BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 LCI to wait or not to wait?

01-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #45
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i just got off the phone to my dealer, and said on his list there are no updates for the M2 this year, only the 2 series will receive an LCI, even when i asked him over and over he said he highly doubts this as there will only be the CS if anything.
That is what BMW Belgium told me also... I already have my M2 (I needed, wanted it in 2016)... There will always be a newer model or updated model...so you can always wait and in the end you buy nothing. That said; I'm really happy I have a MY 2017 that was build in november and not MY 2016. I have iDrive 5.0 with the new screen, new features (like Apple Carplay) and I really love it. Also; my Harman Kardon sounds better then in the MY 2016 I test drove before buying.
      01-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #46
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
That is what BMW Belgium told me also... I already have my M2 (I needed, wanted it in 2016)... There will always be a newer model or updated model...so you can always wait and in the end you buy nothing. That said; I'm really happy I have a MY 2017 that was build in november and not MY 2016. I have iDrive 5.0 with the new screen, new features (like Apple Carplay) and I really love it. Also; my Harman Kardon sounds better then in the MY 2016 I test drove before buying.
Do you really think that BMW would update the headlights,taillights and maybe some minor interior changes on the MY18 LCI 2 series and not also update the MY18 M2 with those changes?The MY18 M2 will definitely also get these updates IMO and ynguldyn has already confirmed that info many times on the forum.BMW has already also confirmed that all MY18 BMW series will get the new updated NAV system that the new 5 series has.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #47
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Do you really think that BMW would update the headlights,taillights and maybe some minor interior changes on the MY18 LCI 2 series and not also update the MY18 M2 with those changes?The MY18 M2 will definitely also get these updates IMO and ynguldyn has already confirmed that info many times on the forum.BMW has already also confirmed that all MY18 BMW series will get the new updated NAV system that the new 5 series has.
What is that new nav? New idrive or nav specifically? Didn't the MY17 just get an update idrive
      01-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #48
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
What is that new nav? New idrive or nav specifically? Didn't the MY17 just get an update idrive
The specifications are listed in the new Other BMW Updates Coming Spring 2017 thread that Jason posted this week.The MY17 M2 did get a new idrive but these are new updated features that the MY17 M2 idrive doesn't have.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1344371
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #49
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The specifications are listed in the new Other BMW Updates Coming Spring 2017 thread that Jason posted this week.The MY17 M2 did get a new idrive but these are new updated features that the MY17 M2 idrive doesn't have.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1344371
This?

Quote:
Even more intuitive: Navigation system Professional with animated buttons arranged as tiles.
The latest innovations for the display and control concept, which made their debut in the new BMW 5 Series, will be available for further series as from March 2017. In conjunction with the navigation system Professional, the Control Display of the iDrive system will, thanks to a new enhanced graphic representation, facilitate even more intuitive operation in the BMW 7 Series and BMW 6 Series as well as in all variants of the BMW M6. The on-board monitor displays menus in the form of horizontally arranged buttons with a tile structure. These six buttons, the order of which can be individually configured by the driver, are displayed in the main menu on two sides of the screen. This ensures more convenient and faster access to the desired content. A new menu option is Messages, allowing access to incoming text messages and e-mails as well as information on the vehicles operating condition.

These functions, which are available using the menu selection, are symbolised by animated graphics in live mode. For example, in the overview and by means of a displayed map section, the navigation menu button already displays the route the vehicle is currently travelling on, whilst the entertainment menu graphics show the title of the song currently playing, including album cover, or the name of the selected radio station.
Seems pretty minor
      01-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #50
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This?

Seems pretty minor
There is some other stuff listed but yes it is just more added features,nothing drastically different from the current system.

I am really only interested in any additional performance updates in the MY18 M2 and if they introduce any new colors.The current M2 has more than enough tech IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #51
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Guys do I understand correctly now that BMW is not going to make LCI for the M2? I mean the new price list should last at least 6 months from March right?

