BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A few early '18 LCIs delivered with Adaptive LED Headlights at no cost

09-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #243
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Hey - Maybe the 552s are already built into the price increase for '18, and the other guys should be paying even more for the Executive Package.

Come to think of it, we've only had one non-Executive Package car reported (LBB delivered to Chicago) that supposedly didn't have the 552s - but we really don't know for sure because no one saw the window sticker on that car.

Maybe all '18 M2s get the 552s and we just don't know it because so few have been delivered until now. Today two new orders for non-EP cars were reported, and the paperwork showed 552s on both.
There are also '18 non-exec orders and VINs not showing 552.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #244
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
There are also '18 non-exec orders and VINs not showing 552.
Yeah there are people in the week specific threads who don't have 552 and I find it hard to believe BMW would advertise and market the adaptive lights as part of the executive package and then give them for free. I'm willing to bet there's a parts shortage of still an error in the system.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #245
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I don't doubt what you're saying, but can you steer me to any of those messages? I haven't seen them, and I've been trying to keep up with the threads up to week 37. I really thought this would be over once the Week 32-33 cars landed, but so far (even from you) the reports of 552s on non-EP cars continue. In addition, reports of documentation for brand-new orders is keeping this silliness alive!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #246
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Wow - so now we know they didn't fix the "order system error" for sure!
      09-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #247
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #248
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks kinda mean...Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #249
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Just to confuse everyone even more, I was one of the OP's of the original subject of having the 552's show up on a non-exec. build sheet. All the way up to the the day leading up to production the 552's showed up on BMW's system. I know because I called and verified it via BMW Genius. The car is in transit on a ship to California right now and when I looked at the vin decoder it does NOT show up. The exec. pkg didn't offer any value to me so I passed. The reason for this post is to suggest if you really like the new lights I suggest you not take a chance even if it shows up on your build sheet and buy the pkg. Who knows, it may still show up with the 552's, but there is no pattern whatsoever to bet on. If you don't get the 552's don't be disappointed, remember you chose not to pay for them for a reason. For the lucky few, there's nothing better than gettting something for $free,ninety,free even if your indifferent to the headlight shape.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #250
CLH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

My 2018 non-exec did indeed come with Adaptives. Picked it up this morning

Name:  IMG_5049.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  159.9 KB
      09-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #251
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Congratulations on the car, CLH, and welcome to 4L - the League of Liberated LEDs for LCIs!
Appreciate 1
CLH116.00
      09-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #252
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Is the Dash leather now? Or is it just stitched to make it look like it is? Weird stitching color choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #253
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
Is the Dash leather now? Or is it just stitched to make it look like it is? Weird stitching color choice.
The M2 dash is not leather.
      09-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #254
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
My 2018 non-exec did indeed come with Adaptives. Picked it up this morning
Nice - you're one of the lucky ones!
      09-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #255
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats to all of you that are getting them for free, what a score

Now for all the others that paid for the exec pkg to get the lights, we should have a case with BMWNA due to this cuz it is clearly being listed on the orders imputed way before the cars drop into production......just say'n
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #256
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Congrats to all of you that are getting them for free, what a score

Now for all the others that paid for the exec pkg to get the lights, we should have a case with BMWNA due to this cuz it is clearly being listed on the orders imputed way before the cars drop into production......just say'n
The exec package came with everything that was promised. The only claim would be if it was missing something.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #257
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The exec package came with everything that was promised. The only claim would be if it was missing something.
I totally agree with that but on the other side when a manufacturer list something on a particular package but then does not tell you that it is available without that package that is mis-representation to led you into purchasing something. I am fine with cuz I wanted a couple of other items. I was just making a comment that it is kinda skewed
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #258
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I totally agree with that but on the other side when a manufacturer list something on a particular package but then does not tell you that it is available without that package that is mis-representation to led you into purchasing something. I am fine with cuz I wanted a couple of other items. I was just making a comment that it is kinda skewed
Totally agree. I know for a fact there are some people who bought the Exec pkg for the primary purpose of acquiring the adaptive LEDs ... I think if I were one of them, Id be creating a real stink about getting compensation for the misspent money.

As it is though, I wanted some of the other Exec features, but if that were the prime mover, Id be more than a little pissed.

Good customer relations would demand they give some kind of 'consideration' to Exec Pkg buyers.
      09-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #259
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Wow, this is a lot of angst over parts that can't total anywhere near 1 percent of the value of the whole car.

All manufacturers reserve the right to change, revise and/or upgrade specifications as necessary. Minor production variations happen all the time. Practically speaking, the fact that Adaptive LED Headlights have appeared both inside and outside the Executive Package is hardly a reason to demand compensation, especially if BMW's reason for including them on "base" cars is a problem with a supplier, a parts shortage or even a correctable mistake in the parts specification process for the manufacturing plant. Would you rather that BMW had not started production of the LCIs (or at least the base models) until later this year? That could have been a financially disastrous decision - and think how the buyers of those cars would feel about having their cars delayed for months. RS3, anyone?

