BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track advice for mods needed

12-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #23
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEFTY View Post
Great advice in this thread. OG SHARK said something to the effect of learn yourself, the car, and your and it’s limits first. I see too many throwing the entire parts bin at their cars and not going too fast.
My suggestion, probably gets you through a few years if doing 2-4 track days a year.
*Wheels, 19” Apex, Titan, BMW 437
*Tires, 245 and 265 /35-19 or 255 and 275 /35-19
I suggest wheels and tires so you don’t chew up your street tires.
*Castrol SRF brake fluid, or Motul or something similar you have easy access to
*Ferodo DS1-11, Pagid RSL29, Cobalt XP12, or similar pads that you can find in stock to be swapped on for track use only

Done, enjoy a few years of fun!

If you feel you want to add something after this, do a seat, amazing how being more secure in the car will help ,or Ethan other items.
Quick tip to really secure yourself in the stock seats: move the seat back from your normal position. Give the seat belt a quick pull so it locks. While holding it locked move your seat up so it’s tight on you. You can use the memory functions in the seat to make this super easy before each run.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #24
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quick tip to really secure yourself in the stock seats: move the seat back from your normal position. Give the seat belt a quick pull so it locks. While holding it locked move your seat up so it’s tight on you. You can use the memory functions in the seat to make this super easy before each run.
I'm going to have to try this again. I couldn't get it to work in my car. It kept loosening up.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #25
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The key thing to keep in mind re: camber and track days is how you drive and how much you push. If you focus on smoothness, steering more with the rear, don’t throw the front end into a corner and don’t shoot for times and pace, you will be fine with the stock setup. I’d still suggest the camber correcting hubs to give you that little bit of extra headroom, and with zero toe, they are a perfectly streetable setup.

But, as you get more comfortable with the car and push harder, you will quickly run into premature wear of the front tires and cost saving will go out the window with how quickly you can wear out the front tires, even with more camber. So keep that in mind as you proceed. This applies to DS2500 as well - it’s a good dual purpose pad, but if pushed it WILL fade and it WILL prematurely wear out. Just keep that in mind.

Lastly, I believe the M Performance coilovers are basically a KW. You could look into the possibility of using a KW linear spring and the camber top mount from the V4.
Appreciate 1
Rk-d598.50