BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New Nitron coilovers fitted. Litchfield Motors spec...

05-09-2021, 03:38 AM   #67
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Any reviews out there comparing the Nitron & Bilstein options side by side?

Or, are the spring rates the same and dampening tuned similarly enough bn them that it’s really just down to cost and the additional adjustability on the Nitron’s?
Think they're essentially meant to ride the same.

The damper valving is supposedly the same between the two. The springs are custom made and softer than OE let alone any other aftermarket coilover configuration.

So as youve said it's about choosing Bilstein or Nitron depending on needs.

My impression Bilstein will be more fire and forget as an OE+ replacement, that's why I've gone for it and will be asking for the minimum drop.
Appreciate 2
Kattanah137.50
ZM22810.50
      05-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #68
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Any reviews out there comparing the Nitron & Bilstein options side by side?

Or, are the spring rates the same and dampening tuned similarly enough bn them that it's really just down to cost and the additional adjustability on the Nitron's?
Main differences....

Nitron's have greater damper adjustability (as you say) almost twice as much.

Nitron's can run at OEM height (Bilstein's cannot, they start at around a 20mm drop all round).

Nitron's run a solid rear damper bush so better for track.

Both run the same Litchfield spec Springs.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      05-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #69
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_PLUS View Post
Main differences....

Nitron's can run at OEM height (Bilstein's cannot, they start at around a 20mm drop all round).

The height adjustability is a very important note!

There are some wheel/tire setups I run that rub under compression at ~20mm drop. Hard to know if that’d still be the case with softer springs & better dampening, but probably not something I’d want to risk.

I believe you already commented no additional NVH with the solid rear bushing?

Thx.
Appreciate 1
Kattanah137.50
      05-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #70
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Main differences....

The height adjustability is a very important note!

There are some wheel/tire setups I run that rub under compression at ~20mm drop. Hard to know if that’d still be the case with softer springs & better dampening, but probably not something I’d want to risk.

I believe you already commented no additional NVH with the solid rear bushing?

Thx.
No additional NVH mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #71
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

20mm is the limit for me. Litchfield have said 10-15mm as a minimum drop but that whatever the case they won't setup a slammed car that scrapes everywhere, makes sense as not a good business model!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #72
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

These seem very nice but I got burned (twice) with claims of improved ride quality (by H&R and Dinan) that I'm not gonna buy a set without knowing the spring rates.

I will likely go with TC Kline instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #73
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
20mm is the limit for me. Litchfield have said 10-15mm as a minimum drop but that whatever the case they won't setup a slammed car that scrapes everywhere, makes sense as not a good business model!
The prev Chris Harris m2 comp with the Litchfield Bilsteins seemed pretty low but I believe that was set at the max height.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #74
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
The prev Chris Harris m2 comp with the Litchfield Bilsteins seemed pretty low but I believe that was set at the max height.
How do you know that not come across anything that has said how low his was set to?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #75
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
How do you know that not come across anything that has said how low his was set to?
I'm just basing it on the videos with that showed his M2c. Not sure if he mentioned it but based on his reviews he's not one to drive his cars lower than it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #76
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Watching it back see what you mean. Would look like 20-25mm lower or so? Front clearance looks ok still though hard to tell on a gravel driveway!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 05:51 AM   #77
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Looked through some threads but having trouble coming up with the info. Is the Litchfield spec Nitron able to be purchased in USA. Also looked on Litchfield’s site and don’t see the Nitron spec at all. Assuming this is available still, and can be had in US, help a fella out with some guidance. Thx!
      05-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #78
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercorbu View Post
Looked through some threads but having trouble coming up with the info. Is the Litchfield spec Nitron able to be purchased in USA. Also looked on Litchfield’s site and don’t see the Nitron spec at all. Assuming this is available still, and can be had in US, help a fella out with some guidance. Thx!
Link is in the OP.

Purchase direct.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #79
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Some of you US guys not getting that there are other countries in the world again!

Litchfield is a tuning shop in the UK. The UK is not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #80
Rapture1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [8.00]
2017 Porsche C4S  [9.50]
2011 BMW 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2007 Audi RS4  [5.50]
2004 VW R32  [6.50]
2021 M2 Competition  [9.50]
Quote:
Hi,

I also found this kit very interesting. Litchfield is a UK based tuner and does not have a U.S. distributor. As M2C mentioned, you can purchase direct from them, however the Nitron kit is not currently on their "shop" section. I believe they are waiting for a few kits to come in soon.

Look at the very first link on this thread, I believe that is the only place the kit is described. Other than the difference in height capability, the additional suspension settings, and solid mounts for the rear shocks, I believe the spring rates and dampening is the same as the Bilstein kit, both are custom Litchfield spec.

