BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 crash :( need advice

06-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
bmwm22018
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thumbs down M2 crash :( need advice

new poster here.

Feeling fairly tragic about this one but hoping people could give me some advice. Crashed my M2 this morning on a wet roundabout, doing about 25mph but stupidly pushed the accelerator in when the wheels werent pointed forwards and just sent it through 180 degrees and the passenger side hit a kerb and sign post. I was so taken aback that it was so volatile - it was in sport mode so the throttle was more responsive i guess but traction was well and truly on. But alas 100% my fault obviously did not pay enough attention etc - no one else involved thankfully i would have felt horrific if my stuidity had caused anyone else harm.

its been picked up now and im awating to hear how much damage there is an the likely cost of it to the insurance company. I am attaching pictures but hoping people could give me an idea of what to expect... as you can see the passenger door is stove in, sill ripped up, rear wheel sitting at an odd angle, both alloys badly kerbed.

The car is literally 2 weeks old which makes it even more painful, on a pcp deal with gap insurance. terrified that the axle or theres some structural damage and it gets written off ( i may be being melodramatic here so please tell me).
Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Also please dont rip into me too much i am doing a good job of beating myself up as it is....

Last edited by bmwm22018; 07-22-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Sorry to hear of this misfortune. I hate to say it but it looks like the rear diff has been tweaked. It appears the mounting points under the structure may be damaged. Forward on the driver side, rearward on the passenger side. They may total it. Depends on your insurance adjuster. Good your ok. Hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

Last edited by $M2; 06-12-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Can't comment on structural damage or cost to fix.

It's bad, but you walked away from it and weren't injured. Those who have been in an accident that resulted in significant injury would certainly trade situations with you in a heart beat.

If this is the worse thing that happens to you all year, then it's been a good year. You will get over it.

Good luck!
HODLM363.50
nd2002178.50
qnet676.00
Stef56.50
ried791.50
      06-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Rear drive axle damage (possibly damage on suspension)
Possibly front axle damage (cannot really tell exactly)
Highly chance of getting LSD replaced.
Rocker panel, front door, rear fender replacement.
Front and Rear wheels need to be replaced.
Airbag deployed meaning new airbag and A/B pillar, roof liners replacement.

And my next question is, how hard did you hit? If you hit hard enough (I doubt that you could without other car hitting directly at the side), you could have damaged chassis (and possibly B pillar) and could be ended on total loss. Depending on what kind of insurance you have, you could get your car totally replaced to a new one.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Rear drive axle damage (possibly damage on suspension)
Possibly front axle damage (cannot really tell exactly)
Highly chance of getting LSD replaced.
Rocker panel, front door, rear fender replacement.
Front and Rear wheels need to be replaced.
Airbag deployed meaning new airbag and A/B pillar, roof liners replacement.

And my next question is, how hard did you hit? If you hit hard enough (I doubt that you could without other car hitting directly at the side), you could have damaged chassis (and possibly B pillar) and could be ended on total loss. Depending on what kind of insurance you have, you could get your car totally replaced to a new one.
airbag didn't get deployed but thats about it. it felt hard as i was in the car but it just hit the kerb and bounced and came to a standstill. as i say i was doing about 25mph when the tail went out so not sure of the exact speed when i hit the kerb but was hoping that there wouldn't be any damage to the chassis or unrepairable structural damage etc at that speed but i may be wrong. just praying now :/
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Can't comment on structural damage or cost to fix.

It's bad, but you walked away from it and weren't injured. Those who have been in an accident that resulted in significant injury would certainly trade situations with you in a heart beat.

If this is the worse thing that happens to you all year, then it's been a good year. You will get over it.

Good luck!
thanks champignon. I guess thats the silver lining and i need to be thankful of that, still absolutely gut wrenching though
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm22018 View Post
airbag didn't get deployed but thats about it. it felt hard as i was in the car but it just hit the kerb and bounced and came to a standstill. as i say i was doing about 25mph when the tail went out so not sure of the exact speed when i hit the kerb but was hoping that there wouldn't be any damage to the chassis or unrepairable structural damage etc at that speed but i may be wrong. just praying now :/
If airbags did not deploy. That would be a lot better for cost wise.

Seems like it would not give much damage to any base chassis components.
But it all depends on the angle and the point where you hit against the kerb. If base structure is bent or damaged, they will not fix it. Meaning that would be a total loss.

I cannot really tell about the cost but if all things that i mentioned above gets fixed, I think you would be looking at about 20k for the repair. But this is only my guesstimation.

And glad that you are safe. Hope all goes smooth for the best.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
If airbags did not deploy. That would be a lot better for cost wise.

Seems like it would not give much damage to any base chassis components.
But it all depends on the angle and the point where you hit against the kerb. If base structure is bent or damaged, they will not fix it. Meaning that would be a total loss.

I cannot really tell about the cost but if all things that i mentioned above gets fixed, I think you would be looking at about 20k for the repair. But this is only my guesstimation.

And glad that you are safe. Hope all goes smooth for the best.
well i will just hope for the best, should hear from the bodyshop in the next day or so about how much it would be to repair then need to hope insurance company will agree to their price.

thanks for your input i really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The accident had already happened and past so no need to dwell on it too much.

There is not much you need to do if the car is insured as you implied. It will either be repaired or written off and you receiving a payout.

From the image you provided I don't believe that it will be written off unless the roof (not shown) is visibly twisted from the impact.

