BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition discontinued mid 2021 ?

01-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #23
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I honestly believe that BMW will make the G series M2 a RS3/CLA fighter. So basically, AWD, turbo 4 or 6, Auto transmission. I think it will be drastically different than what we are used to with the F series cars. I hope i'm wrong, but to me that makes the most sense.
      01-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
One word of advice as someone whose wife had a leased 228i before her M3 that we got a great lease deal on, if you want to get out of it, do it soon and when the negative equity you have in it is still reasonable to come out of pocket on or roll in to the M2C (or try to do a lease takeover and have someone else take it off your hands).

The reason I say this is, despite the amazing deal we got on it, she was virtually $5-14k under on that car the entire lease term (it was honestly cheaper to just hold on to the 228 and have 3 cars for 9 months then to try and trade it in or sell it). They lease well but the used market value on it is total shit.

If you don't carefully calculate this, you will be keeping that bloody thing until the very end of the lease because of the ever increasing hit you will take trying to get rid of it otherwise. Sooner the better (if negative equity is reasonable for you to cover). It sucks, but it's the name of the game.

EDIT: Also, my post in the above is objectively terrible financial advice. That being said, love for cars is not rational or logical, it's emotional. If you wanted to be rational and be financially sound, you'd drive a 7-10 year old Honda that's paid off. So take my above with a grain of salt and do what makes the most sense to you.
Its funny you mention this because i was actually trying to get into an M2C about 2 weeks ago. The lease is still fairly new and my negative on it was only going to be about 2000$. However only one dealership was willing to give me a trade in value that close to my payoff and unfortunetly they were also the one dealership who tried their hardest to swindle me. It left a poor taste in my mouth and made me never want to deal with them again. Another dealership who was willing to give me 2% under MSRP would only take the lease trade in at a lower number which would have made my negative 6000$. At that point it would have been cheaper to go with the original dealership...which im sure they were aware of.

So at this point i figure my best bet is to wait and yes maybe i'll deal with having 2 car payments for a little bit just so i dont have to deal with a ton of negative equity.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Quote:
One word of advice as someone whose wife had a leased 228i before her M3 that we got a great lease deal on, if you want to get out of it, do it soon and when the negative equity you have in it is still reasonable to come out of pocket on or roll in to the M2C (or try to do a lease takeover and have someone else take it off your hands).

The reason I say this is, despite the amazing deal we got on it, she was virtually $5-14k under on that car the entire lease term (it was honestly cheaper to just hold on to the 228 and have 3 cars for 9 months then to try and trade it in or sell it). They lease well but the used market value on it is total shit.

If you don't carefully calculate this, you will be keeping that bloody thing until the very end of the lease because of the ever increasing hit you will take trying to get rid of it otherwise. Sooner the better (if negative equity is reasonable for you to cover). It sucks, but it's the name of the game.

EDIT: Also, my post in the above is objectively terrible financial advice. That being said, love for cars is not rational or logical, it's emotional. If you wanted to be rational and be financially sound, you'd drive a 7-10 year old Honda that's paid off. So take my above with a grain of salt and do what makes the most sense to you.
Its funny you mention this because i was actually trying to get into an M2C about 2 weeks ago. The lease is still fairly new and my negative on it was only going to be about 2000$. However only one dealership was willing to give me a trade in value that close to my payoff and unfortunetly they were also the one dealership who tried their hardest to swindle me. It left a poor taste in my mouth and made me never want to deal with them again. Another dealership who was willing to give me 2% under MSRP would only take the lease trade in at a lower number which would have made my negative 6000$. At that point it would have been cheaper to go with the original dealership...which im sure they were aware of.

So at this point i figure my best bet is to wait and yes maybe i'll deal with having 2 car payments for a little bit just so i dont have to deal with a ton of negative equity.
Or check with Vroom. They usually offer higher than a dealer will on trade in. And you just write a check for the difference in negative equity (if it's reasonable of course). They don't require you to buy something from them. Have used them on two cars in the past and they consistently beat out dealer trade offers.

Also if $2k negative is serious I would write a check take it and run. It's only going to get bigger from there.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #26
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Or check with Vroom. They usually offer higher than a dealer will on trade in. And you just write a check for the difference in negative equity (if it's reasonable of course). They don't require you to buy something from them. Have used them on two cars in the past and they consistently beat out dealer trade offers.

