BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My M2 Allocation - Torn Between DCT and Manual

View Poll Results: DCT or Manual
DCT 53 38.97%
Manual 83 61.03%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

03-25-2019, 02:04 AM   #23
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

With the DCT, you can left foot brake, giving what I think is unmatched total control of the car no matter what is happening around you.

The brake pedal is so small on this car (because it's the brake pedal for a MT car, duh), one really needs to put on a bigger brake pedal to be able to left foot brake w/o twisting to reach the brake pedal with your left foot.

I was reading an old time Porsche driving book suggested by a poster, and the author (Vic Elford) said that learning to left foot brake took him weeks due to the difference in foot pressure involved (vs. stepping on the clutch). So there's that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #24
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

-Hockenheim Silver Metallic
-Blue Stitching
-Executive Package
-788 M Black
-DCT
Nice build

Nice but what about sunroof? I ordered my car without but I've driven one with
wish I added it in for sure, it's in Jersey port now can't change it.

Car is small, IMO: feels dark, closed in and for whatever reason I forgot the back windows are set in place, I like the tilt feature, airs out the car (feels good)

if you drive in heavy traffic normally DCT if it's just a weekend car 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #25
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I drove manuals exclusively for 25 years, and then I when I went to BMW I switched to auto's. I had my reasons for it, mostly the increasingly bad traffic in the Portland metro, an escalating issue with my left knee, and I was commuting in and out of downtown every day (and then work moved out of downtown shortly after I picked up my 340). The ZF-8 in my two F30's was the perfect commuting transmission, and the logic when you poked the throttle hard was good enough to have some fun with. I almost never used the paddles on my 340 because the logic was so good. But it was really boring. My 340 was rarely fun, even when it was moving very fast.

I went to the M2C to get away from boring and was convinced that the DCT would be more fun than the ZF-8 with sharper, faster shifts. I had test driven one care with a DCT (a 2016 M3). It seemed better and paddle shifting felt like it had a point.

The DCT can be fun in manual mode. It's never as fun as a manual. Acceleration runs are fun enough, but that doesn't make up for it. It looks like I'm taking a new job that will again put me through the commute into downtown a couple of days a week (after 90 days of having to do it everyday), but if I could trade my car for an identical one with a manual, I'd do it in a heartbeat right now, no matter how much it might kill my knee every once in a blue moon. Once the job is settled and I can telework 3 days a week, I may possibly look at getting out of this car if I can find the right vehicle with a manual.

Seriously, this is a special car, the best I've ever owned, and I may let it go at some point because the DCT and I aren't getting along well enough.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Really depends on how heavy traffic is. You can always manually shift the DCT- you get that great feeling of linearity by staying in a single gear till you want or have to change. You can have as much control as with a manual except on the rare occasion you would modulate the clutch in a particular way. With DCT the computer is in charge of the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #27
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post
I hear you, I was hesitant to make this thread and have beaten the search function up.

In the past with other performance cars, I've never felt automatic was even an option so it's a odd feeling considering it.

If I had the ability to test drive both I think the decision would be a lot easier.
Keep in mind this is automated manual, not an automatic.

1) DCT will let you roll like a MT. It wont creep forward unless you want it to.
2) Hit the rev limiter over and over in a gear (it wont shift @ redline in manual mode).
3) No Torque converter.
And OP, ask yourself, how does it creep forward when you want it to?

You play with touching the gas pedal - which can be lots of fun (not) in stop and go traffic.
Actually the creep mode is ideal for stop and go traffic.
      03-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Unless your left leg and right arm is amputated, get the manual.

If you can operate a stick, what's the point of a car like this in a push-button automatic (I know, dual clutch ) I already have a PlayStation..

The only thing that still draws me to BMWs is the fact they still offer a stick.

Audi and Mercedes make much more cohesive and handsome vehicles and they would be on my short list if BMW didn't offer a manual option.

BMW knows they gain a lot of market share by keeping the 6 speed available. Take advantage of the free stick, while you still can.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #29
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

6MT all the way...I am very happy with it on my M2C

Every drive feels like an occasion as I like to roll my gears. When I get the rev, shift and throttle connections right it is pure magic (in this day and age where everything is done for you by the ECU).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Manual. DCT is interesting for maybe 2 days then it's as boring as watching a wall. Manual.
      03-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #31
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Unless your left leg and right arm is amputated, get the manual.

