BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel studs - change how often?

02-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Wheel studs - change how often?

So I installed a Macht Schnell Wheel Stud conversion kit, mainly for the convenience of taking wheels on/off.

The description (https://machtschnell.com/competition...rsion-kit.html) says they should be changed after every race season.

If I'm not tracking the car, but do long spirited drives say 4 times a year, with short daily driving the rest of the time, at what interval would people recommend replacing the studs?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 03:57 AM   #2
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
So I installed a Macht Schnell Wheel Stud conversion kit, mainly for the convenience of taking wheels on/off.

The description (https://machtschnell.com/competition...rsion-kit.html) says they should be changed after every race season.

If I'm not tracking the car, but do long spirited drives say 4 times a year, with short daily driving the rest of the time, at what interval would people recommend replacing the studs?
At this rate you have years before you'll need to replace them. I track my car 10-15 times a year and plan to replace studs every two years.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
butraymond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post

First season track my m2c. Planning to do about 12 events. I'll change the studs kit before next season.
Not so much money for a set of kit but the failure cost is huge. See below...

https://www.core4motorsports.com/gal...mw-wheel-studs
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just saw a p-car at the track last weekend lose 3 studs on one wheel, and 1 on another, in the same day. Fortunately none were on track. He had them on for a bit over a year.

I'd highly recommend replacing them between 1 and 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

For street, they will last indefinitely

Track, with the heat cycles, loads from RComp and slick tires, etc. it's an easy once per season swap/insurance to change them out. Nothing ruins a track event like a broken stud - hopefully occurring in the paddock vs on track!
Appreciate 0