DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
May 7th BMWCCA Track Day

I just signed up for the BMWCCA HPDE at Pacific Raceway on May 7th.

It would be nice to see other M2s at the event.
Appreciate 5
      03-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Thanks for sharing this. For some reason these BMWCCA events haven't been on my radar when I search for track days. I've been doing all my days at ORP so I might have to make it up there to try something different.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Thanks for sharing this. For some reason these BMWCCA events haven't been on my radar when I search for track days. I've been doing all my days at ORP so I might have to make it up there to try something different.
The next three track days are:

April 16th
May 7th
June 18th.

Registration is at Motorsportreg.com
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The next three track days are:

April 16th
May 7th
June 18th.

Registration is at Motorsportreg.com
What are your thoughts about the Car Control Clinic? Is it worthwhile or should I see if they'll let me out of it since I've done quite a few track days?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
What are your thoughts about the Car Control Clinic? Is it worthwhile or should I see if they'll let me out of it since I've done quite a few track days?
I would try to get out of it. Unless you want to refresh your basic skills like a small auto cross and wet skids.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
If you’re coming from out of town, I’d recommend looking for a day at The Ridge over Pacific. BMWCCA only does 1-2 days/year at Ridge, so you might want to look at other options. Hooked On Driving, Audi, and Porsche Club run there a lot more. All are well run and safe DE programs.

I’ve only run once with Turn 2-it seemed decent as well. All they do are Ridge days.

In MotorsportReg, make sure you’re looking at Driver School, and not just Open Track. The Marque clubs all post events under Driver School.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
If you’re coming from out of town, I’d recommend looking for a day at The Ridge over Pacific. BMWCCA only does 1-2 days/year at Ridge, so you might want to look at other options. Hooked On Driving, Audi, and Porsche Club run there a lot more. All are well run and safe DE programs.

I’ve only run once with Turn 2-it seemed decent as well. All they do are Ridge days.

In MotorsportReg, make sure you’re looking at Driver School, and not just Open Track. The Marque clubs all post events under Driver School.
The Ridge is once a year in September. It is a great track and has been used by BMW for their M Track Days.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #8
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ahh...good tip about looking in the "Driver School" category. That's probably why I missed all the previous events.

I'm actually scheduled to do my first day at The Ridge on April 11. It's an event run by On Grid. I've never attended their events but it seems like the reviews are somewhat mixed and I have my doubts since it only cost $160. I'm sure it'll be fine though--it'll be a full day of learning a new track and driving terrible lines. And if rain is in the forecast I'll probably just drive my Fiesta ST instead of the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:47 AM   #9
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh...good tip about looking in the "Driver School" category. That's probably why I missed all the previous events.

I'm actually scheduled to do my first day at The Ridge on April 11. It's an event run by On Grid. I've never attended their events but it seems like the reviews are somewhat mixed and I have my doubts since it only cost $160. I'm sure it'll be fine though--it'll be a full day of learning a new track and driving terrible lines. And if rain is in the forecast I'll probably just drive my Fiesta ST instead of the M2C.
I’m sure you’ll have a blast. It’s a fun track. I’m guessing they just load up the run groups to get it that cheap. Maybe that’s a positive for your first day, lots of opportunities to see other people’s lines. Haven’t run with them either, so please report back if you can.

I’ll be at ORP while you’re at the Ridge.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #10
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m sure you’ll have a blast. It’s a fun track. I’m guessing they just load up the run groups to get it that cheap. Maybe that’s a positive for your first day, lots of opportunities to see other people’s lines. Haven’t run with them either, so please report back if you can.

I’ll be at ORP while you’re at the Ridge.

Have fun!
Yep, shortening the sessions and adding more run groups is exactly what I heard people complain about. I also read about how they pissed some people off by testing a group by putting up a red flag in the middle of a session. Annoying but fair play in a DE event. We'll see how it goes and I'll definitely share my experience.

