BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition: production, order dates, engine specs & more (pre-launch info)

Closed Thread

09-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #661
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

What... RHD only?

Why would they do that?

I really doubt that's true and if that's really true I will be out of new M cars for good
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 04:17 AM   #662
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

The thing I can't get my head round is, who in their right mind is going to pay £90k for the M4 CS? lol the worlds gone mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
The M4 CS at 100K USD is overpriced for what they offer on the base car. I hope the M2 CS does not get the same treatment.
Appreciate 3
Gatte1193.00
JustChris17423.00
SeanWRT3179.00
      09-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #663
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Sounds about right if it gets the S55, improved aero and tuned suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Artemis, do you know what percentage of price increase the M2 CS will be over the base? 25%?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #664
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
If this is an E46 M3 CSL type upgrade, 50% hike would be appropriate. Do you think it could be such an upgrade ?
Do you think BMW has the ability to make a car as good as the E46 CSL again?

The M4 GTS was a bit of a disappointment.
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      09-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #665
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyyrat View Post
I just looked through the document that Carbuzz mentioned.
Looks like there will be both MT and AT for Europe and the US for left-hand driven cars, but right-hand driven cars will be AT only.
Furthermore there is no mentioning of both a Competition and CS arriving (ZCP would be an option to the "normal" M2, so it's still possible) but a F87 Competition is mentioned. So no addition to the things we know, except right-hand driven cars will be AT only I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
What... RHD only?
Why would they do that?
I really doubt that's true and if that's really true I will be out of new M cars for good
I guess you refer to this excerpt on page 8 of that list (leaked over here at Bimmerpost a half year ago: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358847):

Name:  M2_Codes_Early17.png
Views: 777
Size:  78.0 KB

Let's not jump too quickly into conclusions. The list (date unknown - maybe the version of last Winter) seems to show codes of BMW classes, which doesn't necessarily mean that all referenced cars will ever be commercialized. Could be merely reserving for the sake of classification and/or labeling test mules that never make the final cut.

Look for example at the F82 M4 GTS: we only know of the M-DCT version:
  • 4S01,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S02,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S03,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S91,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
  • 4S92,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
  • 4S93,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
And furthermore about interpretation, see also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
DCT, SMG and manuals use the same type code. Automatic with torque converter get the "auto" type code. The reason why you see both type codes is just the way BMW structures the type codes. They are just reserved as placeholders. It does not mean there will be an auto version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
1. Most models get both MECH and AUT typcodes - this means NOTHING.
2. Every new version of this file adds typcodes, but also deletes typcodes. The fact that you see something in just a single version of the file means NOTHING.
3. In many cases in the past, a model would show up in this file, then prototypes would start driving on the roads, then some of them would even be shipped to Woodcliff Lake for final eval - and then the market would get NOTHING.
IMHO if the 2U71 (EURO-spec LHD M2 CS) gets 6MT, then the same will happen for 2U72 (EURO-spec RHD M2 CS).

2U73 is the USA-spec LHD M2 CS (USA and Canada: pre-LCI M2 sales were >50% 6MT) (see here for some stats).
      09-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #666
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Their marketing focus is on the new M5 right now. Give it a couple of months.
I'm just patient enough to do that lol...luckily i have my 135 to keep me company!
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      09-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #667
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
The thing I can't get my head round is, who in their right mind is going to pay £90k for the M4 CS? lol the worlds gone mad

Quote:
The M4 CS at 100K USD is overpriced for what they offer on the base car. I hope the M2 CS does not get the same treatment.
Seems in the uk hardly anyone ..
      09-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #668
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Agree.... Not sure what BMW is smoking to have that price in mind. Their marketing and sales division are a lot more ambitious than their engineers... that's for sure.

Although I feel the M2 CS won't have the same percentage stretch vs its base model, mainly due to it still being based on a 2 series platform.

Honestly, the price of the regular M2 is universally praised, and is pretty fair. Let's hope BMW doesn't get too cocky with the CS version.

