BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > My new HS M2C - build thread updated

10-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

My new HS M2C - build thread updated

Just got my car and I have some interesting initial impressions that I haven't read elsewhere.
  • The Steering - significantly improved over my '17. This is not in respect to turn in and response. The electronic steering feel seems significantly improved. In my 2017 the electronic steering was horrible, very poor return to center feel and downright notchy on the highway. I even wonder if there was actually something wrong with it. The new steering has a much more analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel. Really a huge difference. I have heard very few remarks about it. Furthermore, I think the steering wheel is actually THINNER. Someone measure their OG car. I'd love to compare, but I think the circumference of the rim is smaller. Actually an improvement to me, because I think BMW went to far in respect to making their rims too fat.
  • The suspension - Some have speculated about a slightly smoother ride due to the increased weight. I doubt that's the case, but I agree that the ride is different. I would speculate that the shock valving has been changed ever so slightly. I would even venture to say that if the part number is unchanged, it doesn't mean they changed the dampers and sell them under the same part number. The increased weight argument doesn't make sense because you add more weight than the difference simply by adding a passenger.
  • Doors - They close differently. Seem to seat better than the prior car. Perhaps it was just my prior car.
  • Trunk - They changed the trunk release. Perhaps this was just an LCI change. The electronic release was changed and it works more smoothly.
  • Exhaust valving - In similar fashion to the OG car, does everyone else notice that the exhaust note is different from Sport Plus to Sport? I thought the valving was on or off, but the difference between these two is very significant. Initially finding that Sport Plus throttle response is too twitchy, but that's only an initial reaction. The exhaust note is so much better, I'm keeping it in Sport Plus. I don't notice any exhaust difference in MDM however, unlike in the OG car. Other comments on the exhaust sounds?

Comparison pics with my old car:

Last edited by ryem3; 05-29-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 20
Robin_NL8679.50
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4449.00
dmboone254970.50
devo755.00
akkando5860.00
BlkSVT388.50
hellrotm4142.50
Poochie9099.00
Davil6333.50
Mavus2014.50
///M Houbi1653.00
StLuis51457.50
mikeahso411.50
Tag17928.00
      10-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post

Comparison pics with my old car:

Is your 2017 frozen MG? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but somehow the color looks frozen? If so, wrap? It looks absolutely awesome, by the way!

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
[QUOTE=ryem3;23810104]Just got my car and I have some interesting initial impressions that I haven't read elsewhere.
  • The Steering - significantly improved over my '17. This is not in respect to turn in and response. The electronic steering feel seems significantly improved. In my 2017 the electronic steering was horrible, very poor return to center feel and downright notchy on the highway. I even wonder if there was actually something wrong with it. The new steering has a much more analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel. Really a huge difference. I have heard very few remarks about it. Furthermore, I think the steering wheel is actually THINNER. Someone measure their OG car. I'd love to compare, but I think the circumference of the rim is smaller. Actually an improvement to me, because I think BMW went to far in respect to making their rims too fat.
  • The suspension - Some have speculated about a slightly smoother ride due to the increased weight. I doubt that's the case, but I agree that the ride is different. I would speculate that the shock valving has been changed ever so slightly. I would even venture to say that if the part number is unchanged, it doesn't mean they changed the dampers and sell them under the same part number. The increased weight argument doesn't make sense because you add more weight than the difference simply by adding a passenger.
  • Doors - They close differently. Seem to seat better than the prior car. Perhaps it was just my prior car.
  • Trunk - They changed the trunk release. Perhaps this was just an LCI change. The electronic release was changed and it works more smoothly.
  • Exhaust valving - In similar fashion to the OG car, does everyone else notice that the exhaust note is different from Sport Plus to Sport? I thought the valving was on or off, but the difference between these two is very significant. Initially finding that Sport Plus throttle response is too twitchy, but that's only an initial reaction. The exhaust note is so much better, I'm keeping it in Sport Plus. I don't notice any exhaust difference in MDM however, unlike in the OG car. Other comments on the exhaust sounds?

It's not just you....

Your comments about the steering are exactly what I thought. I swore the M2C steering wheel was a tad thinner, which I am also fine with. I also agree with your assessment of the steering - "analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel."
I still think the car rides slightly smoother than my '17. I believe the weight being over the wheels is making the diff. Maybe I'm off my rocker. The trunk release did change, maybe with LCI. It's much better.

I do notice a difference between Sport and Sport+ sound, maybe it's just the engine mapping. I'm not sure.

Congrats!!
///M Houbi1653.00
      10-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Congrats !!

I would tend to believe the better ride is due to minor adjustments to shock valving and/or dampening as opposed to the increased weight over the wheels.

There is a difference in exhaust sound between Sport and Sport Plus. I much prefer the most aggressive throttle response with MDM not engaged.

Last edited by devo; 10-05-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Congratulations on the car! How do you like the HS paint compared to MG?

