BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Warning - Dealer unwilling to change oil?!?

06-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
BMW oil changes are typically a value service and not very expensive.
They are significantly cheaper than the service for my 2018 GTI. The oil change on my E46 M3 was around $150CDN at the dealer, and the VW well over $200.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #24
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2k2 View Post
Okay, so a couple things on this topic.

The 1 year interval is gone on 2018's...

I change my oil on my own normally after 2 track days and don't reset the OCI. But... I was having some other work done and asked the shop doing the work to change the oil.

I was most frustrated by the dealer's lack of clarity, as I setup the appointment for an oil change and an exhaust rattle. They didn't mention the oil wasn't changed. I caught it when I picked the car up (after being there for 4 days waiting on a warranty part). If they had asked, I would have protested, but likely would have paid for an oil change due to my schedule.

I don't begrudge the dealer over following corporate policy. I'm just saying the policy is asinine... They can tell if the oil has been changed by a BMW dealer, and this is just a scam to prevent BMW from having to perform service that is supposedly included in the maintenance plan.

The independent shop is going to hook me up with an oil change after having a talk with their manager.

-rant over-
is there rationale to change the oil in the interval between 1200 and 10k miles if you're not taking it to the track and just mainly on the street and spirited driving?
      07-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #25
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
They are significantly cheaper than the service for my 2018 GTI. The oil change on my E46 M3 was around $150CDN at the dealer, and the VW well over $200.
Good lordie, my experience in the Midwest US was the exact opposite. My '16 GTI is like $90-100 bucks but the local BMW dealership quoted me $370 for an oil change and some lovely fuel tank additives.

Had to look down and slow breathe so I didn't laugh in the poor service advisor's face. Bought all the tools needed and oil/filter for 290 bucks and haven't looked back.