Also, I wasn't kidding higher in this thread when I said that it's possible that Adaptive LED Headlights may, in fact, be standard on all U.S. LCIs - and we just don't know it yet, because a marketing and/or manufacturing decision was made after the promotional materials were produced months ago. Or maybe BMW is just trying to keep the line moving because it didn't have nonadaptive LEDs available. It's just too soon to tell, and maybe we'll never know.

At this point, the sampling of affected vehicles in this situation is tiny. Only a small percentage of owners of the LCIs participate in this forum or have taken delivery (or both). Other than one car delivered to Chicago - for which we don't have all the facts - have there been any base LCIs actually delivered into the hands of owners that don't have the 552s? I haven't seen any. (That doesn't mean they dont exist - I just haven't seen them.) But we do know that half a dozen base models have been delivered with the 552s - and two future owners of late-year builds have said the 552s are in their paperwork.

I only started this thread because I haven't paid much attention to new BMWs for many years - but the whole 552 thing was an anomaly that bugged me, and my car was one of the first handful to hit the U.S. However, I've said all along that I couldn't care less about having LEDs whose only extra feature was that they bend a little around corners - I just wanted LEDs, which with the sunroof, were the primary reasons I turned down the dealer's last '17 allocation and grabbed his first '18 allocation.

So, if you really feel wounded by an auto manufacturer that's just working in a normal vehicle production environment and conducting business as they all do, go ahead and write BMW a letter saying how ripped off you feel. And if you get anything of value in response, send me a copy. Then I can talk with BMW about getting Contis instead of Michelins.

Last edited by Spa2k; 09-25-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #260
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Where do you draw the line? If you were buying a lesser model and you paid extra for Merino leather, and then found out that base cars were being so equipped, youd have a beef, and very few people would chastise you for it. The point is, its patently unfair and bad business to charge some people more for the identical goods, in the same time frame, as someone else, and most reputable businesses will offer to price match, or rebate the difference when it happens, plain and simple.

Last edited by boostm3; 09-25-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #261
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

I have a non exec with 552 showing on the invoice and vin. Will know within a week when it arrives at the dealer if it really comes with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Where do you draw the line? If you were buying a lesser model and you paid extra for Marino leather, and then found out that base cars were being so equipped, youd have a beef, and very few people would chastise you for it. The point is, its patently unfair and bad business to charge some people more for the identical goods, in the same time frame, as someone else, and most reputable businesses will offer to price match, or rebate the difference when it happens, plain and simple.
This happens all the time. People negotiate different prices for cars, financing rates, etc. Would you complain someone on the forum negotiated a better price on a m2 than you did? Should your dealer match that price?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #262
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
I have a non exec with 552 showing on the invoice and vin. Will know within a week when it arrives at the dealer if it really comes with it.

This happens all the time. People negotiate different prices for cars, financing rates, etc. Would you complain someone on the forum negotiated a better price on a m2 than you did? Should your dealer match that price?
Not sure your comparison is relevant, especially considering that the vast majority of current and future m2 owners paid MSRP. Plus, all other things being equal (negotiating skill, market conditions, etc.) the car with less options will be cheaper.

I was interested in more than just the headlights, although they were one of the main reasons why I got the package. Frankly the cost of the package is soo cheap I don't really care that much if people are getting them for free. BUT...if we were talking about an option that was significantly more I would be singing another tune, as would everyone else.

For those who got them for free, congrats. But let's say you were on the other side of the fence, would you care then??? Maybe not for $1500, but what if people were getting a $3k option for free? Would you care then?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:08 AM   #263
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
what if people were getting a $3k option for free? Would you care then?
Sorry, but I don't think that's at all relevant to this discussion. The value of the 552s over and above the "plain" LEDs (if they even exist) is probably a tenth of that.

Plus, the Executive Package also gets Automatic High Beams, the software that's included with all LCIs but can't be enabled on the base cars and the two-button turn signal stalk and other hardware. Maybe BMW just lists all the headlight-related "options" together in the Executive Package list because they're all integrated into one headlight system. What if the 552s are included in the MSRP of all LCIs, and the 552s are not charged as part of the EP? It's as plausible as anything else we're throwing around here.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #264
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Sorry, but I don't think that's at all relevant to this discussion. The value of the 552s over and above the "plain" LEDs (if they even exist) is probably a tenth of that.

Plus, the Executive Package also gets Automatic High Beams, the software that's included with all LCIs but can't be enabled on the base cars and the two-button turn signal stalk and other hardware. Maybe BMW just lists all the headlight-related "options" together in the Executive Package list because they're all integrated into one headlight system. What if the 552s are included in the MSRP of all LCIs, and the 552s are not charged as part of the EP? It's as plausible as anything else we're throwing around here.
I disagree. The adaptive LEDs are probably the majority of the cost of the package. The fact that non adapative LEDs exist for 2018 is the only reason why this would be an issue.
Appreciate 0