BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New Burger Tuning Bms Aluminum N55 Performance Intake Gloss Black Finish

01-24-2019, 12:48 AM   #23
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Does this one actually have proper MAF size or nah?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #24
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I highly doubt the claim that this intake outperforms all other N55 intakes...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #25
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Here is one of the tests and research that I quickly found for you to review.
https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

So a manufacturer states that it's products are good and safe? Amazing. Tobacco companies did the same thing for years. They even had Doctors endorse their products. It's called marketing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:

Here is one of the tests and research that I quickly found for you to review.
https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

So a manufacturer states that it's products are good and safe? Amazing. Tobacco companies did the same thing for years. They even had Doctors endorse their products. It's called marketing.
To be fair, the "research" you posted isn't really valid either. The additional weight could just as easily been oil blowby rather than their test media. And I suspect it is with the large disparity in data.

Every other data source I've found has oiled vs. dry within a percent or two in contaminant filtration.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #27
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Does this work on the stock tune? MAF scaling the same, no codes etc?
      01-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #28
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
To be fair, the "research" you posted isn't really valid either. The additional weight could just as easily been oil blowby rather than their test media. And I suspect it is with the large disparity in data.

Every other data source I've found has oiled vs. dry within a percent or two in contaminant filtration.
I can accept the fact that either study may not be perfect. I don't believe all the different manufacturers claims of horse power gains by using their bolt on products either even with supporting dyno charts. It's all self serving. Studies can be skewed one way or the other and are also subject to interpretation. What I do believe however is my own two eyes and no studies, charts or articles will convince me otherwise. If people are happy with the products they use then that's great. In the end that's all that matters.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      01-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #29
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I can accept the fact that either study may not be perfect. I don't believe all the different manufacturers claims of horse power gains by using their bolt on products either even with supporting dyno charts. It's all self serving. Studies can be skewed one way or the other and are also subject to interpretation. What I do believe however is my own two eyes and no studies, charts or articles will convince me otherwise. If people are happy with the products they use then that's great. In the end that's all that matters.
I agree 100%. I also, do not trust manufacturer claims. And yes, there are so many skewed studies on the subject, its difficult to tell if any of them are anymore valid than another.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
My wife's Porsche didn't come with an oiled air filter and neither did my BMW. If R&D thought it would be better than they'd put one in there.
The same R&D that think its a good idea to use plastic charge pipes?
I agree with you that manufactures are always trying to save a buck but I believe they use plastic charge pipes to avoid heat soaking..

In the grand scheme of things, how much more can an aluminum pipe possible cost them for them to look the other way on a potential engineering flaw.

A simple experiment could be done with a can of soda vs a plastic bottle. Put both in the refrigerator and see with one gets the internal liquid cooler, quicker.

Hint: The aluminum can wins every time over the plastic bottle; i.e. more "cold soak."

#Science
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #31
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Hint: The aluminum can wins every time over the plastic bottle; i.e. more "cold soak."

#Science
Conductor vs insulator.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #32
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Plastic molding is much cheaper than aluminum counterpart
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #33
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Well no, that's not an argument haha. This isn't about a mfg saying their filters are safe. K&N released every detail of their studies, tests, and research so it can be repeated and scrutinized. It's quite a bit more than just saying "Our product is safe. Believe us"

And again, the link you provided left out massive details in how the tests were performed, as well as didn't come to the same conclusions you were claiming it came to.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #34
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And again, the link you provided left out massive details in how the tests were performed, as well as didn't come to the same conclusions you were claiming it came to.

The graphs seem very obvious to me as does their testing procedures. The testing was done by an independent group with no affiliation to any filter manufacturer. I would give that more weight than any manufacturers sponsored testing. Like I said previously, people can interpret things differently. When testing results are aligned with what I've seen and experienced over the years I tend to give them more weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #35
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #36
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
LOL. True. I'll say no more on the matter. Back to your originally scheduled topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #37
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The graphs seem very obvious to me as does their testing procedures. The testing was done by an independent group with no affiliation to any filter manufacturer. I would give that more weight than any manufacturers sponsored testing. Like I said previously, people can interpret things differently. When testing results are aligned with what I've seen and experienced over the years I tend to give them more weight.
Doesn't matter what affiliation someone has when testing methodoligy is flawed and hidden, which I already pointed out how and why it was flawed and you had no response to. And you already agreed that your experience has no weight either due to sample size. You're being extremely thick, for whatever reason, so I digress.

And looking at your post history, you aren't as knowledgeable as you lead people to believe. Asking if removing a leaf grate will increase air flow, not knowing the difference between a charge pipe and a boost pipe, asking how to remove the bumper, and not knowing how tunes and turbos work.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 01-24-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #38
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And looking at your post history, you aren't as knowledgeable as you lead people to believe. Asking if removing a leaf grate will increase air flow, not knowing the difference between a charge pipe and a boost pipe, asking how to remove the bumper, and not knowing how tunes and turbos work.
I'd be happy to discuss this in a PM as opposed to continuing to crap up a thread. You seem to be obsessed with me for some reason and I'll gladly provide you with whatever information you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd be happy to discuss this in a PM as opposed to continuing to crap up a thread. You seem to be obsessed with me for some reason and I'll gladly provide you with whatever information you'd like.
I'm not obsessed with you. What bothers me is you are spreading misinformation, and projecting yourself as an expert, which isn't fair to people reading this forum who don't do the research themselves, or the mfgs of products you are saying are harmful. Discussing anything privately doesn't help the matter. Do and believe what you want, just don't spread the nonsense to others then shut down and derail the convo when you're proven wrong or questioned about the validity of your claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #40
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not obsessed with you. What bothers me is you are spreading misinformation, and projecting yourself as an expert, which isn't fair to people reading this forum who don't do the research themselves, or the mfgs of products you are saying are harmful. Discussing anything privately doesn't help the matter. Do and believe what you want, just don't spread the nonsense to others then shut down and derail the convo when you're proven wrong or questioned about the validity of your claims.

You make it hard to drop a subject. I've not seen where I've been proven wrong nor stated any untruth. I stand by what I've said. I tried to take the high road and offered to take this to PM as not to pollute the thread anymore but you make it very difficult. Discussing things privately would certainly clean up the thread however at this point I see no need.
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #41
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Can you guys take your debate to PM please or start a new thread, our questions on the intake will get lost in the noise.
      01-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #42
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 -FBO + PS2

I had no intention of getting an intake, however I am going PS2 end of the month and figured why not? Just ordered, as it is a worthwhile addition for the added sound alone imo. Great pricing, thank you X-PH! I'm not interested in this debate, but I have been running K&N style filters on almost all of my cars and motorcycles for 20 years without a single issue. If oil is making its way into your MAF or anywhere past the filter for that matter, simply too much oil was applied. This is easy enough to check and remedy by removing the filter and checking the MAF and plumbing for oil residue and cleaning/re-oiling if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
I had no intention of getting an intake, however I am going PS2 end of the month and figured why not? Just ordered, as it is a worthwhile addition for the added sound alone imo. Great pricing, thank you X-PH! I'm not interested in this debate, but I have been running K&N style filters on almost all of my cars and motorcycles for 20 years without a single issue. If oil is making its way into your MAF or anywhere past the filter for that matter, simply too much oil was applied. This is easy enough to check and remedy by removing the filter and checking the MAF and plumbing for oil residue and cleaning/re-oiling if necessary.
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Can whoever gets this installed first post some pics? I'm interested but want to see how it looks using the stock airbox as a shroud first.