BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Instrument cluster questions?

02-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Instrument cluster questions?

Okay, as some of you have read I will be picking up my M2C Saturday. I have never owned a BMW before. I have never even seen the M2C in person. All of my questions will be answered after I take delivery of the car, but I am a curious and not so patient person, so...

I have watched pretty much every review on this car that I have been able to find, some of them more than once. But, I have noticed that 99% of the reviews only concern themselves with how fun the car is to drive. Nothing about the actual features of the car.

By watching some of the reviews I saw it has a sport screen view that shows HP and Torque output. Sounds like a cool feature and you can program one of your radio station memory buttons to that screen. Also saw that the tire pressure monitoring screen also shows the individual tire temperatures, now that is pretty cool to me and would be very useful on track days. So after this long winded intro, does this car have a boost gauge anywhere? Also what is the 0-20 gauge at the bottom of the RPM cluster? Is that a boost gauge? Feel free to fill me in on any other little known tidbits about this car.

I appreciate you bestowing your vast M2C knowledge upon a humble BMW newbie.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

The gauge under the RPM cluster essentially shows how much fuel is being delivered to the engine under current throttle.
You can turn this off. A lot of people don't like it for some reason. I like having it. It's nice to get an idea of how much fuel you're using at a given moment. It also reminds me of the E30/older BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you, that solves that mystery.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
The gauge under the RPM cluster essentially shows how much fuel is being delivered to the engine under current throttle.
You can turn this off. A lot of people don't like it for some reason. I like having it. It's nice to get an idea of how much fuel you're using at a given moment. It also reminds me of the E30/older BMWs.
I think its neat, but the M2 is not being driven for fuel efficiency. You can also change this display via idrive to show the steering/servo, Efficient / Sport and shift speed setting currently being used. I have it set to this, and has a lot more utility to me to know how aggressively I am set up at any moment.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I was in a similar boat, had seen a couple M2C's in person, but never drove one until I flew up to the dealer to sign lol.

The mpg gauge is dumb, change it for your steering and the "chassis" settings. The sport cluster is cool, but not very accurate. It's a cool show off trick. Sadly no boost gauge.

Some first things I would suggest:
BMS Clutch Stop - helps with the clutch throw if you're 6MT
BMC High Flow Filters - Remove the factory air filters and the factory carbon filters, and you can ACTUALLY hear the turbos spooling. It's fun, and should net some extra power.
ASD Bypass Harness - ASD (active sound design) pumps fake engine noises into the cabin. On Sport+ it is loud inside. If you like the noise, then ignore this. Otherwise, get the harness and enjoy hearing the REAL engine noise.
Unplug Center Speaker - The factory sound system is honestly very bad, but unplugging the speaker behind the iDrive screen helps a TON.
Supplemental Door Seals - This helps cut down on some tire and road noise, and quiets down the cabin more. Coupled with the ASD bypass and unplugging the center speaker, the cabin is transformed.
Appreciate 2
msdss497.50
      02-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Some first things I would suggest:
BMS Clutch Stop - helps with the clutch throw if you're 6MT
BMC High Flow Filters - Remove the factory air filters and the factory carbon filters, and you can ACTUALLY hear the turbos spooling. It's fun, and should net some extra power.
ASD Bypass Harness - ASD (active sound design) pumps fake engine noises into the cabin. On Sport+ it is loud inside. If you like the noise, then ignore this. Otherwise, get the harness and enjoy hearing the REAL engine noise.
Unplug Center Speaker - The factory sound system is honestly very bad, but unplugging the speaker behind the iDrive screen helps a TON.
Supplemental Door Seals - This helps cut down on some tire and road noise, and quiets down the cabin more. Coupled with the ASD bypass and unplugging the center speaker, the cabin is transformed.
Thank you for the input.
BMS Clutch Stop - Should be delivered today and I plan on taking it with me when I pick up the car Saturday to install it right away.
BMC High flow air filters - I will look into these, but will definitely be changing out the factory filters.
ASD Bypass Harness - On my list, but waiting to see how it sounds to me.
Unplug Center Speaker - On my list of things to try out.
Supplemental Door Seals - On my list. But waiting to see how it sounds.

