BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How much power can M2 reliably have.

04-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
victormlife
United_States
Rep
Drives: CLK until M2 arrives

How much power can M2 reliably have.

My car is in Beginning stages of Production and I'm already looking for Mods & things that I'm going to do with it, I think I've seen every you tube video of the car ever I don't speak French or Dutch yet I've seen those too, the wait is killing me!! lol Question is how much power can we have on the N55 have and still be able to drive it reliably on the daily basis. Obviously driving it like normal but some days being a hoonigan & occasional Track day. Oh and with the 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Em-Two
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by victormlife View Post
My car is in Beginning stages of Production and I'm already looking for Mods & things that I'm going to do with it, I think I've seen every you tube video of the car ever I don't speak French or Dutch yet I've seen those too, the wait is killing me!! lol Question is how much power can we have on the N55 have and still be able to drive it reliably on the daily basis. Obviously driving it like normal but some days being a hoonigan & occasional Track day. Oh and with the 6 speed manual.
365 hp.

BMW already tuned it to an acceptable reliable level. If they could have made more hp at an acceptable reliability level they would have.

Now, that's not to say that your level of reliability is the same so if your acceptable levels are lower then you can certainly start modding and adding hp.

A more reliable way to go faster is to start dropping weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
Quote:
365 hp.

BMW already tuned it to an acceptable reliable level. If they could have made more hp at an acceptable reliability level they would have.

Now, that's not to say that your level of reliability is the same so if your acceptable levels are lower then you can certainly start modding and adding hp.

Boosting it to 450 to 500 whp to 100,000 - 150,000 miles from it. Would it last to that Mileage. I know Dinan boost to 446 HP Wonder how reliable to would be.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

1.21 Gigawatts!
Appreciate 7
      04-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If warranty and 'normal' matters to you: BMW considered it appropriate for this car, as overall-package, to tune the engine to 370hp (metric) for putting the power properly down.

If straight line speed, wild burnouts and a long-standing commercial relationship with your tire vendor matters more to you: as much added power as you like till the engine goes *kaboom* or the car unintentionally ends up somewhere off-road.
      04-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If warranty and 'normal' matters to you: BMW considered it appropriate for this car, as overall-package, to tune the engine to 370hp (metric) for putting the power properly down.

If straight line speed, wild burnouts and a long-standing commercial relationship with your tire vendor matters more to you: as much added power as you like till the engine goes *kaboom* or the car unintentionally ends up somewhere off-road.
The second one .
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

The classic n55 is a tried and true proven workhorse. It will be reliable above stock hp levels no question as many, many cars are out there with simple dp's and tunes with no issues. it's not the engine that limits power in this car, it's the turbo. do the turbo and complimenting cooling bolt ons like the intercooler etc. and your DD can easily be 440whp and still get your groceries without breaking down.
Appreciate 3
      04-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
365 hp.

I respectfully disagree.

A more accurate statement would be the BMW "tuned" the N55 in the M2 to a level that:

i) involved parts that were already available (from N55 and S55 engines) and kept the cost of the car to an "acceptable" level (i.e. limited R&D)

ii) provided that the advertised HP number of 365HP was comfortably between the lower priced 235i (at the time). and the higher priced F80/82/etc.

It has nothing to do with "if they could have made more hp at an acceptable reliability level they would have".

There are plenty of N55's out there making considerably more power than the 365 advertised...and they are not exploding.

Now given the "new" 240i advertises 335hp, I wouldn't be surprised if, for MY18 and up, BMW advertises a slight bump on the M2 HP saying a "reflashed CPU tune" or "MPPK" has been done and bumps it to 380HP advertised. This would put the M2 right in the middle between the M240i and the M4 from an "advertised" HP number.

That said the advertised HP numbers for BMW are notoriously understated.

To the OP, you can reliably increase the HP on the N55 using parts/methods that people have mentioned in this and many other treads on this forum...but at the end of the day, IF you blow it up you won't be covered under warranty...unless maybe you go with Dinan parts/tune...but then your gonna pay anyway, lol
Appreciate 11
      04-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Totally agree. I'll never understand why some want to take a balanced and well engineered package and overpower it. Not to mention the potential warranty and reliability issues. Bone stock for me thanks.
Appreciate 4
reppucci339.50
mikeahso411.50
GVN*2FLY102.00
      04-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
Bluedoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Totally agree. I'll never understand why some want to take a balanced and well engineered package and overpower it. Not to mention the potential warranty and reliability issues. Bone stock for me thanks.
I agree. The wonder of the M2 is the exquisite balance of chassis and motor.
Appreciate 2
reppucci339.50
mikeahso411.50
      04-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
The second one .
Go for it its your car. Most people here from what I have seen are happy with how the stock car performs. I for one will be modding mine since I love to tinker with cars plus there is stuff that can be improved on at least in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

As Shiv used to say, the car will last a lot longer if you have "mechanical empathy".

