BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > ASD bypass harness

07-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

ASD bypass harness

Hi all,

Has anyone purchased and installed the ASD bypass harness (https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/) and had this installed in Melbourne?

If so - how much did shipping you back for the harness and where in Melbourne did you get this installed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Is there a specific reason you're looking at going down this path over coding it out with the like of bimmercode?
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      07-14-2020, 02:01 AM   #3
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Is there a specific reason you're looking at going down this path over coding it out with the like of bimmercode?
Maybe it's my ignorance on the topic but not entirely comfortable with tinkering with anything coding wise.

I've also read some coding out ASD can leave some static noise from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:47 AM   #4
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Interested in this, as I'm planning on getting a Fabspeed sportcat and ASD doesn't play nice with aftermarket exhausts or downpipes.

My basic research suggests that the the harnesses sold after 2016 have mostly reported no hiss. The beauty of Bimmercode (apart from the many other changes you can make), is that you can try coding out the ASD and see if it works. If it doesn't, get the harness and you'll still have a versatile tool in Bimmercode to tailor your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

I was just about to post for a group buy on this not to get a discount but split the shipping. It appears to be USD$35 just shipping for one unit and still the same for a few. Shame u are in Melbourne as would be happy to split the shipping.

From what I have read the harness does not eliminate the hiss, it is to do with the low voltage output of the deck but I wanted to try anyway as the hiss pisses me off.

If any Sydney peeps want to join my order PM me as i will intend to order this week.
      07-15-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
I was just about to post for a group buy on this not to get a discount but split the shipping. It appears to be USD$35 just shipping for one unit and still the same for a few. Shame u are in Melbourne as would be happy to split the shipping.

From what I have read the harness does not eliminate the hiss it is to do with the low voltage output of the deck but I wanted to try anyway as the hiss pisses me off.

If any Sydney peeps want to join my order PM me as i will intend to order this week.
Damn.. pity you're in Sydney

Yup I got quoted $35USD for shipping.. a bit steep.

Can I ask what's your reason to get the harness?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWoz View Post
Interested in this, as I'm planning on getting a Fabspeed sportcat and ASD doesn't play nice with aftermarket exhausts or downpipes.

My basic research suggests that the the harnesses sold after 2016 have mostly reported no hiss. The beauty of Bimmercode (apart from the many other changes you can make), is that you can try coding out the ASD and see if it works. If it doesn't, get the harness and you'll still have a versatile tool in Bimmercode to tailor your car.
Sorry I know I could do a bit of a search.. but does the use of bimmercode void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
As mentioned a last ditch effort to see if it gets rid of the hiss that is inherent in the system.

To your other question there is no straight answer. Some will say "anything you change" you have voided but the reality is that you are changing an audio setting from on to off via an in built setting so the chances of voiding is slim to none. But hey I'm no lawyer.
      07-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As mentioned to see if it gets rid of the hiss that is inherent in the system.

To your other question there is no straight answer. Some will say "anything you change" you have voided but the reality is that you are changing an audio setting from on to off via an in built setting so the chances of voiding is slim to none. But hey I'm no lawyer.
Cools thanks. You got an aftermarket exhaust on your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Nope oem with ASD coded off
      07-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

I got the harness a couple of weeks after my M2 was delivered in Nov 2016. Bimmercode wasn’t available at the time so the only solution was a hardware fix.

Install is quite easy to DIY. There’s no wires to cut or splice. Just some trim clips to remove and a harness to plug in.

I can’t hear any static hiss at all. It’s a good mod because ASD is rubbish and the OEM exhaust sounds great by itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I got the harness a couple of weeks after my M2 was delivered in Nov 2016. Bimmercode wasn’t available at the time so the only solution was a hardware fix.

Install is quite easy to DIY. There’s no wires to cut or splice. Just some trim clips to remove and a harness to plug in.

I can’t hear any static hiss at all. It’s a good mod because ASD is rubbish and the OEM exhaust sounds great by itself.
I'm not the most handiest around with my car.

Is it fairly straightforward to do? Did you follow instructions given on the forum as I wouldn't have a clue where to plug the harness into!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
Ahhchu
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389

Here's a fairly detailed post on the process. Your thread got me interested so I did a bit of digging around.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #14
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhchu View Post
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389

Here's a fairly detailed post on the process. Your thread got me interested so I did a bit of digging around.
Legend - thanks for this! Looks fairly straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #15
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
+1. That's what I did, no static or anything from speakers (just went and checked in the garage to be sure)
To me this is the simplest method, I can vouch for it as well as the other handy items you can code (disabling auto start stop being the one that stands out, also disabling headlight washers)

Good Luck.
      07-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #16
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Quote:
+1. That's what I did, no static or anything from speakers (just went and checked in the garage to be sure)
To me this is the simplest method, I can vouch for it as well as the other handy items you can code (disabling auto start stop being the one that stands out, also disabling headlight washers)

Good Luck.
Thanks for the inputs on the topic. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust and do you still leave asd coded off?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Quote:

Good Luck.
Thanks for the inputs on the topic. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust and do you still leave asd coded off?
I have the Fabspeed sportscat and stock catback which sounds awesome. ASD was off both before and after its fitted, better in both scenarios.
      07-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #18
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't find the car too quiet with ASD off with the OEM exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #19
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't find the car too quiet with ASD off with the OEM exhaust?
Thanks for that - you mentioned ASD off was better even with the stock exhaust. You didn't find things too quiet? That's my concern - once I switch off ASD, I'll need to then go get an aftermarket exhaust! I'm already thinking MPE and I've only had the car one month :s

When covid restrictions are over - hopefully get the chance to hear the MPE more in person from our community forum members. Lots of Melbourne owners here on the forum have the MPE for the OG M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #20
LuNguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I've got the Akra slip on on the competition and initially coded out ASD. I added the harness and thought it sounded cleaner again with less hiss but how much of that is placebo effect who knows. The install is easy you'll be able to do it. I have a set of trim removal tools for these jobs too.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #21
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuNguyen View Post
I've got the Akra slip on on the competition and initially coded out ASD. I added the harness and thought it sounded cleaner again with less hiss but how much of that is placebo effect who knows. The install is easy you'll be able to do it. I have a set of trim removal tools for these jobs too.
How do you find the akra exhaust on the m2c?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #22
LuNguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
How do you find the akra exhaust on the m2c?
Love it. It's not cheap of course. However, I wanted to get rid of the low hanging muffler look and I opportunistically had it installed at the same time that I had my car in for wrap.

I know the S55 sound has a bad reputation but I think with the akra it sounds great. I still think the flat six is the best and that will be the direction I eventually move again.
Appreciate 0