BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > [VIDEO] First Slip-on Exhaust Modification!

09-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
[VIDEO] First Slip-on Exhaust Modification!

Check this out! Our friend Phil has shared this on Instagram just now. What are your thoughts on the sound track?

I am unable to embed the video properly so please click on the link. Phil shared as well:

The first Lightweight Exhaust for the M2 Competition. And yes, we kept the OPF. We tried to run the car without it, but it was way too loud. So what you hear in this video is just another titanium muffler. Stock OPF. Stock Downpipe. The car sounds better, looks better and lost a lot of fat. About 20kg.

My opinion about the exhaust mod? Job well done Phil, this is how the M2 Competition with M Performance exhaust would have sounded if we would have heard that display vehicle. Good news for the rest of the world outside the EU, the M Performance exhaust which is only a titanium backbox will sound like this and even better because you don't have the OPFs! The amazing part is the weight saving of 20 KG!!!

I really like that this has become a possible option for a better exhaust note and that it does not sound too bad if you listen to the tone of the exhaust note. Of course, this all depends on the exhaust manufacturers, their set ups, etc, but as a start this is already a much better solution than I had hoped for. If the German TüV would not have intervened, than this would have been the soundtrack of the M Performance exhaust in Europe which is now delayed until god knows when... or shall we say cancelled.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-26-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
m20e30871144.00
ChrisK4449.00
      09-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Check this out! Our friend Phil has shared this on Instagram just now. What are your thoughts on the sound track?

I am unable to embed the video properly so please click on the link. Phil shared as well:

The first Lightweight Exhaust for the M2 Competition. And yes, we kept the OPF. We tried to run the car without it, but it was way too loud. So what you hear in this video is just another titanium muffler. Stock OPF. Stock Downpipe. The car sounds better, looks better and lost a lot of fat. About 20kg.

My opinion about the exhaust mod? Job well done Phil, this is how the M2 Competition with M Performance exhaust would have sounded if we would have heard that display vehicle. Good news for the rest of the world outside the EU, the M Performance exhaust which is only a titanium backbox will sound like this and even better because you don't have the OPFs! The amazing part is the weight saving of 20 KG!!!

I really like that this has become a possible option for a better exhaust note and that it does not sound too bad if you listen to the tone of the exhaust note. Of course, this all depends on the exhaust manufacturers, their set ups, etc, but as a start this is already a much better solution than I had hoped for. If the German TüV would not have intervened, than this would have been the soundtrack of the M Performance exhaust in Europe which is now delayed until god knows when... or shall we say cancelled.

MR
The weight loss is awesome but I'm not liking the sound on this one at all. For that quality of sound you might as well go straight pipe and lose even more weight!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
The weight loss is awesome but I'm not liking the sound on this one at all.
I'm not a fan either. Maybe it's my crappy computer speakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Very cool, I am super anxious to see/hear MPE for the US spec cars...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
bwhouse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I'm not a fan either. Maybe it's my crappy computer speakers.
Sounds like an S55 to me.

I think the S55 is an acquired taste, most people seem to dislike the soundtrack, personally I am one of the few that quite like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
phil_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Thank you for sharing Marc!
Since this is a prototype Lightweight will work on it to get a deeper more n55ish sound with added resonators. This plus the upcoming HJS Downpipes and Everything will be Fine!

I will do a Video of the car with closed valves.
For me it sounds better this way.

We just wanted to find out and show what is possible and what is needed to make the car sound good and loud.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I had a long talk with phil_m2. We discussed all the points and let me share what we talked about. There is a lot of good news in there. Phil's M2C (www.instagram.com/phil_m2) is a EU car and he went to his local exhaust supplier who is named Lightweight Performance. You will find more about them via the link here: https://www.instagram.com/lightweight_performance_/

The initial test they did was using the mid pipe for a M4 and see if it fitted. Unfortunately, the mid pipe for the M4 is 7 cm too long, so it needs to be made smaller to fit. They also tested a normal Akrapovic M4 exhaust and it would properly if it would be 7 cm shorter. This is just because the car is shorter than a M4.

After a lot of testing and fitting they made it possible to fit their Lightweight Performance exhaust on the car which made sure there were no OPFs installed and instead resonators like on a normal M4. The outcome was an extremely loud exhaust. They drove 400 km with it and there was NO CEL warning on the dashboard!

The reason for this seems to be quite straight forward. The OPF works as filter that stores the particles. Non-burned fuel that is pushed into the exhaust line on release of the throttle, burns as soon as you go back on the throttle and burns the particles in the filter. This way the filter is cleaned so to speak. (Be aware this is what Phil and I got told, I have not verified this)

The filters are non-controlled! There is not a pair of sensors over the OPFs so you can remove them with ease. There does not seem to be a CEL code coming up and it looks like you can just replace the full cat-back exhaust and deal with not having them. The only main thing is the sound! It was really loud!

Both Phil and I believe like anyone here that the OPFs are the difference between the sound level in EU and the rest of the world. Therefore removing the OPFs would get you the sound level outside the EU. The big thing Phil found out at his exhaust expert is what happens when you swap the rear muffler, backbox or final damper. All different names for the same thing.

It seems that the final damper is also the key to the sound level and especially weight. I am not amazed because we know that this is the case when it comes the safety cars at MotoGP. They have catless down pipes and empty final dampers. The weight is an interesting one as well since Phil believes that the weight saving is up to 20 kg, which is a lot. The stock exhaust is really heavy, according to him.

The current set up Phil is driving is the full cat back system including OPFs until just after the center muffler. After that he fitted the prototype Lightweight Performance axel back or slip-on kit on both pipes and that is what you hear in the video above. They will add more resonators to tune the sound track over the coming months. Final product will not be available until January.