Also if $2k negative is serious I would write a check take it and run. It's only going to get bigger from there.
Thanks for the advice on Vroom, i just submitted a check to see what they would quote me. The 2000$ negative is serious, but only if i trade up, and i dont want to give them my business after they quoted me such a ridiculous price.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #27
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I honestly believe that BMW will make the G series M2 a RS3/CLA fighter. So basically, AWD, turbo 4 or 6, Auto transmission. I think it will be drastically different than what we are used to with the F series cars. I hope i'm wrong, but to me that makes the most sense.
My thinking as well. The G80/82 will be AWD, expect the G87 to get the big brother 'hand me down' treatment again. Personally not opposed to this, the AWD in the G80/82 is from the M5 which is sport tuned and RWD biased. In the M5 you can decouple front drive and switch to RWD mode. Expect the same feature in the new M3/4. I can see why BMW would make this move, primarily for marketing. Otherwise Audi and Tesla would mop up the floor in 0-60 times against a RWD M2 and that not only hurts sales, but also bros bragging rights. It gets all so messy once your introduce bruised feelings; see the early posts of the M2 forum when the M2C was announced. It was a bloodbath of butthurt.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5363.50
      01-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #28
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I can see why BMW would make this move, primarily for marketing. Otherwise Audi and Tesla would mop up the floor in 0-60 times against a RWD M2 and that not only hurts sales, but also bros bragging rights. It gets all so messy once your introduce bruised feelings; see the early posts of the M2 forum when the M2C was announced. It was a bloodbath of butthurt.

That was my thinking, market share in the segment.
If the G series is FWD with a FWD biased "AWD" system similar to Quattro or 4Matic, then i honestly believe that the M2 will share that system.
      01-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #29
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
If the G series is FWD with a FWD biased "AWD" system similar to Quattro or 4Matic, then i honestly believe that the M2 will share that system.
The 2 Series Gran Coupe is on the UKL platform and is FWD. It's an outlier however. The next gen 2 Series will be based off the CLAR platform which is either RWD or AWD. BMW has also confirmed the next gen 2 Series will remain RWD, see here.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #30
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

It's a bit of a gamble either way since there are so many unknowns.

I'd say the biggest argument for not waiting would be the S55 engine. The original M2 and the 1M both came with tuned versions of the standard BMW I6 that was in the 3-series at the time. The baby Ms never really got the "true" M engines until the M2 Comp. IF (and that's a big if) this trend continues, the M2 Comp might go down as being pretty special.

That said, the counter argument is that the B58, despite being a "normal" BMW I6 is pretty fucking fantastic. Even if that's what goes in the next generation M2 it will almost certainly be faster than the current M2 Comp. And there's always the chance BMW just says "screw it" and puts the S58 in there.

The next M2 will probably get a manual, but if you're absolutely hard core about it, the current gen is a sure thing.

Finally, i'd say the current gen looks pretty good. It's likely the next generation M2 would have less schnoz than the G series M3 looks like its going to get (less expensive car must mean less grille right?) but I do think there's a serious danger of the next car being bad to look at. There's also a good chance it will look amazing. We just don't know yet. It is likely however, that the next gen will grow just a tiny bit, as all cars get bigger and heavier generation to generation these days.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
alan7467128.00
filet.M2c782.50
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #31
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Yeah i reaally want the S55 engine. I test drove a M240i which has the B58, It was good and i enjoyed it. However priced at around 55k its hard for me to justify getting it when an M2C is only 4k away at MSRP and it comes with a fantastic engine, more power, a LSD, better suspension and way better looks. I have heard many good things about the B58 and the reliability it comes with as well as being able to be a beast of an engine. However the M2C with the S55 speaks to me in a way thats almost intoxicating.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #32
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah i reaally want the S55 engine. I test drove a M240i which has the B58, It was good and i enjoyed it. However priced at around 55k its hard for me to justify getting it when an M2C is only 4k away at MSRP and it comes with a fantastic engine, more power, a LSD, better suspension and way better looks. I have heard many good things about the B58 and the reliability it comes with as well as being able to be a beast of an engine. However the M2C with the S55 speaks to me in a way thats almost intoxicating.
Yeah, its those gorgeous curves and hips
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #33
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Yeah, its those gorgeous curves and hips
Yeah. It feels a little immature to admit it, but I love that the M2 is aggressively widebody in its styling.

Any widebody version of a car is automatically kind of cool in my book, but the M2 is just really obvious about it. It's more E30 M3 than it is 500E.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:33 AM   #34
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmmm, so basically if i want to have the current M2 Comp with the S55 engine i either have to buy the 2021 model (and possibly terminate my lease a bit soon) or i wait another year for 2023 and hope that the car looks as good if not better and has better performance for the same money.

I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California so i'm not sure if that makes things different or not.

