BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 Tune - Excessive Burble - Any Solution?

08-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

BM3 Tune - Excessive Burble - Any Solution?

Quick background: I have had the BM3 Stage2 93Oct tune on my M2 LCI with Fabspeed Sport Cat for about 4 months - no other intake or exhaust mods. Burble is excessive in sport and sport+ driving modes - loud and long, practically any time I lift off the throttle until I either get back on the throttle or the car comes to a stop. It didn't bother me as much at the beginning but it has begun to wear on me and affects the way I drive to try to minimize the burble. The burble does not happen in comfort mode (aka Sunday church parking lot mode) but I never use it other than while in cruise control on a road trip.

BM3 updated the tune about 2 months ago that added user burble modes. It added an OEM, Off and a Customize option that allows user to choose detail burble parameters (aggressiveness, duration, loudness, etc.). I tried OEM mode first and found the burble to be just as persistent but perhaps ever so slightly quieter than regular BM3 tune burble. In other words, it was not close to BMW OEM.

Next I tried Customize and set everything to the lowest level. Surprisingly it only made the burble louder and more aggressive than the regular BM3 tune burble (WTF?!). I have since learned from reading another thread that this Customize setting is not as simple to dial in the desired result. It is like a 4-dimensional rubix cube.

Lastly I tried the Off mode only to find the burble to be the same as before the burble setting addition.

For the time being I switched back to OEM mode. Does any BM3 tune owner have any better luck with the burble setting? I really hope I don't have to resort to switch to another tune because BM3 works very well otherwise.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      08-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
Quick background: I have had the BM3 Stage2 93Oct tune on my M2 LCI with Fabspeed Sport Cat for about 4 months - no other intake or exhaust mods. Burble is excessive in sport and sport+ driving modes - loud and long, practically any time I lift off the throttle until I either get back on the throttle or the car comes to a stop. It didn't bother me as much at the beginning but it has begun to wear on me and affects the way I drive to try to minimize the burble. The burble does not happen in comfort mode (aka Sunday church parking lot mode) but I never use it other than while in cruise control on a road trip.

BM3 updated the tune about 2 months ago that added user burble modes. It added an OEM, Off and a Customize option that allows user to choose detail burble parameters (aggressiveness, duration, loudness, etc.). I tried OEM mode first and found the burble to be just as persistent but perhaps ever so slightly quieter than regular BM3 tune burble. In other words, it was not close to BMW OEM.

Next I tried Customize and set everything to the lowest level. Surprisingly it only made the burble louder and more aggressive than the regular BM3 tune burble (WTF?!). I have since learned from reading another thread that this Customize setting is not as simple to dial in the desired result. It is like a 4-dimensional rubix cube.

Lastly I tried the Off mode only to find the burble to be the same as before the burble setting addition.

For the time being I switched back to OEM mode. Does any BM3 tune owner have any better luck with the burble setting? I really hope I don't have to resort to switch to another tune because BM3 works very well otherwise.
Send email to PTF, had similiar problems but it was all fixed in an eye blink
Appreciate 1
RedCarrot230.50
      08-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Running same OTS tune as you. Also have LCI, SportCat, MPE, W Evo II Comp FMIC, FTP boost/charge pipes and PURE turbo inlet.

Personally, I found a rather big difference between the pops/snaps from the original file/tune (V5, I think?) to the revised file/tune from 2-ish months ago. Definitely less aggressive on the snaps/pops and the burble is reduced in duration.

Previous version with Sport+ with valves open had neighbors diving behind bushes and mailboxes.
New Version with Sport+ and valves open still turns heads, but no one is chipping their teeth on the sidewalk.

The one other thing that I have noticed is that on the "old" tune, my AWRON showed PS (HP) as in the high 420's even hit 432 once!!...but on "new" tune the most I can get to is high 4'teens' (i.e. 418)...so seems like they might have taken the boost/power down a bit too in the revision. Extra safety??

proTUNING Freaks feel free to chime in with your views/answers/insights.
Appreciate 1
RedCarrot230.50
      08-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6erLover View Post
Send email to PTF, had similiar problems but it was all fixed in an eye blink
Thanks! I have created a ticket and waiting to hear back.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

I can’t be of any help but please post some clips - sounds exactly like what I’m looking for lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Running same OTS tune as you. Also have LCI, SportCat, MPE, W Evo II Comp FMIC, FTP boost/charge pipes and PURE turbo inlet.

Personally, I found a rather big difference between the pops/snaps from the original file/tune (V5, I think?) to the revised file/tune from 2-ish months ago. Definitely less aggressive on the snaps/pops and the burble is reduced in duration.

Previous version with Sport+ with valves open had neighbors diving behind bushes and mailboxes.
New Version with Sport+ and valves open still turns heads, but no one is chipping their teeth on the sidewalk.

The one other thing that I have noticed is that on the "old" tune, my AWRON showed PS (HP) as in the high 420's even hit 432 once!!...but on "new" tune the most I can get to is high 4'teens' (i.e. 418)...so seems like they might have taken the boost/power down a bit too in the revision. Extra safety??

proTUNING Freaks feel free to chime in with your views/answers/insights.
It's pretty interesting how we have such different burble characteristics from the same tune and nearly same aftermarket parts. (I have the exact same FMIC as you as well but I doubt that component plays a part in burble)

A month ago, I tried all four burble options - including Customize by setting the parameters to their lowest settings - to no avail. I was eventually able to significantly lessen the burble (quieter, less aggressive, less frequent, and shorter duration) earlier this week by experimenting with the Customize option. This time I played with narrowing the RPM range of which the burble occurs. I am pretty happy with current burble level.