Additional info I can share is about the fact that a HJS down pipe is on its way and that early next year seems to be the time there will be loads of options available. For now you could all look into slip-on kits, because those seems to be an immediate fit and the sound is like the video above!

Only thing to be aware about the cable to the valves are too short! Since the standard rear muffler is sooo big and the aftermarket one so small, the cables coming from within the bodywork are too short to reach the connectors on the valves. Be aware of that when you swap the rear muffler for a new slip-on kit.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-26-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Wow. That sounds terrible.
      09-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
luxo
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB 18' M2

Reminds me of how my (and every) E46 M3 sounded with just an aftermarket section 3 (muffler) and stock mid pipes and headers... raspy as hell and not great,... until getting catless headers. I think the S55 is an engine that needs just the right setup/combination of down/mid pipes, muffler, etc. to sound good. Just changing the muffler doesn't do much but make it louder and raspier. Also this car still has the OPF so wondering how much that is effecting the tone...

Last edited by luxo; 09-26-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
phil_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxo View Post
Reminds me of how my (and every) E46 M3 sounded with just an aftermarket section 3 (muffler) and stock mid pipes and headers... raspy as hell and not great,... until getting catless headers. I think the S55 is an engine that needs just the right setup/combination of down/mid pipes, muffler, etc. to sound good. Just changing the muffler doesn't do much but make it louder and raspier. Also this car still has the OPF so wondering how much that is effecting the tone...
Imo the car sounds now pretty similar to the M4 gts.
Me personally I like it raspier. That‘s typically for titanium.
And for all who don‘t like it this raspy, wanting it sound deeper, just go for the stainless steel version and keep the OPF.
But it will still be the S55. You can‘t make it sound that bassy.
It is nothing new, it is the same like on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #11
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
For now you could all look into slip-on kits, because those seems to be an immediate fit and the sound is like the video above!
MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_m2 View Post
Imo the car sounds now pretty similar to the M4 gts.
Me personally I like it raspier. That‘s typically for titanium.
And for all who don‘t like it this raspy, wanting it sound deeper, just go for the stainless steel version and keep the OPF.
But it will still be the S55. You can‘t make it sound that bassy.
It is nothing new, it is the same like on the M4.
Am I reading this correct? M3/M4 rear slip-on exhausts will fit the M2 Competition?

I made this observation in another thread. The aftermarket M3/M4 rear slip-ons look to be a direct fit. The 4 hanger locations are identical and the angle of the piping leading to the rear resonator look identical. Two exhaust hangers on pipes and two on the muffler can.

See pics below of M3/M4 Eisenmann rear slip-on vs the M2 Comp exhaust.

Slip-on sound clip, much deeper.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #12
phil_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep

It depends how big the muffler is...
Stock M4 Muffler does not fit.
An Akra does.

The Eisenmann looks pretty big, so someone has to try.. But I guess it will not fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #13
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
An Akra does.

The Eisenmann looks pretty big, so someone has to try.. But I guess it will not fit.
Interesting, it is more about the size of the muffler can. The hangers all line up? Also where the tips exit?

Eisemann rear muffler actually looks fairly compact. Especially compared to the big M4 muffler.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #14
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
An Akra does.

Interesting, it is more about the size of the muffler can. The hangers all line up? Also where the tips exit?

Eisemann rear muffler actually looks fairly compact. Especially compared to the big M4 muffler.

It seems so, but it is all about trying... Give it go and try it!

I think every manufacturer right now you contact will give you the option to try if you ask. Of course, only if they aren't working on an exhaust already but most of them need a car to do the development right now.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Anyone have any sense of what the purchase price might be?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
An Akra does.

Phil

Someone needs to try Eisenman m4 GT4 system on an M2.

Sounds healthier for s55 !

Or stay OEM and make m4 GT4 rear section fit on an m2c...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1313
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I'd be interested to know what the standard rear silencer sounds like minus the OPF because that is an easy / cheap mod to do..

As OPF takes the place of secondary Cats then it should be louder than even non EU cars... Whether it sounds "better" is the question...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
luxo
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB 18' M2

Another clip from phil_m2 instagram. Personally, I think it sounds pretty good here:

https://instagram.com/p/BoYU6UEltiK/
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Another clip from phil_m2 instagram. Personally, I think it sounds pretty good here:

It sure does.

I saw one of his responses that Lightweight will have two versions. He has the titanium, which sound more high pitch. There also is a stainless steel version with a deeper tone.

Last edited by hellrotm; 10-01-2018 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

I like it too

phil_m2, is this still same exhaust that you used in your other videos or another prototype?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #21
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Looks like a nice piece.

Quote:
phil_m2:

Just a litte Carbon and Titanium Love.
Like I heard some of you guys would like to have a deeper sounding exhaust for their M2 Competition.
No Problem. Just wait for the @lightweight_performance_ stainless steel solution. This should do the job for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #22
phil_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I'd be interested to know what the standard rear silencer sounds like minus the OPF because that is an easy / cheap mod to do..

As OPF takes the place of secondary Cats then it should be louder than even non EU cars... Whether it sounds "better" is the question...
It will not sound better. But louder and gove you a drone.
Since the engine injects fuel while you are not on the gas to burn everything in the OPF... It will crackle like shht if the OPF is missing.
Not a good sound. Sounds broken and damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
It sure does.

I saw one of his responses that Lightweight will have two versions. He has the titanium, which sound more high pitch. There also is a stainless steel version with a deeper tone.
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I like it too

phil_m2, is this still same exhaust that you used in your other videos or another prototype?
It is still the same
Appreciate 0