BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

04-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #155
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
For anyone still following this thread, or someone who stumbles across it later and was curious about my issue:

The dealer looked at the car yesterday and reported that I had a "loose ground" for the MPE. I asked, "could it have anything to do with my last service?" and they replied, "probably". I do believe that they charge the battery before loading new software, and they probably disconnect it from the car first.
I have stock valve on my Dinan free flow res delete exhaust. The flap is actuating that I can tell but there is zero difference in sound at idle or up to 3k rpm. Does that sound normal? At WOT it is quieter. Shouldn’t I hear some difference at idle?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #156
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

Purchased an M2 via Carmax 2 weeks ago and it already had an MPE installed (wiring as well in trunk), but the bluetooth controller is missing. I think the car sounds great with valves closed, but I was wondering if it's too loud for daily driving when all valves are open?

I don't need to rush out and spend $215 for the bluetooth controller if I will only be opening the valves on weekends/spirited drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #157
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz1318 View Post
... I was wondering if it's too loud for daily driving when all valves are open?

I don't need to rush out and spend $215 for the bluetooth controller if I will only be opening the valves on weekends/spirited drives.
Whether it's too loud for daily driving is subjective, but I can assure you once you've driven the car with the valves open you will be overjoyed with the harmonious melodies of your MPE exhaust.
      04-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #158
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Whether it's too loud for daily driving is subjective, but I can assure you once you've driven the car with the valves open you will be overjoyed with the harmonious melodies of your MPE exhaust.
Haha that was my fear/assumption...thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #159
gily
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I just disconnected the harnesses and I have the exhaust flaps open all the time, I had issues that suddenly the flaps would close by itself so I just unplugged the harnesses, I have MPE with Fabspeed sport cat and love the sound, it is not too loud for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #160
RepLA
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2

Does anyone know how to change the battery on this valve control? I know you can just twist it counter clock wise to open it, but I can't see to get the battery out. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #161
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLA View Post
Does anyone know how to change the battery on this valve control? I know you can just twist it counter clock wise to open it, but I can't see to get the battery out. Any tips?
Tweezers or pliers with electrical tape to prevent shorting out.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:05 AM   #162
RepLA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Tweezers or pliers with electrical tape to prevent shorting out.

Awesome thank you, not sure why I didn't think of that. Smh

Just pulled it out without electrical tape. Hope I didn't damage it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #163
RepLA
Rep

So I replaced the battery on the remote, made sure the fuse was tight and made sure the power cable was tight. What else could it be? Could it be a blown out fuse?

Mines opens and within a few minutes it closes ! Gonna contact the dealer tomorrow. Any idea which dealers in Los Angeles will know how to fix this? I know half these bmw dealers are confused when it comes to the technical stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:36 AM   #164
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
So I replaced the battery on the remote, made sure the fuse was tight and made sure the power cable was tight. What else could it be? Could it be a blown out fuse?

Mines opens and within a few minutes it closes ! Gonna contact the dealer tomorrow. Any idea which dealers in Los Angeles will know how to fix this? I know half these bmw dealers are confused when it comes to the technical stuff.
I had the same issue and got BMW to replace the controller module + Bluetooth switch

Check out the RA sticker (white sticker) on your module, if it’s a 15V Exx or Fxx its no good, a known faulty module. it needs to be a 17V F08 or other module.

Contact Kevin at BMW USA - super nice guy - you’ll get squared away in no time

Kevin R. Mulligan
Senior Accessory Development Engineer B2-US-A-23
BMW of North America LLC
200 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
Office: (+1) 201.802.4516
Email: kevin.mulligan@bmwna.com
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #165
RepLA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
I had the same issue and got BMW to replace the controller module + Bluetooth switch

Check out the RA sticker (white sticker) on your module, if it’s a 15V Exx or Fxx its no good, a known faulty module. it needs to be a 17V F08 or other module.

