BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Driving modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, MDM & DSC OFF)

10-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #45
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
But does this apply to cold starts all of which are done in Open Loop mode and using hard coded values rather than utilizing closed loop adaptive values until the engine warms up?
I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #46
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Has anyone had the problem where you are only able to switch between the driving modes while not moving? When you drive the modes shut off. Maybe does it possibly have to do with the TPMS sensor sensing low tire pressure?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #47
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
Has anyone had the problem where you are only able to switch between the driving modes while not moving? When you drive the modes shut off. Maybe does it possibly have to do with the TPMS sensor sensing low tire pressure?
Yes if TPMS detects low pressure you can't change out of comfort. Depending what's up with your tire pressure if you just reset tire pressure in iDrive it might just go away, or like, put the correct amount of pressure in your tires and reset TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #48
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
Yes if TPMS detects low pressure you can't change out of comfort. Depending what's up with your tire pressure if you just reset tire pressure in iDrive it might just go away, or like, put the correct amount of pressure in your tires and reset TPMS.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #49
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I’m not stupid (PhD, actually) but I’m a Luddite which is why I always drive my M2 in Sport + with those extra button things pushed to turn off all the “nannies”. I like to do my own rev-matching / and double-clutch when down-shifting and I don’t want a computer doing it for me. That said, I’m doing my first HPDE in a few weeks at Lime Rock and would like to know, (without a bunch of tech talk and acronyms please), which drive mode should I be using for the track and (if OK in Sport + which I’m used to) is it really going to be dangerous to turn off all the “nannies” my first time on track with this car? I have done track time before (40 years ago I had my SCCA competition license and raced a Renault Gordini), just not with this car.

Advice please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I’m not stupid (PhD, actually) but I’m a Luddite which is why I always drive my M2 in Sport + with those extra button things pushed to turn off all the “nannies”. I like to do my own rev-matching / and double-clutch when down-shifting and I don’t want a computer doing it for me. That said, I’m doing my first HPDE in a few weeks at Lime Rock and would like to know, (without a bunch of tech talk and acronyms please), which drive mode should I be using for the track and (if OK in Sport + which I’m used to) is it really going to be dangerous to turn off all the “nannies” my first time on track with this car? I have done track time before (40 years ago I had my SCCA competition license and raced a Renault Gordini), just not with this car.

Advice please?
I find the M2 to be a well balanced car. If you have racing experience, possibly on slicks, I doubt you will have issues with sport+, but conservative is good. Testing the limits in sport will be valuable before changing to sport+. It may even stick better than the older race car.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #50
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
If I code in Euro MDM, will it be just as relaxed in Sport Plus mode? I read somewhere that in Sport Plus with EuroMDM coded in, it's not the same as is basically US MDM, but on MDM mode (short press of DSC), Itll be completely Euro MDM mode. Can someone enlighten me?
      04-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #51
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
I found the Drivelogic Mode interesting.

My E46 M3 has a button for this (more levels). I guess it exists in the M2 but not controlled by a button, but by different combinations of the settings described elsewhere in the chart?

Thanks OP for this, and for thinking to make a download.
Since the M2C has this feature I wonder if it's possible to flash the M2 with software to enable it and grab the buttons from the M2C so you can control it?
Appreciate 1
Yiruna393.50
      04-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #52
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
I found the Drivelogic Mode interesting.

My E46 M3 has a button for this (more levels). I guess it exists in the M2 but not controlled by a button, but by different combinations of the settings described elsewhere in the chart?

Thanks OP for this, and for thinking to make a download.
Since the M2C has this feature I wonder if it's possible to flash the M2 with software to enable it and grab the buttons from the M2C so you can control it?
Would be much easier if we could. Would love to just press M2 to go back to comfort mode after using M1 to FLEX
      04-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #53
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

For me the ultimate setting would be Sport with the sound of the Traction mode and the permanent sound of the cold start. But I suppose that's not possible....
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #54
Lus8aPilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Does anybody know if it would be possible to keep rev matching ON while completely turning of DSC? (coding, flash tune?)

