BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

10-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

Howdy!

So a while back I purchased a Fabspeed sportcat and a Dinan Resonator Delete,

You might remember the write up I did: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1355352

(If you wanna hear more about the sport cat, click the link above. This review is going to focus on the addition of the Remus Exhaust)

I've been happy with that set up for the last 8 months but after getting used to it overtime, I decided I wanted a change in sound. My biggest gripe wasn't the volume at start up or when revving, it was the noise it made (or rather didn't make) on the highway. It just wasn't loud enough in gears 3-6. Not just volume wise but also the tone. It sounded so muffled and I knew since i already had a sport cat that the rest of the exhaust was to blame.

Having looked at a ton of options over the past few months, I kept finding little things I didn't like with many of the popular systems out there.

The MPE is loud but it sounds too hollow with the valves open and it has a cold start vibration issue that requires welding to permanently fix. It also isn't a true catback, it requires cutting. The tips aren't large enough for me and they cost a fortune. It drones at highway speeds. The additional bluetooth valve controller on top of the sport/comfort button seems like a PITA. I wasn't digging any of that. It of course does sound amazing with the valves shut but too many trade offs for me.

Armytrix, Akra and AA all cost more than I want to spend and tip options were limited,

Eisenmann and FI just don't sound the way I want (personal opinion),

Dinan sounds great and is affordable but the tips can't be changed and I REALLY wanted some brushed silver tips.

Why was it so hard for me to find a true catback exhaust system that retained OEM valve control, sounded good, had many tip options and didn’t cost an arm and a leg?

...It was starting to seem bleak.

Finally I came across a YouTube clip that caught my attention:

Remus!

An Austrian company that made exactly what I wanted!

The exhaust sounds amazing and it looks like a quality item.

It comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage factory warranty. This in addition to the fact that Remus exhausts are designed, engineered and manufactured in Austria (and not somewhere in Asia) meant a lot to me.

After all, BMW is a German brand so buying European parts for my car just feels right.

Valve control remains operated within the car just like stock, except there are 2 valves now.

There's also the option to purchase their valve control system for $600

I open and close mine with a CG Precision Variable Sound Controller I bought for $199

You can program it into your homelink buttons and open and close your valves without a remote/phone! Super cool.

Plenty of tip options! #thankyajezus

I definitely had my doubts after hearing videos of the exhaust with a stock cat. It seemed like a lot of money for not that much noise.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great noise…but it sounds a little too quiet for me.

I was unable to find any videos of what the exhaust would sound like with a sport cat (at the time) so I decided to take a leap of faith, got ready to eat ramen for a month and went ahead and purchased it.

The exhaust wasn't cheap (~$3000) but it was jusssssst within my budget. Sorta. (Whoops)

I went with these tips since my car is black:

I think the color contrast and tip size is perfect.

I prefer the straight cut look which is why I went with the 98mm tips (straight cut) instead of the 102s (slant cut).

There is plenty of room for adjustment with the long length of these tips. You can push them as far in or as far out as you want.

These things look like cannons and I love it!

Anyway without further ado, here are some video clips:

This is in MDM mode, then Sport+ (with valves open)

Some backfires near a wall on my way home (windows down, little windy)

And some tunnel videos

Since i already had a sport cat before i got this exhaust, the biggest change wasn't so much the volume the car made but when it made it. It's pretty much the same volume in gears 1+2 but a wayyyyy better sound. And when you hit the throttle in 3-6 it's actually audible now. Love love love it.

There are a few tweaks and adjustments we need to make with the tips but i'm really impressed with the exhaust and happy with my purchase.

I took it out this afternoon for a few hours with my windows down and music off to really listen for any rattles, shakes or drone. I didn't hear any while driving with the exception that If you have the valves forced open in MDM mode and have your radio off then you can definitely hear it drone at around 2500rpm. In Comfort, Sport, Sport+ there isn't any drone, even with the valves open. I don't ever drive for extended periods of time in MDM mode so this isn't an issue for me. I keep the car in Sport+ 99% of the time and it sounds FANTASTIC.

