 M2 was also sold as an M Performance edition. Even has the M Performance side decals.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #29
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Let’s be honest here. Any M2 can be made into a performance edition just by using off the shelf parts. It was a nice specked M2 but not unique. The market doesn’t value it any more than any other M2.

By the way, my 2018 M2 was also sold as an M Performance edition. Even has the M Performance side decals.
I agree, and yet, there is a distinction. The M Performance Edition has a single zone AC, manual seats, the ashtray delete (which I love), and it's missing a few other things like the backup camera and the comfort access - which I miss!

It's basically the ultimate stripper model OG M2. It's silly things like that that really could really set it apart in the long run. Especially since it's the swan song for the OG M2.

Now my car, not a collector's dream for sure! That's why after the accident I went in the direction I did.
Appreciate 1
DanG10660.50
      03-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #30
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman's Brother View Post
Not that it changes anything about what you're saying, but are you aware of other examples of similar issues from other tracked OG M2s?

As someone whose been through ups and downs with a project/build as you described, I understand how it changes your perspective. Thanks for sharing, a lot of people just move on and don't want to talk about it Lol
I'm definitely aware of other N55 failures in the M2. I'm not an expert and an only speak from personal experience. The initial issue is definitely BMW's fault. How you design an M car with a fuel tank (saddle tank) that doesn't pump enough fuel to the side where the pickup is in a hard G turn is unforgivable. After turn 17 is a long straight - so you're at WOT. No fuel AND WOT = lean. That's bad.

After that, I think I also had some issues with mechanics that are not BMW related. And after that, once you overheat this block, it's done. Throw it away. These blocks are magnesium alloy and they warp or crack. That's what happened to me. The water pumps in these cars do not have a great reputation.

If you guys know M2 Ghost - Matt - his N55 is down. He says he somehow got water into the fuel. But he's running a Pure Stage 2 turbo setup on the N55.

Some other YouTubers I know say they've seen N55 fail on track more than most of the other motors. It makes sense. That motor is not made for high RPMs for extended periods of time. It seems to do great on the street. It just doesn't get as hot. Heat is the enemy.

So, since I have a full reset on the motor, and a new track car, I'm definitely thinking street. No tune for now, although I'll load that back up after break in if I keep the car. It's just so much more fun!
Does the B58, S58 or S55 have these issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #31
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.83]
The S55 is a closed deck motor and has better cooling. It's much more appropriate for track use. I'm not sure about the other 2. However, the fuel starvation issue has come up for others in M3's and I don't think they changed the fuel tank for the M2 Comp. That's the issue that really started this chain of events...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #32
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

The ashtray cup is a must for lose change!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #33
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Sharp looking car. Seems well sorted. The built motor will be appealing. It's pricey for a track toy. Have you or anyone driven the car that can show solid lap times for the build? It's in used corvette territory for track use.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:07 AM   #34
SuperMarioM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Sharp looking car. Seems well sorted. The built motor will be appealing. It's pricey for a track toy. Have you or anyone driven the car that can show solid lap times for the build? It's in used corvette territory for track use.
At Sebring, anything in the low 2:30's is quick in pretty much any modern car. 2:29 - 2:31 was the range I lapped the N55 M2 at Sebring.

However, when everything was just right in the morning, I would get some hot laps in. Here's a 2:28 followed by a 2:27. That's Cayman GT4 territory.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #35
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Note to self:

Avoid repeated, long 5th gear pulls at Sebring in July with less than half a tank of gas.
Appreciate 0