BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Those of you with catless downpipes

View Poll Results: Soot on rear bumper?
Yes 8 36.36%
No 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

03-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Those of you with catless downpipes

Do you guys have issues with soot or carbon on the rear bumper? I'd expect more soot on the exhaust tips but just wondering if you guys notice black soot on your rear bumper as well.

I currently have a sport cat and thinking of making the switch to catless
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Do you guys have issues with soot or carbon on the rear bumper? I'd expect more soot on the exhaust tips but just wondering if you guys notice black soot on your rear bumper as well.

I've been running catless for about 3 - 4 months and I noticed noticed no soot on the bumper and very little difference on the exhaust tips. I don't let my car get extremely dirty either between washes. I am using Active Autowerke's Signature Turbo-back Exhaust for your reference.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

I've been catless for about 6 months. Absolutely no soot on bumper any barely any difference on the exhaust tips.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Any problems with smell?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Any problems with smell?
The smell is noticeably different for me outside the car only. Inside its normal smelling.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

looks like it's pretty close to half and half according to voters (i accidentally clicked "yes" while on mobile app)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Do those running catless run with an engine light?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

I have VF Engineering tune so no CEL. Smell is noticeable outside the car, nothing inside with windows up or down.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
The smell is noticeably different for me outside the car only. Inside its normal smelling.
+1 here for AA setup and same feedback as Spartan King

No CEL thanks to AA tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
Rex Mason
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

no soot for me. bootmod3 stage 2 on 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Blew.2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M2

I've had the down pipe for about 2-3 months and I haven't gotten any soot on the bumper nor on the exhaust. I'm running the stock exhaust for reference.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 -FBO + PS2

Quote:

I saw you are in San Diego, hit me up if you want to hear mine in person. Sound is awesome with no drone in the cabin with the oem catback on. Easy to short shift and keep noise down around Law Enforcement too with the sport mode buttons. I have MHD tune and the cold start delete feature selected. This is a must for my neighborhood.

I have had a VRSF catless on for over a month now (OEM exhaust) and have not seen any abnormal soot buildup on the bumper. And I wash once a week so even the exhaust tips aren't that bad. Def smell the fuel when sitting idle or after getting out of the car, doesn't bother me. If you're in traffic with the windows down you can use the auto/start/off feature on your ignition.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
I saw you are in San Diego, hit me up if you want to hear mine in person. Sound is awesome with no drone in the cabin with the oem catback on. Easy to short shift and keep noise down around Law Enforcement too with the sport mode buttons. I have MHD tune and the cold start delete feature selected. This is a must for my neighborhood.

I have had a VRSF catless on for over a month now (OEM exhaust) and have not seen any abnormal soot buildup on the bumper. And I wash once a week so even the exhaust tips aren't that bad. Def smell the fuel when sitting idle or after getting out of the car, doesn't bother me. If you're in traffic with the windows down you can use the auto/start/off feature on your ignition.
Thanks for the offer! I'm actually getting catless downpipes installed this weekend already. Glad to hear that you don't have any soot buildup. I'm like you and try to wash every weekend, barring the rain we've had the past few weeks. Currently I'm running Remus catback with sport cat and cold start off so I'm pretty accustomed to having to short shift already
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 -FBO + PS2

Quote:
Thanks for the offer! I'm actually getting catless downpipes installed this weekend already. Glad to hear that you don't have any soot buildup. I'm like you and try to wash every weekend, barring the rain we've had the past few weeks. Currently I'm running Remus catback with sport cat and cold start off so I'm pretty accustomed to having to short shift already
Would love to hear that Remus when its all put back together! If you are on Instagram hit me up and I can add you to the local SD M2 group we have going.

@Grauer_Power
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
Quote:
Would love to hear that Remus when its all put back together! If you are on Instagram hit me up and I can add you to the local SD M2 group we have going.

@Grauer_Power
Added you! I'm @im2bluee
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thank you to everyone who voted! I went with the Wagner catless. I was scared there might be rasp with with my Remus but sounds very similar to my sport cat but just more volume.

I'm happy
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
what exactly does BM3 stg2 do to the rediness monitor of the second 02 sensor...does the dme fool the Inspection Process by throwing a lower voltage as if the second 02 and Cat are functioning does it just shut of rediness?
      03-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM2Power View Post
what exactly does BM3 stg2 do to the rediness monitor of the second 02 sensor...does the dme fool the Inspection Process by throwing a lower voltage as if the second 02 and Cat are functioning does it just shut of rediness?
I believe it just disables both O2s and places them in a "not-Available" state. Same with the MAF sensor (for intakes).

This is one of the reasons I wouldn't go flash tune; here, NY state inspection only allows one emission control system to be in a non-ready state or else you automatically fail, in which each failed attempt gets recorded in Carfax, under the vehicle's history.