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I found plenty of threads on turning OFF rev matching but I clearly suck at heal-toe downshifting.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #55
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
For me the ultimate setting would be Sport with the sound of the Traction mode and the permanent sound of the cold start. But I suppose that's not possible....
For street, my dream would be Euro MDM, no rev match, with Traction sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #56
TKO11
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
What is 'Traction mode' and how to get there? Comfort plus push the DSC button? (I'm in the first month of ownership)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #57
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO11 View Post
What is 'Traction mode' and how to get there? Comfort plus push the DSC button? (I'm in the first month of ownership)
Yes.
      05-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #58
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just push the traction button normally instead of hold it down. It will put you in traction mode no matter what you were in before. On the n55 m2 each thing is it's own separate mode, you can't combine traction mode and sport for example, you're either in one or the other.

Traction mode has comfort steering weight, comfort throttle, MDM for traction setting, sport for transmission, and extra burbles if MT or Sequential on DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #59
TKO11
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Traction mode has comfort steering weight, comfort throttle, MDM for traction setting, sport for transmission, and extra burbles if MT or Sequential on DCT.
Are those extra burbles in 'traction mode' the same or different than if in Sport or Sport+???

If MORE than Sport or Sport+ than that makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #60
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are those extra burbles in 'traction mode' the same or different than if in Sport or Sport+???

If MORE than Sport or Sport+ than that makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks in advance!
More. It's not really louder I think, just more overrun.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      05-13-2018, 03:35 AM   #61
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I'm really annoyed that the M2 Competition gets the ability to set up your preferences individually and program them to M1 and M2 buttons.

I like Sport+ mode but want to reign back the Drivelogic gear change aggressiveness to 2 to get MDM or use Sport mode and switch on MDM.

I don't appear to be able to get that setup with any of the combinations listed.

Anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
I'm really annoyed that the M2 Competition gets the ability to set up your preferences individually and program them to M1 and M2 buttons.

I like Sport+ mode but want to reign back the Drivelogic gear change aggressiveness to 2 to get MDM or use Sport mode and switch on MDM.

I don't appear to be able to get that setup with any of the combinations listed.

Anyone help?
I feel the same way. They're might be a way with a flash tune to force sport throttle in every mode or sport shifting in every mode. Pretty sure you can do the throttle mapping at least. Then traction/MDM mode would have what you want because it uses sport shifting if you're picking the gears yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #63
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't matter what mode you're in. One press of DSC will take you there. You can't be in two modes at once. There are 5 total. No combination of the two are feasible.

Comfort
Sport
Sport+
Traction (MDM) - Short press of DSC
DSC OFF - Long press and hold of DSC
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #64
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

What modes and situations cause the exhaust flap to open?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #65
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
IMO, comfort mode sucks and the M2 should of just came in one mode, Sport+

I have MT and hate the sluggish throttle response when shifting gears driving around town in comfort. The only time comfort mode is good is when you are cruising on the highway and not shifting gears, only time i ever use it.
(Driving instructors all tell me that) when you're cornering really fast on track, you need to feather-off the brakes and feather-on the throttle so you don't upset the car's balance. "Smoother is faster," as they say. The super-twitchy Sport+ throttle tip-in makes it impossible to feather-in the throttle gently. That's why DSC OFF gives you the linear Comfort throttle response. For smooth throttle-on near the limit.

I like to think of Sport and Sport+ as "peppy street driving modes."

And I think of "DTC" as engineering-speak and "MDM" as marketing-speak for exactly the same thing.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #66
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
(Driving instructors all tell me that) when you're cornering really fast on track, you need to feather-off the brakes and feather-on the throttle so you don't upset the car's balance. "Smoother is faster," as they say. The super-twitchy Sport+ throttle tip-in makes it impossible to feather-in the throttle gently. That's why DSC OFF gives you the linear Comfort throttle response. For smooth throttle-on near the limit.

I like to think of Sport and Sport+ as "peppy street driving modes."

And I think of "DTC" as engineering-speak and "MDM" as marketing-speak for exactly the same thing.
At least for the OG M2, DSC off gives you "sport" throttle mapping, not "comfort". There's a handy chart from BMW which shows that. You can also confirm it by switching between modes.

I agree totally with you about "sport+", it's useless for anything other than roasting tires.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50