BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

08-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #45
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Any luck bro? Hope you were able to find a solution.
It's been confirmed by a few owners: installing the Burkhart AK motion allows you to disable the burbles on deceleration...see post #41 above
Thanks! I personally don't mind the burbles I only drive the car on track days and weekends. I guess if I'm driving it daily I might annoy me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
While some people might like the pops , others think they make the car sound like a cheap tuner. 5 pops when I'm cruising 30kph and let my foot off the gas is just dumb....
Cheap tuner?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #47
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
While some people might like the pops , others think they make the car sound like a cheap tuner. 5 pops when I'm cruising 30kph and let my foot off the gas is just dumb....
Cheap tuner?
Lol sorry man. Personal preference to what I have come to associate the over pronounced pops to...
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #48
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Lol sorry man. Personal preference to what I have come to associate the over pronounced pops to...
Without additional exhaust modification the pops are very subtle, and don't sound anything like the newer cars with anti-lag. But hey, if it bothers you that much, leave it in comfort...

It's the big fart sound with throttle lift that I hate, and if I could tune that out I would in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #49
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Without additional exhaust modification the pops are very subtle, and don't sound anything like the newer cars with anti-lag. But hey, if it bothers you that much, leave it in comfort...

It's the big fart sound with throttle lift that I hate, and if I could tune that out I would in a heartbeat.
Yea, that's more my issue and my earlier post might have made it sound like I hate all the pops. I don't have an issue when it's under load. I dislike the excessive burbles, popcorn effect when throttle is lifted at lower speeds.

I also want to say that the pops sound subtle while your driving. They are not subtle if you're outside the car lol
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #50
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yea, that's more my issue and my earlier post might have made it sound like I hate all the pops. I don't have an issue when it's under load. I dislike the excessive burbles, popcorn effect when throttle is lifted at lower speeds.

I also want to say that the pops sound subtle while your driving. They are not subtle if you're outside the car lol
Back when my exhaust was stock, I didn't get hardly any pops unless I was in traction control mode. A few here and there in Sport, but nothing aggressive.

I actually like the way the car drives in comfort mode, it's so much easier to drive, and to that end, there is almost no sound at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #51
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Back when my exhaust was stock, I didn't get hardly any pops unless I was in traction control mode. A few here and there in Sport, but nothing aggressive.

I actually like the way the car drives in comfort mode, it's so much easier to drive, and to that end, there is almost no sound at all.
That's the plan for now. Got a CG precision valve controller to keep the valves open while in comfort mode. Just waiting for the Dinan exhaust to finally ship....
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #52
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
That's the point I've raised a few posts ago: it's been confirmed on this forum that the "fart sounds with throttle lift" can be turned off via Burkhart AK-Motion display; this option seems cheaper (or about same) than your chosen tune & without the possible warranty issues, a point I believe the OP identified would rather not risk.

Actual thread here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1632499&page=2

Regardless how one feels about the deceleration sounds, there are no right or wrong choices here - it's simply a personal choice and I respect both sides (although I'm adamant that chocolate ice-cream trumps vanilla flavour any day of the week, anyone who says otherwise is completely wrong of course and needs to have his/her taste buds rechecked jk of course). But seriously, I think the underlying concern here is that some of us would have preferred a simpler and more cost effective option to turn off the deceleration burbles.

The fact that the AK-Motion can turn it off via ODB/CAN bus wiring interface seems like it could have been implemented rather simply via an iDrive check-mark, or even the M1/2 mode options - now wouldn't that have been stellar?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #53
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
That's the point I've raised a few posts ago: it's been confirmed on this forum that the "fart sounds with throttle lift" can be turned off via Burkhart AK-Motion display; this option seems cheaper (or about same) than your chosen tune & without the possible warranty issues, a point I believe the OP identified would rather not risk.
I adore the throttle-lift pops and cackles, what I don't like is the long fart sound. Interesting that it ONLY happens in Sport and Sport+.

I plan to get BM3 when my warranty runs out, and if I can't get the long fart tuned out then I'll have to do something else, so thanks for the info!

The sound I'm talking about can be heard at 1:33 here...

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #54
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just waiting for the Dinan exhaust to finally ship....
Tell me about it...from a value/performance ratio, Dinan seems one of the best aftermarket exhaust choices. However, there are 2 things keeping me away from purchasing the Dinan exhaust:

1. extensive manufacturing/external vendor delays that Dinan admitted. I can purchase one now, and might get it by Christmas, if lucky...

2. since the burbles seem to amplify with any aftermarket exhaust option, for those who don't like them, upgrading the exhaust will bleed into extra costs to either tune them out via bootmod/BM3, etc. or install the AK-Motion display.