Unfortunately May 7th is out because after looking at the schedule I'll do an ORP Club day that weekend but I think I'll be signing up for the April 16th day @ Pacific. Still trying to decide if I'll do the CCC or HDPE. I'm kinda leaning towards CCC just because I don't want to be "that guy" who thinks he's such a great driver...because I'm really not.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      03-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Quote:

I've been out at Turn 2 events at the Ridge and they have been well run events. I've yet to try Hooked on Driving but have heard nothing but good things from my peers who have attended their events. Economatic - I had the same thought as you and took my STI instead of the M2C last year on wet track days.
Appreciate 1
DanG10583.00
      03-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #12
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I've never been on track. Is this a good option for me to learn and try it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #13
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I've never been on track. Is this a good option for me to learn and try it out?
Absolutely! Sign up for the Car Control Clinic as your gateway. You’ll do some autocross type drills and skill practice, a parade lap or two of the track, and in normal times, they would offer joyrides with instructors at the end of the day. Not sure if they’re doing more in current times to provide more exposure to the track.

Once complete, you can sign up for a DE day where you’ll be able to get out on track in your own car. Again, I’m not sure how BMWCCA is managing this. Audi club is doing lead/follow, paired up with an instructor in their car.
Appreciate 3
ESB1014.50
f87kevin123.50
DanG10583.00
      03-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Absolutely! Sign up for the Car Control Clinic as your gateway. You’ll do some autocross type drills and skill practice, a parade lap or two of the track, and in normal times, they would offer joyrides with instructors at the end of the day. Not sure if they’re doing more in current times to provide more exposure to the track.

Once complete, you can sign up for a DE day where you’ll be able to get out on track in your own car. Again, I’m not sure how BMWCCA is managing this. Audi club is doing lead/follow, paired up with an instructor in their car.
Great response. As he said you start with a Car Control Clinic.

The track days are currently done lead follow with radios between cars. That way the instructor can give you pointers as you drive the track. You can sign up for HPDE anytime after the car control clinic. To do an HPDE you will need to buy a helmet and get a track inspection done on your BMW. You must also be a BMWCCA member.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      03-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #15
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Excellent. Just did a bunch of reading up.

HPDE usually has someone in the car with you for most groups, right? Is that not happening right now due to COVID?

Would CCC usually have someone in the car with you or no?

Does CCC teach me how to induce and then counter oversteer or is that something that doesn't happen til HPDE? This is something I want to learn. I see people talk about how fun MDM mode and even DSC off mode is on our cars but I think it'd be irresponsible of me to be doing that right now haha.

Anyways...looking forward to it! I'm sure I'll have a blast.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Excellent. Just did a bunch of reading up.

HPDE usually has someone in the car with you for most groups, right? Is that not happening right now due to COVID?

Would CCC usually have someone in the car with you or no?

Does CCC teach me how to induce and then counter oversteer or is that something that doesn't happen til HPDE? This is something I want to learn. I see people talk about how fun MDM mode and even DSC off mode is on our cars but I think it'd be irresponsible of me to be doing that right now haha.

Anyways...looking forward to it! I'm sure I'll have a blast.
Here is what is included in the CCC and HPDE.

https://bmwpugetsound.com/driving-ev...iving-schools/
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #17
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep that pretty much matches what I read. I'm just unsure if these activities involve countering oversteer. I'm like 70% sure they would but not sure.

Slalom.
Wet skid pad.
Autocross (a small course defined by cones).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #18
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep that pretty much matches what I read. I'm just unsure if these activities involve countering oversteer. I'm like 70% sure they would but not sure.

Slalom.
Wet skid pad.
Autocross (a small course defined by cones).
Wet skid pad will provide lots of opportunities for practicing inducing and correcting oversteer (understeer too), but not to the point where you’ll have mastered it for hooning around town.

If that skill set is something you want to focus on, Dirtfish Rally School or Evergreen Drift are probably what you want to be looking at. CCC is a good introduction, but it’s one of many skills they’re trying to cover.
Appreciate 2
DanG10583.00
ESB1014.50
      03-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #19
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm registered for the CCC on April 16th. I might do the HPDE in May but I'll have to decide closer to the date. I hope to see some of you guys out there!

