BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel Questions

08-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #23
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
You all should apply Xpel or Suntek to the front of your car. You cannot tell at all if installed properly - installation is the key. Also, you WAX the Xpel or Suntek just as you do the car. Thus, no "differnce" visibly at all. You will be glad you did it. I always install on front clip, hood, front fenders, mirrors, and rocker panels. No damage on my GT4 and well worth the $1,200 to $1,400.
I also recommend getting the rear bumper done just behind the wheels, mine is starting to get peppered with chips from stones flying up from the rear tyres so have ordered some PPF to protect that area.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #24
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
I've had Opticoat on the car before which I liked, but this time decided to go with a coating with more silica in it, called 22PLE. Looks different...more glossy / wet look
That's one of the nicest photos of an M2 I've ever seen. The wet look finish is amazing. May I ask how much it cost for the 22PLE ? Is that the name of the brand or is it a treatment offered by Opticoat ?
22PLE is a different brand of coating. The cost for just the coating applied was approximately $700 Canadian. I also paid $400 for a stage one polish to get rid of some minor swirls
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #25
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
22PLE is a different brand of coating. The cost for just the coating applied was approximately $700 Canadian. I also paid $400 for a stage one polish to get rid of some minor swirls
Thanks ! After reading your post I did some research and I see that you can buy a 30 ml bottle of 22PLE for around $ 100 and apply it oneself. Is there any reason you had this done professionally ? I can't seem to find the stuff in Europe.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 06:17 AM   #26
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Thanks ! After reading your post I did some research and I see that you can buy a 30 ml bottle of 22PLE for around $ 100 and apply it oneself. Is there any reason you had this done professionally ? I can't seem to find the stuff in Europe.
Ha...yes, mainly because I'd not done anything like that before, and didn't trust myself to experiment on my brand new bimmer

Just like Xpel, you could buy the film and try to put it on yourself. But most of the cost for a good result is the installer's expertise.

22PLE is nice, but I think there are lots of good different coatings that are more readily available in EU. In addition to Opticoat I think CQuartz is fairly common...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

What do i know about films but i find it so hard to believe that these awesome coatings, that are primarily meant to protect paint, dont have a adverse effect on the films like xpel in the long run... I mean, i understand even good films like xpel have a lifespan but wonder if these 'chemicals' are shortening that lifespan...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Yes, that's right. So the things I had done at the detailer was:
  • Minor paint correction to polish out some swirls left by the dealership PDI process
  • Xpel on the front end, so bumper, full hood and fenders
  • 22PLE over the whole car

In the end maintenance is easier since you don't have to wash it as much, and as long as you take a two bucket approach to washing, keeps the car looking shiny and swirl free.
Ex-MINI, I'm in Ontario as well. Mind if I ask which shop you went to for all that work? I've found about 5-6 places in the GTA that I've been doing research on. Trying to find the right installers at a right price for PPF/coating.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #29
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
What do i know about films but i find it so hard to believe that these awesome coatings, that are primarily meant to protect paint, dont have a adverse effect on the films like xpel in the long run... I mean, i understand even good films like xpel have a lifespan but wonder if these 'chemicals' are shortening that lifespan...
According to Xpel's FAQ, there should be no issue with this. What they're clear about is not to put the coating on under as it impacts adhesion

“Will Opticoat or cQuartz hurt the film?”

Sealants such as Opticoat and cQuartz will not hurt the film or interfere with our ULTIMATE paint protection film’s self-healing properties.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #30
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Ex-MINI, I'm in Ontario as well. Mind if I ask which shop you went to for all that work? I've found about 5-6 places in the GTA that I've been doing research on. Trying to find the right installers at a right price for PPF/coating.

Thanks!
It was actually two different installers I used...they partner up as one only does tinting and PPF, and the other does detailing/polishing/sealants.

I went to Touch of Tint in Mississauga for the PPF, and Inception Auto Detailing for the polish and 22PLE. All the work was done at Touch of Tint's facilities...

The other PPF installer I was considering is Auto Links in the east end of the city. I've used them before for previous cars and they're great...highly regarded shop. I would have gone to them again for the M2, but timing didn't line up since they're so busy right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #31
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
It was actually two different installers I used...they partner up as one only does tinting and PPF, and the other does detailing/polishing/sealants.

I went to Touch of Tint in Mississauga for the PPF, and Inception Auto Detailing for the polish and 22PLE. All the work was done at Touch of Tint's facilities...

