BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW M Performance Exhaust NOT legal anymore in Germany!

06-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #67
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
What about other cars like Porsche that have an exhaust flap button? Those are still legal because they're on "stock" exhaust?
Go read the OP's Post !
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #68
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Where I live in Georgia only 13 out of 159 counties even have emissions testing.... Pretty much Metro Atlanta area only.
when I was in Indiana I would say.. " what's emissions testing "? ..

In Texas we have testing in the counties in and around the major cities.. DFW, Houston (which NEEDS it the most) and Austin/San Antonio.
Its a sad day for enthusiasts...one more nail in the coffin for petrol powered cars.

I live in Bexar County (San Antonio) - we don't have emissions testing *yet*, but the news seems to harp on about San Antonio continually "failing smog tests", so I'm sure plans of vehicle emissions testing for SATX is right around the corner.

Our neighboring county to the northeast (Guadeloupe County) doesn't have emissions tests, but I do know for certain Austin does. I bought my 10AE Miata from there, and it's maintenance records show emissions testing w/each annual registration.
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #69
Dermator
Rep
Drives: m2c

Talked to my dealer today. He had received a detailed document from BMW explaining that the m-performance exhaust would not be available for cars with petrol engine and OPF. The document stated that the proper function of the OPF, could no longer be guaranteed if such an exhaust system were installed. I asked specifically regarding sound level legislation, but the document did not mention this.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #70
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
In this age of fake news it's not surprising that a unsubstantiated rumour makes the front page of Bimmerpost...

No source is quoted or presented. Just something that was "discussed today"...

While it's true that noise is an area that both US and EU tightens regulations on, this rumour would mean that no aftermarket exhaust would be legal unless it's exactly as loud as the stock system. That means companies like Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Remus etc would go out of business. I'm pretty sure this would have been discussed and mentioned in the media and forums for a long time if true.

REGULATION (EU) No 540/2014 governs noise level and aftermarket exhaust systems:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...4R0540&from=EN

Article 11 of this regulation is the "Revision clause" and states:

So the EU revision isn't supposed to be published until 1 July 2021. Based on that study a legislative proposal shall be made, which would take a few years to pass and be implemented.

Article 15 of the regulation is "Entry into force":

This regulation is still in force and hasn't been repealed yet. It's also less than 2 years since it came into force.

Also ECE Reg 59 which governs aftermarket exhaust systems, and is referred to in the EU Regulation is still in force:
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...15/R059r2e.pdf

So, as far as I can tell there is NO new legislation that confirms the story. Furthermore there is NO other sources on the interweb that I know of that coroborates the claim in the OP.

But who knows?
Good info, thanks.

But, there's this... However, the document mentions that the reason for stopping sales of M Performance exhausts for vehicles built after 07/2018 is due to gas particle filters.

06-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #71
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Good. What is the point of having a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #72
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

what happens if you install an exhaust in germany such as akrapovic that does not comply with emissions... what is the exact penalty?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #73
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm pretty sure both stock GT350 and GT350R are louder than 95db under WOT. How does Ford even sell them in CA?
Its selectively enforced. I was an asshole to a cop when I was younger and got an exhaust ticket. Had to go to a state inspection where they measured the DB.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #74
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
In this age of fake news it's not surprising that a unsubstantiated rumour makes the front page of Bimmerpost...

While it's true that noise is an area that both US and EU tightens regulations on, this rumour would mean that no aftermarket exhaust would be legal unless it's exactly as loud as the stock system. That means companies like Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Remus etc would go out of business. I'm pretty sure this would have been discussed and mentioned in the media and forums for a long time if true.

REGULATION (EU) No 540/2014 governs noise level and aftermarket exhaust systems:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...4R0540&from=EN

So the EU revision isn't supposed to be published until 1 July 2021. Based on that study a legislative proposal shall be made, which would take a few years to pass and be implemented.

This regulation is still in force and hasn't been repealed yet. It's also less than 2 years since it came into force.

Also ECE Reg 59 which governs aftermarket exhaust systems, and is referred to in the EU Regulation is still in force:

So, as far as I can tell there is NO new legislation that confirms the story. Furthermore there is NO other sources on the interweb that I know of that coroborates the claim in the OP.

But who knows?
Good info, thanks.

But, there's this... However, the document mentions that the reason for stopping sales of M Performance exhausts for vehicles built after 07/2018 is due to gas particle filters.

[IMG]https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...43&oe=5BB246C9[/IMG]
This is likely the real reason...not the unsubstantiated nonsense in the original post.
      06-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #75
TheGreatJ
Finland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Sport LE, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Isn't this Germany-only?
Apparently not. I 've asked from my dealership in Finland that has franchises in most of the Nordic countries + Lithuania, Latvia as well as Germany. Cannot get the exhaust from anywhere in EU according to my experience atm. UK might be the exception.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #76
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
For those of you who did not know yet, the BMW M Performance exhaust sales have been stopped. The exhausts are not legal in Europe and are therefore not being sold anymore in Europe. U.S. and other regions are NOT included.

The exhausts are not legal in Europe since from the coming months onwards you are not allowed to offer a button in the interior that switches to an exhaust mode that is louder than before. Also you are not allowed to make an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust.

New rules in Europe which means that all systems currently on the market and which are coming cannot be sold anymore. This means that the upcoming BMW M2 M Performance exhaust will not be sold in Europe until the system is made legal or complies to rules and regulations. That means that you would buy an exhaust that is not louder and would cost you a lot. So I could see BMW says, we are not going to offer it. Too much hassle, for nothing.