If for some reason you love driving in MDM mode and the drone is a concern for you then just don't buy the sport cat and you won't have that problem. The exhaust by itself is very civilized but with the cat added and the valves open it goes from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. I love that but some of you might not, so fair warning.

Not my clip, but here's a 300cell sport cat paired with a remus exhaust:

And here is one by @bmxcamel with the exact same set up as me (200cell FB sport cat + remus cutback)

Also, I should mention: I find it remarkable how quiet the car sounds at idle when the car is warm. You can't even tell it's there till you touch the throttle.

Cold start is obv very loud because of the sport cat but after a min it gets much more civilized:

Here's a cold start with the valves shut. Still loud at first, but not as bad after a few seconds:

If you're concerned about waking the neighbors you can always have the cold start procedure coded out with a flash/bench tune.

If you are not tuning your car then there's a very easy way to get rid of the loud cold start. After you start the car leave it in neutral and put your foot on the gas. Raise the RPM very slightly...only 100-200rpm and the car will immediately quiet down a ton. Hold for 30 sec and you'll be good to go.

I will finish by saying that if you want the best ratio of dollars to decibels, then this isn't the set up for you. Get an MPE and a catless downpipe if you want that. This is loud but it's not going to blow your ear drums out. It will however make people stop and stare as you rumble on by. It's a great low, deep tone. Very authoritative.

When people pull up next to me at stop lights they don't go "What the hell did you do to that thing?!" but what they do say, (and this is a direct quote) is "Man you got that thing sounding right!". I'll take good noise over loud noise any day of the week.

So...is it worth spending ~$3100 on an exhaust, ~$1200 on a catted dp and ~$200 on a valve controller? That's really up to you. If you're on a budget then probably not, but if you are looking for a more refined, meaner sound (and don't mind spending a few bucks to get it), then this is the set up for you. I personally love it and don't regret buying it at all. Trust me, I'd attempt to return or sell it if I did.

One last thing I want to mention: I had my ASD (active sound) removed. This needs to be emphasized because it is a critical part of my review and experience with the sound this car makes in its current form. If you do not code it out or install a bypass harness it will be much louder in the cabin and you may experience drone so please keep that in mind.

Thanks for reading and I hope my write up helped you get a better idea of what this exhaust is like.

I also owe a BIG thank you to RemusUSA. You’ve made a wonderful product and I’m so happy I’ve finally found a new and improved exhaust set up that I didn’t have to make any compromises on. Cheers!

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 04-25-2022 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 21
AngryBaby344.50
Corinne1171.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
dtmurf477.00
///cbrash226.50
TheHaze152.00
nosbocaj638.00
DMM26.00
maxsaint130.50
Poochie9099.00
specka71.00
      10-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Great write up and videos, agree the Remus really does have a sound of it's own, i have had heaps of comments from mates on how much more aggressive my car sounds since having it installed.

I'm happy with the sound with just the standard DP, plenty loud enough for me but i can see why a DP would be a worthwhile addition.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
Fuman23.50
      10-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
E92M3GT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the same setup and love it !
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I have the sport cat DP installed and Remus waiting for me to find a safe way to get all four wheels elevated at rhe same time. I’m probably going to have to get a long-throw low floor jack.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
coleellicott
Rep
Drives: 435 M Sport Package

Love it!

That's awesome man!
The akra ones i hate how raspy it sounds and how it sounds like an AK, IMHO it doesnt fit the M2's character at all, nor the M3 or M4 for that matter.

I've bookmarked the dinana nd fabspeed exhaust kits, but i actual saw the remus today and then this post confirmed how much i want it

i love the tone, and its a loud car anyways, so i think itll be perfect. Now to get the money
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleellicott View Post

I've bookmarked the dinana nd fabspeed exhaust kits, but i actual saw the remus today and then this post confirmed how much i want it
I wouldn't reccomend buying a Fabspeed exhaust (muffler delete). BAN_M2 had one and ended up switching to Dinan. Lot's of issues with both the quality of the exhaust and the company when it came to getting him a refund.
@coleellicott Like Andrew said, multiple headaches with Fabspeed fitment in two Bypass Exhausts and 6 months of back and forward to get a refund which came only after putting them on blast here and on Rennlist.

