BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > How Do You Make Apple Car Play Come On At Start Up

11-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
5150d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

How Do You Make Apple Car Play Come On At Start Up

2020 M2 Competition. Apple Car Play works but I have to push a saved button to get to it. The idrive navagation comes on at start up and just sometimes Car Play starts. How do I make the Apple Car Play come on at start up everytime?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Mine auto pop ups within 5-10seconds? Odd
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Make sure you have CarPlay enabled on your iPhone.

Settings - General - CarPlay - (your car) - set the CarPlay slider to "on"

This is the setting that launches CarPlay upon connecting to your car
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
5150d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

I do - but most of the time the BMW idrive navigation comes on at start up. I called the Genius line but they were no help.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150d View Post
Quote:

I do - but most of the time the BMW idrive navigation comes on at start up. I called the Genius line but they were no help.
Do you have regular appointments in your calendar app with destinations on them?

If so check your Connected drive app and make sure it is set to NOT automatically send the designation to your car. This launches BMW Navi automatically
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
5150d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you have regular appointments in your calendar app with destinations on them?

If so check your Connected drive app and make sure it is set to NOT automatically send the designation to your car. This launches BMW Navi automatically
My app on the iPhone does show as a feature in the vehicle Send Destination to Vehicle. How do I turn it off?
Under Activity "import calendars & get alerts" is not enabled but don't know if this is the same?
Under Calendars in settings shows not enabled but don't know if this is the same?

BUT....I did see that there is a toggle under MORE -> SETTINGS to "Auto Start Navigation".
Maybe this is the issue......

Last edited by 5150d; 11-24-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My app on the iPhone does show as a feature in the vehicle Send Destination to Vehicle. How do I turn it off?
Under Activity "import calendars & get alerts" is not enabled but don't know if this is the same?
Under Calendars in settings shows not enabled but don't know if this is the same?

BUT....I did see that there is a toggle under MORE -> SETTINGS to "Auto Start Navigation".
Maybe this is the issue......
I believe that is the one
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
5150d
Private
Rep

Quote:
I believe that is the one
Turning off this did not help. Car Play still does not come on at start up.

I contacted BMW Genius and here is their response:

"Apple Carplay is a secondary environment that operates on the idrive system. Carplay cannot load to the vehicle before the vehicle's native system has loaded."

Does anyone here have CarPlay and does it load at startup?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Not sure then. My CarPlay loads up upon connecting to iDrive immediately.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone here have CarPlay and does it load at startup?
This is how it works in my car:

I hit start/stop, the M logo startup screen appears, the home screen for iDrive is then shown, I wait 5 seconds and the apple car play logo appears in the bottom left, I wait another 5 seconds and it automatically switches over to the apple car play home screen.

My guess is that your car would do this too but you probably aren't being patient enough and giving it the time it needs to load up.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I had similar issue but now it seems to pop up within 10 seconds of startup.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
5150d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
This is how it works in my car:

I hit start/stop, the M logo startup screen appears, the home screen for iDrive is then shown, I wait 5 seconds and the apple car play logo appears in the bottom left, I wait another 5 seconds and it automatically switches over to the apple car play home screen.

My guess is that your car would do this too but you probably aren't being patient enough and giving it the time it needs to load up.
Wish that worked for me but it does not.
Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Wish that worked for me but it does not.
Any advice?
Not sure it will help but if I suggest that you have the car forget your phone and/or have your phone's bluetooth forget the car (not sure if you need to or can do both). Then power your phone completely off. Power it back on on and do a new pairing procedure with the car, making sure that CarPlay is enabled on the phone.

Hope this helps.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Is your phone connected when you startup, but you have to go through the idrive to get it to display? If so, the start-up screen on the idrive is set with your seat memory buttons. Put the idrive on the Carplay screen, then push the seat program button and assign 1 or 2. This may or may not help
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingle Mccringleberry View Post
Is your phone connected when you startup, but you have to go through the idrive to get it to display? If so, the start-up screen on the idrive is set with your seat memory buttons. Put the idrive on the Carplay screen, then push the seat program button and assign 1 or 2. This may or may not help
Oooh, I will definitely be trying this! Always wondered why it started up on a useless screen (probably the one that was on when I set the seat/mirror memory). What else is "remembered" by the memory button?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #16
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

I’ve got CarPlay plugged into one of the memory buttons, but when I press it to start up CarPlay it always says something like ‘ CarPlay not currently available’ every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #17
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

CarPlay or any of BMW APPs are tied to the vehicle's Connectdrive system, which takes a few seconds to a minute to authenticate it's subscription validity, via the vehicle's independent data connection.