Initially I had some problems communicating with them via e-mail, but we cleared that up using an alternate e-mall address. I mentioned I had ordered the Richland Forged wheels with an M2 specific offset. I wanted to make sure there would not be a clearance issue. They have only tested the kit with OE wheels, so I'm not certain about clearance. That may be a deal breaker for me.

I also inquired about VAT charges. The law changed this year, and I'm not clear if they have to charge VAT on exports, I don't believe they used to, which would be a nice bonus.

Looks like a great product.
      05-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #81
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture1 View Post
Hi,

I also found this kit very interesting. Litchfield is a UK based tuner and does not have a U.S. distributor. As M2C mentioned, you can purchase direct from them, however the Nitron kit is not currently on their "shop" section. I believe they are waiting for a few kits to come in soon.

Look at the very first link on this thread, I believe that is the only place the kit is described. Other than the difference in height capability, the additional suspension settings, and solid mounts for the rear shocks, I believe the spring rates and dampening is the same as the Bilstein kit, both are custom Litchfield spec.

Initially I had some problems communicating with them via e-mail, but we cleared that up using an alternate e-mall address. I mentioned I had ordered the Richland Forged wheels with an M2 specific offset. I wanted to make sure there would not be a clearance issue. They have only tested the kit with OE wheels, so I'm not certain about clearance. That may be a deal breaker for me.

I also inquired about VAT charges. The law changed this year, and I'm not clear if they have to charge VAT on exports, I don't believe they used to, which would be a nice bonus.

Yep I’m headed down the same path and the greater height range including nearer to stock appeals to me. I have always invested in a solid suspension in my modified cars, not just for lowering and not necessarily for track use. I also like that the adjustment range is greater, including to softer. I had initially tried that OP link before posting my question, and there wasn’t a live link to order these on their website, just the description. Your thought makes sense regarding that due to supply, I appreciate that approach if so. I’ll keep my eye on these.
      05-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #82
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Looked through some threads but having trouble coming up with the info. Is the Litchfield spec Nitron able to be purchased in USA. Also looked on Litchfield's site and don't see the Nitron spec at all. Assuming this is available still, and can be had in US, help a fella out with some guidance. Thx!
Hi,

Richland would be my first point of call to find out if their wheels will fit a M2 and if Richland cannot confirm their own wheels don't work with OEM suspension, I would question their development work.

FYI.....The Litchfield Nitron kit is no larger than the OEM suspension I removed. BMW 437m and 763m wheels fit perfect with the Nitron kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #83
Rapture1
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [8.00]
2017 Porsche C4S  [9.50]
2007 Audi RS4  [5.50]
2004 VW R32  [6.50]
Quote:
Richland would be my first point of call to find out if their wheels will fit a M2 and if Richland cannot confirm their own wheels don't work with OEM suspension, I would question their development work.

FYI.....The Litchfield Nitron kit is no larger than the OEM suspension I removed. BMW 437m and 763m wheels fit perfect with the Nitron kit.
Thanks M2C,

The Richland wheels fit the M2, they have enhanced versions of their wheel specifically for the M2 with a dedicated offset. Much better fit than wheels designed for the M3/4. Because they are a bit wider they will be about 2.5mm closer to the front strut/spring. Probably should not be an issue but it would be nice to confirm. I've read that some folks have had issues fitting wider or different offset wheels with the MPS because the springs are wider.

If you are saying that the Nitron kit does not have springs wider than the stock springs, I should be able to confirm the kit will fit once I receive the tires and mount the new wheels. That's another thing we don't have in the U.S. yet, Michelin PS4S in the 285/30/19 size. You guys get everything first
      06-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #84
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Has anyone in the US installed the Litchfield Spec Bilstein suspension? Would love to hear impressions.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #85
Rapture1
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [8.00]
2017 Porsche C4S  [9.50]
2007 Audi RS4  [5.50]
2004 VW R32  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Has anyone in the US installed the Litchfield Spec Bilstein suspension? Would love to hear impressions.
I would really like to, but they are having supplier issues and they are not currently available. I would prefer the Nitron version but they are also not available.
      06-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #86
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
I would really like to, but they are having supplier issues and they are not currently available. I would prefer the Nitron version but they are also not available.
Bummer
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #87
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

It is interesting that the KW V3 is the most expensive option among Billstein, Nitron and Ohlins.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...ling-upgrades/

I presume more expensive means better?
Or is it not the case?

Last edited by kart driver; 09-16-2021 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:19 AM   #88
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
It is interesting that the KW V3 is the most expensive option among Billstein, Nitron and Ohlins.

I presume more expensive means better?
Or is it not the case?
Correct link is