The other PPF installer I was considering is Auto Links in the east end of the city. I've used them before for previous cars and they're great...highly regarded shop. I would have gone to them again for the M2, but timing didn't line up since they're so busy right now.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Can you tell me if Touch of Tint wrapped your edges on the Xpel and how the XPel installation looks? Is it invisible? Any issues? Going to keep the car for 15+ years if it lasts as long as my current car and would like to get a good installer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #32
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. Can you tell me if Touch of Tint wrapped your edges on the Xpel and how the XPel installation looks? Is it invisible? Any issues? Going to keep the car for 15+ years if it lasts as long as my current car and would like to get a good installer.
Edges are wrapped, but they do use pre cut film so it goes around things like the side gill. But unless you're using a magnifying glass and looking specifically for it, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Keep in mind though, no one really knows if the PPF will last 15 years. I can say that the last time I had a car done 4 years ago with 3M Pro, it still looked exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #33
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Total price canadian was around $1400 all in for xpel to the entire front end as well as the 22ple polish as well as the correction treatments?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #34
LAGWAGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Total price canadian was around $1400 all in for xpel to the entire front end as well as the 22ple polish as well as the correction treatments?
That is a steal of deal!
      08-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #35
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonuspp View Post
Hi pruettfan, I see your in Arizona and I am hoping you can you recommend a shop in Phoenix that does Xpel for a reasonable price? My car should be delivered in October and I'm flying in to pick it up but don't want to drive it back to California without getting it protected. I have done some searches on Yelp but was hoping for a forum members opinion on where to go for the best price.
Without question go to Protective Film Solutions in Scottsdale. They do everything from my wife's Accord to McLaren P1's and do excellent work every time. Pricing is competitive with everyone else in the area. They have done several of my cars and at least 6 of my friends and do excellent work every time.

Also, shopping for price for something going on a 55k plus car that requires skill to do correctly might not be the best way to go. I am happy to pay a few extra bucks to get something done correctly. In the case of Protective Film Solutions they do great work for a good price.

Last edited by pruettfan; 08-29-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #36
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2
That's the price quote you got from a shop?

I would be cautious...that seems too good to be true. That's less than what most reputable shops would charge for just Xpel on the full front end

Last edited by Ex-MINI; 08-30-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #37
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:

I world be cautious...that seems too good to be true. That's less than what most reputable shops would charge for just Xpel on the full front end
I agree, this would look suspicious to me. I would seek clarification on what exact areas of the front are being covered in Xpel, what exact Xpel product (probably won't be ultimate) and what the exact coating that would be used is. I suspect the coating is the non-pro version which anyone can buy and apply.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #38
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
I actually just picked up my car after getting Xpel on the full front end, and a synthetic glass coating over the entire car. Finish is super slick to the touch and wet looking...car stays cleaner between washes...bug guts wipes off with a tiny bit of quick detailer and no scrubbing
Your car looks too good to be real Nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #39
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
Quote:
I actually just picked up my car after getting Xpel on the full front end, and a synthetic glass coating over the entire car. Finish is super slick to the touch and wet looking...car stays cleaner between washes...bug guts wipes off with a tiny bit of quick detailer and no scrubbing
Your car looks too good to be real Nice.
Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #40
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
I have never heard of this, every detailer I have ever spoken to said get it as quickly as possible because 90 days you can already tear apart the front end with rock chips and would defeat the purpose..
Clearly they dont even have the "gas-out-process" in mind when they tell you to put it on asap. Most detailers dont even understand paint at a chemistry lvl. If you are afraid of tearing up the front, dont drive it, wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Sorry but this is not an accurate statement according to the manufacture. Also modern paints cure in less than few days from the factory.
still no answer. Lol. So you call my statement inaccurate without providing any source of info that support yours?

still waiting.... LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #41
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

What I've read on forums like the AutoGeek forums is that because of the differences in techniques used for OEM painting vs body-shop painting that the off-gassing type issues don't exist (or are much quicker) with OEM. So coating a brand new car is a good idea but if you had to have panels repainted then you shouldn't coat until they have completely cured. E.g. OEM painting the paint is cured by baking but body-shops can't bake at the same level, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #42
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
What I've read on forums like the AutoGeek forums is that because of the differences in techniques used for OEM painting vs body-shop painting that the off-gassing type issues don't exist (or are much quicker) with OEM. So coating a brand new car is a good idea but if you had to have panels repainted then you shouldn't coat until they have completely cured. E.g. OEM painting the paint is cured by baking but body-shops can't bake at the same level, etc.
No, the factory(OEM-paint) still uses solvents, petroleum–based solvents and its mainly these solvents that need to go through their chemical process and gas out through the pores of the paint. Just like my vid in the earlier post highlights.

But hey, I dont really care what you do with your cars, it just annoys me when ppl dismisses statements and make their own without even knowing what they are talking about. Such ignorance....smh
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #43
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I would be cautious...that seems too good to be true. That's less than what most reputable shops would charge for just Xpel on the full front end
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
I agree, this would look suspicious to me. I would seek clarification on what exact areas of the front are being covered in Xpel, what exact Xpel product (probably won't be ultimate) and what the exact coating that would be used is. I suspect the coating is the non-pro version which anyone can buy and apply.
Did nobody see my ? at the end of that sentance?

I was asking clarification from somebody that posted that above. Not sure why I didn't quote it in my comment but they had said the $1400 and I wanted to check that was an all in price.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #44
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
You all should apply Xpel or Suntek to the front of your car. You cannot tell at all if installed properly - installation is the key. Also, you WAX the Xpel or Suntek just as you do the car. Thus, no "differnce" visibly at all. You will be glad you did it. I always install on front clip, hood, front fenders, mirrors, and rocker panels. No damage on my GT4 and well worth the $1,200 to $1,400.
Found it
Appreciate 0