Last edited by csbear; 09-01-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
No Boost4019.00
JustChris17423.00
Gatte1193.00
      09-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #669
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post

Although I feel the M2 CS won't have the same percentage stretch vs its base model, mainly due to it still being based on a 2 series platform.
...a slightly less % stretch....we're talking cunt hairs here. IMO, of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #670
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Agree.... Not sure what BMW is smoking to have that price in mind. Their marketing and sales division are a lot more ambitious than their engineers... that's for sure.

Honestly, the price of the regular M2 is universally praised, and is pretty fair. Let's hope BMW doesn't get too cocky with the CS version.

Yea agreed. The base price of the M2 is a great deal compared to the base M240i. If you add all the options needed to a M240i to equal the standard equipment of the M2, you are at right around the same MSRP. But you still won't get the M2 styling, suspension, brakes, extra cooling etc. Thats why even when you factor in the discount that you can get on the M240i, the M2 is still a better deal in many ways.

Let's say BMW increases the M2 CS price by 30% (low compared to the roughly 48% increase of the M4 CS), that puts it right under $70k before options or mark up. Realistically out of the price range of many people shopping for the "regular" M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #671
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Quote:

Yea agreed. The base price of the M2 is a great deal compared to the base M240i. If you add all the options needed to a M240i to equal the standard equipment of the M2, you are at right around the same MSRP. But you still won't get the M2 styling, suspension, brakes, extra cooling etc. Thats why even when you factor in the discount that you can get on the M240i, the M2 is still a better deal in many ways.

Let's say BMW increases the M2 CS price by 30% (low compared to the roughly 48% increase of the M4 CS), that puts it right under $70k before options or mark up. Realistically out of the price range of many people shopping for the "regular" M2.
Would make it a £60k car in the uk which I think might be correct.

However a level I was not willing to join the party at. Time will tell
      09-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #672
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Seems in the uk hardly anyone ..
I hope BMW gets the message.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #673
Gatte
Major
Rep

64K USD for the following is a fair price:
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Carbon Fiber Roof,
Larger non carbon ceramic brakes,
Improved suspension,
Reduced sound deadening,
No fake exhaust noise streaming into cockpit,
Improved front end,
Rear duck tail (Preferably),
ZCP seats,
Alcantara interior,
Programmable buttons,
Better exhaust than stock S55 (Stock M3/M4),
Lighter wheel option,
Carbon Fiber Hood/Bonnet (add another 1500 USD)

This is basically what is standard on an M3/M4 ZCP without the same power and better interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #674
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Carbon Fiber Roof,
Improved suspension,
Reduced sound deadening,
Improved front end,
ZCP seats,
Alcantara interior,
Programmable buttons,
Lighter wheel option,

This is basically what is standard on an M3/M4 ZCP without the same power and better interior.
Lol if they did a cf hood it would be more like 15k
      09-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #675
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Carbon Fiber Roof,
Improved suspension,
Reduced sound deadening,
Improved front end,
ZCP seats,
Alcantara interior,
Programmable buttons,
Lighter wheel option,

I would accept that deal
      09-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #676
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Lol if they did a cf hood it would be more like 15k
What are you smoking ??

Even the OEM GTS hood is 4K. That's what a replacement costs if you bought ONE from BMW. BMW will not be paying anything close to that price when they procure their parts (I know how much Daimler and Land Rover pays and this should be somewhat similar). I might have been a little too optimistic but around 2K - 2.5K is a realistic price bump if they were to include the GTS styled hood instead of the stock M2 hood and still make a standard profit.

Where did you read that it was 15K ??
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #677
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
What are you smoking ??

Even the OEM GTS hood is 4K. That's what a replacement costs if you bought ONE from BMW. BMW will not be paying anything close to that price when they procure their parts (I know how much Daimler and Land Rover pays and this should be somewhat similar). I might have been a little too optimistic but around 2K - 2.5K is a realistic price bump if they were to include the GTS styled hood instead of the stock M2 hood and still make a standard profit.

Where did you read that it was 15K ??
Would you make a bet that it comes in 64k or under?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #678
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Carbon Fiber Roof,
Improved suspension,
Reduced sound deadening,
Improved front end,
ZCP seats,
Alcantara interior,
Programmable buttons,
Lighter wheel option,
That's an ambitious bucket list for only $64K.