Quote:
Wet skid pad will provide lots of opportunities for practicing inducing and correcting oversteer (understeer too), but not to the point where you’ll have mastered it for hooning around town.

If that skill set is something you want to focus on, Dirtfish Rally School or Evergreen Drift are probably what you want to be looking at. CCC is a good introduction, but it’s one of many skills they’re trying to cover.
Just curious, have you done any of the Dirtfish sessions? It's been on my list for a while but...well...I just haven't made the effort yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #20
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm registered for the CCC on April 16th. I might do the HPDE in May but I'll have to decide closer to the date. I hope to see some of you guys out there!

Just curious, have you done any of the Dirtfish sessions? It's been on my list for a while but...well...I just haven't made the effort yet.
Yes, I did a half day session with some friends two years ago in BRZs. It was a blast. We went in December, so it was super wet and muddy. Lots of sliding around and splashing through the standing water. I’d highly recommend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poffman493.00
      04-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #21
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did the On Grid track day at The Ridge yesterday. Overall, a good experience and I recommend them but with some caveats. More on that below...

The original plan was to take the M2C but life happened that included not being able to get track pads in time, so I said fuck it and took the 1.6 liters of fury Fiesta ST. Good choice for a new track because the first couple sessions were throwaway laps anyway while I got oriented.

As for On Grid, at the start things were well-organized. Driver check-in was easy, the first drivers' meeting was the typical fare, and I decided to join run group 2 (low-intermediate) because I was new to the track and driving the slow car. The format was 5 20-ish minute sessions with a "download" meeting after the first meeting. I was expecting download meetings after every session but that wasn't the case, only after the first session.

My biggest concern about this event was the number of people because it is cheap. And when I say cheap I mean $160 if you register early. By far the cheapest I've ever seen for any track day. But it wasn't bad at all--maybe a dozen cars in my group, which did not cause too much congestion on track. However, talking with other drivers who have run with On Grid said they experienced some really busy days.

Things were fine until I was getting ready for my 9:40 session and there's a delay--someone's car dumped a bunch of oil on the track that I heard from word of mount. OK...so...waiting around with no announcement I assumed the schedule would be shifted back. Nope! About 25 minutes after my session was supposed to start they *finally* got on the PA and announced the oil-on-the-track situation and said they follow the schedule. That means no first session group 2.

I was pretty irritiated after showing up at 7:30am for my first session to be at 11am. That aspect could have been handled better but I get it, shit happens and cars break. After that the rest of the day was smooth sailing.

My takeaway from the day was On Grid is a fine even organizer but you get what you pay for. At budget prices you might deal with a lot more people and a lot more things to go wrong to have sessions cut short or completely skipped.

Other observations/thoughts:
-Like many other HPDE organizers it would be good to have "download" meetings after every sesssion. I've liked them for getting input about how to approach specific turns or anything else that happens on track, like the dude in a the Camaro that would not give a point-by to save his life!
-I will probably consider them for future events but only at budget prices. Too many people means too many things can go wrong for you to cough up hundreds of dollars for the experience.
-What the hell is with the track surface at The Ridge? I had to run what I brung for tires, which meant the 300 TW summers to get over Mt. Hood in the snow but all they did was squeal and slide on track. It was fun but also frustrating to constantly break the front tires loose in 3rd gear.
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
DanG10583.00
      04-13-2021, 01:08 AM   #22
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
-What the hell is with the track surface at The Ridge? I had to run what I brung for tires, which meant the 300 TW summers to get over Mt. Hood in the snow but all they did was squeal and slide on track. It was fun but also frustrating to constantly break the front tires loose in 3rd gear.
Good to hear you had a good time overall. Sounds like about what I expected. Thanks for the follow up with your experience.

They just repaved the track late last year and I haven’t been there in the dry yet. Interesting to hear it seemed slick to you. Others are telling me it’s running 2-3 seconds faster than the old surface.

ORP was a good time. I was able to get a 1:58 CCW Saturday after things dried out (we started the day with 33* and snow), and a 1:59 Sunday toward the end of the day. My previous best both directions was 2:04, so I was pretty happy with the weekend.
Appreciate 0