BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > G-Power 500hp Turbo Installed and Compared to PS2. Testing and Datalogging

06-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #23
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Sean again what are the prices US and you mention that they do not have a core charge so its full price?
$3,450 USD plus you have to send your core
Attached Images

06-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #24
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
$3,450 USD plus you have to send your core
Ouch!!!
      06-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #25
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaim View Post
naïve

here is a TD06SL2R with 9 blades
Man, I love comment with insight like yours. But look closer, G Power turbine has a more flat tip (see pic below), TD06 tip from your picture looks more curved.

Again, I agree with you Pure turbine is a identical design to TD06.

At the end of day, Mitsubishi is a highly reputable turbo supplier and one of the industry leaders. Engineering something based on their design that has a ton of R&D put behind, is a very confidence inspiring approach.
Attached Images

Yiruna393.50
      06-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #26
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaim View Post
naïve

here is a TD06SL2R with 9 blades
Man, I love comment with insight like yours. But look closer, G Power turbine has a more flat tip (see pic below), TD06 tip from your picture looks more curved.

Again, I agree with you Pure turbine is a identical design to TD06.

At the end of day, Mitsubishi is a highly reputable turbo supplier and one of the industry leaders. Engineering something based on their design that has a ton of R&D put behind, is a very confidence inspiring approach.
Excited to see your full build. Mine is a bit stalled but I'll be there with ya soon buddy
      06-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Excited to see your full build. Mine is a bit stalled but I'll be there with ya soon buddy
What mods do you have in plan if you don't mind?
      06-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What mods do you have in plan if you don't mind?
Rest of the mods left.

Switch over to Catless
PS2
HPFP stage 1
Stage 3 LPFP
CSF race oil cooler

At least engine wise.

Suspension need to get anti roll bar and toe links. Gonna just stick with the current wheels
      06-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #29
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Sean
Just wandering, besides chasing numbers, how do you plan to practically utilize the power? I understand your point about s55 m2 coming out, but regular old stage 2 n55 m2 is very fast already. Do you drag race ? Thanks
Apology for not replying earlier. Just noticed your message.

Using 265/35/19 RE71R at this point, I have just slight traction loss on street on 2nd gear. Once tire fully warmed, I have full traction from 2nd. Overall traction is noticeable better than stock m2 on PSS, which is acceptable.

Plus recently I just burned 11k upgrading Wheel/Tire, will receive and install them by Aug. My car will have no problem handling a linear 500hp power band and look a little nicer too

Yes, I drag race. Though I don't tune to win drag race. I think fellows here are wise enough to tell the difference. We're superficial human beings so to us acceleration thrill is a big part of fun. This may be subjective, but no, "regular stage 2 M2" as you call it, is far from being fast enough. Forget about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers from glorious runs, ignore "it's such a beast" feeling. Try WOT side by side with a M4 in real world please.

After all, what exactly is the big deal of having M2 S55 powered? Why does the world think that's the way M2 SHOULD come from factory? Are they just dumb enough to break the perfect balance of original M2?

Back to drag race, there is a national event called Fast4Ward held on Shanghai F1 circuit, which I already had fun participating last year and will do again at year end. I need to know the real world performance out of all the work I put into it.

Also we sometimes drag race at car meet, in a very safe place of course. Going WOT side by side and pulling away or getting pulled away by the competition, is one of the least illegal ways of getting very excited and getting to know performance from real world context. Plus, what's better things to do with your car in a car meeting? Track day? Of course. Just not for average drivers though. Bragging about horsepower and 1/4 mile times at night club? Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
I'm more curious about your tuning strategy SeanWRT

hardware is one thing... but we all know the magic is much so in the software.
You're correct. Hardware is more of a support to tuning than tuning is to hardware.

On 18+psi worth load, tuning with GP500 is such a breeze that whatever is thrown at it looks made for it. Only concern would be fueling, which I'll see in winter. I have a feeling regardless I'll upgrade HPFP, just for headroom.

