BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M performance exhaust install before car pick up vs after

08-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I would buy it afterwards from someplace like BMW Morristown online (25-30% off MSRP). It's very easy to install DIY. Store the factory exhaust. When it's time to sell the car, swap back on the factory exhaust and sell the MPE -- easy to do. I recently sold the Dinan exhaust off my E39 M5 before putting the car up for auction and received 80% of what I paid for it almost 10 years earlier. Stock, pristine cans went back on the car for sale.
This method makes perfect sense. To make it cost effective though I think you need to be able to install and uninstall it yourself thereby saving the labor costs. Also, some people have no place to store a big exhaust muffler until resale of their car.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 08-29-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Been there done that so please don't spread false information! Port installed items are not marked up. Every M performance part has a list price (MSRP). It's the same price when you pay at your dealer's parts department or when you order the part with the car as port install. Whether your dealer's parts department or some online shop discount parts or not is totally up to them. I ordered my M4 with bunch of M performance parts and paid invoice price for them which meant 20% off of every single item including MPE. For example, paid $4800 for the MPE with CF tip while the price on my window sticker was $6K. Not to mention the free labor included in this price. I shared my order sheet with pricing several times on this forum so you can easily find it if you want.

I'm doing the same thing with the M2 Comp. I'm paying MSRP for the car but the dealer is discounting any M performance part that I'm interested in. Unfortunately the parts that I'm interested in are not available yet.
Just to make people aware, 20% off is good, but not great as pointed out below. Also, this is no deal. You paid $4800 for the exhaust and threw it away at the end. It adds nothing to resale and taking it off for $300 would have net you over $2000. I guess that was $2000 you didn't need or thought would be too inconvenient. I agree that getting things installed at port is the easiest solution and works if you don't have storage space, but it is far from the most economical way to mod a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I would buy it afterwards from someplace like BMW Morristown online (25-30% off MSRP). It's very easy to install DIY. Store the factory exhaust. When it's time to sell the car, swap back on the factory exhaust and sell the MPE -- easy to do. I recently sold the Dinan exhaust off my E39 M5 before putting the car up for auction and received 80% of what I paid for it almost 10 years earlier. Stock, pristine cans went back on the car for sale.
Exactly. And none of the aftermarket parts will add to your resale value. In fact, they are more likely to REDUCE the resale value or the likelihood someone will buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Just to make people aware, 20% off is good, but not great as pointed out below. Also, this is no deal. You paid $4800 for the exhaust and threw it away at the end. It adds nothing to resale and taking it off for $300 would have net you over $2000. I guess that was $2000 you didn't need or thought would be too inconvenient. I agree that getting things installed at port is the easiest solution and works if you don't have storage space, but it is far from the most economical way to mod a car.
I was leasing so it went with the car for a reason. If you are leasing, you can residualize the cost of the part into your lease payment so another benefit of port install... However, as I said, I don't agree with your statement that you cannot factor in the MPE in your car's resale value. A friend of mine sold his 2016 Non-ZCP M4 with MPE couple months ago. He was initially planning to sell the MPE separately but he was able to get $2K more if he were to sell the car with it (funny, it's exactly the amount you mentioned). So he sold the car with MPE on it. That being said, 20% off on port installed items is pretty great considering the free labor and additional 2 year warranty. Check out F80 forum to see how many people are crying over their cracked MPE either because their 2 year warranty expired or they bought it used. Oh btw, BMW just came out with a revision to solve the cracking with an additional bracket for M3/M4 MPE and all the port installed MPEs will be replaced for free since their warranty hasn't expired yet. Rest of the folks are screwed after spending several thousands of dollars... For cheaper parts, I much prefer to install them myself after getting a 25-30% discounts on them like you said but I just prefer the additional warranty and piece of mind on items that are quite pricey such as MPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Exactly. And none of the aftermarket parts will add to your resale value. In fact, they are more likely to REDUCE the resale value or the likelihood someone will buy the car.
Port installed M performance parts are not considered aftermarket as they are listed on your official window sticker.
Appreciate 1
SD0841.00
      08-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

thanks for the feedback everyone.
Appreciate 0