BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust valve?

08-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
I hear ya. Like you, I drive in Sport/Sport+ most of the time so it's not an issue then. However when driving for 2+ hours on the highway with cruise set at 80mph, my wife especially doesn't enjoy the background drone we hear.

According to this document, when drive mode is set to Comfort the exhaust flap should close. Mine refuses. Have you tested this with your car sitting at idle to see if your valve closes? (after the initial startup has settled down of course)
I've let it warm up and sit and it still sits open as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #24
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '15 M235, '16 X3

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'08 335 (Retired)  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
I've let it warm up and sit and it still sits open as far as I can tell.
Interesting. Well, it seems we're the minority as most don't report having this issue. I don't know if you ever plan on adding a sport cat, but I'd like to and fear adding one to my Dinan setup would make the car obnoxiously loud since at the moment my muffler is essentially being bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. Well, it seems we're the minority as most don't report having this issue. I don't know if you ever plan on adding a sport cat, but I'd like to and fear adding one to my Dinan setup would make the car obnoxiously loud since at the moment my muffler is essentially being bypassed.
Only the cold start would be obnoxious and you can mediate that by putting your foot on the gas pedal and holding the revs up a few 100 rpm higher than idle. The car quiets down immediately.
Appreciate 2
Jcon157316.50
      08-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #26
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Only the cold start would be obnoxious and you can mediate that by putting your foot on the gas pedal and holding the revs up a few 100 rpm higher than idle. The car quiets down immediately.
I did not know that little trick. Good to know . Will try that out and see what effect it has on the car now. That's something anyway, although I do feel a brand new car should operate as intended if only on principle.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #27
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
If you want to open/shut them at will but don't want to buy the akra sound controller any of these will do the trick:

$27

http://www.bimmerlink.com/

$200

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=19726366

$400

http://machtschnell.com/exhaust-valv...vc-module.html

I have CG and use it with my Remus exhaust. Works great. Also integrates into the homelink buttons. Super cool.

would any of these work if i am buying a M Perf Exhaust for my M2 and the blue tooth controller as well as the wiring for it is not included? the second option looks like it has wiring..would i be able to replace the M performance wiring with that?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #28
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
would any of these work if i am buying a M Perf Exhaust for my M2 and the blue tooth controller as well as the wiring for it is not included? the second option looks like it has wiring..would i be able to replace the M performance wiring with that?
It could work in theory If you bought the CG precision VSC-2 which would come with a cable connecting the two valves.
      09-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #29
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It could work in theory If you bought the CG precision VSC-2 which would come with a cable connecting the two valves.
Where is the VSC-2? all i see is the VSC-1 on the website
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #30
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Where is the VSC-2? all i see is the VSC-1 on the website
That's because you're looking under M2 which only has one valve from the factory. It's under the M3/M4 section.

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=17975156
      09-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's because you're looking under M2 which only has one valve from the factory. It's under the M3/M4 section.

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=17975156
Ah Gotcha thanks!! so you think it could work in theory? i saw that mod bargain carries the part. ill try asking them in the morning. Hate how i can't buy the stock bluetooth wiring and controller from bmw -_-
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #32
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah Gotcha thanks!! so you think it could work in theory? i saw that mod bargain carries the part. ill try asking them in the morning. Hate how i can't buy the stock bluetooth wiring and controller from bmw -_-
It should work just fine since the valves are OEM and the controller was designed for them. And honestly I think it's better than the OEM MPE system. You can literally program it into your garage homelink buttons for a seamless integration. Everyone I show it to is super impressed with it.

Meanwhile, with the MPE you have a big unsightly remote you have to leave in your cup holder. Also I can't tell you how many threads i've read of people having issues with their remotes not being able to pair and battery's dying.

Trust me this is a better solution. And for $200, you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #33
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It should work just fine since the valves are OEM and the controller was designed for them. And honestly I think it's better than the OEM MPE system. You can literally program it into your garage homelink buttons for a seamless integration. Everyone I show it to is super impressed with it.

Meanwhile, with the MPE you have a big unsightly remote you have to leave in your cup holder. Also I can't tell you how many threads i've read of people having issues with their remotes not being able to pair and battery's dying.

Trust me this is a better solution. And for $200, you can't go wrong.
awesome. i sent an email to CG precision. any idea why the VSC-2 is the correct one for the M2 and not the VSC-1 which is what is listed for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #34
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
any idea why the VSC-2 is the correct one for the M2 and not the VSC-1 which is what is listed for our cars?
It's not the correct one for the M2. It's the correct one for YOU.

You're in a unique situation where you have a two valved exhaust with no connecting wiring. Therefore you need the M3/M4 part (VSC-2) because it comes with a cable connecting the two valves. Other than the extra cable it's identical to the VSC-1.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #35
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not the correct one for the M2. It's the correct one for YOU.