Dinan turbo flowed more than enough for me for 17-18psi up top, but octane can hardly hold up to high back pressure from tiny stock turbine at the boost we ran. Fueling was much less of a headache but certainly wasn't helping - little we can tweak in AFR to migrate octane stress. BUT, we're still convinced (and had it proven by dyno) boost>timing where we were. I ended up pushing to octane limit with 410+whp, compared to stock M4 ZCP 395+whp on same day. Meth would bring us to a whole new level, but it goes against my tuning code. And making that far, you'd better off jumping directly to PS2+meth.
      06-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #30
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Sean
Just wandering, besides chasing numbers, how do you plan to practically utilize the power? I understand your point about s55 m2 coming out, but regular old stage 2 n55 m2 is very fast already. Do you drag race ? Thanks
Apology for not replying earlier. Just noticed your message.

Using 265/35/19 RE71R at this point, I have just slight traction loss on street on 2nd gear. Once tire fully warmed, I have full traction from 2nd. Overall traction is noticeable better than stock m2 on PSS, which is acceptable.

Plus recently I just burned 11k upgrading Wheel/Tire, will receive and install them by Aug. My car will have no problem handling a linear 500hp power band and look a little nicer too

Yes, I drag race. Though I don't tune to win drag race. I think fellows here are wise enough to tell the difference. We're superficial human beings so to us acceleration thrill is a big part of fun. This may be subjective, but no, "regular stage 2 M2" as you call it, is far from being fast enough. Forget about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers from glorious runs, ignore "it's such a beast" feeling. Try WOT side by side with a M4 in real world please.

After all, what exactly is the big deal of having M2 S55 powered? Why does the world think that's the way M2 SHOULD come from factory? Are they just dumb enough to break the perfect balance of original M2?

Back to drag race, there is a national event called Fast4Ward held on Shanghai F1 circuit, which I already had fun participating last year and will do again at year end. I need to know the real world performance out of all the work I put into it.

Also we sometimes drag race at car meet, in a very safe place of course. Going WOT side by side and pulling away or getting pulled away by the competition, is one of the least illegal ways of getting very excited and getting to know performance from real world context. Plus, what's better things to do with your car in a car meeting? Track day? Of course. Just not for average drivers though. Bragging about horsepower and 1/4 mile times at night club? Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
I'm more curious about your tuning strategy SeanWRT

hardware is one thing... but we all know the magic is much so in the software.
You're correct. Hardware is more of a support to tuning than tuning is to hardware.

On 18+psi worth load, tuning with GP500 is such a breeze that whatever is thrown at it looks made for it. Only concern would be fueling, which I'll see in winter. I have a feeling regardless I'll upgrade HPFP, just for headroom.

Dinan turbo flowed more than enough for me for 17-18psi up top, but octane can hardly hold up to high back pressure from tiny stock turbine at the boost we ran. Fueling was much less of a headache but certainly wasn't helping - little we can tweak in AFR to migrate octane stress. BUT, we're still convinced (and had it proven by dyno) boost>timing where we were. I ended up pushing to octane limit with 410+whp, compared to stock M4 ZCP 395+whp on same day. Meth would bring us to a whole new level, but it goes against my tuning code. And making that far, you'd better off jumping directly to PS2+meth.
Regarding your last line. It doesn't make sense to have that much insane power to use methanol on the streets anyways. Utilizing all the power is sure to end up with your license getting taken away or worse.

If you wanna make that power, and to be able to use it. Just run race gas on the track, no problem. Its evident if anyone is interested in a turbo upgrade they'd already tuned their car to begin with. Hell, just remove your O2 sensors and go Catless, then you can run 116 octane race fuel no problem.
      06-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #31
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Sub’d for the great info in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #32
mcnevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
PURE spoke a hundred time they don't use TD06...though I agree blade is an identical design. Some say PURE wheel comes from China. Personally I can't care less. I'm happy for it instead. I know it only too well that China is the easiest place to get world class manufacturing - BTW I am the global sourcing manager with a US capital multinational corporate.

G-Power turbine looks nothing like TD06SL2r. Size may look similar, but design is different. G-Power made it very clear everything was engineered and built in house. Sand blast is the only process they outsource.
Hey Sean,

Just wanted to get your personal thoughts on instead of the usual suspects PS2, Dinan Big Turbo etc, what's your thoughts on just getting a bigger Borg Warner EFR Turbo from the get go?