Additionally, Europeans will not and cannot upgrade their exhausts to make it louder if they want to keep driving a car legally. Germany as a country is in the forefront of this now with the though TUV rules, but other countries will follow as well. It is a shame, but the world is moving into a direction of making cars less loud and also more environmentally friendly. If you have any more information on this, then please feel free to share it below, but this is what I discussed today and the news is out in the open.

MR
Another reason I'll never move back to Europe.
      06-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #77
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

So I can still buy MPE in the US?
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #78
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...40&from=EN

But who knows?
Good info, thanks.

What a storm in a teacup.

Judging from early pictures released, the OPF is fitted downstream of the downpipe. Which means the full system type M performance exhausts wouldn't fit OPF fitted cars in any case without removing the OPF. No surprise there.

Also, it would be illegal for BMW to offer an exhaust that circumvented emission control systems like OPF with an accessories product. Therefore only option is to withdraw MPE (incase someone could remove the OPF fitted exhaust and fit a non OPF MPE, thus removing emission equipment).

No doubt BMW haven't, as yet homologated any MPE products for the new OPF cars.....but they will surely come.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #79
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
So I can still buy MPE in the US?
Yes - the headline specifies Europe, so...
Appreciate 3
Tag18118.00
      06-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #80
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Another thing not possible in Europe.... We cannot see or read anything from Caranddriver in Europe.

MR
What's next, you can't even use MEME?

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
ItsGary1457.50
ljzimm103.00
      06-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #81
RainZz
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 320i

Some facts

As a german, directly affected by this, i want to make clear some rather shitty facts ...

this is not an EU regulation, it's a german law which states that after market valve-operated exhausts can not be louder than the oem ones - under any circumstances.

This does not mean you can not make your car louder. You are still allowed to buy a non valve-operated muffler which is barely legal in terms of db.

BMW is stopping to sell the performance exhaust because with it equipped, the car does not qualify for the emission rules anymore and therefore is not road legal in the EU. but these are two different topics.

ASD oder sound modules in general are also illegal by now in germany ...

I'm really gonna need to move out of here...
Appreciate 5
Tag18118.00
Jamesmick131.00
stormlv930.50
      06-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #82
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
It's a sad day when the automotive future is heading toward electric vehicles and a future where enthusiast mods will be the installation of ASD modules w/a track mode option instead of bypass harnesses.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00
      06-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #83
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

I just don't get the activist Merkel gang. They push aggressive painful fiscal policies on the Southern Europeans yet at the same time welcome hordes from the Middle East and Africa and provide welfare benefits. She claims to be pro-Europe, yet this decision could harm the likes of Acrapovic and others.
      06-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #84
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Good info, thanks.

Thanks for the info

I was at a friends and while there it occurred to me that the most likely reason for this was that new cars now must have a particulate filter and that the M-Performance exhaust most likely isn't compatible with this. Your info points to that as the reason as well.

They have even stopped making the F80 M3 due to the need to install a particulate filter and chose only to homologate the M4

Also, the BMW info states that it's only vehicles with SOP (Start Of Production) 07.2018 that is affected by this.

Last edited by Boss330; 06-28-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #85
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
This is why ppl wanted brexit, get those EU ninnies TF outta there!
dude, brexit - happened as the obviously less than knowledgeable wanted to vote out a football team ( In your terms its soccer) out of the Euro cup.

WIth plenty of lies from Barney Rubble AKA Boris Johnson, but despite this stupidity and economical suicide, It was not over an exhaust.

On the other hand Justin Trudeau invested in weed companies raised your taxes (you must earn decent coin do drive an M) and screwed you some more, because as a top earner you will now pay more tax. He made the most cash while you drive down a pothole filled 401 or if you're in Ottawa driving down a man hole filled cracked Carling ave. After which you will need new wheels. You should strongly consider voting for Ford as your next PM.

So aside from my rant, lets put politics aside.

Noise laws are coming in because this is progress and people will eventually have electric cars just like DCT in M cars.

Sucks very much as I wanted a nice sounding exhaust on my Comp.

EU still has great smooth roads and great many turns. Hot women, mostly in Poland. I wish you could experience Europe the way I do and drive through France or Germany or the around the Nurburgring. Not to mention have 5-6 weeks of paid holidays each year.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #86
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR48 View Post
Yeah, the EU.........what a farce ! Next the EU will ban Laser Lights as they may blind ants and crickets crossing the roads.
Fun fact is that it's the US that didn't allow laser, xenon and led headlights... Which is why one of the popular coding options in USA on BMW's is to choose the much brighter and better EU spec version in the software
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #87
Trubester88
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Oh shoot, yeah I found out about this a month ago when the German dealership who had originally quoted me for the exhaust for my new BMW called me a week before pickup and said they cannot purchase the exhaust. I immediately went to IND and they are shipping me the exhaust right now to Italy which will arrive next week. If you own the exhaust, BMW will install it but they cannot buy the exhaust. Oh yeah, and shipping to Italy ain’t cheap but I wanted the exhaust and IND hooked me up by cutting down the size of the freaking box which is the size of a 1999 Z3M.
lab_rat394.50
      06-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #88
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Laguna Seca stealth mode exhausts.

Is this because of noise ?
Appreciate 0