First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Anyone know how the Eibachs compare to the Macht Scnhell lowering springs?
Also looking for advice on this. Can't decide on which to go with.
I've been advised that Eibach is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #244
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
so.. after a couple of weeks here's my final thought:

Don't get this or any other spring kit to go over the oem shock absorbers.

Went for a spirited mountain driving and the car is "jumping" over every road bump when turning uphill... the reduced travel of the shock absorber is causing this.

Same goes when on the highway, at high speed the car is really uncomfortable and jumps without any dampening.

In addition to all of this, when turning the wheel I can feel a squeaking noise coming from the front suspension. At first I thought it was the strut nut, but after re-torquing it nothing changed. I suspect is the bump stop which is touching somewhere due to the strut being more compressed than usual (this problem has been encountered between several other users).

The oem shocks are meant to be working at a very specific height and putting this (or other brand) springs just messes all up. It has been reported that the oem shocks start to leak after few months with lowering springs, not my case but I'm not willing to risk it.

Sure the car looks cool but if you're looking for a proper solution to live with a lowered car my suggestion is to go with a full coilover kit rather than only springs.

Going back to stock this week. Money wasted and lesson learned.
Appreciate 4
      06-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #245
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post

Went for a spirited mountain driving and the car is "jumping" over every road bump when turning uphill... the reduced travel of the shock absorber is causing this.

Same goes when on the highway, at high speed the car is really uncomfortable and jumps without any dampening.

In addition to all of this, when turning the wheel I can feel a squeaking noise coming from the front suspension. At first I thought it was the strut nut, but after re-torquing it nothing changed. I suspect is the bump stop which is touching somewhere due to the strut being more compressed than usual (this problem has been encountered between several other users).

The oem shocks are meant to be working at a very specific height and putting this (or other brand) springs just messes all up. It has been reported that the oem shocks start to leak after few months with lowering springs, not my case but I'm not willing to risk it.

Sure the car looks cool but if you're looking for a proper solution to live with a lowered car my suggestion is to go with a full coilover kit rather than only springs.

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #246
NashvilleM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Comp.

I feel the same as what was said above. I have Macht Schnell springs which are very similar and they definitely do not feel perfectly dampened. Daily driving is fine but you can notice it during very spirited driving.

Not to mention, I have a knocking noise on the driver side front wheel which might be a bad strut...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #247
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleM2 View Post
I feel the same as what was said above. I have Macht Schnell springs which are very similar and they definitely do not feel perfectly dampened. Daily driving is fine but you can notice it during very spirited driving.

Not to mention, I have a knocking noise on the driver side front wheel which might be a bad strut...
Good feedback guys, I bought the KW H.A.S. kit and was planning to install that soon. Wonder if I will have the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:19 AM   #248
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425M2 View Post
Good feedback guys, I bought the KW H.A.S. kit and was planning to install that soon. Wonder if I will have the same issue?
Theoretically if you get the full coilover kit you'll have dedicated struts designed to be working at lower height so the driving should be better than just going for springs...

Beware of install mistakes cause they are known to be causing lots of weird noises.. lots of material on this on the m3/m4 forums but also here.
Main mistakes are:

- rubber booth not installed properly,
- spring not seated properly against its stop
- bolts not torqued to the proper specs or not torqued at all
- bolts not torqued with the suspension under load.

If you're planning to do this, check (or have your shop to check) the bmw tis for proper installation technique and torque values. My advice: leave the car as it is, drives just fine

PS: I had the shop to put back stock springs but still experience all these weird noises bad installation is the cause. Now I'm DIY to find a fix using the points above

Last edited by Alby_416; 06-21-2018 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #249
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Does anyone have any post install feedback on the Dinan adjustable spring kit? I believe they use linear springs (don't quote me on this). Wonder if it makes a difference.

I'm about to have it installed. Above feedback makes me think I should have either left it alone or gotten the full M Perf suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #250
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:

Interesting. I have the Eibachs and don't feel that the car gets unsettled. I absolutely understand that stock dampers were setup for the longer stock springs and there can be premature wear with shorter springs that lead to harshness. But with about 1k miles on stock and 2k miles on eibach, I can't say they perform significantly differently
JeremyDFW458.00
Smiler1.50
      06-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #251
NashvilleM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Comp.