As people who have owned more BMW's than i have (my first is a 2020 230i i started leasing in 2019), would you guys recommend i wait, or get the 2021 M2 C. I know theres no news on the new 2 series however just based on your own previous experience with BMW, have you noticed a pretty big increase between M models? I know the Competition is a step up from the M2 and with this news i'm not sure if i should wait for the new M2 C which i assume would come out in...2025? I dont know if i want to wait till i'm 40 to jump into an M2 competition and i dont know enough about BMW to know if the wait would be worth it.
I would wait until your lease is up and get a CPO'd M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #35
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
The hips on the M2 are the best part... Such a gorgeous car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #36
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiaogi View Post
I would wait until your lease is up and get a CPO'd M2C.
I thought about this. However for me, if i'm going to be spending money on a car, and one that i am choosing to keep as long as possible, i'm going to want it with exactly the options and specs and color that i want. This car is pretty desirable where i live and so finding a used one in the color and spec i want is already very difficult. As it currently stands there are only about 5 used M2C on the market where i am and none are in the configuration or color i want.

Buying new might be more expensive and will require more negotiations to get as low a price as possible, however it might also be the only way that i can get what i want.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #37
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but you can have someone assume your lease via Leaseswap/Leasetrader, etc. I did it with a 2015 M3 18 months into the 36 month lease, it was surprisingly easy.
      01-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #38
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but you can have someone assume your lease via Leaseswap/Leasetrader, etc. I did it with a 2015 M3 18 months into the 36 month lease, it was surprisingly easy.
How long did it take for the lease to get picked up? I attempted to do a lease swap a long time ago with swapalease on my Fiesta ST and i ended up just wasting 100$ on charges and noone picked it up. Now granted the car is not as desirable as an M3, however neither is my 230i.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #39
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
How long did it take for the lease to get picked up? I attempted to do a lease swap a long time ago with swapalease on my Fiesta ST and i ended up just wasting 100$ on charges and noone picked it up. Now granted the car is not as desirable as an M3, however neither is my 230i.
I had someone within 2 weeks of posting it.
      02-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Hmmm, so basically if i want to have the current M2 Comp with the S55 engine i either have to buy the 2021 model (and possibly terminate my lease a bit soon) or i wait another year for 2023 and hope that the car looks as good if not better and has better performance for the same money.

I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California so i'm not sure if that makes things different or not.

As people who have owned more BMW's than i have (my first is a 2020 230i i started leasing in 2019), would you guys recommend i wait, or get the 2021 M2 C. I know theres no news on the new 2 series however just based on your own previous experience with BMW, have you noticed a pretty big increase between M models? I know the Competition is a step up from the M2 and with this news i'm not sure if i should wait for the new M2 C which i assume would come out in...2025? I dont know if i want to wait till i'm 40 to jump into an M2 competition and i dont know enough about BMW to know if the wait would be worth it.
Why can't you just buy one in the lot in 2021? they make them until June 2021, they'll likely be sitting on lots longer than that. The g80 m3 will be coming up, there will be lightly used m2c cars for sale from people dumping them to move onto the g80 m3.

That said I'd get out of your lease early and get one now or a model year 2021 because life is too short to keep waiting on stuff.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      02-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #41
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

You need someone with a crystal ball to answer that one (or at least a product planner at BMW ).

The next gen M2 will be based on the CLAR platform (like the current Z4 and Supra) and will likely get the same/similar engine (a B engine a not an S engine).

I also doubt the next M2 will get an S58 engine as the conditions for the M2C wont be around (M3/4 are in retirement anyways so sales weaken, ie less in house competition and the B58 is good for emissions for a while).

So I would say go test drive a Supra, if you like the way it drives then maybe its worth waiting for the new M2.

Styling is anyones guess but will likely mimic the new M3/4.

Edit: the Competition badge is usually just small tweaks, its only the M2C that got a whole "new" engine with the competition moniker. As far as I know BMW has only ever heavily revised an M engine for 3 M cars E34 M5 which had a 3.6L and 3.8L inline 6, E36 M3 which had a 3.0L and 3.2L inline 6 and now the comp with the N55 and S55 motors. So this is the exception rather than the rule.
The B engine probably won't even be able to make the stock m2c numbers on paper. That's going to be an odd sell to people. Made in Mexico with less hp than the outgoing model.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #42
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They have confirmed several times now that it's rwd and mt option. DCT is dead, and zf 8 speed will be the auto option.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #43
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

I had a year remaining on my Mercedes lease when I bought my M2C. I could have waited and saved some dough. But that's also a year of fun I could be having in the M2C. I chose fun. Put my Merc on swapalease and offered a couple grand to take it over. Had 50-60 people contact me for it. First person to contact me ended up with it. Took a few months to transfer, as MBFS was slow, so I ate even more loss. But I don't care, life is short.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #44
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

You guys are scaring me with this AWD talk. Plan on keeping my M2 for a while, but would upgrade to a G series if the car tickles my fancy. However, auto and AWD I would definitely be out.

Long live 6MT/RWD!
Appreciate 0