Contact Kevin at BMW USA - super nice guy - you’ll get squared away in no time

Kevin R. Mulligan
Senior Accessory Development Engineer B2-US-A-23
BMW of North America LLC
200 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
Office: (+1) 201.802.4516
Email: kevin.mulligan@bmwna.com
The white sticker should be on top of it or where exactly?
Awesome thank you! He’s in New Jersey, I’m in Los Angeles, that might be an issue lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #166
D22M2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The white sticker should be on top of it or where exactly?
Awesome thank you! He’s in New Jersey, I’m in Los Angeles, that might be an issue lol
Check out the pic on page 4 - can’t miss it

I’m in SF - no issues
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:42 AM   #167
RepLA
Rep

Quote:
Check out the pic on page 4 - can’t miss it

I’m in SF - no issues
How did he go about replacing your unit from New Jersey?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #168
D22M2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How did he go about replacing your unit from New Jersey?
They sent the replacement units to my local BMW dealer - free of charge… All under warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:16 AM   #169
RepLA
Rep

Quote:
They sent the replacement units to my local BMW dealer - free of charge… All under warranty
oh nice! I just emailed him, I hope he can help!
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #170
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

BMW M2 MPE bluetooth issue

Ive had my M2 with MPE for a couple of months right now and one thing thats really bothering me is that it shuts itself of (closes the valves) by itself very frequently. Sometimes I open the valves and it shuts them after 5 seconds, but other times it can stay open for several minutes or even longer (15-20min). I dont know what causes this issue but its really starting to bother me. Ive heard that it can miscommunicate with my phone bluetooth but that doesnt seem right. Anyone with an MPE exhaust with the bluetooth button that has the same issue and has found a way to work around it? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #171
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Had same issue. It closes on its own very frequently in heavy traffic, but keeps open fine when being away from downtown city.

First thought it's the blue tooth interference or the fuse in the trunk, it was not. Turned out to be the faulty BT module. Bought a new module from local dealer (no warranty coverage because I bought MPE from oversea) and problem fixed.
      08-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #172
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Had same issue. It closes on its own very frequently in heavy traffic, but keeps open fine when being away from downtown city.

First thought it's the blue tooth interference or the fuse in the trunk, it was not. Turned out to be the faulty BT module. Bought a new module from local dealer (no warranty coverage because I bought MPE from oversea) and problem fixed.
How much did that cost you?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #173
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Quote:

How much did that cost you?
Equal to about 400-450 USD but keep in mind auto part price in my market hugely inflate like the car.

I was also told bmw normally doesn't sell module separately and there's no part # for it.
      08-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #174
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

Quote:
Equal to about 400-450 USD but keep in mind auto part price in my market hugely inflate like the car.

I was also told bmw normally doesn't sell module separately and there's no part # for it.
Dont sell the module separately? What if you manage to lose it or break it
I bought my car secondhand and it had the mpe from BMW so I dont know if theres any coverage for a replacement module. Its just a very weird issue...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:13 AM   #175
KO7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I've had my M2 with MPE for about 6 months now and I've noticed the same issue with the valves closing automatically in heavier traffic. I'll ask for a possible warranty fix next time I'm in for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #176
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Ive had my M2 with MPE for a couple of months right now and one thing thats really bothering me is that it shuts itself of (closes the valves) by itself very frequently. Sometimes I open the valves and it shuts them after 5 seconds, but other times it can stay open for several minutes or even longer (15-20min). I dont know what causes this issue but its really starting to bother me. Ive heard that it can miscommunicate with my phone bluetooth but that doesnt seem right. Anyone with an MPE exhaust with the bluetooth button that has the same issue and has found a way to work around it? Thanks in advance.
Never happened to me , the only thing happened tho with bluetooth is from the iphone to the media which is again connected with bluetooth. It loses its connection after 2-3 minutes and i have to do the same process from the beginning. Maybe that issue have something to do with yours
Appreciate 1