BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > LIFTED! Delivery Stop on Certain BMW M2, M3, M4, 5 and 6 Series For Rear Differential

07-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #441
JDubz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
just texted David @ STBMW, his response "spoke to the head of M for the Americas today. No resolution. No timeframe"

Because they are German, and I work for a German company, i'm going to assume they have a plan but it cant be shared yet.

Just sent an email to 'Ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com' / President of Bmw North America

that's the problem.
Yep. And yesterday BMW NA missed the window to call me back. Was supposed to be 1-3 business days.

Could have at least called and told me they don't have more info.

Do this was announced what - a week ago? At that point my car had already spent a suspiciously long time at the VDC, which leads me to think this has been brewing for awhile now.

To not even have a plan forward is a little irritating at this point and makes me fear for the worst.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #442
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

a few members have said their cars have been waiting... for awhile... you're right i think this problem stretches farther back than we know.

how long has your car been sitting jdubz?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #443
JDubz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
a few members have said their cars have been waiting... for awhile... you're right i think this problem stretches farther back than we know.

how long has your car been sitting jdubz?
I think since the 11th or something? If I recall correctly, the original date it was supposed to depart the vdc was the 15th?

Sorry - that actually may be a routine thing and don't want to fuel speculation. Just trying to puzzle things out like other folks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #444
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Chiming in from Toronto Canada.

My car arrived at my dealer on July 18th, just after the stop delivery order was given by BMW Canada. Since then, my dealer has received no updates on potential fixes, ETA or any other instructions from head office.

This is getting really frustrating now, since I'd sold my car through the dealer two weeks ago, and now I'm without a vehicle, with no end in sight
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #445
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post

My car arrived at my dealer on July 18th, just after the stop delivery order was given by BMW Canada. Since then, my dealer has received no updates on potential fixes, ETA or any other instructions from head office.

This is getting really frustrating now, since I'd sold my car through the dealer two weeks ago, and now I'm without a vehicle, with no end in sight
I'm from Toronto too. Which dealer did you buy it from? They need to step up and give you a loaner until said problem is resolved.

I've got an incoming 2017MY M3. I've got a September allocation which means a probable November delivery. Having said that, does anyone know if the 2017MY production timeline will be delayed due to this differential issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #446
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:

Another Canuck here as well. I bought a MY17 M4 on June 21st. My car rolled off the production line on July 5th and when I called BMW Canada earlier this month I was told my car was on delivery hold (well before we found out about this rear diff issue). I inquired as to why it was on hold and they couldn't tell me anything. I checked in a week later and same thing and they still couldn't tell me why it was on hold.

Then as soon as this bulletin came out I called my dealer and they said your car is not affected by this. Then a couple of days later Mo from this board confirmed that my VIN was actually one of the affected vehicles.

I haven't received any update from my dealer in nearly a week and BMW Canada still doesn't know why my car is on delivery hold. It amazes me that I can get more info about my vehicle status through an Internet forum then actually through either BMW Canada or my dealer.

Anyway, as far as I know my car is still sitting somewhere in Germany. I wish they would at least ship it over here then fix it at either port or dealer. My sense is any vehicles impacted by this and haven't been shipped yet are being held back in Germany to be fixed by the mothership.

At this point I don't think I'll get my car till September at the earliest. Maybe even October. I bought the ultimate package so once my car arrives in Canada it still needs MPE and all the carbon bits installed at port before it even arrives at my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #447
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloGabriel View Post
There is no eta on the fix so I will try to wait. But I am not sure if I want to wait for over a month. Let's assume that the fix may take a while and I want to walk out of the deal, is this possible without incurring any financial penalty?
If you haven't signed the lease/or finance contract that should be easy to walk out i would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #448
alex310
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe/M3 Sedan

I know you guys are waiting daily for updates but look at the history of these recalls, the airbag problem with the new 7 series they put stop delivery back in January and till this day there is still a handful of cars getting fixed/stop delivery.

The X3 the recall took over 3 months with no answer.

These two cases are from this year. Previous cases have taken a long time also.

You have to imagine they are applying the fix and have to put hundreds of miles on the car before approving the fix. If the fix fails, the process must be repeated.

I assume if it is a full dif replacement (heavy units) with thousands of cars effected I can not see them air shipping a thousand units to let's say the US, shipping by sea can take up to a month.

I assume from previous cases cars will be fixed in order of, delivered cars, contracted cars (I.E. ED guys,) mark sold cars, and lastly dealer stock cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #449
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Gentleman, I have just picked up my new car despite the recall
The dealer ordered a new diff and will replace it when the diff arrives.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #450
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

My car is a june 29th production ZCP. MY17.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #451
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
That's great news. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #452
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
This is basically what happened when I picked up after my 1200 mile service. My SA stated since there is no fix, and its not safety related, I might as well keep it until they have a fix.

