BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Brake Fluid Interval(track use)

10-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Hello, My Castrol srf is going 1 year this nov and the car is my NOT daily, just occasionally canyons run. Did like 2 track days and I have one track day left this year. I'm curious if I should change it now it will be just fine 1 more track. My very first day track I did a lot of braking and second not that much. Anyone here have the same fluid that occasionally track their car?
Also, How do you know if you're brake fluid is going bad?
Thanks
OG M2
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Hello, My Castrol srf is going 1 year this nov and the car is my NOT daily, just occasionally canyons run. Did like 2 track days and I have one track day left this year. I'm curious if I should change it now it will be just fine 1 more track. My very first day track I did a lot of braking and second not that much. Anyone here have the same fluid that occasionally track their car?
Thanks
OG M2
I'm at about 18mo with 3 track days on the car. You can have the water content of the fluid checked. I chose SRF because it's one of the most water resistant and has longer change intervals. I plan to change it at the 2yr mark, or I'll have it tested prior to my next track event if that happens sooner. Brakes performed perfectly at last track event.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      10-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Thanks
OG M2
I'm at about 18mo with 3 track days on the car. You can have the water content of the fluid checked. I chose SRF because it's one of the most water resistant and has longer change intervals. I plan to change it at the 2yr mark, or I'll have it tested prior to my next track event if that happens sooner. Brakes performed perfectly at last track event.
How do you check it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I get my SRF flushed every 12 months or less.
A good question is how fast of a track will you be on.

COTA is the fastest track I run where for me turn 1 is 135 to 40 and the back straight at 150 to 40 and I need the brakes to work. On slower tracks I wouldn’t be as worried.

Quote:
Thanks
OG M2
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I get my SRF flushed every 12 months or less.
A good question is how fast of a track will you be on.

COTA is the fastest track I run where for me turn 1 is 135 to 40 and the back straight at 150 to 40 and I need the brakes to work. On slower tracks I wouldn’t be as worried.

Quote:
Thanks
OG M2
Thunderhill east, ill say like 130 top speed
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 06:28 PM   #6
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
I talked to a few people from the last bmw cca event. They generally wanna see it changed every 6 months or 3 track weekends or else they won't pass pre track day track inspection for bmw cca.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:34 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
How do you check it?
I don't. The shop I take it to does. My guess is they take a sample and let it sit for a bit. Water should separate and a volume ratio could be calculated. Unsure what percentage water is considered the limit for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:06 PM   #8
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Quote:
Quote:
How do you check it?
I don't. The shop I take it to does. My guess is they take a sample and let it sit for a bit. Water should separate and a volume ratio could be calculated. Unsure what percentage water is considered the limit for replacement.
They have electronic testers that can supposedly read water content by measuring resistance between two prongs. I've seen brand new fluid come back as yellow (out of red/ yellow/ green) so I don't trust them entirely
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 11:49 AM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiterBeater View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How do you check it?
They have electronic testers that can supposedly read water content by measuring resistance between two prongs. I've seen brand new fluid come back as yellow (out of red/ yellow/ green) so I don't trust them entirely
You can get manual test strips as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
I talked to a few people from the last bmw cca event. They generally wanna see it changed every 6 months or 3 track weekends or else they won't pass pre track day track inspection for bmw cca.
That rule is for people running questionable fluids. Like no name brands, or even Brembo, or fluids requiring a change after a few months (like RBF). SRF is of different ilk.

The beauty of SRF is that WET boiling point is very close to DRY boiling point. I've use the same flush of SRF for 3 years in my M2, with multiple 'Ring and Spa track days.

Now in Camaro SS 1LE which reaches higher top speeds than my M2 did, and I just wrapped up year 2 and 8 track days on this fluid. I will change it before start of next season, but I just did Mid Ohio, which is a fast track with a few BIG brake zones, on hardly any thickness of the brake pads. No issues with fluid at all. SRF is solid for 2-3 year interval. Doing it annually with SRF is like changing you BWM LL oil every 3000 miles.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
That rule is for people running questionable fluids. Like no name brands, or even Brembo, or fluids requiring a change after a few months (like RBF). SRF is of different ilk.

The beauty of SRF is that WET boiling point is very close to DRY boiling point. I've use the same flush of SRF for 3 years in my M2, with multiple 'Ring and Spa track days.

Now in Camaro SS 1LE which reaches higher top speeds than my M2 did, and I just wrapped up year 2 and 8 track days on this fluid. I will change it before start of next season, but I just did Mid Ohio, which is a fast track with a few BIG brake zones, on hardly any thickness of the brake pads. No issues with fluid at all. SRF is solid for 2-3 year interval. Doing it annually with SRF is like changing you BWM LL oil every 3000 miles.
SRF is explicitly 18 months. It's pretty cheap, why you wouldn't change it according to their spec?
      10-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #12
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
SRF is explicitly 18 months. It's pretty cheap, why you wouldn't change it according to their spec?
Because it works?

Even when saturated with moisture it’s wet boiling point is way better than the competition.

I did sub 8min Nordschleife laps on it during year 3. Plus in every hard braking situation I put it in, it delivered. So why would I change it earlier?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #13
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

“an abundance of caution”
idiom: mainly US

The fact that someone is being extremely careful to avoid a particular risk, even if the risk is small:

E.g - “The airline said that out of an abundance of caution they would temporarily ground their entire fleet of planes.”

SRF may have worked in your extended use case scenario without repercussions but given the risk some choose to change SRF on shorter intervals. To each their own. Ain’t gotta smoke my brand cigarettes to be cool. Running sub 8 ring laps is cool.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      10-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #14
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I use RBF 600 and change it at the beginning of the track season. Never had any issues. It does get pretty dark at the year mark though.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      10-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #15
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
“an abundance of caution”
idiom: mainly US

The fact that someone is being extremely careful to avoid a particular risk, even if the risk is small:

E.g - “The airline said that out of an abundance of caution they would temporarily ground their entire fleet of planes.”

SRF may have worked in your extended use case scenario without repercussions but given the risk some choose to change SRF on shorter intervals. To each their own. Ain’t gotta smoke my brand cigarettes to be cool. Running sub 8 ring laps is cool.
I don't understand what you saying or on but ty lmao
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #16
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Responding to the post directly above. Also, drugs.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      10-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #17
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Quote:
Responding to the post directly above. Also, drugs.
Hop off that
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #18
///393
Captain
Rep

Na
Appreciate 0