Here is 2 examples I was looking at have similar Inducer and Exducer compressor wheel. They claim they spool up quicker than anything else. Wasn't sure with an differences between Pure and these. If you could point out any that would be much appreciated. Ultimately I have a very similar thought process with you on spool and power targets.

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...fr-7163-turbo/

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...-7670-turbo-2/

Price wise they line up with all the other options as well.

I know I would have to get a aftermarket exhaust manifold but have seen a couple out there now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #33
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnevin View Post
Quote:
PURE spoke a hundred time they don't use TD06...though I agree blade is an identical design. Some say PURE wheel comes from China. Personally I can't care less. I'm happy for it instead. I know it only too well that China is the easiest place to get world class manufacturing - BTW I am the global sourcing manager with a US capital multinational corporate.

G-Power turbine looks nothing like TD06SL2r. Size may look similar, but design is different. G-Power made it very clear everything was engineered and built in house. Sand blast is the only process they outsource.
Hey Sean,

Just wanted to get your personal thoughts on instead of the usual suspects PS2, Dinan Big Turbo etc, what's your thoughts on just getting a bigger Borg Warner EFR Turbo from the get go?

Here is 2 examples I was looking at have similar Inducer and Exducer compressor wheel. They claim they spool up quicker than anything else. Wasn't sure with an differences between Pure and these. If you could point out any that would be much appreciated. Ultimately I have a very similar thought process with you on spool and power targets.

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...fr-7163-turbo/

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...-7670-turbo-2/

Price wise they line up with all the other options as well.

I know I would have to get a aftermarket exhaust manifold but have seen a couple out there now.
EFR is a far superior product. It features double ball bearing CHRA (reliability and fast spool) and titanium turbine/compressor (fast spool) and a variety turbine/compressor housings that's made to support 400~800whp. To my knowledge, even the most exotic super cars (Mclarens, Ferrari & etc) don't get to have these turbo technologies from factory.

But you can't just succeed with ideas, it's always devil in the execution. It takes A LOT more than a great turbo to make a turbo kit work great.

Tony@VTT had the greatest idea for our platform - pair our hybrid housing with a Garett GTX DBB CHRA. In theory, it should have PS2 top end, quicker than stock spool up and last forever. However, it turned out not performing to expectations in any of these areas. And had a few quality issues and quit the game.

There are quite a few vendors that made solid progress with full bottom mount turbo upgrade for N55, AKA STG3. EFR turbo has been their top pick. You can't speak enough of EFR greatness but there is a few things that received mixed opinions when it comes to being a turbo kit to our platform:

1) Stock wastegate or an additional external one? Most of vendors go easy with external one, which abandons all factory DME boost control strategies that have years of BMW's fine engineering behind. BMW EWG controls boost to the accuracy and precision that few in the industry can match. Many argue that mechanical external waste gate works just fine. But how fine is just fine? How hard do they actually test it? And importantly, can external control retain BMW drivability 100%? It feels a little uncomfortable leaving as critical a thing as boost control to an extra device that's none-OEM and that's not made by a reputable company. Maybe the turbo kit vendor just wants you in, to be part of the road test team.

Only ACF performance worked out a stock EWG compatible EFR kit, meaning DME would think and act like stock and hybrid. You can have your car fine tuned by anyone in the business today to support your power goal, not tied to the vendor of turbo kit who may or may not be there for you for long enough on tuning front. However great ACF approach seems to be, there is very few of their turbo kits running on the road, besides their shop car.

2) New oil and coolant routing. It's not a big deal but they need to be done perfectly right. And need extensive test (who in the aftermarket for N55 do that?) to ensure reliability. Otherwise it's gonna be nightmare after nightmare.

3) Very tight fit. Why is it so easy to upgrade STG3 turbo for A45 AMG which share Borg Warner from factory with us? Because AMG turbo is top mounted, more packaging space and much easier to replace and engineer everything.
Our platform has turbo bottom mounted. Using EFR means little room for mistake and little room or enhancement for anything.

