BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Aftermarket Gauges

06-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Aftermarket Gauges

The biggest downfall of the LCI M2 IMHO is the fact that you can't add the 3D Design gauge pod set. I love the look of that unit. Don't love the Awron unit but it is practical.

I am looking for
- Oil Temperature - I know that there is one on the console but I don't want to cycle through other functions to get to it.
- Oil Pressure
- Maybe Boost

Anyone have any suggestions on a nice housing solution?

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Found this on AliExpress for $4. Not bad quality. They have one without the lip. I might order that one too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Awron vent gauge
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam View Post
Awron vent gauge
OP...That gauge pod for $4 looks like you paid $3 too much. How are you going to attach that and make it look even remotely good??

Go with AWRON...clean install, looks good and gives you tons of functionality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
OP...That gauge pod for $4 looks like you paid $3 too much. How are you going to attach that and make it look even remotely good??

Go with AWRON...clean install, looks good and gives you tons of functionality.
Agreed that it looks clean and nicely integrated into the interior but giving up a vent isn't something I'm comfortable with. That and the fact that the display has a huge amount of unused dead space on either side makes it a definite no go for me. I don't understand why they didn't/couldn't make it full screen. It totally takes away from the cool factor IMO.
Appreciate 3
F87_LCI1787.00
///M²281.00
      08-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=6201-22011
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Agreed that it looks clean and nicely integrated into the interior but giving up a vent isn't something I'm comfortable with. That and the fact that the display has a huge amount of unused dead space on either side makes it a definite no go for me. I don't understand why they didn't/couldn't make it full screen. It totally takes away from the cool factor IMO.
Vents? You have two big vents on either side of the car...they're called windows, lol. I hear ya though, some people live in very warm climates and need the air con...I just personally don't like breathing air con air...much rather take in the pollution of "Natural" air .

Agreed that they could have used a screen that is same size as vent it is replacing to maximize, but these guys have been around for a while and I think this is their original design and their software is formatted 4:3. Probably just can't be bothered to update/upgrade it.

For what it is, it's a really good unit. I just wish I could figure out how to set it to imperial units instead of metric. I'm in Canada and we use metric here for most stuff, but when it comes to certain things, we still use the US system. Boost at 1.5 bar, doesn't mean anything to me, b/c I don't have a frame of reference...but 21 PSI, I understand.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      08-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
OP has LCI, the 3D only fits on pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Found this on AliExpress for $4. Not bad quality. They have one without the lip. I might order that one too.
Too low down to be of any real use for driver if pushing on.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Too low down to be of any real use for driver if pushing on.
Agreed. Would've been nice to get HUD in these cars and have that data displayed there. Or even just a regular needle gauge in the instrument cluster. This really was such a big and stupid oversight by bmw. And they had the opportunity to fix it not just once (with the LCI), but twice (again with the C). But no. No fixed oil gauge. Hell, even my 328d has a dedicated oil gauge
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm thinking Oil and water temp. Not something I stare at but saves toggling through the menu on the gauges. Almost all the 3D pods are down there.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Doesn't fit the 2018's

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:08 AM   #13
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Vents? You have two big vents on either side of the car...they're called windows, lol. I hear ya though, some people live in very warm climates and need the air con...I just personally don't like breathing air con air...much rather take in the pollution of "Natural" air .

Agreed that they could have used a screen that is same size as vent it is replacing to maximize, but these guys have been around for a while and I think this is their original design and their software is formatted 4:3. Probably just can't be bothered to update/upgrade it.

For what it is, it's a really good unit. I just wish I could figure out how to set it to imperial units instead of metric. I'm in Canada and we use metric here for most stuff, but when it comes to certain things, we still use the US system. Boost at 1.5 bar, doesn't mean anything to me, b/c I don't have a frame of reference...but 21 PSI, I understand.
Unfortunately, if you want imperial boost, I believe you get imperial temperature too. The speed can be set separately between kph/mph, but per the manual (see page 14), you get C & bar or F & PSI. Couldn't hurt to try e-mailing them and asking if they could put out a firmware update that would allow better selection options here though? Wouldn't be too hard for them to add more options to that menu choice so you could do C + PSI.

The screen is likely due to cost (I agree it blows though). AWRON is using an OLED screen (not really sure why), and OLED screens aren't as common and you have to deal with the sizes that are available. Getting it in a size that actually fills the housing would be more $$ for sure.