Or can they make another price list/update in April and introduce LCI in July? Is it possible to introduce another change so soon after this one?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #52
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

i called around to 4 different places in Germany yesterday pretending to be a young budding M2 buyer and each of them told me the same, the LCI will not be this year as they have released the price list already, i called Munich, leipzig, frankfurt and hamburg.

of course they could just be lying, but the replies were very similar, the CS next year is all i was told
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #53
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

So there is high probability that F22/23 gets LCI this year with it's B58, M2 stays the same until 03/2018 and then M2 CS comes with S55 as N55 does not meet EU 6c emissions norms coming in 09/2018?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #54
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
If buying many, many cars has taught me anything it's that dealers are often the last to know about their own brands upcoming changes.
It's a little more subtle: dealers may know more than they are prepared to tell you. Let's not forget that they're running a business with the main goal to sell you a car and subsequently maintain it. They prefer to get your signature for an order right now rather than the uncertainty of the future.

Remaining vague about a 'possible' facelift/LCI 'someday in the future', while the dealer perfectly knows that it's on its way, offers a better chance for an imminent sale. As long as an LCI is not officially confirmed by the manufacturer, they can perfectly shrug their shoulders when asked.

Actually, it's a trick of the trade applicable to all products and services.

Of course, from an ethical point of view, it's more questionable. Personally, I'd appreciate a dealer telling me what he really knows. If maintenance matters to a dealer, sincerity can pay off in the long run.
      01-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #55
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Enquired at a dealership and was given a 2 month delivery date estimate.

Personally, I think most dealers are aware of the incoming LCI and are additionally incentivised by BMW to sell the remaining MY2017 models.

Traditionally M cars have never witnessed an engine upgrade with the LCI program but I wouldn't be too surprised if they moved on to the b58 engine.

Waiting an additional 6 months for a marginally better car is a difficult choice. If you raise the issue at the dealership and manage to get a significant discount I would definitely consider it.

EDIT: Models = Produced cars, lost in translation

Last edited by Dav3; 01-20-2017 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #56
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

What remaining models? Huh
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #57
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i just got off the phone to my dealer, and said on his list there are no updates for the M2 this year, only the 2 series will receive an LCI, even when i asked him over and over he said he highly doubts this as there will only be the CS if anything.
fact: dealers don't know anything.

one time I went to a dealership after getting an invitation saying that one specific car will be there. I asked every salesperson including the GM if the car is there. they had no idea, said to me "that car isn't supposed to be here for another 2 month sir". before leaving, I walked around to their garage and there it was. Getting prepped. service manager said it was there since early morning for the invited customers to see.

if you want to know the truth, you'll find out much more by researching reputable forums like bimmerpost.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #58
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
There might be no M2 LCI at all, just new version next year 03/2018 with S55. BMW released price list in Germany effective from 03/2017 and there is just minor 500 EUR price bump - and revised service packages.

If that's true then everybody is content (current and future owners) and no sudden drop in value for anybody. Just a 2 year production run of a magnificent car for everybody that wants to own one.
I don't read German but it looks like BMW is just revising the same MY17 M2 ordering guide that they released in May 2016 because of a price increase.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #59
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's a little more subtle: dealers may know more than they are prepared to tell you. Let's not forget that they're running a business with the main goal to sell you a car and subsequently maintain it. They prefer to get your signature for an order right now rather than the uncertainty of the future.

Remaining vague about a 'possible' facelift/LCI 'someday in the future', while the dealer perfectly knows that it's on its way, offers a better chance for an imminent sale. As long as an LCI is not officially confirmed by the manufacturer, they can perfectly shrug their shoulders when asked.

Actually, it's a trick of the trade applicable to all products and services.

Of course, from an ethical point of view, it's more questionable. Personally, I'd appreciate a dealer telling me what he really knows. If maintenance matters to a dealer, sincerity can pay off in the long run.
Agreed. An even more gross example of this sort of gamesmanship around waiting, in my experience, was when the M2 first came out, and dealer after dealer tried to get me to buy an M235i NOW, and "put an MPE on it," because they couldn't tell me when I could get an M2 and, after all, that would be "close enough" to the M2. Then, when they figured out that this was simply not going to happen in my case, they switched to happy talk about how I was surely going to get an M2 in the "next round"--so they could keep my deposit and get a sale out of me eventually.

Neither approach worked. I did not get an M235i, and I did not get an M2 from any dealer with whom I had made an advanced deposit.