It's an N55 which is common in many BMW models. If you want a much better answer, ask in a forum with a 100x larger pool of owners with experience modding the N55. Like for example, the F30 forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:

Because I think 400whp - 500whp wouldn't unbalance it much. Now I haven't driven it obviously in getting it stock and will at least break in engine before I do anything. I'd like to see if I could boost it a bit more
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Quote:
The second one .
Go for it its your car. Most people here from what I have seen are happy with how the stock car performs. I for one will be modding mine since I love to tinker with cars plus there is stuff that can be improved on at least in my opinion.
Exactly I'm right with you there. I love to tinker with my things.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:

^^^ Agree with the above. Enjoy the M2 for what it is.

Want more power...wait for the CS. It will be properly engineered into the vehicle package.

Artemis, m34m, and Bluedoor are spot on and very wise! Tempting as it may be, in today's world, aftermarket engine modifications can be very tricky!

Need proof? Even Dinan admits that BMW has aggresively tuned the M2's N55 engine! By software tweaks alone Dinan can only get an extra 15-20hp (and ONLY 7ft-lbs of torque!) without going to a bigger turbo and intercooler!

There are other tuners out there, certainly very skilled, but they do not maintain the BMW warranty! THAT should tell you something... "caveat emptor"
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #16
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci View Post

Want more power...wait for the CS. It will be properly engineered into the vehicle package.

Artemis, m34m, and Bluedoor are spot on and very wise! Tempting as it may be, in today's world, aftermarket engine modifications can be very tricky!

Need proof? Even Dinan admits that BMW has aggresively tuned the M2's N55 engine! By software tweaks alone Dinan can only get an extra 15-20hp (and ONLY 7ft-lbs of torque!) without going to a bigger turbo and intercooler!

There are other tuners out there, certainly very skilled, but they do not maintain the BMW warranty! THAT should tell you something... "caveat emptor"
Not everybody will be able to get a CS and even then he would want to mod it anyway since he would not be happy with it stock. Some people just can't help it. The m2's limitation right now is just fuel and the turbo is tiny. I really think you could do mid 400's in the car and not have a single problem with the car as long as its maintained and driven properly with quality fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #17
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Yes and also keep in mind that the extra 15-20hp advantage is on a best run scenario.

When the car in on a track with engine temperature rising, the 15-20hp advantage through more aggressive tuning won't be there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

There is probably not a lot left on the table if you want 150+k mile reliability. Otherwise BMW would not have had to make so many changes to create S55. If their analysis showed they could meet their reliability targets @ 450hp by boosting a stock N55 higher then they would have done that.
Appreciate 2
reppucci339.50
      04-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
As Shiv used to say, the car will last a lot longer if you have "mechanical empathy".

It's an N55 which is common in many BMW models. If you want a much better answer, ask in a forum with a 100x larger pool of owners with experience modding the N55. Like for example, the F30 forum.
A very good suggestion actually. Being in an F30 now, I have spent most of my time on the Forum in the F30 area. I remember one of the biggest issues with boosting the F30 N55 over stock was charge pipe failures. The stock one was "flimsy" and was bursting under the added strain/pressure. Unless BMW addressed that when building the M2 "tuned" N55 - i.e. by using an S55 charge pipe (not even sure if that's possible) or some other "beefier" charge pipe...it needs to be upgraded.

/LSB
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Keep in mind that the engine in the M2 is a modified N55 with better crank and pistons. Dinan has warranted it's modification in the M235 with larger turbo, etc and the same big turbo kit on the M2 engine produces the same power but with the advantages of the M2s basically beefed up design. People who build their WRS STIs run into piston and ring issues, so if similar modified M235s were having problems I think we would be seeing that by now, and I haven't heard of any. So I think with the M2 engine tweaked by Dinan with 446 hp you'd be able to drive the car for 100k miles.

Is the DCT transmission in the M2 the same as that in the M3/4? If so then we would not need to worry about that failing.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      04-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Quote:

Not everybody will be able to get a CS and even then he would want to mod it anyway since he would not be happy with it stock. Some people just can't help it. The m2's limitation right now is just fuel and the turbo is tiny. I really think you could do mid 400's in the car and not have a single problem with the car as long as its maintained and driven properly with quality fuel.
Premium always. And mid 400s I'll be happy. Btw today I saw my first BMW M2 in person and in LBB like I order it. And holy Fuckkk it was gorgeous. I'm glad I choose that color.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
victormlife
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Keep in mind that the engine in the M2 is a modified N55 with better crank and pistons. Dinan has warranted it's modification in the M235 with larger turbo, etc and the same big turbo kit on the M2 engine produces the same power but with the advantages of the M2s basically beefed up design. People who build their WRS STIs run into piston and ring issues, so if similar modified M235s were having problems I think we would be seeing that by now, and I haven't heard of any. So I think with the M2 engine tweaked by Dinan with 446 hp you'd be able to drive the car for 100k miles.

Is the DCT transmission in the M2 the same as that in the M3/4? If so then we would not need to worry about that failing.

Mike
I got it with a 6 Speed Manual. My last 6 speed
Appreciate 0