BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Question about loud rattle on the mesh of downpipes

12-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Question about loud rattle on the mesh of downpipes

I have a 2017 M2 11,700 miles on the odometer. I have a dinan resonator delete pipe and dinan muffler installed. About a week ago I recently been experiencing a loud rattle around 2500-3100rpm. Its gotten so annoying that I had it checked out at the dinan installer that did the install for the mid pipe and the muffler, they found the mesh around the downpipe is rattling.

Has anyone experienced this with my type setup?? If not will this cause problems for me down the road either way I am going to get it fixed but I am hoping that the dealership will cover it. Just a bit more information the down pipe is O.E.M and not aftermarket. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. The rattle is driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonuspp View Post
I have a 2017 M2 11,700 miles on the odometer. I have a dinan resonator delete pipe and dinan muffler installed. About a week ago I recently been experiencing a loud rattle around 2500-3100rpm. Its gotten so annoying that I had it checked out at the dinan installer that did the install for the mid pipe and the muffler, they found the mesh around the downpipe is rattling.

Has anyone experienced this with my type setup?? If not will this cause problems for me down the road either way I am going to get it fixed but I am hoping that the dealership will cover it. Just a bit more information the down pipe is O.E.M and not aftermarket. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. The rattle is driving me crazy.
Mesh around the down pipe I'm pretty sure the OEM DP has no mesh around it.
      12-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. The rattle is driving me crazy.

Have BMW replace it for free, then sell it on ebay and buy a 200cell sport cat
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #4
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M² View Post
Mesh around the down pipe I'm pretty sure the OEM DP has no mesh around it.
Ok I’ll try to post a pic of what I’m talking about, should have done that in the first place, my apologies.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Ok I’ll try to post a pic of what I’m talking about, should have done that in the first place, my apologies.
You referring to the flex joint on the catback (mid pipe) portion which is near the downpipe? The ribbed/mesh looking thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update to my rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
You referring to the flex joint on the catback (mid pipe) portion which is near the downpipe? The ribbed/mesh looking thing.
Yes the ribbed mesh looking thing, well the dealership just emailed me and said it was the wastegate rattling.

Here is his exact quote: "Looks like the noise is normal. There is less back pressure in the exhaust and it's causing the wastegate to rattle. It's not the downpipe at all but can be heard through it. We can't change that".

Great and the problem I am having with that is the rattle is getting progressively louder and I have read on the E90 forums that if it is a bad wastegate it will lead to future problems. Am I being paranoid or can someone suggest what I can do to get this resolved.
Appreciate 0