BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Brake pads = Head Explodey. A little help?

04-19-2022, 07:48 AM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So, I've got to make a decision soon, and am vacillating between the Porterfield R4-S and the Ferodo DS2500.

Or, a dedicated track pad that won't eat my stock rotors alive. But this seems to maybe be overkill at this point?

Sigh. I really don't know which way to jump-- paralysis by analysis-- I was looking at pad reviews whenever I had a spare moment today.

The reviews drive me nuts. Driver X-- Pad A sucks. Pad B is amazing. Driver Y-- Pad B sucks. Pad A is amazing. Driver Z-- Brakes are for pussies. Just stick with wet cardboard in place of pads.

Ugh. Any guidance?
If you plan to do many track days per season, I would suggest to run a dedicated track pad. Last weekend I didn't bother changing my street pads to track pads, and the brakes felt way worse.

Once you used to a dedicated track pad, you get used to braking late and catching other cars in brake zones. Was difficult to walk my brake points backwards and brake earlier with street pads. DTC60s going back in before next track day for sure.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      04-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #24
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Guys--

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions.

I bit the bullet and am going with the Ferodo DS2500's and Motul fluid (mostly because that's what my shop has in stock-- they use it on their dedicated race cars, so good enough for me.)

I figure I'll try the pads on my next track event, and if/when I get good enough, one of the interesting things about the Ferodo's (according to Essex) is that the pads are all mostly swappable/mixable due to how they blend the compound-- so it's "a thing" to be able to just swap a track-only front and leave the rears with the DS2500's-- that might work down the road as I get better on threshold braking prior to entry-- it would cut the time requirements down to something I might be able to handle.

Thanks again to all! The car's getting some clear bra touchup and its annual maintenance wash (for the ceramic coating) today, and it'll go into the shop for some suspension adjustments, brake job and a few other minor niggles mid-next month. Then, track days.

R.
      04-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #25
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

You could always run OEM (since you said they weren't bad) and order from FCPeuro and get lifetime replacements. Pay with PayPal and you get free shipping back through PayPal as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #26
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
You could always run OEM (since you said they weren't bad) and order from FCPeuro and get lifetime replacements. Pay with PayPal and you get free shipping back through PayPal as well.
you can get the ferrodo 2500s on FCPeuro too and so forever free replacements which is great (of course they don't care any more track dedicated Ferrodo pads). What do you mean by free shipping back with paypal?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 04:22 AM   #27
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
you can get the ferrodo 2500s on FCPeuro too and so forever free replacements which is great (of course they don't care any more track dedicated Ferrodo pads). What do you mean by free shipping back with paypal?
For returns, if you checked out with PayPal, they will cover the shipping costs for returns.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #28
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
For returns, if you checked out with PayPal, they will cover the shipping costs for returns.
no way, thats good to know. Very cool
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #29
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
A couple of thoughts on the last few comments.

My DS2500s rarely squeal, but I've found the DS3.12 actually squeals even less. Kinda crazy since it's such a good track pad.

The 3.12 also doesn't chew down rotors as quickly as the Uno, 1.11, PFC's, Pagid, etc. All of those are rotor killers. I've gone thru 25+ sets of pads over the last 5+ years on my M2 and the 3.12 has had the least rotor wear.

The 3.12 also has the best pedal feel, IMO. Uno is too grabby, 1.11 is too "hard" and not great feel, Pagid is horrible in terms of feel, PFC 08 is like 1.11, and PFC 11 is great. 3.12 & PFC 11 are my favs for feel, but man, those PFC's are so loud.

If you're a halfway aggressive braker on track, the DS2500 isn't enough. They'll start to fade and I've actually cracked one on WGI as a dry line started to form once a top layer of snow was cleared from the track. I figured they'd be fine in the snow, but as soon as a tire's width of dry pavement appeared, they quickly overheated and failed on me.

Based on everything mentioned and the fact that M2C pads aren't as easy to change as OG (or AP Racing) calipers, I'd run the DS3.12 full time. IDK if the 3.12 comes it the M2C pad shape, but www.bestbrakes.com generally has the best pricing.
I'll 2nd ZM2's thoughts on the 3.12's. Awesome track pad but I only drove to and from events on them. I ran 2500's as my street pad
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #30
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just looked into the 3.12s and does not look like they make them for the 2NH bbk
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:56 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Just as a follow-up-- I had the DS2550's installed when the car went for its tech inspection as I'm *terrifyingly* busy at work. (Also had suspension raised a bit as I'm tired of kissing the street all the time on dips).

So far? LOVE 'EM-- Three days at the track next weekend, so we'll see. But, they bite hard, NO noise at all-- pretty much exactly what I'm wanting at the moment.

The shop did say that they had to do some "small" modifications to make them fit properly, but I was in and out so fast, I didn't get a chance to even read the tech's documentation (which is currently about 1200 miles from me at the moment).

Here's hoping for a good weekend.

R.
chris7197334.00
      05-15-2022, 11:25 PM   #32
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Just as a follow-up-- I had the DS2550's installed when the car went for its tech inspection as I'm *terrifyingly* busy at work. (Also had suspension raised a bit as I'm tired of kissing the street all the time on dips).

So far? LOVE 'EM-- Three days at the track next weekend, so we'll see. But, they bite hard, NO noise at all-- pretty much exactly what I'm wanting at the moment.

The shop did say that they had to do some "small" modifications to make them fit properly, but I was in and out so fast, I didn't get a chance to even read the tech's documentation (which is currently about 1200 miles from me at the moment).

Here's hoping for a good weekend.