I also have a BMS oil catch can being delivered and I will install it this weekend.

So it appears I am on the right track with my research. Some of the stuff I am waiting until I have the car and have drove it a bit to see what and if I want to change it.

What/where are the factory carbon filters?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
BMS Clutch Stop - Should be delivered today and I plan on taking it with me when I pick up the car Saturday to install it right away.
BMC High flow air filters - I will look into these, but will definitely be changing out the factory filters.
ASD Bypass Harness - On my list, but waiting to see how it sounds to me.
Unplug Center Speaker - On my list of things to try out.
Supplemental Door Seals - On my list. But waiting to see how it sounds.

I also have a BMS oil catch can being delivered and I will install it this weekend.
What/where are the factory carbon filters?
Awesome awesome. A catch can is also on my list, haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. And for the clutch stop, you gotta lay WAYYY down and get your head pretty much under the pedals to see the stock white clutch stop. Removing the panel is not necessary.

The carbon filters are in the air boxes. If you take out all the torx screws, the box splits in half. The factory filters just drop into the bottom half, and the carbon filters clip into the top half. Just use a small flathead and undo the latches, and they fall out. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds easy enough.

Any reason for the BMC filters over say...K&N? I haven't looked at either, just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

One gauge not mentioned yet is the BC button on the turn signal stalk cycles thru trip computer readouts but also an oil temp gauge. This is important to make sure its up to operating temp if wanting to run the car hard.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is all good info, keep it coming... And thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Cool random features:
You can rip cds directly to the cars internal hard drive. MP3 files can also be copied in this way.

Those shortcut buttons can be programmed to do almost any function in the infotainment, I have button 1 set to have the navigation system take me home. Button 6 immediately plays initial D music.

The idrive wheel is also a touchpad

Annoying stuff:
The car defaults to Eco engine, tcs on and sport steering whenever you turn off the car, but also when you leave M mode. So I could be driving with eco throttle full tcs and comfort steering, then switch to my M1 mode to go into MDM mode with sport throttle and comfort steering. BUT when I get out of M1 mode, the steering goes back to sport instead of comfort, because sport is default.

You can’t display oil temp and have a digital Speedo displayed at the same time.

There is no coolant temp or boost gauges.

The battery is in the trunk and the trunk doesn’t open without power.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Those shortcut buttons can be programmed to do almost any function in the infotainment, I have button 1 set to have the navigation system take me home. Button 6 immediately plays initial D music.
The most underappreciated feature offered by BMW. I wish my Audi and Merc had this. Here is my programming:

1. Phone Book search
2. Wife number
3. Kid number
4. Kid number
5. Bluetooth audio
6. Audio Presets
7. Tire Pressure Display
8. Performance Display (HP, Torque)
Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
wibmag0.00
      02-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
The most underappreciated feature offered by BMW. I wish my Audi and Merc had this. Here is my programming:

1. Phone Book search
2. Wife number
3. Kid number
4. Kid number
5. Bluetooth audio
6. Audio Presets
7. Tire Pressure Display
8. Performance Display (HP, Torque)
I like the set up. I would change a few, but for the most part That looks like how I would set it up!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
Conissah
Major
Rep

I didn't know you could program them. I have my buttons set to satellite stations, might have to look into this.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #15
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool random features:
You can rip cds directly to the cars internal hard drive. MP3 files can also be copied in this way.

The idrive wheel is also a touchpad

Annoying stuff:
The car defaults to Eco engine, tcs on and sport steering whenever you turn off the car, but also when you leave M mode. So I could be driving with eco throttle full tcs and comfort steering, then switch to my M1 mode to go into MDM mode with sport throttle and comfort steering. BUT when I get out of M1 mode, the steering goes back to sport instead of comfort, because sport is default.