If you can operate a stick, what's the point of a car like this in a push-button automatic (I know, dual clutch ) I already have a PlayStation..

The only thing that still draws me to BMWs is the fact they still offer a stick.

Audi and Mercedes make much more cohesive and handsome vehicles and they would be on my short list if BMW didn't offer a manual option.

BMW knows they gain a lot of market share by keeping the 6 speed available. Take advantage of the free stick, while you still can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
6MT all the way...I am very happy with it on my M2C

Every drive feels like an occasion as I like to roll my gears. When I get the rev, shift and throttle connections right it is pure magic (in this day and age where everything is done for you by the ECU).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Manual. DCT is interesting for maybe 2 days then it's as boring as watching a wall. Manual.
Manual guys, what are your thoughts on the rev matching and the car on the highway?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #32
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I have that issue where I wonder about how green the grass is on the other side. I bought a 6MT, but I dream about the DCT all the time. Haha. Why can't they just magically build one that can do both!

One thing to remember though, there's no way around the auto-rev match (that I know of) unless you turn all the nannies off. I hated the auto-rev at first, but I really like it now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #33
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

There is no wrong choice, hence why I did not select a poll choice.

I have never owned a DCT M car and have owned a few M3/2s, but have owned a PDK-S GT3. I struggled going to the dual clutch in the .1 3. That said, the PDK-S experience was utterly amazing. I had an equally hard time going back to a manual in the .2. I have driven PDK Carreras and was not that impressed. With Porsche there is a distinct difference between PDK and PDK-S. I believe BMW's DCT is right up there maybe not at PDK-S level (IDK ~ other than what others have said) and would not have a problem owning wither transmission in the M2(C). If I tracked a lot, DCT would be my choice. My manual M2C is slower than DCT and could use a little taller 6th gear, but I enjoy the experience and do not regret my choice at all. I previously owned the LCI M2 also with a manual.
      03-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #34
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Manual guys, what are your thoughts on the rev matching and the car on the highway?
I like the rev matching feature... highway opinion below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post

I have never owned a DCT M car and have owned a few M3/2s, but have owned a PDK-S GT3. I struggled going to the dual clutch in the .1 3. That said, the PDK-S experience was utterly amazing. I had an equally hard time going back to a manual in the .2. I have driven PDK Carreras and was not that impressed. With Porsche there is a distinct difference between PDK and PDK-S. I believe BMW's DCT is right up there maybe not at PDK-S level (IDK ~ other than what others have said) and would not have a problem owning wither transmission in the M2(C). If I tracked a lot, DCT would be my choice. My manual M2C is slower than DCT and could use a little taller 6th gear, but I enjoy the experience and do not regret my choice at all. I previously owned the LCI M2 also with a manual.
      03-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #35
jashton
Private
Rep

A couple of more questions in addition to post #31.

DCT guys, why specifically did you choose DCT? I’ve seen a few responses regarding traffic, but none really pertaining to why I’m considering it. To elaborate, for me, I feel like the auto rev matching disconnects you from the manual car and is part of what brought the DCT into play for me.

In addition, I’m concerned about the gearing on the highway with MT. From the sounds of it people act like it’s missing a gear. I’ve concluded that my biggest worry with the manual is being underwhelmed with the gear box.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #36
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:

Interesting comments on PDK vs PDK-S. I've only driven PDK (781 Cayman base), and wasn't particularly impressed. Shifts weren't as fast as I expected, and also hung on a couple high RPM upshifts for some reason. Also didn't care for the paddle feel at all.
      03-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #37
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

DCT guys, why specifically did you choose DCT? I’ve seen a few responses regarding traffic, but none really pertaining to why I’m considering it. To elaborate, for me, I feel like the auto rev matching disconnects you from the manual car and is part of what brought the DCT into play for me.

In addition, I’m concerned about the gearing on the highway with MT. From the sounds of it people act like it’s missing a gear. I’ve concluded that my biggest worry with the manual is being underwhelmed with the gear box.
My 2 cents:

1) Car is faster and imho, feels faster. (have driven an M2, M3, M4, M2C) both DCT and MT.
2) Down shifts are intoxicating.
3) Best iteration of the DCT to date.
4) Your option to drive in Auto or Manual mode.
5) Focus on driving (aka on Track).
6) No money shift.