You can normally only feel it during spirited driving. I think a big cause of this is non-linear springs as we as not being dampened properly. On the street they work and feel great. I think this will happen with most springs that are not set up properly for the strut. Coilovers are always the best route.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #252
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

No funny noises for me (over 3000km so far) but the car is def jumpier but I just attributed that to the springs. It's stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #253
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback!

Coils would be the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #254
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleM2 View Post

Fair play to you both as it's rare to read someone fessing up to a sub-optimal "upgrade"

FWIW, I test drove an Eibach sprung M2 during my search for a used/2nd hand M2. I'd driven a number of cars before/after and Eibach car felt to me as you describe.

I put it down to stock setup being already very competent as opposed to the Eibach springs per se. I was fortunate enough to test drive a dealer demo car with BMW M Perf coilovers. Noticeable improvement over stock and night & day difference to the good compared to Eibach car.

I bought a year old M2 and drove it for 6 months. 4 months ago I fitted oem M Perf c/overs and -30min camber correction hubs - no regrets as DD and 3 off TD's todate.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #255
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Theoretically if you get the full coilover kit you'll have dedicated struts designed to be working at lower height so the driving should be better than just going for springs...

Beware of install mistakes cause they are known to be causing lots of weird noises.. lots of material on this on the m3/m4 forums but also here.
Main mistakes are:

- rubber booth not installed properly,
- spring not seated properly against its stop
- bolts not torqued to the proper specs or not torqued at all
- bolts not torqued with the suspension under load.

If you're planning to do this, check (or have your shop to check) the bmw tis for proper installation technique and torque values. My advice: leave the car as it is, drives just fine

PS: I had the shop to put back stock springs but still experience all these weird noises bad installation is the cause. Now I'm DIY to find a fix using the points above
Mate can you elaborate in bit more details how you manage to change your opinion about these springs for 180 degree or completely?!

Don't get me wrong, but I just went through your previous post and you were clearly "SUPER" happy about them and how everything is in harmony then you through in this response which sounds to me like someone had just a bad day.

Personally, I pulled the trigger on these a week ago after months and months of research and reading other peoples opinion how M performance coilover are stiffer than these springs, how people with M4 on HAS kit had issues.

Thanks for your review!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #256
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Mate can you elaborate in bit more details how you manage to change your opinion about these springs for 180 degree or completely?!

Don't get me wrong, but I just went through your previous post and you were clearly "SUPER" happy about them and how everything is in harmony then you through in this response which sounds to me like someone had just a bad day.

Personally, I pulled the trigger on these a week ago after months and months of research and reading other peoples opinion how M performance coilover are stiffer than these springs, how people with M4 on HAS kit had issues.

Thanks for your review!
Sure man,

I simply changed my opinion cause at first I didn't encounter any of the issues I described, which started appearing only later hence why I edited my messages.

The initial impressions were really good! Perfect drop (and it still is), a bit more stiffness during daily use and I felt the car a bit more planted during turns. No rubbing and very aggressive look overall.

However, after few days, issues started to arise:

1) Weird creaking noises started to develop but this was then attributed to a bad install by the shop I used. They said at first: "springs needs to settle in, the noise will disappear after few days". I though "what the hell it kinda makes sense" so I kept on driving.
Long story short, the top mounts bearings are damaged and need replacing. I can only speculate on the reason but I suspect that the springs were not seated properly plus an improper use of a impact wrench which is a no-no on some suspensions components.

2) I went for a long drive around some mountain roads and really explored the new setup; when you drive fast, the car is not in balance anymore and you can definitely feel it "skipping" going through the hairpins due to the reduced shock travel - I didn't notice this at the beginning cause I only drove around town for the first couple of weeks -

I had the 1M coupé before and I drove it hard many times around the same twisty roads; did the same with the M2 before going with these springs so I know how a car should behave in these scenarios.

Anyhow I would still go back to the stock setup even if I hadn't experience any weird noises. Why? Because the car is not damped correctly and I simply think this springs setups ruin the already great handling of the car.

You want more control over (the already amazing) stock suspension setup? My advice is to go for a full coilover kit. "Cheaping out" on a car like this was a big mistake for me.

Are you looking just for a "stance look" and don't care about how the car handles? These spring kits are a risk, but they might be the right choice for you...

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #257
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Hmm. It may be too early to tell yet as I just had them installed last week, but so far I've had the opposite impression of Dinan HAS. The car actually seems noticeably more compliant.