This is the reason CarPlay takes a little to populate on screen, as this handshake has to commence each time it's booted from scratch.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #18
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

For me I see the bmw dismiss screen in my phone on car start but on gods green earth I'm not able to find where is CarPlay in my m2
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
5150d
Private
Rep

FINALLY SOLVED (sort of): The Apple Car Play is handled via WI-FI. If you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth it may work sometimes and be unreliable.

I found this out by forgetting the Bluetooth connection in the iPhone and in the M2 and then restarting the iPhone and the M2.

YOU NEED TO CONNECT THE iPhone via the APPLE CAR PLAY icon in the M2 - NOT VIA CONNECT PHONE THROUGH BLUETOOTH. IT WILL THEN BOOT UP THE CAR PLAY AND CONNECT.

If successful you will see the connection in your iPhone settings under WI-FI (apple car play connected). Bluetooth does show the M2 PAIRED but it does not connect via that. And, yes, there is a check box in the Bluetooth section of the M2 that does say use Apple Car Play and it is checked BUT the important point is that when you go to ADD MOBILE DEVICE in the M2 you need to click on the APPLE CAR PLAY icon (in the M2) NOT the Pair Phone.

I got to this point because I repeatedly got the screen in in the M2 when I tried to pair the iPhone via Bluetooth clicking on pair phone in add mobile device WHICH said apple car play failed. Don't click on that.

The Apple Car Play still does not come on at Start Up as the standard BMW menu comes on BUT it does immediately show the Apple Car Play icon which I have to touch to bring it up. And, the BMW iDrive navigation works at same time which it did not work when using Bluetooth. ALSO - YOU CAN PRESS THE VOICE BOTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL AND SAY "CARPLAY" AND IT WILL BOOT UP ON SCREEN.

Please advise if this works for you and if I am correct?

Last edited by 5150d; 12-04-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
goku7173.00
      12-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

I will try this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #21
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Man, this thread gave me flashbacks of trying to get the old BMW USB 6FL interface (that thing was a pos) to load up mp3 tracks and display alerts/messages via Bluetooth. It's now 2019 going on 2020 and there are still stupid issues like this; it shouldn't be that hard. Tired of poorly written protocols and apps.

P.S. I work in tech, there are no excuse for this IMO.

P.S.S. When will AI take over already?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
neurostrokemd
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
FINALLY SOLVED (sort of): The Apple Car Play is handled via WI-FI. If you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth it may work sometimes and be unreliable.

I found this out by forgetting the Bluetooth connection in the iPhone and in the M2 and then restarting the iPhone and the M2.

YOU NEED TO CONNECT THE iPhone via the APPLE CAR PLAY icon in the M2 - NOT VIA CONNECT PHONE THROUGH BLUETOOTH. IT WILL THEN BOOT UP THE CAR PLAY AND CONNECT.

If successful you will see the connection in your iPhone settings under WI-FI (apple car play connected). Bluetooth does show the M2 PAIRED but it does not connect via that. And, yes, there is a check box in the Bluetooth section of the M2 that does say use Apple Car Play and it is checked BUT the important point is that when you go to ADD MOBILE DEVICE in the M2 you need to click on the APPLE CAR PLAY icon (in the M2) NOT the Pair Phone.

I got to this point because I repeatedly got the screen in in the M2 when I tried to pair the iPhone via Bluetooth clicking on pair phone in add mobile device WHICH said apple car play failed. Don't click on that.

The Apple Car Play still does not come on at Start Up as the standard BMW menu comes on BUT it does immediately show the Apple Car Play icon which I have to touch to bring it up. And, the BMW iDrive navigation works at same time which it did not work when using Bluetooth. ALSO - YOU CAN PRESS THE VOICE BOTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL AND SAY "CARPLAY" AND IT WILL BOOT UP ON SCREEN.

Please advise if this works for you and if I am correct?
I was not going to use car play with my work phone but I gave it a go after they announced it free. However I only got iphone to pair bluetooth. There's nowhere in the entire iDrive system where I can find Apple car play icon. There's yelp, amazon alexa etc.
Appreciate 1
goku7173.00