BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > F87 ISTEP upgrade (any known negative impact?)

03-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Post F87 ISTEP upgrade (any known negative impact?)

My F87 is a Oct 2016 build, have the annoying reverse PDC issue.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407645

Just want to check with local Australian folks who has done latest ISTEP upgrade, is there anything (noticeably) negative about the upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to get it done as a part of the Takata airbag recall (I'll request it, do I need to say anything else not working properly to get it? e.g. iPhone connectivity, etc.)?

Interesting find doing a search here in F87 forum: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407645

My goal is to fix the PDC issue, hopefully the DCT shifting logic (program) will also get updated for better low speed shifting (I manually shift 90% anyway...).

Thanks!
      03-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I had my July 17 build LCI updated in December 18 (I had been lazy getting the LCI dash recall done). My car is manual so can't comment on DCT affects but the latest iSTEP includes the M2C MDM traction mode, traction control is noticeably less intrusive in MDM/Sport+, not a negative but something to be mindful of. Updating from Oct16 iSTEP you'll also get an improvement in the electric steering.
For me there were no negatives.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi TerryWang,

One negative that I experienced from an ISTEP upgrade in October last year was that it knocked out the "comfort access" that I had configured through Bimmercode.

The long doors on the M2 mean that it can be awkward when getting out in confined spaces (like our garage), so we had configured the seats to move back when the car doors were opened.

When ISTEP was upgraded, it erased this (which it has done before), but when I went to reinstate it, I found that Bimmercode was unable to program this. I contacted the developer and he advised that BMW had move the codes and he hadn't been able to locate them. I tried again in February, but no change unfortunately.

The most unfortunate part of all this was that I didn't think that the upgrade was worthwhile: I had read that the DCT changes were better, particularly at low speed (in low gears), but I wasn't able to detect any improvements.

Cheers,
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
My F87 is a Oct 2016 build, have the annoying reverse PDC issue.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407645

Just want to check with local Australian folks who has done latest ISTEP upgrade, is there anything (noticeably) negative about the upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to get it done as a part of the Takata airbag recall (I'll request it, do I need to say anything else not working properly to get it? e.g. iPhone connectivity, etc.)?

Interesting find doing a search here in F87 forum: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407645

My goal is to fix the PDC issue, hopefully the DCT shifting logic (program) will also get updated for better low speed shifting (I manually shift 90% anyway...).

Thanks!
Hi there - reviving an old post but did you end up going with the istep update and were there any negative effects?

I've been told that the pops and burbles are reduced from some software updates and I believe that might be the case for my car which I just bought.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi TerryWang,

One negative that I experienced from an ISTEP upgrade in October last year was that it knocked out the "comfort access" that I had configured through Bimmercode.

The long doors on the M2 mean that it can be awkward when getting out in confined spaces (like our garage), so we had configured the seats to move back when the car doors were opened.

When ISTEP was upgraded, it erased this (which it has done before), but when I went to reinstate it, I found that Bimmercode was unable to program this. I contacted the developer and he advised that BMW had move the codes and he hadn't been able to locate them. I tried again in February, but no change unfortunately.

The most unfortunate part of all this was that I didn't think that the upgrade was worthwhile: I had read that the DCT changes were better, particularly at low speed (in low gears), but I wasn't able to detect any improvements.

Cheers,
did you find any change to the ASD volume with the ISTEP update?
Appreciate 0