Now I am sure you know that even if they managed to straighten the frame of the car to the factory spec and fully repair it, the structural integrity of the frame has already been compromised. As such I am sure you know it's best to move on from this car once you have regain your clarity of thought.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The accident had already happened and past so no need to dwell on it too much.

There is not much you need to do if the car is insured as you implied. It will either be repaired or written off and you receiving a payout.

From the image you provided I don't believe that it will be written off unless the roof (not shown) is visibly twisted from the impact.

Now I am sure you know that even if they managed to straighten the frame of the car to the factory spec and fully repair it, the structural integrity of the frame has already been compromised. As such I am sure you know it's best to move on from this car once you have regain your clarity of thought.
thanks karmic man, roof not twisted thankfully.

Just going to wait and see what the insurance company and bodyshop say. find it really hard to think clearly in a situation like this but you are right. many thanks for your reply
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Ouch, heart is with you, real shame but you’re ok and that’s why we have insurance anyway. If you have gap insurance and the m2 comp is realised does that mean you could get a M2C?

Trying to cheer you up. The panel damage isn’t that bad as they can be swapped. The rest subframe is directly bolted to the floor so you could have damage there if you hit it hard enough.

I’ve read somewhere that airbags only deploy if your doing above 30, not sure if 30 is still the limit but the insurance will know you weren’t travelling above the speed limit so that’s good.

Any costly damage is around the rear of the car I guess that’s what took the initial impact.

I spun mine a complete 180 first week I had it so you’re not alone. Hope you get it fixed or otherwise get an M2C
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Just looked at your pics, the discs haven’t even been run in. 😢

Chin up fella!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Fix it and drive it.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFS View Post
Ouch, heart is with you, real shame but you’re ok and that’s why we have insurance anyway. If you have gap insurance and the m2 comp is realised does that mean you could get a M2C?

Trying to cheer you up. The panel damage isn’t that bad as they can be swapped. The rest subframe is directly bolted to the floor so you could have damage there if you hit it hard enough.

I’ve read somewhere that airbags only deploy if your doing above 30, not sure if 30 is still the limit but the insurance will know you weren’t travelling above the speed limit so that’s good.

Any costly damage is around the rear of the car I guess that’s what took the initial impact.

I spun mine a complete 180 first week I had it so you’re not alone. Hope you get it fixed or otherwise get an M2C
Hey WFS, i think it'll probably be soon enough that it would be a replacement M2, thats what i want anyway if it comes to it. Im hoping it is repairable and i can get the car back but we shall see.

yeah the brunt of the impact was on the rear wheel as it was spinning and hit the with the rear wheel off the kerb first.

I just didn't even think it would spin so easily - guess thats my naivety at play there. lesson learned. I trust you were lucky enough not to damage yours when you spun it?!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm22018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFS View Post

Hey WFS, i think it'll probably be soon enough that it would be a replacement M2, thats what i want anyway if it comes to it. Im hoping it is repairable and i can get the car back but we shall see.

yeah the brunt of the impact was on the rear wheel as it was spinning and hit the with the rear wheel off the kerb first.

I just didn't even think it would spin so easily - guess thats my naivety at play there. lesson learned. I trust you were lucky enough not to damage yours when you spun it?!
Is not clear how many damage in the front.
From what I see should be around 15/18k damage
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Sucks, but at least you're ok. I feel your pain. Had an off in my 235 on track last year in the pissing rain at a spot where a westfield had gone up in flames two laps prior. Same conditions and driving all day. Outlap was fine, must have hit oil on water second time round, rear snapped out, couldn't catch it and could only do my best to scrub off speed before the tyre wall. No structural damage to mine, but needed new front bumper, new bonnet, new passenger side fender, new intercooler and reskin of passenger side door. Would have been far less if the tyres hadn't collapsed onto my bonnet. Luckily had track insurance. Total cost to repair: £8k. Bear in mind mine was cosmetic, it'll sharp ramp up with any structural/ major component (diff) damage but it'll give you a UK based idea.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

The door damage extends to the quarter panel, I think the B pillar is bent.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Take it to the dealer to fix, I wouldn't want a local body shop messing with the rear Active M diff, which I would argue that aside from the motor, is the most intricate part any M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #19
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
Sucks, but at least you're ok. I feel your pain. Had an off in my 235 on track last year in the pissing rain at a spot where a westfield had gone up in flames two laps prior. Same conditions and driving all day. Outlap was fine, must have hit oil on water second time round, rear snapped out, couldn't catch it and could only do my best to scrub off speed before the tyre wall. No structural damage to mine, but needed new front bumper, new bonnet, new passenger side fender, new intercooler and reskin of passenger side door. Would have been far less if the tyres hadn't collapsed onto my bonnet. Luckily had track insurance. Total cost to repair: £8k. Bear in mind mine was cosmetic, it'll sharp ramp up with any structural/ major component (diff) damage but it'll give you a UK based idea.
ah man that sounds pretty horrid. glad you got it sorted though. how long did it take to fix?

Yeah im expecting around £15k or so of damage, hoping it isn't a write off based on structural damage but will find out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Take it to the dealer to fix, I wouldn't want a local body shop messing with the rear Active M diff, which I would argue that aside from the motor, is the most intricate part any M car.
organised to take it to the dealership i got it from and take it from there. Im mainly worried about damage to parts like that...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Happens to the best of us. That extra little tap on the pedal is always so tempting in this car. Hope everything works out, like many have said, it's only a car after all, don't dwell on it.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Sorry man
Appreciate 0