BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Does launch control void warranty?

07-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #23
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
There is a kid on Youtube with an M2 who loves to do donuts and beats the crap out of his car and then posts videos about how he keeps breaking half shafts as if BMW was supposed to design a car for that kind of use.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #24
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is Alex Choi....figures He is the idiot posted a video of himself doing donuts in his Huracan in deep mud
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #25
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
I agree with those saying that it shouldn't void the warranty...particularly because the dealership enables it when you take the car in for your break-in service. It's a feature of the car.

That being said, there are limitations to warranties. Under "normal" usage can be interpreted a number of ways, and there is definitely a threshold for abusive driving. For example, a tire may include a warranty up to a certain number of miles...but upon closer inspection of the car that warranty might be voided if the alignment was out of whack for an extended period of time, or you were roasting them in a parking lot doing burnouts and donuts.

Hard launching your car, any car, takes it's toll and things will wear faster and break. Remember your warranty is only good for so long. If that part (i.e. DCT box, axles, electronic diff) decide to fail a month after the car's warranty ends...that's on you. I can't imaging the DCT or diff will be inexpensive fixes. I remember something about the electronic diffs in the old e31 8-series being a trouble spot and stupidly expensive to repair.

Does anyone have knowledge of what information the dealer is able to extract from the car's many computers that could be used against the owner? For example a counter of how many times launch control was used? OEM data logging or black box?
They have a counter. I spoke with the local dealership master technician, and he showed it to me.