10-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #1
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
BMW M Track Days

I'm registered for a half day slot at the M Track days event coming up at Monticello Motor Club next week. Has anyone ever been to one of these? I'm wondering if it's more of a watered down experience or if they really let you rip on the cars. How much seat time do you actually get behind the cars?

They probably wont have one there to drive, but it'd be great if the new M2 was there on display to get a look at it in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayee88 View Post
I'm registered for a half day slot at the M Track days event coming up at Monticello Motor Club next week. Has anyone ever been to one of these? I'm wondering if it's more of a watered down experience or if they really let you rip on the cars. How much seat time do you actually get behind the cars?

They probably wont have one there to drive, but it'd be great if the new M2 was there on display to get a look at it in person.
I did it last year. The full day.

Was my first "track" day ever and for that it was excellent. Monticello is an amazing track that you really only get to experience through something like this (or if you have a LOT of money, which I unfortunately don't). So for that also alone I think it was worth it.

Full day has a lot of filler stuff like the drag racing (which is fun), the skip pad was ok since you don't get a lot of time and autocross was cool but short.
The best part of the day is of course the track time. Not sure how they will do it this year but last year was lead follow, on the full day you get 3 sessions I think 6 laps per session iirc). I got to drive the M3comp, M5comp and M2comp. It was awesome to be able to use their cars, their tires, their brakes. They let you rip on the car and the instructor in the lead car will go as fast as the slowest driver. So if you get in a group that has 2 fast drivers you can do pretty good but if 1 of the drivers is slow the instructor will wait for the slower car which can be really frustrating. You have to run the cars full traction on (no MDM, has to be full on).
Since you are doing half day I think you get 2 of these instead of 3. So if they are still doing lead follow you will do 3 laps behind instructor with another driver behind you, then you will switch and its instructor, other driver and you. You will do this twice (I bet you will be in a g80 and then a m5 comp). So seat time for the money is not great, you get so much more from an HPDE, like a LOT more for same money - which is why I did not go this year.

Personally i would do it again if only to drive Monticello again. Its fall right now and its pretty amazing place.

They might have the new M2 there, its possible. Last year they had a M5CS and I am pretty sure was just released then.
Appreciate 1
jayee88102.50
      10-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info! Glad to know that it's basically what I was expecting and that there's a chance of the new M2 being there.

I was lucky enough to go to Monticello for a non-member private track day that a vendor from work invited me to. That's actually the main reason I was interested in this M track day. My PFP was taken one of their G80 M3C fleet cars that BMW gives to them. Maybe one day in the far future I'll be able to afford a membership there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      10-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Its an excellent track but membership is pretty high but if I could afford it and I lived near by (I mean I kinda of do, its about an hour from me) I would get one. Its tough though because I would also love a lime rock membership which is also an excellent track.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #5
jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No new M2 but they had the XM on display. I'm not saying it looks good by any means, but it does look much better than it does in the promotional videos. It might actually be decent with a shadowline package.

My overall thoughts on the M day, it was okay but you can only go as fast as the people you're grouped with and a lot of people in the track sessions were getting in a 500hp vehicle for the first time ever. The track session was run through the north track (not the full track), one round in M3C's and another in M4C's. Autocross was done in M240i's. It was fun but short, hard to learn the course and go for a good time in just 3 runs. Drag strip was also pretty short, wasn't a full 1/4 mile and was combined with a brake box - wasn't nearly enough room to stretch out the legs on any of the cars (M5C, M8C convertible, X3MC, X4MC). Since DSC had to remain on, we could not engage launch mode. We did a hot lap with the instructors at the end in a M5C with DSC off in RWD mode which was awesome, but it only lasted for 1 super short lap.

So would I recommend going to one of these events? $500 for the half day is definitely worth the price, if only for the wear and tear you put on these cars from beating on them. But I would highly recommend putting together a group 6-8 of like minded/similar skill level peers and signing up together for the best experience. If you've never been on a track before you'll probably love the experience regardless of how fast you run through the track.

Side note, they give 20% off M performance school classes if you sign up for them after at the end of the session. A 2 day driving school course runs for about $4000, 20% off comes to around $800. Subtract the $500 for M track day and you're still saving money.
Attached Images

Last edited by jayee88; 10-21-2022 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I agree with everything. I think for a first time on the track the M track days can't be beat. its very relaxed environment compared to a proper track day. You get to experience and see if you are into it with no consequences what so ever. Also nice to drive different cars just to try.

But yeah I would not be doing these every year. An HPDE will cost you a bit more ($300ish + $300ish insurance) and sure your tires, your brakes but you get a TON of track time and a lot more learning.

I am curious about the M schools but almost feel like that for the money I would rather do skip barber
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 03:05 AM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
M Track Days are good for corporate events or if you have absolutely no experience in high performance driving. For a non-car enthusiast, if you be a great way to get into the hobby. But really, if you want to improve your skills, M School Is the way to go.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0