As far as the "don't want to lose a vent" goes - I bought the Euro version so mine is installed in the passenger's vent instead of mine, since 80% of the time I don't have a passenger, and the few times I do it's usually my wife, who is a freeze wimp anyway. The upper vents aren't usually active for heating, just A/C. So I still have two vents blowing on me, and I have the gauge just over to the right a bit more. It can get hard to read at times from glare, but I think I'd have glare problems in the left vent too (I don't think the placement matters that much to visibility).

Per the OP's requirements - while AWRON does have a screen that shows oil temp and pressure together, it doesn't show boost on that same screen (instead you get IAT). The main screen has boost + coolant + oil though.

There's also the AK Motion "Data Display."
This one is a touchscreen (which IMO is a negative for car usage) and is LCD-based. I haven't seen one in person though.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 08-07-2018 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      08-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

So I went and played with my AWRON today - you can set each individual unit as you want. MPH/KPH, and then C/F, Bar/PSI, N-M/Ft-Lbs, HP/KW.

You press the cruise control lever up "hard" - push it past the first notch and hold for like 3-5 seconds to get into the settings. Then you keep pushing the lever down to scroll down through the settings - pushing up (not a hard press) acts like "enter/OK". Once you scroll down to the units, you then push up to select that entry, and then I believe down moves you to the right and up changes the value of the unit.

Once you're all done, you go down to Exit and then press Up and it gets you back to the main screen again.
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      08-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:

So I went and played with my AWRON today - you can set each individual unit as you want. MPH/KPH, and then C/F, Bar/PSI, N-M/Ft-Lbs, HP/KW.

You press the cruise control lever up "hard" - push it past the first notch and hold for like 3-5 seconds to get into the settings. Then you keep pushing the lever down to scroll down through the settings - pushing up (not a hard press) acts like "enter/OK". Once you scroll down to the units, you then push up to select that entry, and then I believe down moves you to the right and up changes the value of the unit.

Once you're all done, you go down to Exit and then press Up and it gets you back to the main screen again.
You're awesome. Thx Bro.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
No problem. it's all covered in the manual though.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
The biggest downfall of the LCI M2 IMHO is the fact that you can't add the 3D Design gauge pod set. I love the look of that unit. Don't love the Awron unit but it is practical.
I am looking for
- Oil Temperature - I know that there is one on the console but I don't want to cycle through other functions to get to it.
- Oil Pressure
- Maybe Boost
Anyone have any suggestions on a nice housing solution?
Alternative 1: P3 gauge (see here and here):

Alternative 2: AWRON (see here):

Alternative 3: BMW Head-Up Screen (if still available) (see here and here) (remark: the mount for that official BMW device is only available for LHD):
      04-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #18
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Spoke with A3 on the phone. Think there only 3 people working there. they say they are coming out with a white font version of their gauges at the end of the year. They are also adding more features This what puts me off their gauge is the orange colour - it does not match the car's gauges.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:32 AM   #19
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Alt gauge pod...

https://autotechinteriors.com/collec...dual-guage-pod

Photo above taken from this thread

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...71&postcount=1

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #20
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

If don't stick to analog gauges, BimmerLink app may work for you.
      06-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #21
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I wonder if there's a way to use Greddy's Vision guages?

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

My question is why do people still want fixed analog gauges? These new bmws are canbus based and are so advanced you can get all sorts of information from the obd2 port that you could not get in the past, for eg:

1) These bmw's use wide band o2 sensors from the factory there is no need to run an aftermarket afr gauge which likely requires you to run your own o2 sensor.

2) with an obd2 gauge you won't need to run a bunch of wires for analog gauges. Like hoses for boost, wires for afr, coolant etc.

3) The canbus system has an insanely high data sampling rate so it can even out perform standalone analog gauges for data sampling rates, for ex. my old aem afr gauges were so slow to refresh after afr changes due to lifting off of the gas. While the factory bmw o2 sensors with an obd2 guage refreshes instantly to the point of zero lag.

4) Now I would also not waste my money on standard obd2 gauges that have fixed data parameters, like a vent gauge or the similar products. I would get a tablet or a phone and mount it in the car and get something like MHD's monitoring module which supports insanely fast data sampling rates and their wifi adapter (which is probably the best wifi adapter on the market - it is small powered solely off of the obd2 port and is fast, and can be used for coding, ista, esys etc). That way you can set any gauges you want (you're not limited to one specific gauge like you would with an analog gauge), have data logging capabilities, and can poll data faster than vent gauges. They also have way more data channels that are bmw specific too like 6 cylinder timing logging, hpfp pressures etc.

This imo would be a much better option than any kind of obd2 vent gauge or analog gauge.