You can’t display oil temp and have a digital Speedo displayed at the same time.

There is no coolant temp or boost gauges.

The battery is in the trunk and the trunk doesn’t open without power.
All good info, thank you. Being a data guy I am going to miss coolant temp and boost gauges. I may look into adding a boost gauge. I saw they have ones that go in the air vent and display different info. I think they were P3 BMW gauges or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I didn't know you could program them. I have my buttons set to satellite stations, might have to look into this.
Best feature ever! Try it out. Its almost as good as the M1 and M2 button.
Appreciate 3
Conissah1574.50
Moflow2484.50
      02-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #17
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

I've used all of the presets for radio and phone numbers, but one cool aspect of it is that if you hover your finger over any of the buttons the system will display what that button will do after about half a second. I may have to change some presets to displays. Thanks for the idea BigKutta!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
All good info, thank you. Being a data guy I am going to miss coolant temp and boost gauges. I may look into adding a boost gauge. I saw they have ones that go in the air vent and display different info. I think they were P3 BMW gauges or something like that?
I've definitely seen a couple of slick vent mounted gauge setups in the M2C, though I didn't notice if they were displaying boost pressure or not.

One piece of advice if you're a data minded person: Don't look too hard at the sport displays. They're basically the visual equivalent of fake engine sounds. The more you look at them and think about them, the more you'll be like "what the hell BMW?"
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've definitely seen a couple of slick vent mounted gauge setups in the M2C, though I didn't notice if they were displaying boost pressure or not.

One piece of advice if you're a data minded person: Don't look too hard at the sport displays. They're basically the visual equivalent of fake engine sounds. The more you look at them and think about them, the more you'll be like "what the hell BMW?"
Not affiliated at all, just shopping...

P3 V3 Gauge Features
Plug and Play Install - plugs directly into your OBD2 port (want to keep your OBD2 port open? hard-wire harness kit also available)
OEM Integration - installs in your vent for a sleek install while retaining air flow
Versatility - read boost from multiple OEM sensors through OBD2 port or using optional P3 analog boost sensor
Code Reading/Clearing - read and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) on the fly
P3 V3 Gauge Readouts (all readouts can be individually configured to read in either Imperial or Metric units)
Boost (through OBD2 port using OEM sensors or with P3 analog boost sensor)
Coolant temperature
Air/Fuel ratio (can be read in AFR or Lambda)
Vehicle speed (can be calibrated in 1% increments from -9% to +20%)
Intake air temperature
Throttle angle
Ignition timing
Engine RPM
Exhaust gas temperature
Battery voltage
Programmable shift light
Analog input 1 (brown wire) can allow gauge to read any 0-5 volt linear output sensor
Analog input 2 (blue wire) can allow gauge to read any 0-5 volt linear output sensor
Acceleration timers (0-60mph/0-100mph/60-130mph)
Braking timers (60-0mph/100-0mph)
OEM Vent Option
We install the display in an OEM vent to make your install even easier
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #20
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:

I suggest the P3 gauge. Mounts in the driver's vent (only 1/2 of it) and gives coolant temp, boost, EGT, IAT, oil temp, 0-60 and a few other I think. Displays one at a time.

p3cars.com
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I suggest the P3 gauge. Mounts in the driver's vent (only 1/2 of it) and gives coolant temp, boost, EGT, IAT, oil temp, 0-60 and a few other I think. Displays one at a time.

p3cars.com
Ha, beat you too it. lol Very good suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
biomechaniod
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Also... a bit of advice... don't EVER touch the plastic "glass" on the instrument cluster. It somehow scratches VERY easily. I personally think it's a design deficiency. I used a very fine, soft, optical camera lens cloth to wipe off the dust that collected on it. I've detailed every other car with it but it left many visible scratches on the M2 panel. There is some sort of anti-glare texture on there and it's very fragile and easy to mar.
Appreciate 0