Actually, if you want the full package, feel free to upgrade to an M4 ZCP. But if you do, mark my words, very likely you will yearn for a full-blown M2 CS (thus one with all bells 'n whistles on board). Actually, if I would not have already my base M2, I would order an M2 CS as soon as orders can be made. But, hey, I'm OK with mine - at least it got an armrest.
      09-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #679
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's an ambitious bucket list for only $64K.

Actually, if you want the full package, feel free to upgrade to an M4 ZCP. But if you do, mark my words, very likely you will yearn for a full-blown M2 CS (thus one with all bells 'n whistles on board). Actually, if I would not have already my base M2, I would order an M2 CS as soon as orders can be made. But, hey, I'm OK with mine - at least it got an armrest.
This post is going to be a little long :

The M4 ZCP with the DCT and Executive package is 80K USD. To that, BMW is adding lights that cost 10K, a CF hood that costs 4K, increasing power, improving suspension, putting in the same interior bits as the M4 GTS, lighter wheels, CF lip, CF duck tail, improved exhaust, reduced sound deadening, no active sound etc. and people expect the M4 CS to be around the 100K mark in the US which is 20K USD more than the M4 ZCP. Even so, this car has apparently not been very well received in the UK market.

The M2 without the executive package is 54K USD. It will not be getting 10K OLED lights, mostly won't get the CF hood either. The only significant upgrade here is the de-tuned engine. IND installed a CF roof which costs 1295 USD. The ZCP seats are being mass produced already and adding them should not cost too much more as long as they fit. The M2 CS is expected to have a manual transmission option as well so it would mostly be expected to start lower and have a 2900 USD DCT option. Do you see any other part on the list that would add a significant cost ??

The M2 CS is just a smaller M4 with lesser power, mostly using parts that already exist. It will also have a lesser upmarket feel to it than the M4. Why would it be priced higher than the M4. A lot of people who buy this car will see it that way when they make their decision. Add to this the fact that the new Audi TT RS and RS3 with their new 5 cylinder engines and superior interior are being priced at 65K and 54K respectively. On the other side, the new mid engine Porsche 718 S on better tires is expected to be faster than the M2 CS and even the 981 GT4 around a track and still costs 67K USD. If BMW wants to stay competitive in this segment, they will need to price their car competitively for what it offers.

If they gave this the same E46 M3 CSL treatment with weight savings and added a manual transmission option, most people(me included) would be happy to pay quite a bit more.

Around 65K is what I think this car will be priced at. I do not expect it to have the CF roof or hood but everything else on my list should be doable at that price.

Come on, you've got to agree with this.
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      09-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #680
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Would you make a bet that it comes in 64k or under?
I would make a bet that it comes in around the 65k mark if it gets a manual transmission.

If I lose the bet, I'll have all the money saved by not getting the car to pay you off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #681
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
While I agree with the sentiment, I believe the more realistic scenario around $64K would be...
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Manual transmission (DCT option),
Larger steel brakes with CCBs as an option
Reduced sound deadening,
Improved front end,
Rear duck tail,
Adaptive suspension,
19" 763M wheels
Minimal weight savings
Hoping for different seats but that seems unlikely. Most likely just stitching option
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      09-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #682
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, I believe the more realistic scenario around $64K would be...
S55 Engine with 410 HP,
Manual transmission (DCT option),
Larger steel brakes with CCBs as an option
Reduced sound deadening,
Improved front end,
Rear duck tail,
Adaptive suspension,
19" 763M wheels
Minimal weight savings
Hoping for different seats but that seems unlikely. Most likely just stitching option
The seats should change. They changed from a base M3/M4 to ZCP. The CS moniker is supposed to be a bigger jump in performance. I am alright without the programmable buttons as well. 64K for what your list is not too bad.

Would really want a CF roof though. I think a CF roof with the Hockenhein silver exterior, CF duck tail,CF front lip, some ferric gray or black wheels will look absolutely stunning. Add in a dark brown Leather option (Mostly won't happen) and I already know exactly how I'll order my car.

Don't really care about the executive package or rear view cameras or much else.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread