BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber Plates Design Comparison

10-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #89
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

I'm really hoping to not need a helper spring since that would require completely disassembling the camber plates and struts, and maybe even getting another alignment.

I jacked up one side today with full droop, and the spring stayed seated with no issues. So I think I might be ok. If it becomes a frequent problem, I'll reconsider the helper springs.
Attached Images

10-25-2022, 10:14 PM   #90
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
The shop mentioned that the springs didn't seat properly on the camber plates the first time they took the car off the lift. They raised the car back up and manually guided the springs onto the plates with a pole or something like that, but it required 2 people. I'm planning to have my car jacked up regularly while swapping pads by myself, so this sounds like it could be a major pain.

I reached out to Vorshlag and asked if I could let the spring not seat properly, and then drive a couple turns until they drop into place, and they said there wouldn't be any risk from doing this, there would just be a loud clang when the springs drop. Does that approach seem reasonable to you all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
I'm really hoping to not need a helper spring since that would require completely disassembling the camber plates and struts, and maybe even getting another alignment.

I jacked up one side today with full droop, and the spring stayed seated with no issues. So I think I might be ok. If it becomes a frequent problem, I'll reconsider the helper springs.
It's never a good sign when your shop says there's an issue with springs seating, but can't tell you exactly why. You have "stock format" springs, so if they don't seat properly with the Vorshlag plates, they won't seat properly with the stock top mounts either. You shouldn't need a helper with them. The only way you could have an issue is if you didn't order Vorshlag plates with the correct spring perch (you need the stock/OE spring perch type).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #91
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's never a good sign when your shop says there's an issue with springs seating, but can't tell you exactly why. You have "stock format" springs, so if they don't seat properly with the Vorshlag plates, they won't seat properly with the stock top mounts either. You shouldn't need a helper with them. The only way you could have an issue is if you didn't order Vorshlag plates with the correct spring perch (you need the stock/OE spring perch type).
Good thoughts. I’ve had the eibach springs for years with no issues. This was the first time I’ve heard of any seating problems. I ordered the OE spring perch version from Vorshlag, and they appear to have delivered that.

I can’t replicate the situation the shop described and Vorshlag says NBD, so I’m going to move forward business as usual. If anything changes, I’ll post back here.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #92
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

I'm about to order the Millway Camber plate *2022 https://www.millway.se/camber-plates-bmw-m2-f87.html, I've had good experience with their street version for my F80 a couple years ago. So I'm looking forward to trying out their newest design albeit they looked closely at their competition and fitted a larger uniball in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #93
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My 2022 Millways have arrived! Can't wait to install them on the M2.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #94
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamongkad View Post
My 2022 Millways have arrived! Can't wait to install them on the M2.
Looks nice. I hope the bigger spherical bearing lasts longer!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #95
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Looks nice. I hope the bigger spherical bearing lasts longer!
Me too, I hope the NVH isn't as bad. I've had a lot of good things to say about the street version of their camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #96
Toroinu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c, BMW 528i, Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamongkad View Post
Me too, I hope the NVH isn't as bad. I've had a lot of good things to say about the street version of their camber plates.
I installed the Millway street camber plate over the weekend with my
Ohlins. Zero clunks/knocks/metal to metal sound you hear horror stories about with other style/brands.

However I believe I did get more tire/road noise when driving on the freeway.

Also it looked like they changed the design a bit recently. I had to install studs over the camber plates and then use the included 13mm hex. Getting the studs on took some time since it had red lock right from factory.

I believe before the mounting design was just Allen bolts.

Edit: just realized you went with non street plates haha. So please disregard my review on the street plates haha

Last edited by Toroinu; 11-14-2022 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #97
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroinu View Post
I installed the Millway street camber plate over the weekend with my
Ohlins. Zero clunks/knocks/metal to metal sound you hear horror stories about with other style/brands.

However I believe I did get more tire/road noise when driving on the freeway.

Also it looked like they changed the design a bit recently. I had to install studs over the camber plates and then use the included 13mm hex. Getting the studs on took some time since it had red lock right from factory.

I believe before the mounting design was just Allen bolts.

Edit: just realized you went with non street plates haha. So please disregard my review on the street plates haha
Oh you're good! TBH I haven't installed my plates yet as I'm super busy. I'm hoping to get it done though in the next few weeks! Thanks for the review, I'm someone out there who has bought the new street plates will find it useful.
Appreciate 0