You used to be able to bribe the inspector but now they video tape the inspection process and save it in the DMV database. So that $100 "tip" doesn't cut it anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Poochie;24589330]I believe it just disables both O2s and places them in a "not-Available" state. Same with the MAF sensor (for intakes).

This is one of the reasons I wouldn't go flash tune; here, NY state inspection only allows one emission control system to be in a non-ready state or else you automatically fail, in which each failed attempt gets recorded in Carfax, under the vehicle's history.

You used to be able to bribe the inspector but now they video tape the inspection process and save it in the DMV database. So that $100 "tip" doesn't cut it anymore. [/QUO

I assume you took this picture at idle...

When the cars cold and / or idling, and even at low load it will usually switch to open loop in which the DME is controlling everything according to a preset tables (And the input of a few obvious sensors, tps, tmap) 100% IGNORES PRIMARY 02... Once at Norm Operating temp, and moving it switches to closed loop and relies almost 100% on the primary 02 for short term lambda.

I too use torque to determine if the cars @ NOT, i use this lol

And the DOT installed Cameras in the early 2000s....However we used to put a box in front of it, some would smear some oil. We even had to get a dot approved 80K lod bearing dyno, and exhaust sniffers..But no OBD. Now it NEEDS the 02 to determine if the cars running rich or lean and egt or evap or iacv are also checked... Good thing is, PTF BM3 dont alter idle parameters.... So if you clear the code and if the test is done after enetering open loop but before the Cel comes on, In theory it should pass....I will find out soon..

I used to have ASE NYS Inspectors Licence when it was much different, however my stepdad who is a career certified chevy tech, swears he uses this technique to pass catless vettes for friends all the time...
Attached Images

Last edited by DKX4///M; 04-13-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      04-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=DKM2Power;24651614]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I believe it just disables both O2s and places them in a "not-Available" state. Same with the MAF sensor (for intakes).

You used to be able to bribe the inspector but now they video tape the inspection process and save it in the DMV database. So that $100 "tip" doesn't cut it anymore. [/QUO

I assume you took this picture at idle...

When the cars cold and / or idling, and even at low load it will usually switch to open loop in which the DME is controlling everything according to a preset tables (And the input of a few obvious sensors, tps, tmap) 100% IGNORES PRIMARY 02... Once at Norm Operating temp, and moving it switches to closed loop and relies almost 100% on the primary 02 for short term lambda.

I too use torque to determine if the cars @ NOT, i use this lol

And the DOT installed Cameras in the early 2000s....However we used to put a box in front of it, some would smear some oil. We even had to get a dot approved 80K lod bearing dyno, and exhaust sniffers..But no OBD. Now it NEEDS the 02 to determine if the cars running rich or lean and egt or evap or iacv are also checked... Good thing is, PTF BM3 dont alter idle parameters.... So if you clear the code and if the test is done after enetering open loop but before the Cel comes on, In theory it should pass....I will find out soon..

I used to have ASE NYS Inspectors Licence when it was much different, however my stepdad who is a career certified chevy tech, swears he uses this technique to pass catless vettes for friends all the time...
Hey, thanks for your information!

I'm having an issue passing inspection in NY due to the new advance system they use to eliminate fraud. My vehicle is not placing the cat and O2 in a "ready" state, which I've narrowed down to my piggyback tune as the culprit.

Silly me thought that as long as the vehicle doesn't throw a "check engine" light, I would pass NY emissions, but their detection system digs deeper than that.

I was planning on a high-flow cat but F that now, these cars are to sensitive to changes..

Piggyback tunes and State Inspections https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603758
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #21
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Poochie;24651700]
Quote:

I'm having an issue passing inspection in NY due to the new advance system they use to eliminate fraud. My vehicle is not placing the cat and O2 in a "ready" state, which I've narrowed down to my piggyback tune as the culprit.

Silly me thought that as long as the vehicle doesn't throw a "check engine" light, I would pass NY emissions, but their detection system digs deeper than that.

I was planning on a high-flow cat but F that now, these cars are to sensitive to changes..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24650832
Absolute worst case throw your stock cat back in...its a 20 min job with the proper tools.

If you dont have it, lmk i have one you can borrow, ill even put it i for you if needed...Just gotta use it first lol...
      04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=DKM2Power;24651711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24650832
Absolute worst case throw your stock cat back in...its a 20 min job with the proper tools.

If you dont have it, lmk i have one you can borrow, ill even put it i for you if needed...Just gotta use it first lol...
It has a stock cat, the piggyback is just disabling or sending a wonky signal to the DME, which in turn is disabling the cat's reading.

I was just saying, I'm not messing with the emission system, this ish is a headache when you have to deal with the blowbacks, in the quest for more power.

All my leased cars that I left, I never had an issue and the maintenance was included.

Carefree, that how I like to roll...
Appreciate 0