Dzenan and Halim have been providing me with excellent support throughout this week. As I am typing this, Dzenan has just told me he enhanced/broadened the lowest duration level. I will give that a try very soon and report back.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
... This time I played with narrowing the RPM range of which the burble occurs. I am pretty happy with current burble level.

Dzenan and Halim have been providing me with excellent support throughout this week. As I am typing this, Dzenan has just told me he enhanced/broadened the lowest duration level. I will give that a try very soon and report back.
I get zero pops and snaps if I come off throttle/downshift anything over 4K, there will be burble on this however. Pops and snaps only happen on off throttle/ds lower than 4K.

Are you getting a custom tune from these guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I was unhappy with the v5 OTS maps from PTF because the over-run burble was way too much.

I'm currently running v5.3 and it's nearly perfect for me having made no adjustments to the map.

In Comfort I only get very slight burbles, and it's quiet enough to not wake my kids when I come home late or leave early and their bedroom window is open.

In Sport and Sport+, the burbles can be loud and aggressive, but it depends on how I drive. If I change gears at low load and low revs, it's really quite tame, but if I hard accelerate and rev up to above 4k, and then just let off the gas in the same gear, it will pop and bang quite loudly indeed.

I therefore think it's quite controllable currently. If I want quiet, go comfort, if I want in between, shift early, if I want loud, drive agressive. The only thing I guess I cannot do it drive aggressively and be quiet, but that's fine with me.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      08-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I've switched all my OTS maps to OEM burbles

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      08-19-2018, 03:55 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Damn...even stock burble is a bit too much to my taste with bigger turbo, Hiflow cat and MPE.
      08-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just some feedback.
When I first flashed it was V4 and it was cool but there was complaints of not enough burble or burble loss etc etc. They have attempted to make everyone happy instead of saying...here you go this is what you get.

Now I am trying to figure out why when I go into config and move the burble duration from 1.5 to 2 the cold start come back which I dislike. I guess when you modify one thing it alters others and you have to go and make other modifications....... not sure yet. I posted the question on the user group

I really don't think they lowered the power numbers...if anything with the boost increase it would have gone up

Here are the release notes since V5

N55-M2 Release Notes

Version 5.4, July 18, 2018
Revmatch tweaks

Version 5.3, May 17, 2018
Burble intensity lowered across all maps
Stage 2 91 octane with aggressive burble added
Stage 2 E30 with aggressive burble added

Version 5.2, May 17, 2018
Boost target moved from 16.5 to 17psi for Stage 2 E30 map

Version 5.1, May 7, 2018
Fueling Adjustments for E30 maps

Version 5, March 30 2018:
More potent burbles for stage 2 OTS maps
Fixes missing burble for some cars, especially 6MT
GTS startup roar
Burble limited to specific modes

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 08-19-2018 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Maybe send them a support email for tech support and they can investigate
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
With the FI catted DP I find the burbles in sport completely insane, basically like gunshots. I disabled it completely since I had the same issue as you where aggressiveness = 1 seems just as aggressive as anything else.

That said, disabling actually disabled it completely for me.
YES! Gunshots. In my sad, sad life, that is literally the coolest thing in my day.
      08-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Rondavouz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Stg 2 coldstart off, burbles oem, asd off (think this will kill some burbles too) is the way to go for me. The cold start woke up the entire family before.
And don’t forget to reset adaptations after messing with the maps. Sometimes I’ve had to flash 2 times the same map too. Think I managed to flash before my customized ost map was actually done.
Wagner ic , Wagner dp sport catted.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am pretty stoked to report back that excessive burble is no longer an issue for me. I don't understand why the preset burble modes (OEM, Off, regular BM3) didn't make a difference in lessening the burble in my case. However, Customize did the trick this time around whereas it didn't make any difference last time I tried it few weeks ago.

My Customize burble setting is as follow:
All 4 parameters are set to the lowest levels
RPM range set to min 2,000; max 3,000

As previously note, Dzenan extended the lowest level of the duration spectrum from .5 to .1 earlier this week. The .1 doesn't necessarily mean burble lasts .1 sec - perhaps it's a scale. In operation the burble typically lasts between .5 to 1 sec. In rare occasions it can last up to 1.5 sec.

Collectively, the burble is now significantly softer, quieter, less frequent, and shorter in duration than before. I am a pretty happy camper right now.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50
specka71.00
      04-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I took the plunge and flashed a Stage 1 93 tune two days ago. Performance wise not too much to observe, there's some sort of delay in throttle response in Sport and Sport+ that is similar to Comfort when stock....but that's for another thread.

The burbles!! I have tried the above settings but nothing seems to work. I'm horrified at the change to my exhaust burbles from what I feel was perfect with my combination of mods and stock software. I put all custom sliders to zero but there is no change. I might log a ticket. Disappointed that the OTS settings affects this.

Anyone else experience this and find a fix?
      05-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #17
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
I took the plunge and flashed a Stage 1 93 tune two days ago. Performance wise not too much to observe, there's some sort of delay in throttle response in Sport and Sport+ that is similar to Comfort when stock....but that's for another thread.

The burbles!! I have tried the above settings but nothing seems to work. I'm horrified at the change to my exhaust burbles from what I feel was perfect with my combination of mods and stock software. I put all custom sliders to zero but there is no change. I might log a ticket. Disappointed that the OTS settings affects this.

Did you flash again after making changes? The burble changes make a change to the flash, which you then have to load. Simply changing them in the UI is only half the process.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post

Did you flash again after making changes? The burble changes make a change to the flash, which you then have to load. Simply changing them in the UI is only half the process.
Thank you, yes I did. I've probably flashed the poor thing about 25 times in a week trying to sort out this and other things.

I've disabled burbles completely for the time being, trying to get used to a car that sounds like it should without those manufactured sounds.