R.
Dust any different than the stock pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:02 AM   #33
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

do let us know because I need pads soon. To be fair the stock pads have been fine on the track for me at my experience level but they did start to fade last time towards the end of the session. I am considering DS2500 because worsts comes to worst and they do not become adequate I can always switch em btw the 1.1, Id rather not for now and just not have to switch btw track days and I do think the 2500s will be fine for me for at least a couple more seasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:18 AM   #34
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Currently running PFC 08 and will be moving to DS3.11 it sounds like.

These 08s are loud, hard on the rotors, and while they have excellent bite for a couple laps, once they’re hot that bite backs down. While it stays consistent from there on as an endurance pad, I’m running 25-30 min sessions not 6hr races.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #35
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'll let you know. Car gets a bath for Date Night on Wed, and is at the track Fri-Sun. That'll give me a good indication of dusting.

R.
chris7197334.00
      05-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #36
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
do let us know because I need pads soon. To be fair the stock pads have been fine on the track for me at my experience level but they did start to fade last time towards the end of the session.
I’ll make ya a smoking deal on a set of PFC 08s with 6 track days on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 10:44 PM   #37
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was only able to run one track day instead of three (thanks, CO weather!)-- and I literally went from the track to the airport, flew a trip, came home, and promptly got hit between the eyes with Covid.

So. The car's sitting out in the rain as we speak, and I haven't been well enough to pull the track wheels/tires off, or really pay much attention to it.

BUT- overall, I'm going to say that the DS2500's dust a fair bit LESS than the stock M2C pads.

I have anthracite wheels, so it's tough to tell, but there really didn't seem to be a lot of dust on them from what I could see.

YMMV.

R.

Now? Back to mixing alcohol with honey, hot cider and anti-virals. Covid sucks donkey cock.

And this is WITH two shots and a booster? Holy frell-- without them, I'd most likely be dead or on the forefront of a zombie apocalypse.

R.
chris7197334.00
      06-01-2022, 12:46 AM   #38
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was only able to run one track day instead of three (thanks, CO weather!)-- and I literally went from the track to the airport, flew a trip, came home, and promptly got hit between the eyes with Covid.

So. The car's sitting out in the rain as we speak, and I haven't been well enough to pull the track wheels/tires off, or really pay much attention to it.

BUT- overall, I'm going to say that the DS2500's dust a fair bit LESS than the stock M2C pads.

I have anthracite wheels, so it's tough to tell, but there really didn't seem to be a lot of dust on them from what I could see.

YMMV.

R.

Now? Back to mixing alcohol with honey, hot cider and anti-virals. Covid sucks donkey cock.

And this is WITH two shots and a booster? Holy frell-- without them, I'd most likely be dead or on the forefront of a zombie apocalypse.

R.
Not shocked they might be less dusty than stock. Thanks for the feedback, hope you feel better soon.

The viral dynamics with omicron are such that the vaccines don't give you amazing protection against infection like they originally did since they no longer are a great match, but you should clear it rapidly once your adaptive response gets going around day 5. Everyone is different, though. Don't drink too heavily, it doesn't help your immune system .

If you're taking Paxlovid (which I recommend if you can get it) you'll want to watch for a rebound when you stop taking it, you can become symptomatic and infectious again for a short period since apparently the approved dosing is too conservative. The course needed to be a few days longer.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      06-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #39
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

The shop did say that they had to do some "small" modifications to make them fit properly, but I was in and out so fast, I didn't get a chance to even read the tech's documentation (which is currently about 1200 miles from me at the moment).....
I'm betting that this is to swap your stock backing plates onto the new pads - Zeckhausen site has a decent explanation of it (or did when I bought mine). Without it, the pads have a little side play and will make a knocking sound if you brake in reverse. I love these, and was pleased to hear some additional positive feedback from a former pro driver who is using them on his M2C - per his info, these may be better than track pads, since the ABS tends to kick in early if it sense over-aggressive initial bite that track pads usually produce. He likes these better than the other Ferodo options for HPDE type use. And hope you get thru the covid unscathed.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      06-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #40
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Query-- does this look normal for the rears?

It sure seems like the caliper is *really* close to the rotor. Pads are more or less new, and it looks that way on both sides of the car.

Maybe it's correct, but since I had a shop do the brake job due to lack of time, I don't have a good frame of reference.

TIA--

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 06-06-2022 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #41
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:

It sure seems like the caliper is *really* close to the rotor. Pads are more or less new, and it looks that way on both sides of the car.

Maybe it's correct, but since I had a shop do the brake job due to lack of time, I don't have a good frame of reference.

TIA--

R.
The brake pad has to hold in place even when there is almost no pad material, so the space between rotor in minimum thickness and caliper has to be smaller than pad back plate.

So yes, that is absolutely normal situation, your caliper is fixed, it's not moving anywhere.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      06-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #42
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

TIA--

R.
I'll check mine on the weekend - away right now, seems normal though.

Any thoughts on the cold or initial braking with the DS2500? OEM pads are overly grabby so I don't mind giving up some, but I am a little wary after my experience with Hawk HPS on my Mazda 3. Initial bite was scary sometimes, no braking for like an entire second if wet.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      06-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #43
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Query-- does this look normal for the rears?.
Normal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M2Pilot278.50
flybigjet6822.00
      06-14-2022, 06:56 PM   #44
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TIA--

R.
I'll check mine on the weekend - away right now, seems normal though.

Any thoughts on the cold or initial braking with the DS2500? OEM pads are overly grabby so I don't mind giving up some, but I am a little wary after my experience with Hawk HPS on my Mazda 3. Initial bite was scary sometimes, no braking for like an entire second if wet.
No cold breaking issues at all. At least with stock rotors and Motul.
chris7197334.00