If it's headlights and taillights for LCI (if LCI happens at all in 2018 models), I would not wait, so long as there aren't other financial issues that favor waiting (such as an expiring lease on another car that times better with the LCI release). This is a great car that you need to drive asap
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #60
BimmerTheGreek
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, e36 m3, mkV VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=901686

"* F22/F23/F87 LCI is indeed next year for MY 2018 (calendar year 2017). Don't expect major changes, this looks to be a very mild refresh."

I would expect LED headlights and taillights only. Maybe a new color - that's it. The body panels will remain the same so you can retrofit the new lights with some coding if you really really want them. No engine changes.

The M2 CS will have the S55 engine in MY19 but will likely cost exponentially more than a base M2 with probably lots of carbon fiber "go faster" bits.
New color please. BMW please give us a silver!

Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      01-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #61
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTheGreek View Post
New color please. BMW please give us a silver!

+1

Mine's already on its way but some kind of metallic silver would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #62
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
I don't read German but it looks like BMW is just revising the same MY17 M2 ordering guide that they released in May 2016 because of a price increase.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=7
Pricing is only valid until 31st Aug 2017... Angebot und Preise gültig bis 31. August 2017. Irrtümer und Änderungen (technischer/preislicher Art oder aufgrund Entfall) blei- ben vorbehalten.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #63
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
So there is high probability that ... M2 stays the same until 03/2018....
I would say zero probability:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
We now have the full MY2017 BMW NA production schedule (see below). And there are a number of interesting facts revealed by the dates.
  • The MY2017 2 Series and M2 end production in June 2017. This means that their LCI, which we know from prior information comes at the start of MY2018, will be from July 2017.

[img]http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...mentid=1538809[/img]
[img]http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...mentid=1538810[/img]
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...03&postcount=1

This is already posted above, but here it is again since it's mentioned in mkoesel's pots I quote above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
This thread contains the information about future production plans compiled by me from various leaks within BMW organization.

This top post is now continuously updated: everything that becomes official is deleted, new research is added.

Upcoming new models:

- These are just US market models, EU is simply too varied to type in all combinations.

2018 F22/F23/F87 2er/M2 LCI - July 2017
- 230i
- M240i
- M2

November 2016
(#notmypresident edition)
* The next M5, X5M, and X6M will all get the same engine, S63B44T4. Note that the latest production iteration of this engine is T2. My best guess for the reasons for skipping T3 is that T3 did exist, but the engineers went further and made a still better version.
* F22/F23/F87 LCI is indeed next year for MY 2018 (calendar year 2017). Don't expect major changes, this looks to be a very mild refresh.

Actually, I know that the last couple of months y'all have been waiting for something else. Well, your prayers have finally been answered: I can confirm that M2 CS will differ from the regular M2 in exactly the way you wanted. Though it'll be slightly detuned compared to M3/M4, to 400hp. M2 CS is MY2019, coming in calendar year 2018.

December 2016
* Despite recent rumors, there will be an 8 GC. For starters, there will be the same 840i, 850i, and non-US 830d and 840d as with G14 and G15.
* i8 LCI should add ~15hp.
* Did I say "M2 CS" in my previous update? I meant "M2 Competition," of course. Sorry.
About the S55-equipped M2: it's actually unclear, what it'll get as the official name. There are "M2 CS", "M2 Cs", and "M2 Competition" mentioned. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But even if it's the latter, it won't be the equivalent of M2 with ZCP: remember, it's a totally different engine, not an ECU reflash like ZCP does. And yes, in the US it will be MY2019.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1

I don't know what's going on in this thread, but it seems to be pretty off track from OP's question.
      01-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #64
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davgia View Post
Traditionally M cars have never witnessed an engine upgrade with the LCI program but I wouldn't be too surprised if they moved on to the b58 engine.
E36 M3 S50 ->S50 B32
E36/7 Z3M S50 -> S54

It's happened. It can happen again.
Appreciate 2
Dav3946.50
      01-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #65
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

What does the 3/2017 price bump (and minimal changes) have to do with the likelihood of an LCI in 2018? I don't see how the former implies the latter isn't happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #66
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
What does the 3/2017 price bump (and minimal changes) have to do with the likelihood of an LCI in 2018? I don't see how the former implies the latter isn't happening.
I was just asking, you guys have more experience regarding what BMW does than me.
Appreciate 0