There is no denying that EFR can be done perfectly right with our platform, albeit it's a lot hard than with others. At the end of the day, turbo is just a turbo, driven by exhaust and suck in fresh air and output compressed air. All it need is cooling, lubricating and mounting. Which just requires nothing less than a very very capable vendor (think AMS in GTR world) and huge amount of their R&D and testing.

But, big question is how much do we average N55 user really want to pay? I guess 3k would scare most if not all off.

ACF EFR kit is 9k, btw, labor not included.

I would stay with high efficient hybrid (still expensive I know and accept). Great compressor and turbine, and proper machining of housing to optimize the flow. Stock everything else.

Job done.
      06-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #34
mcnevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hey Sean,

Sorry for the delay to your response. Before anything, thank you for just responding in a very friendly, factual and intellectual way, with non of the "mmmerrrrrggghhhh why don't you just get a M2 Comp and tune it, you'll make more power". I truly appreciate it and spending the time you did in the response.

I've heard/read that EFR turbo's seem to be one of the best turbo's out there but have never meet anyone that actually can have a conversation about them. Even when I try talking to my techs at work, I get deer in head light looks and no one seems to be able to carry a conversation on the top pick. I understand regarding your comment about slapping on a good turbo and calling it a day. The devil is always in the execution, I've been doing my research and planning for probably 9 months now, in what direction I want to go in my build and have spent many sleepless nights doing research and re reading the same information and I'm finally at the point I need to talk to a few people and see if I've missed anything but believe I've got 80% of my bases covered.

Back in Australia when I was growing up I had to do a few engine builds in my 1996 MR2 Turbo due to being young and naive and not doing my research, needless to say I've made a few mistakes and learned from them.

I've been watching a few Vendors with kits that have EFR Turbo's of choice. Are you saying the OEM IW can't handle the duty if you go bigger? Just like how Go Fast Bit's made the DV+ for our OEM Diverter Value, would we need something similar in theory to maintain OEM DME functionality? I've looked into the many parts one would need to go External Waste-gate and I'm not sure I want to go down that road for a few reasons. 1. You do loose out on DME control which from I've seen would be a negative factor. 2. A lot more moving parts that you need to sync up to play nice with each other. How well does the DME and Boost Controllers and Boost Solenoids really work together. Bring back your point how fine is really fine at the end of the day with the amount of coin I would be throwing at it. Whats your thoughts on the MAC Boost Solenoid?

I wouldn't rely on the vendors tune, as my car will have additional hardware and would have BM3 custom tune it or another reputable tuner and do it properly with dyno and real world driving tuning.

To answer your 2. point, I will be doing a custom front facing intake on the turbo side and everything would be getting moved to the other side where the OEM intake normal is. DOCRACE has top mount kits for N54 and N55 with relocation kits for oil and coolant. Speedtech has been working on a kit for a while as well.

For your 3rd point, space is very tight and a lot of R&D needs to be done and unfortunately for me, somethings I won't find out until I physically have all the parts on me and playing around with it. There are top mount kits for non EFR turbos but for how I want to make power its not going to work for me, as I don't want to give up spool and have bad turbo lag for top end power. I'm looking at the Biggest B1 EFR Turbo 7163 or the Smallest B2 EFR Turbo 7670. I'm not expecting a vendor to be around for when something goes wrong and even for that long in general and is why I'm doing it by myself. I also don't really want something that a lot of people have on their car, I want to create something very unique and special.

I don't disagree $3,000 is a lot of coin for a lot of people after buying the car and making something extremely expense for the mass market considering how much our cars are in general is essentially finical suicide for a business. But I don't really care as this will be done in stages. I tend to keep my girl for many years and got her because she is a very good base car to start work off. I've already looked at full engine rebuild just from a reliability stand point. I've already got the part numbers to do the S55 HPFP and Fuel system and can do it way less than the $5,000 TTFS are charging. I know as much as I want to put her on the track and it happening are 2 different things especially with what I'm trying to do mod wise on her.