Had a 2018 Caymen S for the weekend, and I prefer the DCT to the PDK in the Caymen.
Attached Images

JMM125.50
      03-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #38
GoHerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 x5 40i 18 540xi 23 F150

Quote:

1. The wife isn't great with a MT and I want her to enjoy this car as well as me.

Kind of related, first DCT for me, in Sport+ MDM it's not easy getting a smooth start in 1st. Don't have many miles on the car and assume its an issue with me and need to adjust.
The lightning fast shifts are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #39
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I like the manual transmission that comes with these cars. I know some argue it's not up to Porsche standards but it's superior to 95% of the manual transmissions available today. I feel it's so good that this would be the perfect setup for a novice to learn driving a manual transmission. That said if I could go back in time I would have ponied up the extra money for the DCT as there's just too much traffic in the city I live and too many days I find myself lamenting the decision to save a a few bucks and forego the DCT which better suits my needs. Also the car is straight up faster with the DCT and I know a lot of people don't care about straight line acceleration but I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #40
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Why can't they just magically build one that can do both!
I wonder this all the time. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the paddles aren't physically connected to anything right? They're just sending electronic inputs to the transmission?

You know what else sends electronic inputs? The a nice shifter from a simulation rig. It wouldn't be the same as a true manual, since you still wouldn't have a clutch, but i feel like it'd be more fun than swiping at some paddles (which you could also have as redundant shifters if you wanted.)

Its weird to me nobody has done this yet.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #41
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
Interesting comments on PDK vs PDK-S. I've only driven PDK (781 Cayman base), and wasn't particularly impressed. Shifts weren't as fast as I expected, and also hung on a couple high RPM upshifts for some reason. Also didn't care for the paddle feel at all.
Not to get too far OT. I found PDK to be very boring. PDK S is intoxicating. The shifts are hit you in the head hard, explosive sounding (especially downshifts) and lightening fast. Auto mode which I seldom used is also amazing in the mountains or the track. It would execute shifts I wouldn't even think of. Pull both paddles in for neutral too PDK-S is only available in the GT3 and RS. Back to topic...

Last edited by devo; 03-25-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
alan7467128.00
      03-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #42
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I cannot imagine you being underwhelmed with the manual box. I am not pushing that selection for you but really doubt this will happen. As for the highway, I do not feel it needs a taller gear as it is perfectly fine when traveling at reasonable speeds. I'm sure fuel mileage will suffer somewhat with the higher rpms while on the highway. That was not important to me.
Poochie9104.50
      03-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #43
jashton
Private
Rep

Quote:
I cannot imagine you being underwhelmed with the manual box. I am not pushing that selection for you but really doubt this will happen. As for the highway, I do not feel it needs a taller gear as it is perfectly fine when traveling at reasonable speeds. I'm sure fuel mileage will suffer somewhat with the higher rpms while on the highway. That was not important to me.
I really appreciate the input, you've addressed two of my biggest concerns in terms of the gearing and rev matching. At the end of the day, either way, I don't think it would make me regret my decision of choosing it.

I think we've decided on manual so I may have my order in as soon as today.

Did anybody add any port installed options or think any are worth adding?

Also, is there a painted caliper option that I'm missing?

Last edited by jashton; 03-25-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #44
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really appreciate the input, you've addressed two of my biggest concerns in terms of the gearing and rev matching. At the end of the day, either way, I don't think it would make me regret my decision of choosing it.

I think we've decided on manual so I may have my order in as soon as today.

Did anybody add any port installed options or think any are worth adding?

Also, is there a painted caliper option that I'm missing?
BMW has added some port installed options since ordering mine. Depends if you are a DIYer and want to save a few bucks. Carbon rear diffusor is a very nice item many DIY. I believe these can be had for $850+/-.

The deck lid carbon spoiler would be a nice port install if available as this can be another PITA to install. I've been told this anyway.

I (and many others) recently installed SS pedal covers. PITA to install, but very nice compliment to the interior. There are many dealers who sell on line with great discounts. Pedal covers for ex. cost me $99 and a few "F" bombs

There are not caliper color options; you're stuck with silver. I love the color.

Last edited by devo; 03-25-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50