I also have a 17. I keep wrestling with to buy or not to buy M2C. The longer I hold the more depreciation the 17 has, but toward the end of the M2C life there will probably be some deals and maybe some new paint colors or other improvements. New M2C also means new PPF/tint and probably 763m wheels and California has no trade in tax break so I would get crushed on the money end.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

The M-Sport wheel in my 340i was thicker than the wheel in my M2C. Noticed it immediately when I got the car. I always thought the wheel was a bit too thick in the 340, and I've been happy with this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

What if the steering feel improvement is from the thinner rim and less foam? Probably not but would be funny if true.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

The twitchy feeling in sport plus throttle response smoothed out as I put miles on the car. It didn't take long. Maybe 150 miles in? But it was a distinct difference. I noticed it immediately.
      10-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Is your 2017 frozen MG? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but somehow the color looks frozen? If so, wrap? It looks absolutely awesome, by the way!

Indeed "frozen", Xpel Stealth wrap. The look is great and it makes the finish super low maintenance.

[QUOTE=ChrisK;23810526]
Quote:
Just got my car and I have some interesting initial impressions that I haven't read elsewhere.

It's not just you....

Your comments about the steering are exactly what I thought. I swore the M2C steering wheel was a tad thinner, which I am also fine with. I also agree with your assessment of the steering - "analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel."
I still think the car rides slightly smoother than my '17. I believe the weight being over the wheels is making the diff. Maybe I'm off my rocker. The trunk release did change, maybe with LCI. It's much better.

I do notice a difference between Sport and Sport+ sound, maybe it's just the engine mapping. I'm not sure.

Congrats!!
I'd be interested to hear what the OG circumference is. I thought BMW really went too fat with the wheel before.
Interesting that the electronic steering IS improved. Didn't read that in any reviews I've seen. Only comments on improved turn in, believed to be caused by the strut brace. I haven't been on the track to really notice.

Interesting that someone else finds the ride smoother. I have a pretty fine sense about this. Again, the weight difference would be more than made up by one passenger. The whole car seems more grounded and less bouncy than the prior car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Congrats !!

I would tend to believe the better ride is due to minor adjustments to shock valving and/or dampening as opposed to the increased weight over the wheels.

There is a difference in exhaust sound between Sport and Sport Plus. I much prefer the most aggressive throttle response with MDM not engaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The M-Sport wheel in my 340i was thicker than the wheel in my M2C. Noticed it immediately when I got the car. I always thought the wheel was a bit too thick in the 340, and I've been happy with this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
What if the steering feel improvement is from the thinner rim and less foam? Probably not but would be funny if true.
Nah, definitely not. The wheel goes naturally to center much more than before. They've sorted it out much better. The wheel thickness is pretty ideal now, in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
The twitchy feeling in sport plus throttle response smoothed out as I put miles on the car. It didn't take long. Maybe 150 miles in? But it was a distinct difference. I noticed it immediately.
Interesting, can't wait! The sport plus exhaust sound is so much better than sport, I can't resist, but it's tricky to drive smoothly. Crossing my fingers on the break in!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:

The Steering - significantly improved over my '17. This is not in respect to turn in and response. The electronic steering feel seems significantly improved. In my 2017 the electronic steering was horrible, very poor return to center feel and downright notchy on the highway. I even wonder if there was actually something wrong with it. The new steering has a much more analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel. Really a huge difference. I have heard very few remarks about it.
Few remarks about steering? I posted my in-depth review about the EPS last weekend after spending the afternoon on a 1/2 mile wet skidpad. I also mentioned in that post that after over 1000 miles of highway driving, the EPS is fantastic on the interstate. All around BMW has finally gotten it right. We've had the M2C for nine days and now have over 1600 miles on it.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
We've had the M2C for nine days and now have over 1600 miles on it.
Wow. I've had mine for a month and I'm only just now approaching 900 miles. My plans for late summer drives were ruined by too much work and picking up one of the worst cold/sinus infection combinations I've ever been hit with. I was basically out of commission for doing anything fun and barely able to get through the work day for two and a half weeks. And now it's rainy. Sigh.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      10-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
We've had the M2C for nine days and now have over 1600 miles on it.
Wow. I've had mine for a month and I'm only just now approaching 900 miles. My plans for late summer drives were ruined by too much work and picking up one of the worst cold/sinus infection combinations I've ever been hit with. I was basically out of commission for doing anything fun and barely able to get through the work day for two and a half weeks. And now it's rainy. Sigh.
It was "easy" to put up miles during our ED trip. Hehe