Many people are happy with just flipping to a new car every 2/3 years tune it and call it a day, which there isn't anything wrong with that. But building a car how you want can be a very very long and expensive journey but can also be a highly rewarding experience creating something no one else has and developing a bond with your car.
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
Yiruna393.50
      06-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #35
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

I was offered a free HPDE by BMW China at Shanghai F1 circuit on June 25. Will do a few tests.
      06-26-2018, 03:04 AM   #36
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was offered a free HPDE by BMW China at Shanghai F1 circuit on June 25. Will do a few tests.
Shanghai F1 is a 5.4km(3.4mile) long, very horsepower and brake demanding circuit (think Monza with Italy). There are 16 turns and the longest straight is 1.2km(3/4 quarter mile). see this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangh...tional_Circuit

Our group consisted of 1 E92 M3, 6 F80/82 M3/4 and 3 F87 M2. Each one of us did three 20-min sections.

It was a very hot day - the ambient 37.5C(100F) and 58% humidity (so it feels like 110~115F). One Jb4ed M4, melted his EWG wiring, went into limp mode in the first section and had to set to map 0 to finish the rest.

I pushed pretty hard and made the fastest lap of the day. I am not a pro racer, though holding the national B class racing license, I'm not your average driver either Brake rotor temp, at pit after cooling down lap, is still 800+C/1500+F. I think I didn't cool it well, as I still wanted to push at my cooling lap LOL. Tire temp is 80C/176F@37psi. My front is still stock PSS, it did a pretty nice job overall, though a little understeer was experienced.
From datalog the IAT maxed at 130+F (timing is capped out most of the time), oil/coolant temp is below 240F. At the end of the last section, my fuel tank had only 30km/14mile fuel left. The car ran rock solid.

The 1.2km long straight on such a hot day was the best place to demonstrate M2 M4 power difference.
Stock M2 reached 215kph at brake point.
FBO Flashed M2 on stock turbo barely see 225kph.
Stock M4 ZCP is 235kph. (10kph makes a big difference)
My car and one BM3 STG2 M4 did 245kph, the fastest of the group.
Above numbers were gotten with air con turned on.

A few pictures.
Attached Images

06-26-2018, 03:15 AM   #37
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Shanghai F1 is a 3.4 mile long, very horsepower and brake demanding race track (think Monza with Italy). There are 16 turns and the longest straight is 1.2km(3/4 quarter mile). see this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangh...tional_Circuit

Our group consisted of 1 E92 M3, 6 F80/82 M3/4 and 3 F87 M2. Each one of us did three 20-min sections.

It was a very hot day - the ambient 37.5C(100F) and 58% humidity (so feel like 110~115F). One Jb4ed M4, melted his EWG wiring, went into limp mode in the first section and had to set to map 0 to finish the rest.

I pushed pretty hard and took the fastest lap. I am not a pro racer, but hold a national B class racing license, so not your average driver either Brake rotor temp, at pit after cooling lap, is still 800+C/1500+F. I think I didn't cool it well, as I still wanted to push at my cooling lap LOL. Tire temp is 80C/176F@37psi. My front is still stock PSS, but I think it did a pretty nice job overall, though a little understeer was experienced.
From datalog the IAT maxed at 130+F (timing is capped out most of the time), oil/coolant temp is below 240F. At the end of the last section, my fuel tank had only 30km/14mile fuel left. The car ran rock solid.

The 1.2km long straight on such a hot day was the best where and when to show real horsepower. With air con turned on, FBO flashed tuned M2 cannot match M4 ZCP. Tuned M2 barely see 225kph on the odometer before it had to brake. ZCP is 235 (10kph makes a big difference). A BM3 STG2 M4 and my car both saw 245kph.

A few pictures.
Even with the new turbo and flashed, M2 couldn't match the M4 ZCP? Or am I misunderstanding the update..
      06-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #38
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Even with the new turbo and flashed, M2 couldn't match the M4 ZCP? Or am I misunderstanding the update..
I meant stock turbo M2, however is tuned, cannot match M4 ZCP.

Me and Flash tuned M4 passed M4 ZCP the way ZCP passed stock M2
      06-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #39
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I meant stock turbo M2, however is tuned, cannot match M4 ZCP.