You're in a unique situation where you have a two valved exhaust with no connecting wiring. Therefore you need the M3/M4 part (VSC-2) because it comes with a cable connecting the two valves. Other than the extra cable it's identical to the VSC-1.
Ohh i see! well thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #36
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I too have an exhaust flap that stays in the open position. Didn't notice it until I installed the Eisenmann exhaust a couple weeks ago. I did order a new OEM valve actuator to see if that is the problem but I think it probably didn't work from the factory. If this doesn't work I will look into the CG since cold start with Fabspeed and exhaust is LOUD!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #37
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I too have an exhaust flap that stays in the open position. Didn't notice it until I installed the Eisenmann exhaust a couple weeks ago. I did order a new OEM valve actuator to see if that is the problem but I think it probably didn't work from the factory. If this doesn't work I will look into the CG since cold start with Fabspeed and exhaust is LOUD!!!
Would love to hear back on if the new valve actuator fixed the issue for you. The BMW tech at my dealer tried swapping mine out with one from another car they had on the lot but that one wouldn't work either. At the moment, my valve has been manually set to the close position because it really lessens the drone on long drives which is otherwise quite annoying. The tech is still researching the cause to try and find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #38
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Swapped New OEM actuator this morning and the valve remains open. A buddy was watching as I started the car and the valve snapped open and remained open even after it was warm and at idle. I will probably go with the CG so I can close the valve upon startup.

Last edited by dcgolfdr; 09-23-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #39
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Swapped New OEM actuator this morning and the valve remains open. A buddy was watching as I started the car and the valve snapped open and remained open even after it was warm and at idle. I will probably go with the CG so I can close the valve upon startup.
That's too bad the replacement actuator didn't work . Since you ruled out it wasn't a faulty actuator, that would lead me to believe somehow the programming in the car is the culprit. My BMW Tech hooked his laptop up to my car and found the valve was unresponsive to the commands he was giving it. He then tried this with a replacement valve and still got no response from the valve. That said, the CG website description says its "designed to create the same signals that the factory BMW computer uses to control the electronic exhaust flap"... Since the valve is unresponsive to the computers commands wouldn't that apply to the CG as well? (meaning the CG would have no effect on the valve opening or closing since the valve doesn't respond to the command)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #40
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's too bad the replacement actuator didn't work . Since you ruled out it wasn't a faulty actuator, that would lead me to believe somehow the programming in the car is the culprit. My BMW Tech hooked his laptop up to my car and found the valve was unresponsive to the commands he was giving it. He then tried this with a replacement valve and still got no response from the valve. That said, the CG website description says its "designed to create the same signals that the factory BMW computer uses to control the electronic exhaust flap"... Since the valve is unresponsive to the computers commands wouldn't that apply to the CG as well? (meaning the CG would have no effect on the valve opening or closing since the valve doesn't respond to the command)
That’s a good question because you still have to plug the OEM wiring into the CG and then CG to actuator. I figured the way it worked is it would bypass the system but they cannot be true if the OEM plug is connected. Keep us posted if the tech can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #41
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's a good question because you still have to plug the OEM wiring into the CG and then CG to actuator. I figured the way it worked is it would bypass the system but they cannot be true if the OEM plug is connected. Keep us posted if the tech can figure it out.
Will do. The Tech has an active case open right now with BMW. I'm waiting to hear back on what to try next. I wish it was simple enough where buying a product like CG would make it work! I don't think it will though because like you said, the CG still gets integrated with a part of the factory system.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #42
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Will do. The Tech has an active case open right now with BMW. I'm waiting to hear back on what to try next. I wish it was simple enough where buying a product like CG would make it work! I don't think it will though because like you said, the CG still gets integrated with a part of the factory system.
Were you ever able to get this resolved? I have a REMUS exhaust and my flaps are open 100% of the time, even when the car is off. I doubt both actuators are malfunctioning, so I have to assume it's something to do with the programming.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I'm surprised everyone seems to be able to tell if the stock valve is open or not. Was it the sound difference that's so noticeable? I don't think so.

To my knowledge, you can't really see the stock valve (on the right side) looking from the tailpipes.
      04-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #44
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
Were you ever able to get this resolved? I have a REMUS exhaust and my flaps are open 100% of the time, even when the car is off. I doubt both actuators are malfunctioning, so I have to assume it's something to do with the programming.
The dealership couldn't figure it out but agreed since they couldn't EVER get it to close that something wasn't right. They had a regional BMW engineer come and diagnose it. He hooked his equipment up to the car and was able to command the valve closed (once). As soon as he disconnected his equipment the valve popped open and we couldn't get it to shut under any drive mode configuration. He didn't really have an explanation, he just simply claimed with the stock exhaust the difference between a open/closed valve wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as with my Dinan exhaust/Res delete combo, which I can't argue with. He made some notes and said if BMW got enough complaints then they'd allocate some resources to determine a solution. Lets just say I'm not holding my breath...
Appreciate 0