At first I was like mannn, I have 1500 miles already when I dropped it off, but then I remembered that it will take 1-2 months to ship, so it'll even out. (Plus, it'll be locked up shortly after arrival anyway. Mine's gonna hibernate during the winter)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Few remarks about steering? I posted my in-depth review about the EPS last weekend after spending the afternoon on a 1/2 mile wet skidpad. I also mentioned in that post that after over 1000 miles of highway driving, the EPS is fantastic on the interstate. All around BMW has finally gotten it right. We've had the M2C for nine days and now have over 1600 miles on it.
Lost a bit in your comments of accuracy, but indeed you site the same features I noted. So much better on center feel. Let's see, if I consider your remarks and mine, I'd still consider that "few remarks" I've watched several video reviews and didn't hear any comments about the steering feel, rather only about the turn in and accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #15
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Any plans to do stealth wrap on HS?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Any plans to do stealth wrap on HS?
I have been really, really thinking about it. I had four unsolicited complements in the color. Almost as many as I got when I wrapped my prior car! The color is growing on me personally. At the moment I'm thinking to gloss xpel the front clip only. If I feel rich, I'll go matte or even contemplate a color change!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

I just love the M Performance CF diffusor. It really sets off the back of the car. And it looks much better on the C than the OG since the black tips are inset farther than the M4 performance tips were. You can hardly see the muffler when you take the pic from the right angle...

Appreciate 6
chris7197273.00
devo755.00
Robin_NL8679.50
Tag17928.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      10-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

More impressions:
The Suspension: I initially thought the damping was perhaps less. Now I'm thinking it could be something different. How about increased spring rates? I recall how many found the Dinan sprung OG cars to be interestingly more comfortable. I find many BMW's are under sprung and over damped. Well what happens when you keep the damping the same and increase the spring rates? If you do it just right, the right is slightly more taught, but is actually more controlled, less bouncy and simply a better ride. That's what I'm feeling. I wouldn't be surprised if the spring rates were changed slightly, but I don't recall reading about that change. Anyway, my perception is an improved ride over the OG car.

Exhaust: It seems the EU cars are too quiet. Well, the US is car is not. In S+ the cracks on decel are LOUD. Yes, offend the neighbors loud. Yet, in efficiency mode the car is quiet as if it is a Tesla. Yep, ridiculously quiet. Jekyll and Hyde at the press of the M button though. I like it that way. Acceleration noise is not great, but not bad. Revving next to an M4 Comp, the cars sounded VERY similar - no surprise. But I would also say that the M4 Comp really improved the S55 exhaust note and it is really not bad. Also, before the car warms up, the exhaust in S+ really sounds like shit. Raspy and tinny. The burbles and cracks after warm up are deep and loud though - I would find it hard to believe anyone would be disappointed.

Seats: The seats are straight out of the M4. I thought they were LIKE the M4, but they are straight out of that car. They are nice, but not overwhelming. No more adjustable thigh support. I have the side wings fully in and they are not that snug. (5'11", 170lbs) Integrated headrests are a little too far back and not adjustable (of course). Otherwise, I would agree they are comfy, but I don't find them a big improvement over the OG seats. Why didn't they take the Comp package seats with the slots? At least they look cool. And the release levers to move the seats forward are stupid levers that move in the wrong direction. The OG seat release is perfectly designed by comparison.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      10-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

Exhaust valving - In similar fashion to the OG car, does everyone else notice that the exhaust note is different from Sport Plus to Sport?
Yes. Sport Plus is "HELLO WORLD LOOK AT ME I'M HERE. AND I'M IN MY SPORTS CAR." at volume setting 11. "DID YOU HEAR ME?".
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Yes. Sport Plus is "HELLO WORLD LOOK AT ME I'M HERE. AND I'M IN MY SPORTS CAR." at volume setting 11. "DID YOU HEAR ME?".
+1

I've also used Bimmerlink to keep the exhaust flaps open all the time, which just makes it crazy loud.

This morning, there was this construction worker on our street rockin' a ZZ Top look. He was standing pretty close to my car surveying the sidewalk or something. My wife was also nearby (gardening) and, apparently, when I started up the M2C, he kind of jumped a little, and then turned to my wife, gave her the thumbs up, and said, "Wow. That sounds awesome."

That's the nice story. The bad story is, the M2C is so loud in Sport+ (especially with flaps open) that one morning when I started up the car to play around with Bimmerlink and Bimmercode, my wife came running out and started scolding me, "Are you out of your mind? Do you know how early it is? Turn that car off right now! You're going to wake all the neighbors!" (Granted I was revving it to 4000 RPM to try out something or other.)

So, yeah, kind of loud. The car, I mean. My wife too.
Appreciate 5
bri10425755.50
Cavpilot2k1022.00
ChrisM41525.00
Kattanah136.00
      10-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #21
Bimm3rM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Those who are saying the M2 competition is so loud,
1. They never drove a sport car and or an M car with the MPE
2. They are lying to themselves
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #22
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm3rM4 View Post
Those who are saying the M2 competition is so loud,
1. They never drove a sport car and or an M car with the MPE
2. They are lying to themselves
Oh, yeah, yeah. There was some dude in an M2 with an after market exhaust who drove through our neighborhood and really gunned it. THAT was loud enough to wake the dead. Loud enough to be like a Harley.

Loud enough to get pulled over by the cop sitting on the corner too.

I don't need my exhaust that loud. Prefer not to be the dude who a) all the neighbors hate cause car is waking their kids, and b) all the cops love cause car (and tickets) is paying for all their donuts.
Appreciate 0