I plan on keeping in contact with the dealer.
      07-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #453
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCommunist
Quote:

I'm from Toronto too. Which dealer did you buy it from? They need to step up and give you a loaner until said problem is resolved.

I've got an incoming 2017MY M3. I've got a September allocation which means a probable November delivery. Having said that, does anyone know if the 2017MY production timeline will be delayed due to this differential issue?
I'm also interested in this!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #454
JDubz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got off the phone with genius - getting more frustrated by the day with lack of information. Though the person on the phone assured me that the airbag recall is not a good comparison.

Have been told that there are no assurances on providing compensation proactively (i.e. car payments and insurance), no time table to get additional information, basically - nothing.

So I guess I have the choice as to whether I keep paying on this car that I've never seen and trust that BMW will make it right in the end - or start exploring what legal options are. The problem is that, without a time table for resolution, I have no idea if I'm whining over a 2 week delay or need to figure out what I'm going to do for the next 6 months with no car.

Would be lovely if they would start delivering vehicles like they're doing in Germany, and allow us to get repairs at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #455
alex310
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe/M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz
Just got off the phone with genius - getting more frustrated by the day with lack of information. Though the person on the phone assured me that the airbag recall is not a good comparison.

Have been told that there are no assurances on providing compensation proactively (i.e. car payments and insurance), no time table to get additional information, basically - nothing.

So I guess I have the choice as to whether I keep paying on this car that I've never seen and trust that BMW will make it right in the end - or start exploring what legal options are. The problem is that, without a time table for resolution, I have no idea if I'm whining over a 2 week delay or need to figure out what I'm going to do for the next 6 months with no car.

Would be lovely if they would start delivering vehicles like they're doing in Germany, and allow us to get repairs at the dealer.
I highly doubt it will take 6months for this fix. Specially since M department is handling this. But I highly doubt it will be any sooner then 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #456
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm also interested in this!!!
For what it's worth, I called my CA today to see if the 2017's were affected. He said the production timeline will not be affected at all. Bear in mind I've got a September allocation so I wouldn't be taking delivery until November anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #457
DR12FAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible (ZCP)

I have a F83 ZCP which has been with my dealer since the 16/07/16 (Delivery stop came 2/7 before i was going to pick up the vehicle). Spoke to him earlier, and he states they are going to have to replace the diffs, and that it is likely to be at least 1 month (as BMW have not given any inclination as to when the diffs will be ready). Obviously everything is up in the air, so he could not commit on exact timings!

However to his credit he has sorted me out with a lovely loan car. Unfortunately he could not provide me with an M car, but has given me 2016 750i M sport (4.4 litre twin turbo), which takes some of the sting away!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #458
nirvana19
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Lotus Evora GT, 91 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR12FAN View Post
I have a F83 ZCP which has been with my dealer since the 16/07/16 (Delivery stop came 2/7 before i was going to pick up the vehicle). Spoke to him earlier, and he states they are going to have to replace the diffs, and that it is likely to be at least 1 month (as BMW have not given any inclination as to when the diffs will be ready). Obviously everything is up in the air, so he could not commit on exact timings!

However to his credit he has sorted me out with a lovely loan car. Unfortunately he could not provide me with an M car, but has given me 2016 750i M sport (4.4 litre twin turbo), which takes some of the sting away!
Do you guys purchase the vehicle at the time you place an order? With ordered cars (if you don't do Euro Delivery or PCD) in the US we haven't actually entered into any purchase agreement with the dealership prior to delivery. While this means we can walk away at any time (at worst foregoing a deposit), I also imagine a loaner is likely out of the question. I unfortunately sold my car exactly one day before news about the stop came out and am now will be in a jam if my car is delayed more than a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #459
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Hot off the presses from David who heard from BMW M NA:
-new product is being manufactured every day
-allocated capacity to NA = 90pcs / wk
-roughly 200 cars NA affected
-globally many many more
-suppliers weekly capacity is 420/wk
-customers waiting the longest get highest priority (for example ED)
-stop issue only, absolutely nothing to do with a failure or safety issue
-NVH/rattle only
Appreciate 6
JDubz69.00
Halewafa353.00
DD88191.00
visi107363.00
      07-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #460
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
-globally many many more
-NVH/rattle only
That's good news. Thanks. And thanks David.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #461
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
-globally many many more
-NVH/rattle only
ok, so there is a chance that my M3 hasn't been affected. I've been checking between my CA and genius a few times now since the news broke. So far, both have indicated my VIN is not on the list even though its still at port, just released to the VPC yesterday after sitting for a week (arrived at port on 7/18).
      07-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #462
JDubz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane
Quote:
-globally many many more
-NVH/rattle only
That's good news. Thanks. And thanks David.
So for the sake of my OCD: 200 pcs needed in North America + North America getting 90/week = problem solved in 3 weeks?

Ok not pics but pcs
Appreciate 0