They are lucky they had a couple employees willing to resolve the issue because 80% of their management was dodging me.

I have had both systems and the Bypass has drone between 2800-3400 RPMs.

DINAN even with the Resonator Delete has no noticeable drone.

Love how it sounds.
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

Update 10/23:

Been getting a ton of compliments, people pulling up next to me at red lights telling me the car sounds filthy, people taking their phones out. It was quite the head turner already but with the new exhaust it's a neck breaker. Super happy with it. Planning on taking the rest of the video's I promised this Friday and uploading them this weekend.
Very cool. Can I ask why you've gone with a sportcat and catback exhaust rather than just spend the same money to buy a full turbo-back system ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Very cool. Can I ask why you've gone with a sportcat and catback exhaust rather than just spend the same money to buy a full turbo-back system ?
1. I already had the sport cat and liked it a lot. So I only needed a catback.

2. Remus doesn't offer/make a downpipe/sport cat.

3. The brands that do offer a turboback exhaust, i wasn't interested in (for the various reasons listed in this write up).

4. The priority here was finding a sound I liked, not keeping all parts the same brand. I don't mind mixing and matching.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 10-24-2017 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
1. I already had the sport cat and liked it a lot. So I only needed a catback.

2. Remus doesn't offer/make a downpipe/sport cat.

3. The brands that do offer a turboback exhaust, i wasn't interested in (for the various reasons listed in this write up).

4. The priority here was finding a sound I liked, not keeping all parts the same brand. I don't mind mixing and matching.
I thought remus did make a downpipe.

https://www.x-ph.com/remus-f-chassis...tted-downpipe/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR18 View Post
I thought remus did make a downpipe.

https://www.x-ph.com/remus-f-chassis...tted-downpipe/
oh wow, i stand corrected lol i had no idea.

either way i wouldn't have bought it since i already had the fabspeed one.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

You mentioned you can open and close the exhaust flaps manually with bimmercode app...is there a big difference from when closed and open?
      11-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
You mentioned you can open and close the exhaust flaps manually with bimmercode app...is there a big difference from when closed and open?
It's not night and day but it's definitely noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome write up!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      01-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

Hi Andrew I have the same set up, Fabspeed downpipe with cat and the Remus exhaust. It was installed 2 weeks ago and I think the sound is as good as a M2 can get however since the install I have noticed a few issues. My car is not tuned and I m far from an expert as my only intention was to make it sound nicer whilst keeping everything else stock.

I noticed at low speeds especially during traffic or at the lights there is some sort of vibration , a bit like tin cans rubbing, it comes and goes but usually very evident when the car is stationary or just rolling

Second is that when going up slight hill at 90-110 kph (50-65 mph) when the car is in high gear IE 6 th or 7 th, the car vibrates and shakes as if it is in the wrong gear. This never happens with the stock exhaust or with the only the downpipe. Is it possible that the car lost torque? Or do I need a tune ?
Btw do you feel that the car is a bit too crazy at start up as it sets off just about every car alarm in the apartment car park

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem2 View Post
Hi Andrew I have the same set up, Fabspeed downpipe with cat and the Remus exhaust. It was installed 2 weeks ago and I think the sound is as good as a M2 can get however since the install I have noticed a few issues. My car is not tuned and I m far from an expert as my only intention was to make it sound nicer whilst keeping everything else stock.
My car is not tuned either. I don't want to lose my warranty for a few extra HP/TQ. Not worth it to me.

Quote:
I noticed at low speeds especially during traffic or at the lights there is some sort of vibration , a bit like tin cans rubbing, it comes and goes but usually very evident when the car is stationary or just rolling
This isn't normal. Either your installer installed the exhaust incorrectly and there is contact happening that needs to be fixed or you are having an unrelated issue with the car such as the soda can noise:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20661575

It's hard to be certain just from your written description. I would bring the car back to the installer and tell them to adjust it. If that doesn't fix it take it to the dealer and tell them about the noises.

Quote:
Second is that when going up slight hill at 90-110 kph (50-65 mph) when the car is in high gear IE 6 th or 7 th, the car vibrates and shakes as if it is in the wrong gear. This never happens with the stock exhaust or with the only the downpipe. Is it possible that the car lost torque? Or do I need a tune ?
I have a 6MT so our gearing is different, but It sounds like you are in too high of a gear going up hill. The easy solution would be just to downshift a gear. The car should gain power after adding the exhaust, It shouldn't be losing any. A tune can give you more power but you'll also be kissing your warranty goodbye so that's really up to you. I've never experienced any vibration or shaking going uphill so i'm not sure what to tell you other than to downshift.

Quote:
Btw do you feel that the car is a bit too crazy at start up as it sets off just about every car alarm in the apartment car park
Yes, the car is very loud at cold start. If you want to quiet it down you can flash/bench tune the car and have the cold start procedure turned off. That will solve the noise issue.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 01-16-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #16
bluem2
Private
Rep

Hi Andrew thanks for the fast reply

I値l get the car checked by the installer and see if they missed something. Also I noticed another forum member mentioning the change of gaskets? Could this be the reason for the vibrations ? The joining area between the Fabspeed downpipe and remus?

Ya I don稚 want to play around and mess with the warranty even though the exhaust may have voided it
So, if I do bring it back to the dealer and ask them to check will it be possible that they just diss we are not going to touch it as you ve modified it and changed the exhaust.

Living in a region where cars cost 2-3 times as much as the US doesn稚 help and parts incur 36% duty as soon as it reaches our shores. So it would be shot to lose the warranty or need to remove the parts I installed. Probably the risks we take by not leaving it alone haha
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #17
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Andrew thanks for the fast reply

Iテδεつづδづつ値l get the car checked by the installer and see if they missed something. Also I noticed another forum member mentioning the change of gaskets? Could this be the reason for the vibrations ? The joining area between the Fabspeed downpipe and remus?

Ya I donテδεつづδづつ稚 want to play around and mess with the warranty even though the exhaust may have voided it
So, if I do bring it back to the dealer and ask them to check will it be possible that they just diss we are not going to touch it as you ve modified it and changed the exhaust.

Living in a region where cars cost 2-3 times as much as the US doesnテδεつづδづつ稚 help and parts incur 36% duty as soon as it reaches our shores. So it would be shot to lose the warranty or need to remove the parts I installed. Probably the risks we take by not leaving it alone haha
Unless they can prove the part you installed caused the fault you're experiencing they can't yank your warranty so don't be afraid to take the car in. As long as you don't tune the ECU you should be safe on mods.
      01-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #18
bluem2
Private
Rep

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely bring it to get checked out when I have the chance. Hope it痴 no issue to continue to drive it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #19
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #20
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

MPE definitely drones a little bit on the highway around 3k rpms. You eventually Start to get used to it after a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #21
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
MPE definitely drones a little bit on the highway around 3k rpms. You eventually Start to get used to it after a while.
I really wanted to keep the car 100% OEM but the fact that the MPE has (what I would consider to be) a few undesirable quirks, ended up pushing me away from it.

I have 0 complains with this set up, other than the sometimes unwanted brutally loud cold starts.

Remus, Fabspeed and CG have all made fantastic products and they work seamlessly together.

The only thing I wish I could add or code in is some kind of light or message to display when the valves are open or shut. Kind of like the display that tells you what driving mode you're currently in. That would be super cool.
      03-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #22
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

Wow, great write up. Definitely helped me a lot as I'm just deciding between Remus and MPE.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50