You guys will be shocked when I reveal this brand new phenomenon that I solely discovered about a decade ago and no-one on this forum has ever experienced: it's called a upgraditis, and I'm seeking professional help. It's a real thing...don't laugh!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kiosko19.00
      08-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #55
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The sound I'm talking about can be heard at 1:33 here...
slightly here... I could be mistaken, but the pops and crackles you refer to are primarily as a result of un-burnt fuel in the exhaust manifold and they can be tuned out (Bootmod, BM3, AK-Display, etc.). Whereas the farting sound like in the video you posted is more related to how the pulses in each of the exhaust pipes don't arrive at the same time at the muffler end. Having an equal length exhaust should eradicate the fart issue (Milltek already has an equal length axle back for the M2C and Active Autowerke released one for the F80 platform, soon for the F87).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #56
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
...The fact that the AK-Motion can turn it off via ODB/CAN bus wiring interface seems like it could have been implemented rather simply via an iDrive check-mark, or even the M1/2 mode options - now wouldn't that have been stellar?
I would have liked that option!

If burbles on/off is accessible via AK-Motion, what keeps it from becoming accessible through Bimmercode? Is it a matter of Bimmercode writing the code to access the pertinent "menu"?
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7405.50
      08-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #57
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
If burbles on/off is accessible via AK-Motion, what keeps it from becoming accessible through Bimmercode? Is it a matter of Bimmercode writing the code to access the pertinent "menu"?
That's an excellent point...perhaps if enough of us send in requests to the developers, they could implement it? I don't have Bimmercode (remember, trying to manage the upgraditis condition here...) but I hear the developers are really interactive and supportive.

If Bimmercode can implement it, the heck with the condition, I'll buy one ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #58
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
FYI - I contacted Bimmercode developers to see if they can implement turning off the exhaust burbles/pops upon deceleration.

Will update if I hear anything. If interested in this feature, it might help if you reach out to them as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #59
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FYI - I contacted Bimmercode developers to see if they can implement turning off the exhaust burbles/pops upon deceleration.

Will update if I hear anything. If interested in this feature, it might help if you reach out to them as well.
I did the same and received this response this morning:

"if you are willing to test I could implement this, yes."

I replied back asking for details on possible risk of a bricked ECU while testing, but also letting them know I was interested in pursuing.
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #60
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did the same and received this response this morning:

"if you are willing to test I could implement this, yes."

I replied back asking for details on possible risk of a bricked ECU while testing, but also letting them know I was interested in pursuing.
This is encouraging news...I've received the same message, so apparently it can be done.

I don't have Bimmercode nor the prerequisite ODB dongle, and really that would be the only feature I would need; is anyone here who has one willing to test out the turning off deceleration pops?

Daytona_550: do you have Bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #61
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, I have Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #62
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I have Bimmercode.
Good...just emailed Bimmercode (Stephan)...super responsive. His reputation and stellar product made me buy the VeePeak OBDCheck BLE dongle and his app. Now awaiting Amazon to deliver it and I will become a test subject on the 'turning off deceleration pops"

Besides...I can code out other cool features, like full mirror folding, ASD Off, etc., so seems I'll be ahead of the game on this one.

@OP - there you go, looks like you have another option to turn off burbles. Daytona_550 and I are willing to test it out for you. Next time we are in München, you owe us a Franziskaner Weissbier, but myself will settle for anything from Paulaner or Löwenbräu.

"Lass Dir raten, trinke Spaten"...man I miss Bavaria, such a great part of the world, one of my favourites
Appreciate 4
      08-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #63
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Good...just emailed Bimmercode (Stephan)...super responsive. His reputation and stellar product made me buy the VeePeak OBDCheck BLE dongle and his app. Now awaiting Amazon to deliver it and I will become a test subject on the 'turning off deceleration pops"

Besides...I can code out other cool features, like full mirror folding, ASD Off, etc., so seems I'll be ahead of the game on this one.

@OP - there you go, looks like you have another option to turn off burbles. Daytona_550 and I are willing to test it out for you. Next time we are in München, you owe us a Franziskaner Weissbier, but myself will settle for anything from Paulaner or Löwenbräu.

"Lass Dir raten, trinke Spaten"...man I miss Bavaria, such a great part of the world, one of my favourites
Thanks to you and Daytona_550! This awesome. Can't wait to turn off ASD, exhaust overrun, and rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #64
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
FYI...getting confirmation from the developer now, but I believe we'd need BimmerLINK not BimmerCODE to turn off the exhaust pops.

From my limited research, BimmerLINK and BimmerCODE are not interchangeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #65
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Quote:

Any time!

Very good result of a simple forum thread. VERY HAPPY

I have sent an email also, but ask for burbles and rev match as well.
Got postive answer , that they are considering it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #66
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
FYI...getting confirmation from the developer now, but I believe we'd need BimmerLINK not BimmerCODE to turn off the exhaust pops.

From my limited research, BimmerLINK and BimmerCODE are not interchangeable.
What do you mean interchangeable? It looks like they do different things, if that's what you mean I understand.

I'm also emailing to show more support and I'm willing to test.