Me and Flash tuned M4 passed M4 ZCP the way ZCP passed stock M2
Beautiful, I love it. I'm proud. Can't wait to see what the HPFP is going to do for us.
      06-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #40
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

I'm installing a M2 friend Pure Stage 2 and BM3 OTS this weekend.

Stay tuned guys.
Endeav388.50
S1monQc223.50
      07-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #41
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm installing a M2 friend Pure Stage 2 and BM3 OTS this weekend.

Stay tuned guys.
It's happening. Seems PS2 has a new compressor design for M2.
Attached Images

eeyang92318.50
      07-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #42
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Guys, I think I have the best BMW turbo installer in China here...PS2 done in 6 hours, holy crap...that's even including one hour for lunch and break. Not a single mistake. Not a single issue.

It surprises me that M2 PS2 in 2018 version is quite different than 2016/2017. It has not only a better fit and finish but also more importantly an updated design of BOTH compressor and turbine which you can clearly see, comparing the attached pictures to the ones I posted earlier.

I cannot comment what difference this smoother and nicer looking compressor would make, but turbine is definitely a freer flow design. There is a cut, which is new, on the blade edge, which is trading spool up for less back pressure, as exhaust partially bypasses turbine rather than pushes or gives momentum to it. It seems Pure is really trying to upper the power or efficiency game, trying to compete with all these new STG3 turbo.

Powertrain wise, this M2 is FBO geared minus fueling.
ARMA carbon fiber intake
Pure Inlet Pipe
TIC and CP
Wagner Evo2 Competition IC
Catless Downpipe
3D Design Catback
Pure Stage Two

BTW, he also has KW club sport 3 way, AP Pro5200 brake kit to accommodate 18" BBS RI-A on 265/285mm P Zero. And anti roll bar & etc. Pretty track prepared.

I loaded OTS STG2 93OCT (the one everyone is using) to the new PS2 and test drive it. Despite of the fact that OTS isn't tuned for radical spool up and new PS2 seems to give up a little spool up, I felt this M2 PS2 is more responsive than the 335i PS2, 1/4 mile world champion, of my another friend. PS2 has really improved over these years (only 3 years actually) in terms of everything.

To make no mistake, lag was felt. I could tell my friend wasn't particularly satisfied with PS2 power until we have open road for deep throttle on 3rd gear and a little 4th. Once PS2 gets on boost, torque blew him away, which is comparable to GP500 at these boost level as expected. The power even broke traction of his 285mm P Zero on downshift to 3rd, something he never imagine remotely possible with stock turbo. In fact he's already been used to having full traction on 2nd with FBO stock turbo.

Additionally, as long as PS2 isn't completely off boost, throttle on/off response is sharp, which has a lot to do with the great DCT. That, in conjunction with the outright power, makes it easy to forget the lag in building up boost.

Regarding power, one thing I want to add - Monstrous torque, everyone can have it with stock turbo on a tune designed for it. However, how hard it comes is how quick it falls as rpm goes up. You short shift wishing to stay on power as if you're trying to gloss over your blemishes at upper range. This is the point - with STG2 turbo, you'd only wish gear is longer so there is more you can explore.

I was trying to log a few full 3rd and 4th gear pulls. I knew without looking, everything logged on OTS would be capped out with PS2. I only wanted to check the lag in spool (compared to GP500 and stock/STG1 turbo), boost curve and rail pressure. However, it started to rain and was going to rain for next 10 days or so (raining period of the year). We'll log when possible.

Below is a log of my car (GP500) I grabbed on my way back home. There was a window rain stopped and I found dry road under elevated road. It was on 3rd gear. Not enough road for 4th gear.

GP500, ambient = 32C/90F, 80% humidity.
18~19psi
Pump gas 98RON (AKI93)
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5b38d28fd10b437334792d1b

Mighty GP500 and mighty HPFP of mine!

Despite of how poised this GP500 handles the super power (for a pump gas N55) as log shows, I'm going to dial it back a little LOL

Cheers.
Attached Images

Yiruna393.50
      07-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #43
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys, I think I have the best BMW turbo installer in China here...PS2 done in 6 hours, holy crap...that's even including one hour for lunch and break. Not a single mistake. Not a single issue.

