BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Pre-LCI M2 Annoying PDC (Parking Distance Control) Alarm

08-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #1
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Question Pre-LCI M2 Annoying PDC (Parking Distance Control) Alarm

Pre-LCI F87 DCT (yes..., I wasn't lucky enough to find a non-pure MT), Build date Oct 2016, Australian version RHD.

It's an annoying issue that is well known. Basically, the symptom is that once you put the car in reverse and get close to obstacles, the PDC alarm keeping beeping, it won't stop until 1. put in N and stop the engine, power off 2. move forward to get out of it.

Recently 1 of my friend got a LCI F87 M2 Pure (manual, but with sunroof, how weird...). Anyway, he does not have the problem, once put in N, the PDC alarm stops.

I am wondering if there is a software update to the car (not sure if this is tranmission / drivetrain or infotainment system).

Also, another question is that has there ever been any ECU or DCT transmission program update since 2017? I have never brought the car back to dealer for service (use my trusted mechanic - do it together with him ;-). How to check? Thanks. I am getting an OBD to WiFi adapter and BimmerCode, hopefully this can read the data out.

Thanks in advance.
      08-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
This has been well discussed and resolved by swapping the parking switch / driving mode rocker from a standard two series. Look in the “navigation/ electronics” sub forum next time

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1345311
      08-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
Pre-LCI F87 DCT (yes..., I wasn't lucky enough to find a non-pure MT), Build date Oct 2016, Australian version RHD.

It's an annoying issue that is well known. Basically, the symptom is that once you put the car in reverse and get close to obstacles, the PDC alarm keeping beeping, it won't stop until 1. put in N and stop the engine, power off 2. move forward to get out of it.

Recently 1 of my friend got a LCI F87 M2 Pure (manual, but with sunroof, how weird...). Anyway, he does not have the problem, once put in N, the PDC alarm stops.

I am wondering if there is a software update to the car (not sure if this is tranmission / drivetrain or infotainment system).

Also, another question is that has there ever been any ECU or DCT transmission program update since 2017? I have never brought the car back to dealer for service (use my trusted mechanic - do it together with him ;-). How to check? Thanks. I am getting an OBD to WiFi adapter and BimmerCode, hopefully this can read the data out.

Thanks in advance.
Just get the latest istep update and it will be fixed. Your dealer can do it for you, tell them your apps and phone don't connect all the time so you need software update.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Just get the latest istep update and it will be fixed. Your dealer can do it for you, tell them your apps and phone don't connect all the time so you need software update.
Does istep update reset all the coding? I'm thinking to do that with my next dealer visit.
      08-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Does istep update reset all the coding? I'm thinking to do that with my next dealer visit.
Yes it will reset all the coding. Perhaps if you were to do it by hand and only update one module it wouldn't, but if BMW does it they update everything at once.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you elabrate on what software (program) will be updated if I do so? Would new version block the capability to custom coding? (via OBD to WiFi adapter - BimmerCode)

Thanks!!!
      08-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Can you elabrate on what software (program) will be updated if I do so? Would new version block the capability to custom coding? (via OBD to WiFi adapter - BimmerCode)

Thanks!!!
It will erase all the custom codings you have, but you can just recode them with bimmercode when you're done. If the iStep version is very new bimmercode might need an update first before you can recode, but the app is updated regularly.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi SeanWRT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Does istep update reset all the coding?
My experience was that it doesn't. Some settings survived the ISTEP update. That said, I'm in Australia, so maybe there are differences in the regions..?

Hi akkando,
Quote:
Yes it will reset all the coding. Perhaps if you were to do it by hand and only update one module it wouldn't, but if BMW does it they update everything at once.
While I guess it depends on what you code with Bimmercode, I found that it was a bit random as to what was cleared: I was surprised by what was reset versus what survived the ISTEP update. For example, I coded off the stupid legal warning (it came back after the ISTEP update) ... but the seat belt warnings and gongs alarms stayed off.

Hi terrywang,
Quote:
Just to add a bit to akkando's helpful advice, it seems that at least one other Australia-based owner had trouble with coding via Bimmercode on a not-recently-upgraded ISTEP version (there's a discussion in the regional forum on that). If you have trouble with upgrading ... you may need to take the car to be updated.

Couple of TIPs:
  1. If you've not yet had your Takata airbag replaced, you can probably get the BMW dealer to flash the car as part of the airbag recall process.
  2. If you're not entirely sure of what to do with Bimmercode, and are planning to get ISTEP updated (regardless of whether you take up TIP #1) ... then you can try coding some stuff and if you screw something up, the upgrade should reset most of it for you (except the seat belt warnings apparently!)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Appreciate 1