Softest lowering springs/coilovers https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1331360
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:30 AM   #258
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Sure man,

I simply changed my opinion cause at first I didn't encounter any of the issues I described, which started appearing only later hence why I edited my messages.

The initial impressions were really good! Perfect drop (and it still is), a bit more stiffness during daily use and I felt the car a bit more planted during turns. No rubbing and very aggressive look overall.

However, after few days, issues started to arise:

1) Weird creaking noises started to develop but this was then attributed to a bad install by the shop I used. They said at first: "springs needs to settle in, the noise will disappear after few days". I though "what the hell it kinda makes sense" so I kept on driving.
Long story short, the top mounts bearings are damaged and need replacing. I can only speculate on the reason but I suspect that the springs were not seated properly plus an improper use of a impact wrench which is a no-no on some suspensions components.

2) I went for a long drive around some mountain roads and really explored the new setup; when you drive fast, the car is not in balance anymore and you can definitely feel it "skipping" going through the hairpins due to the reduced shock travel - I didn't notice this at the beginning cause I only drove around town for the first couple of weeks -

I had the 1M coupé before and I drove it hard many times around the same twisty roads; did the same with the M2 before going with these springs so I know how a car should behave in these scenarios.

Anyhow I would still go back to the stock setup even if I hadn't experience any weird noises. Why? Because the car is not damped correctly and I simply think this springs setups ruin the already great handling of the car.

You want more control over (the already amazing) stock suspension setup? My advice is to go for a full coilover kit. "Cheaping out" on a car like this was a big mistake for me.

Are you looking just for a "stance look" and don't care about how the car handles? These spring kits are a risk, but they might be the right choice for you...

Hope this helps
First of all, thanks for sharing your experience once again.

The "skipping" part that you mentioned I'm experiencing it a lot on the curvy roads with uneven surface.

Personally, that's why I was looking to build a confidence a little bit by going with progressive Eibach springs which are bit stiffer at the back.

I will share my experience in 2-3 weeks time when I get the springs, do alignment and do couple of runs.

Honestly, I always drive the car at 80% of it's limit and never near 90% on the public road, and my primary goal was to build mid corner speed and confidence.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #259
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Minute 2:14

This confirms my experience with these lowering springs... wish I'd seen this video before installing them

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #260
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I mean, what do people expect? installing lowering springs on shocks designed for longer travel will definitely reduce ride quality especially when pushed to the limit.

Like some others have said, if your main priority is to lower the car and drive it around town, then maybe this is for you.

For anything more, go with a coilovers or at least a spring and shock combo.
Appreciate 1
JeremyDFW458.00
      08-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #261
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

Just my first two cents about eibach prokit.

The drop is perfect.

The ride comfort which was my biggest concern when regular driving in town, and on bit potty roads with normal speed of 30-60 miles is better than stock spring.

As there is less travel, and the car is more planted when going straight forward.

On the highways and when changing directing when speed is above 70+ miles on hours there is indeed more responsiveness and car is way more planted which gives a lot of confidence compared to stock.

Personally, I never pushed my M2 beyond lets say 70% of its handling abilities, and I was looking for bit more confidence in that segment.

When I go 100%, it's only on the local track which is very leveled.

You folks who are against these spring upgrades, you might be right that these shocks might not like these spring on uneven roads and pushing car really hard in the corners.

But personally for someone who never had a "balls" to go all out crazy on the public roads, this springs are great upgrade over stock in look and handling!
Appreciate 1
JeremyDFW458.00
      08-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #262
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Glad I read this thread. Getting full coils.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #263
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Here's mine, 12mm front 10mm back, eibach. Quite happy so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #264
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKM2 View Post
Not too stiff, not too low. Love my Eibach pro kit. Thank you Eibach!!
Now preparing for SEMA. I'll post more picture later.

Stock vs Eibach pro kit
Sweet Baby Jesus... That looks really gorgeous and I can't wait to fit the Pro-kit on my 3.5 month old 2018 M2 after deciding not to sell it and not to slap on some KW V3s for the time being.

Proud owner of Amelia & Rae. Yes, I named my vehicles
2018 BMW M2 LCI (Wedge Performance Tuned + Pure Turbo Stg 2 Upgrade)
2019 Audi RS4 Advant
Appreciate 0