It surprises me that M2 PS2 in 2018 version is quite different than 2016/2017. It has not only a better fit and finish but also more importantly an updated design of BOTH compressor and turbine which you can clearly see, comparing the attached pictures to the ones I posted earlier.

I cannot comment what difference this smoother and nicer looking compressor would make, but turbine is definitely a freer flow design. There is a cut, which is new, on the blade edge, which is trading spool up for less back pressure, as exhaust partially bypasses turbine rather than pushes or gives momentum to it. It seems Pure is really trying to upper the power or efficiency game, trying to compete with all these new STG3 turbo.

Powertrain wise, this M2 is FBO geared minus fueling.
ARMA carbon fiber intake
Pure Inlet Pipe
TIC and CP
Wagner Evo2 Competition IC
Catless Downpipe
3D Design Catback
Pure Stage Two

BTW, he also has KW club sport 3 way, AP Pro5200 brake kit to accommodate 18" BBS RI-A on 265/285mm P Zero. And anti roll bar & etc. Pretty track prepared.

I loaded OTS STG2 93OCT (the one everyone is using) to the new PS2 and test drive it. Despite of the fact that OTS isn't tuned for radical spool up and new PS2 seems to give up a little spool up, I felt this M2 PS2 is more responsive than the 335i PS2, 1/4 mile world champion, of my another friend. PS2 has really improved over these years (only 3 years actually) in terms of everything.

To make no mistake, lag was felt. I could tell my friend wasn't particularly satisfied with PS2 power until we have open road for deep throttle on 3rd gear and a little 4th. Once PS2 gets on boost, torque blew him away, which is comparable to GP500 at these boost level as expected. The power even broke traction of his 285mm P Zero on downshift to 3rd, something he never imagine remotely possible with stock turbo. In fact he's already been used to having full traction on 2nd with FBO stock turbo.

Additionally, as long as PS2 isn't completely off boost, throttle on/off response is sharp, which has a lot to do with the great DCT. That, in conjunction with the outright power, makes it easy to forget the lag in building up boost.

Regarding power, one thing I want to add - Monstrous torque, everyone can have it with stock turbo on a tune designed for it. However, how hard it comes is how quick it falls as rpm goes up. You short shift wishing to stay on power as if you're trying to gloss over your blemishes at upper range. This is the point - with STG2 turbo, you'd only wish gear is longer so there is more you can explore.

I was trying to log a few full 3rd and 4th gear pulls. I knew without looking, everything logged on OTS would be capped out with PS2. I only wanted to check the lag in spool (compared to GP500 and stock/STG1 turbo), boost curve and rail pressure. However, it started to rain and was going to rain for next 10 days or so (raining period of the year). We'll log when possible.

Below is a log of my car (GP500) I grabbed on my way back home. There was a window rain stopped and I found dry road under elevated road. It was on 3rd gear. Not enough road for 4th gear.

GP500, ambient = 32C/90F, 80% humidity.
18~19psi
Pump gas 98RON (AKI93)
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5b38d28fd10b437334792d1b

Mighty GP500 and mighty HPFP of mine!

Despite of how poised this GP500 handles the super power (for a pump gas N55) as log shows, I'm going to dial it back a little LOL

Cheers.
How much lag can you say there is? Is it noticeable between the GP500 And Pure?
      07-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #44
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Keep in mind 2950 Euro or 3450 USD, does not include core charge. And they don't offer core refund. You either send in your core first, or buy new from BMW (3k USD) which is what I did T_T

Also don't forget 1-2k labor for install for US and Euro guys. Life is a lot easier my mechanic would install for me for free.

A few people are paying same 6k+ for a cat back system...And Oh...bigger turbine from GP500 improve exhaust note too
HAHAHAHAHA you MUST be talking about me! ya’ll I’m selling my $6k Akrapovic exhaust for less than $4k HMU! Lololol

Sean, you gonna upgrade the HPFP? Congrats on the new turbo, can’t believe I’m just now seeing this thread.
Appreciate 0